Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

prom candy posted:

Looking for a good semi-casual multiplayer PC game to play when I'm too tired or don't have enough time to play Dota. Last time I made this request someone recommended Chivalry and I got some mileage out of that. Anything good lately? Edit: I probably already know the answer to this but is the new Call of Duty any good on PC?

If you like ARPG's both Path of Exile and Marvel Heroes are fun. The latter is more casual, but both can be played for as little as 10 minutes and feel like you accomplished something. Best part is they are truly F2P. You can easily play both without spending a dime.

I know at release CoD: Ghost was really bad. That may of changed, but judging by how they have treated previous PC releases I wouldn't bet on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I enjoy the random building up of your character aspect of Risk of Rain, Binding of Isaac, and Nation Red. What are some other games that have gameplay that is similar? The more choices and upgrades the better. Although those three are more action based, any genre would work.

I've played TOME and Rogue Legacy which are similar, but I don't get the same feel from them as the ones mentioned above. I think it's because the character you start with is predefined in both of those games.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

prometheusbound2 posted:

I'm interested in games where you start out with nothing or very little and gradually become powerful, wealthy, or influential. It's the power curve I'm interested in: games that have done a good job of reflecting this progression range from Quest for Glory(espicially IV), Saints Row 2, The Sims, and the Baldur's Gate series.

Both Saints Row 3 and 4 start you at the bottom and have you build back up. If you enjoyed 2, no reason you wouldn't enjoy these as well.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Repelex posted:

Any recommendations for a good timesink of a game? Looking for something singleplayer. I'm not into strategy games like Civ too much, I'd rather look for a good RPG. I also really like more "roguelike"-likes, like Binding of Isaac and Risk of Rain.

Tales of Maj'Eyal was released on Steam recently and there is a free version on the developer's site. It's a roguelike RPG where you pick a race and class, each with their own bonuses, and travel the land doing quest and collecting loot. The game is addictingly fun, huge, and fairly difficult.

As you progress through the game you will unlock new races and classes to try after you die. While it is very much a singleplayer game, it can connect to their chat system. I actually found this to be my favorite feature because not only are people talking, but every time someone accomplishes something in game or dies you see what they did. It makes the game feel more alive.

To give you an idea of how big the game is there are 1208 achievements and I have yet to see one that is for doing something trivial.

There is a thread about it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3457973

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Bouchacha posted:

What's a low-spec multiplayer game for PC I can get into that doesn't rely on either twitch or APM, and lets you get creative with counter-strategies?

There are a lot of CCG's that have or are coming out, but Scrolls and Hearthstone are my favorites.

Scrolls has a base cost and then some IAP purchases that can be made but honestly won't help that much. You play your cards on a battlefield with 5 lanes and try to defeat three of your opponent's idols at the end of the lanes. You will have a lot of choices to make each turn such as whether to gain resources or draw a card and moving your units around the battlefield. Of all the CCG's I've tried this is definitely the deepest and most tactical I've played.

Hearthstone is almost the opposite of Scrolls. You won't be able to make meaningful progress quickly without paying. The in-game currency is throttled by daily quest. It is very simple and very rarely is there more than a couple of real choices to make each turn. While I'm sure some would disagree with me, I also believe luck is a very large factor of the game. Despite all that, the game is very fun and has that Blizzard polish. It also benefits from having a large user base that will only grow once it hits open beta in January I think.

I actually have a code for the base game of Scrolls if you're interested in trying it out. Let me know.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

If I really, really liked the "plot your murder path from afar, drop the sentries, sneak in and knife everyone else to death without any individual mook ever knowing anything was wrong until they felt cold steel between their ribs" part of taking outposts in FarCry 3, what should I try next? Sniper Elite V2 is on sale now but I actually stopped sniping in FC3 because it was less fun/challenging than knifing all the fools.

You want Dishonored. It plays, if you choose to, exactly like you described.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
What are some good single player games that have a large town element that as you gather resources from exploring/fighting you are slowly upgrading the town and providing additional benefits for yourself? Something along the lines of your homestead in Skyrim, Garrisons in WoW, or even the crafting stations in Diablo 3, but where a lot of the focus of the game is on that.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

prom candy posted:

Looking for a somewhat relaxing game with some kind of item or crafting progression, fun core gameplay loop, maybe a good sound track. Something that's challenging and interesting but that I can play when I'm too tired to play Rocket League or CS:GO or anything that requires alertness. Some games I've played recently and liked:

Stardew Valley
Civ V
Cities Skylines

I'm pretty open to genres, styles, whatever, but ideally it would be a PC game that I can get on Steam.

X-Com, Tropico 3-5, King's Bounty Series.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Viperix posted:

I'm looking for a big open world RPG. Can be first or third person. Not looking for an older isometric game. I've already played most of the big ones, but was wondering if there's any I've missed.

I've played:
Fallouts
Elder Scrollses
Witchers
Dragon's Dogma
Soulsbournes
Borderlands
Dragon Ages

Kingdoms of Amalur is pretty fun. Don't try and do every side quest or you will burn out long before the game is over.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

CowboyAndy posted:

Eh, 30 bucks isn't too bad for a new game. And I do like some zelda, but every time I watch some clips of dot game heroes, it doesn't really grab me. I think I'll play through Demons Souls again, and try out Festival of Blood later on. Thanks!

Take a look at Darksiders. It plays like a 3D Zelda game is surprisingly good.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Mortley posted:

I'm gonna trade off a 3DSXL for a PS Vita tomorrow, since I'm done with Nintendo til Mario Kart comes out for the Switch. But I haven't played PlayStation games since a buddy had a PS2 when we were kids.

I'm getting physical copies of Borderlands 2 and Ragnarok Odyssey in the trade. I would mostly rather buy not-full-priced games from the PSN store.

I play a lot of analog board/designer card games (so mostly turn based) and some casual stuff on my iPad, and it would take a really exceptionally fun game for me to forgive anime graphics. If there are any board game ports or board-game-likes on the Vita, I'm interested, but as far as I can tell, there's not really any.

Is Civilization Revolution 2 really as bad as people say? I like Battle of Polytopia (iOS) but I got Civ IV on my MacBook and it's too complicated for me to enjoy straight away. I don't like to spend unfun time learning how to play in order to have fun playing.

I like puzzle-like roguelites like Hoplite on iOS or Militia on Steam. Anything to recommend in that vein?

Is the Vita good for FPSes? I don't like typical realistic/contemporary war FPSes but I liked hokey/unbalanced ones like Call of Juarez and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Anything like those?

I never got any good at fighting games. Any recommendations for one to learn? I'll probably get the Power Stone collection but I'm especially interested in a 2D game.

No board games. No puzzle roguelites I can think of.

Civ 2 is an okay game that if you liked Polytopia you will probably enjoy, but I have no idea how it plays on Vita.

The two FPS's that spring to mind are Duke Nukem and Killzone. Duke Nukem is a port of the original game and its expansions. Killzone has a short single player campaign and you can buy DLC that adds bots to the multiplayer and it plays pretty well.

The best fighting game on VIta is Marvel vs Capcom 3, but it's been taken off the store because of licensing. You can still find the physical version I'm sure. It has a mode that lets you set the super moves to touch screen which makes it pretty fun for people like myself who suck at fighting games.

Honestly the things Vita does best is having portable version of some popular Indie games, Anime games, and PSP/PS1. If something that plays Risk of Rain, Spelunky, Darkest Dungeon, Super Meatboy, and Rogue Legacy on the go isn't what you are looking for, you will probably be disappointed with it. Also realize the system is essentially dead and while a few games still come out that are great, don't expect much else than what's already there.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are there any games that are like XCOM or Darkest Dungeon except I don't actually have to play out the combat? Something like just the Geoscape from XCOM where I manage my bases and resources and research and put together squads of soldiers to send on missions which they complete on their own would be cool.

It's old, but Majesty sounds like what you're looking for. You manage a town and collect resources why setting up quest for NPC's to complete.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Flopstick posted:

Been having a surprising amount of fun with Counterspy, despite a few niggling flaws. What other period Cold War / M.A.D. games are there out there these days? I've played NOLF and NOLF 2 and MGS3 to death, and Papers Please, and Defcon, but I'm sure there must be others.

e; oh man, Phantom Doctrine looks awesome - but it's not out til next year. :(

Twilight Struggle.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Metal Cat posted:

Hi there, I'm looking for basically any single-player action game that allows you to constantly upgrade and mod your arsenal in specific ways, so that you can have all sorts of specialized and crazy guns for different types of enemies/monsters/etc. Kinda like the first Parasite Eve or Resident Evil 4. Doesn't really have to be a survival horror or anything, but the closer to the PE format, the better.

Tonally, It’s quite a bit different than what your asking for, but the Ratchet and Clank series has some of the most fun weapon upgrade systems and selections ever. The later games allow you to focus on certain stats and the weapons will evolve based on what you choose to upgrade. They also gain experience and level up separately from the upgrade system.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Xeras posted:

I’m looking for coop games I can sink a lot of hours in. I don’t mind survival games to some degree but I don’t like janky experiences at all. I enjoyed Heroes of Hammerwatch until it became bullshit at like NG+8. I want something with some form of permanent progression and not super punishing

Stardew
Divinity: Original Sin 1&2
Super Mario World 3D

Edit: Realize after these may be missing the permanent progression element, but they still will take quite a bit of hours to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
I really enjoy games where there is a lot of "game" going on, but I'm taking a back seat to the action. Especially games that require more effort at the start and then become more automated/easier later on through skill trees, town building, upgrades of some sort. Some examples..

Vampire Survivors and all the clones - I'm not having to aim, tons of upgrades and unlocks.
Stardew Valley/Nova Lands - Early on there is a lot to do, but as time goes on it becomes easier through upgrades and unlocks.
Facterio, Dyson Sphere, Satisfactory - Whole game is about automation
Majesty Series - Building a town while the heroes do the work.
Mini Metro/Mini Motorways - Small amount of clicks but mostly watching it play out, at least the way I play.
Idle Games - Probably have played and enjoyed most. Too many to list.

What other games have that type of feel where I may not do much for a few minutes while the game does its thing?

Malt fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 21, 2023