Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Can someone recommend a decent WWII multiplayer game that people are still playing, in the vein of Red Orchestra 2? I have been trying Heroes and Generals but the progression mechanics are a bit irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Try WW2 Online. Its more like Planetside but it is quite dated. I prefer it for flight and tanks. I also recommend Red Orchestra 1, as it's very different to 2. I think in some ways it is better, especially for tanks. If you want aerial or armoured combat War Thunder is the best pick. There's not that much choice for a modern infantry based WW2 game though unfortunately.

Yeah that's the issue, there are quite a few games but they are older so no one plays them.

Does WW2 Online still have a decent userbase?

And yeah I used to play RO1 some, it was certainly fun but most of the base migrated to the sequel. Although the RO1 base had an odd habit of treating tanks as one-man stationary turrets so I can't say that I am sad they changed them in RO2

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 23, 2015

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

cat doter posted:

So I'm looking for something pretty specific in a genre I don't know much about, my mother likes hidden object games and her birthday is coming up but I'm looking for expand her horizons a bit. I mean, hidden object games are basically crappy adventure games.

She likes horror and sci fi stuff, so any adventure games in those genres is a huge plus. Preferably they'd be well written and engrossing, good stories and poo poo. Also since she's new to this sort of thing it'd be awesome if they have a robust hint system. Anyone know if there's something that fits all those requirements?

It might seem odd but what about the Nancy Drew series of games? They are actually not that bad.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Protons posted:

Is Star Wars the Old Republic a traditional MMORPG, or is it a huge stand alone cRPG?

Can I parade around as a sith in an open world?

It's Wow with lightsabers

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Protons posted:

WoW with lightsabers could be cool. Has it received any updates, or will it look like the 12 year old MMO that it is?

It is still pretty solid looking, the style of graphics tends to hold up. I think they improved the F2P to be a bit less...draconian as well

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Protons posted:

Crafting was a pain in the rear end from what I remember. SWG was the only game I can recall that had degrees of quality on crafted goods. For example, you could craft your own medical packs to heal and buff yourself with, but depending on a.) the quality of materials you paid for or farmed extra hard for, b.) the quality of the fabrication machine you used to create the items, which then had it's own levels of component quality, and c.) your skill at crafting, you could easily make healing and buffing items that would be 10x better than someone who used standard stuff.

The Repopulation seems to be making things even more confusing on top of this by allowing you to enrich either a single plant or an entire area for a period of time, plus gigantic crafting trees, and oh dear god

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ambaire posted:

I've played a bit of Space Engineers and Starmade and I am currently trying out Empyrion - Galactic Survival. Are there any other good / promising space survival games in the vein of you start on a planet and have to gather resources to craft a spaceship to get resources from asteroids and other planets to build bigger and better ships and space bases? I just have a lot of trouble with building ships from scratch creativity. I know that's the whole point of the three games I mentioned.

When I play modded minecraft, my base is 99% of the time an ugly hole in the ground or machines sprawling over the surface.

It doesn't have quite the same focus, but have you tried Starbound?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I have an urge to play a shop/merchant game, a la Recettear. Any suggestions?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LLSix posted:

If you don't mind a mobile game with optional IAP come join us in Shop Heroes. It's a ridiculous amount of fun.

I started a shop yesterday and it is pretty fun, will see how it pans out.

Tagra posted:

Holy Potatoes

Interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks all!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

spasticColon posted:

What's a good multiplayer FPS on PC that people are actually playing and isn't Call of Duty or Counterstrike?

Team Fortress 2
Dirty Bomb
R6: Siege
SW: Battlefront
Planetside 2
Rust
War Thunder tank mode?

What kind of game are you looking for? Do you want a CoD that isn't a CoD?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

spasticColon posted:

I was thinking something along the lines of Unreal Tournament or Quake.

Tribes: Ascend might be good for you, although I'm not sure what the population is anymore

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

To be honest I don't know how loot-based it is since I haven't actually played it, but have you looked at Killing Floor 2? I bring it up just because it's along the same lines as Payday.

It is not loot based any more than something like Counterstrike would be.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am interested in games with really interesting loot systems. I don't think Diablo and Diablo clones have interesting loot systems, or at least not the type I'm looking for. Rather, I'm thinking of games like those in the Infinity Engine series(and, by extension Pillars of Eternity) where equipment has unique features beyond randomly generated features(so the Elder Scrolls is also out). I am particulary interested in games with lots of fluff background text for their equipment, where unique items have their own stories attached to them.

I'm indifferent to genre, but I think this will most commonly seen in RPGs. Strategy games with neat backstories for technology and units are also cool: Age of Wonders does this well.

I understand Dark Souls is supposed to be good for this, but I've tried and really don't enjoy the gameplay.

If you like Pillars of Eternity then there are a lot of DnD-style RPGS that would likely fill that space too. Baldur's Gate has been remastered, Never winter Nights, Planetscape: Torment, even Wasteland 2.

Dark Souls is fun but the game play really is the game, the story is secondary

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

I feel like playing some kind of single-player game similar to board/card games, fun but shortish and relaxing/chill. Paced like Weird Worlds or Runespell. Guild of Dungeoneering sounded perfect until I read some reviews. Any suggestions?

It's a bit more active than most board games since it has actual combat, but Hand of Fate is pretty neat

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

Second: I need a FPS that is very fast to get playing. Doesn't have to be Steam. Can be anything, really. I just want to get up and shooting fast, when I've got a few minutes to kill. Right now I've got nothing that scratches that itch.

Rise of the Triad would be a good one as well, very frantic old-school shooting.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SWAT 4 is the best police game ever made, but it's not top-down but rather a first person squad command game. Non-lethal options are available, and you can only fire without being penalized if you or another officer is under threat.

Some day they will make a passable spiritual sequel to SWAT and I will be overjoyed. I missed the boat on people playing it, which is really unfortunate.

I guess Rainbow Six: Siege is somewhat like that but the fun of SWAT were the scenarios and taking people down non-lethally, rather than just cluster-bombing every room you come across.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

inkblottime posted:

I'm mildly interested in DayZ but don't want to drop $35 on something I'm only curious to try out. Plus it seems to be in perpetual alpha which is never wise to invest in. So I'm waiting for a sale on Arma 2 deal on Steam so I can try the DayZ mod version.

If I was attracted to the beautiful open-world, casual FPS sandbox, pseudo-mmo survival game feel, would this be a decent place to start? Am I right in saying the standalone version is cleaner with better quality of life interface but the mod version has more stuff going on (missions, gear variety, maps)? Are there similar games I should check out first that aren't morbidly overpriced?

I figure I might even have some fun playing the base version of Arma 2 as well but honestly I know very little about the game. I just like how it looks.

Of all the survival games on the market I don't think I would recommend DayZ; I have heard that they never really fixed a lot of the jank in the engine and it can be pretty rough. You may be better off trying something like Ark or Rust instead.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Does anyone know of either

A) a good naval-based RTS, the kind where the ships are more than glorified transports. Something like Naval War: Arctic Circle, just not as bad.

Or

B) A submarine Sim game in the vein of Silent Hunters. I like playing III, but I am in the mood for something different and the later installments apparently suck

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Boy are you in luck. If you don't mind space navy, Battlefleet Gothic plays just like a standard naval game but with Warhammer. Command Modern Air/Naval Operations is the classic Harpoon style highly grognardy Air/Naval game from anywhere from (kinda) WW2 to modern day. Atlantic Fleet is an alright budget strategy game about the Battle of the Atlantic, and it plays alright. Definitely worth the low price. Steam and Iron is a fantastic WW1 naval strategy game, but Rule the Waves is a game where you actually manage the development of WW1 era navies and the technological focuses can change if you use that option. Both S&I and RtW have terrible MS Paint graphics though, but they are ridiculously good for naval strategy.

For WW2 subsims, SH4 is actually really good. Playing in the Pacific Theatre is a nice change of pace and it just looks and plays much much better. There's also a multiplayer co-op submarine game called HMS Marulken which has a free demo, and everyone controls different bits of the sub. Cold War-era we have Sub Commander, which is kinda like FTL in that you have a crew and you're not the omniscient captain submarine god. Dangerous Waters is basically Silent Hunter but with modern subs.

Go play Metal Gear Ac!d and Ac!d 2.

I ended up getting Gothic, it is really a great game, especially since it is on sale :v: It's a bit hard to figure out and the AI is a bit retarded but the bones are great.

I thought that SH4 was kind of poo poo though? I heard that they changed a lot of UI stuff that made it just bad across the board.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

but without the focus on anime women losing clothing.

Heresy

Are you looking for basebuilding elements or just tower defense gameplay? There is a game called Deathtrap on steam that has pretty decent reviews, seems like your thing

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

Turns out it is closing down next month.

Wait, really? It only came out last year, and that was all technically a beta still. that must be some kind of record

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Malt posted:

What are some good single player games that have a large town element that as you gather resources from exploring/fighting you are slowly upgrading the town and providing additional benefits for yourself? Something along the lines of your homestead in Skyrim, Garrisons in WoW, or even the crafting stations in Diablo 3, but where a lot of the focus of the game is on that.

Not sure if it would count, but the Rune Factory series is Harvest Moon crossed with a dungeon crawler RPG

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Flopstick posted:

Anyone know of any (PC) strategy games with a decent skirmish mode, where you buy your units in advance - like the original Battlefront CM games? I believe they got rid of Quick Battle, or at least unit purchasing, in the newer ones. I've got zero interest in playing a campaign; I just want to assemble a hosed-up army and go improvising on some random terrain against the AI.

Total War? The single battles have a point system if I remember correctly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

prom candy posted:

Looking for a somewhat relaxing game with some kind of item or crafting progression, fun core gameplay loop, maybe a good sound track. Something that's challenging and interesting but that I can play when I'm too tired to play Rocket League or CS:GO or anything that requires alertness. Some games I've played recently and liked:

Stardew Valley
Civ V
Cities Skylines

I'm pretty open to genres, styles, whatever, but ideally it would be a PC game that I can get on Steam.

Farming Simulator is great for this. Euro truck can be good too, although it's a bit too slow for my personal tastes

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Evilreaver posted:

I need a game that can eat time. As much time as possible, I'm talking Civilization or Minecraft levels of time-eating. A minecraft-like would be perfect, or survival games in general; alternatively an ARPG like Diablo or something would work. Any sort of game that encourages you to waste five hours at a time, then come back tomorrow and do it again.

Difficulty: Gotta be Steam VR / Vive. So far all I've seen as decent games are once-through stories or arcade-type no-progression games (Brookhaven Experiment is FANTASTIC for what it's worth)

I would like one of those too :v:

I guess you could do the wave shooters like Out of Ammo but there just isn't anything with that much depth yet. You can however play Mine craft in VR if that is your thing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kind of a long shot, but can anyone recommend a game similar to Banished that doesn't drop off in difficulty after the first few years? I am thinking something like Rimworld, just instead of enemies you are facing crop devastation, population collapse, etc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

thebardyspoon posted:

Can anyone recommend a game with an eastern setting, preferably in the past or just pure fantasy. Not too fussed on specific genre, just in the mood to play something like Jade Empire that I haven't played, was rewatching Avatar and it's made me want something with that sort of flavour.

Stuff I have already played that might fit this.
Onimusha 1, 2 and 3
Tenchu
Jade Empire

Kind of a weird flavor, but Age of Wushu, an martial arts MMO, is fun enough to mess around with if you don't mind a but of confusion and grind.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

What's a good game that can replace the charming bits of Swat 4? I watched a spoonyone Let's Play of it forever ago, and really liked watching it unfold, and wanted more of that.

There really aren't many things that do cool story bits or tactics anymore, unfortunately. It's a bit off base but you might try Brothers In Arms for the squad gameplay though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kind of an odd question, but I'd like recommendations for PS4 games that use teamwork but aren't shooters. We are getting a PlayStation for my 15 yo sister in law because she has strong social anxiety and working together with strangers in games can help with that. We are getting her FFXIV, but what other popular online multiplayer games are there?

To be sexist, being a dude my first thought are always shooters and action games, but that's not quite her speed.

We would prefer something that you would use chat for, but if it's just normal team gameplay without chat (ie Rocket Leauge) that would be fine too. She doesn't really have any friends locally so couch co op is kind of out.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 20, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Looking for a ~8 hour or shorter game with a nice ending to beat this weekend. I've played Limbo and Inside (and Undertale while we're at it) and not looking for roguelikes nor Point and Click/Telltale games (unless exceptional). Open to pretty much every genre.

How about "walking sims"? Until Dawn is an amazing horror game the first time around, and Life is Strange is pretty solid too

bob human being posted:

I really like games with NPC allies. Anything stick out to anyone?

SWAT 3/4?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

bob human being posted:

Maybe something thats like an RTS with an AI army and I play as a hero?

edit: i really like having commanders and peons on my side in dynasty warriors for example

Brutal Legend has this in the second half, although the game is a bit ehh

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lemon posted:

A couple of my favourite games in recent years were Undertale and Night in the Woods. I think they shared a few similar aspects that I liked, particularly:

Funny dialogue
Small cast of well-defined characters
Excellent soundtrack (possibly the most important part)
Underlying melancholy

I'm on PC and I'm open to any suggestions that might fit the bill. I've heard that Life is Strange is popular with the Undertale/NITW crowd but I watched a bit of the newest one and it really didn't appeal, mainly because I thought the dialogue and particularly the voice acting was pretty bad. In fact, not having voice acting might be another thing from those two games that worked for me.

Fran Bow is a pretty awesome point and click game with a very dark story, would recommend.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Hearts of Iron 4 is shockingly easy to get into for a Paradox game, it isn't turn based but has shades of it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Troll answer: Dwarf Fortress.

What about Rocket League? Being "good" at it requires a lot but just having fun with it is barely one step above random flailing around.

If he likes puzzles and city builders them Factorio might be a good choice; I personally don't think the learning curve is very steep.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 3, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Are there any MMOs left on the market that have party-based leveling systems, where you group up with people to take down mobs? I've been watching too many animes about the power of friendship and am starting to miss the old school where you actually talked with people in the overworld because you weren't carried through the world on a flying carpet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want something with really good feeling punchy shooting or "gunfeel" (and I don't really know how to say that without sounding like I should be put on a list), probably an FPS. Examples are games like FEAR 1 and Call of Juarez Gunslinger, the opposite would be stuff like... Prey or Hitman, I guess?

It's very subjective and know it when you see it, I've been playing a lot of strategy games and RPGs so I guess I have a craving to shoot a dude with a big magnum and have it feel good. Haven't played any of the modern Far Crys, considering 4

The population is probably way down, but Red Orchestra 2 has some of the most "punchy" guns I know.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yes; play Hoplite.

Also Tiny Town and You Must Build A Boat.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

whats a good game to play high as poo poo?

I like Doom, Far Cry 5, Doom, Prey, Bioshock, Systemshock, Doom 98, Doom II.

Borderlands.

I typically like low key games for that though, Farming Simulator is my absolute jam

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Been really busy lately and too tired to game at night, but I still need to get some sort of gaming fix. As such, I'm looking for a game that I can play on PC in 15-20 minute sessions where I can feel like I'm making progress each time that I play, but isn't so complex or in-depth that I'm going to forget what I was doing if I can't play it for a few days. Bonus points if I can play it in windowed mode and/or M+KB.

I feel like this maps closest to a roguelike, I would be down with one of those but other genres are cool too. Maybe Dungeonmans? I've had it in my Steam library for a while but have yet to play it.

If you like card games then something like Slay the Spire might be good for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I put 80ish hours into Terraria pre-1.3 and I would love to fall back into that hole, but those play sessions usually end up going for an hour or more lol. Maybe I should just do it anyway.

If you are interested in 2D builder sims you might like Oxygen Not Included, a colony management game from the people who made Don't Starve. It is easy to spend ten hours at a time with it though.