Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Any truly great strategy games that scratch the same itch as XCom (The original)?

I've played Jagged Alliance and Xenonauts, but they weren't anywhere near what I hoped they would be.

Also looking for games like Liberal Crime Squad in terms of organisational management, along with a roguelike as interesting as Dwarf Fortress' Adventure Mode or mods that sufficiently change the adventure mode.

Oh, and also a game like Homeworld in terms of concept, i.e running from a stronger enemy until you have enough firepower to take them on. Tried AI War, thought it was pretty average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

MrBims posted:

Tried XCOM: Long War? It is a mod for Firaxis XCOM that completely revises the game mechanics and balance to be a war of attrition the way the original UFO Defense was. Failing missions because you were too greedy and didn't know when to run is a real possibility, and your barracks is a revolving door that should see at least 30 soldiers at any given time, unlike how you could stick with half a dozen guys in vanilla Firaxis XCOM. We're going nuts over it in the XCOM thread, can't get enough of it.

Is the vanilla version still okay? Because I don't have Enemy Within.

al-azad posted:

If Xenonauts isn't what you're looking for then I don't know what you want from a strategy game. Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance 2 have better combat than XCOM and Xenonauts has better map and base management although interception is wonky.

Xenonauts just lacks any charm whatsoever, its far too clinical. Jagged Alliance 2 is too much work when it comes to stat grinding else you aint hitting jack poo poo. Silent Storm though is an amazing game, and so is the sequel, but I've played them far too much.

GreatGreen posted:

Are there any decent single player games with MMO type combat? And by MMO combat, I mean WoW style, real-time-with-global-cooldown combat.

Xenoblade Chronicles. It is the closest thing I can think of, and is absolutely fantastic.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Len posted:

This seems like a pretty good place to ask. I'm looking for something on a handheld with a "city building" sort of miniquest. Like how in Suikoden as you recruit people you see your city flesh out, Bravely Default how you can rebuild that city that got destroyed, same minigame in Xenoblade Chronicles.

I like seeing the world kind of change and grow as I play. I don't know how many games like that exist on handhelds so I'm open to all suggestions really but handheld would be ideal.

There are fantastic mods that do this for most Bethesda games. Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and of course Skyrim.

But be warned, the Skyrim one isn't made by the same guy as the first two, and I haven't tried it. It is fantastic in Fallout 3 and New Vegas though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bouchacha posted:

How's the AI in Rome:TW? My last foray into the TW series was Medieval and the battle AI would just blindly march into my hyper defensive position at the edge of the map and get slaughtered. Reinforcements would do the same thing. It was a slaughter queue that worked every time.

Much better. Now, there's a Rome 2. And a Shogun 2. And a Medieval 2. All three of those are unimaginably better than the originals. Rome 2, only graphically, many have issues with it as a game but I personally like it.

al-azad posted:

I need to get around to playing this so I'll take it as a recommendation.

I also really love Half Minute Hero.

Played Half Minute Hero 2? I had issues getting into it, because it starts super serious. But it does get quite a bit better.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

double nine posted:

I'm looking for a game that allows me to go "rags to riches", from lone trader/warrior/whatever to CEO/Emperor/God of a massive empire. Preferably with options for both violent and nonviolent means. The problem is that the games with this theme I've played, like Warband and X3, have been very frustrating from a UI point of view. I want easy management options, stats, graphs presented in an accessible way. Basically I don't want to feel like i'm fighting against the user interface.

Can be first person or third person or isometric, can be anything from fantasy over sci-fi to medieval to horror; there can be a large combat part in the mechanics, but there should be a solid economic backbone that I can manipulate. What I don't want is a Civ/eu4 style country manager, I want to build factories/farms, start as a small entity on the payroll of an empire and end up usurping/conquering that empire.

You might be looking for something like The Guild 2. I'd also recommend The Last Federation, but that's less rags-to-riches and more about manipulating the galaxy's economy to create a federation. And yes, you can commit genocide in order to reach that goal.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ninety posted:

I want to try submarine simulation games, where's a good place to start? I'm new to sim games in general but I'm not worried about complexity and difficulty as much as quality. I don't want to learn how to play one of these things and find out the game I picked out is a buggy broken mess afterward.

Silent Hunters 3 and 4. Sub Commander is a good free modern sub game. Dangerous Waters is also a good modern sub game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

khy posted:

I really like games that have battles with a sort of epic scale to them, like a game set during a war and you can go to the front line and there'll be bullets flying everywhere, artillery shells pounding down around your ears, enemies around most corners, friendlies laying down covering fire, all that kind of stuff. I know a lot of the CoD games have some parts like that but it never seems to last long enough for my tastes.

CoD 1 is like this all the way through, along with other great WW2 movie tropes. It's literally WW2 movies the videogame. Planetside 2 also does this, alongside the now standalone Project Reality mod for Battlefield 2.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

khy posted:

Yeah, CoD1 is still my favorite of the series. Is there anything new though that might also fit what I'm interested in?

Multiplayer, you have the Project Reality mod for BF2, the Tactical Battlefield mod for Arma 3 and the Red Orchestra series.

Singleplayer wise, the Medal of Hono(u)r games for PS2 got that feeling nailed down. Rising Sun started with Pearl Harbour, and that was an amazing sequence. Most games that really nail that feel though are actually flight sims. Falcon 4.0, Wings over Flanders Fields, IL-2 1946.
Falcon is a fantastic game modelling modern air combat. If you or a wingman ejects, you can find the evac chopper going to rescue that pilot. It's one of the best dynamic campaigns out there, with fighting everywhere.
Wings over Flanders Fields has a constantly active fight in No Man's Land. The gunfire and artillery are rather haunting as you struggle to fly your piddly little biplane.
IL-2 1946 is the best WW2 flight sim. There are so many different planes and theatres, and with mods you can see hundreds of planes flying and bombing ground installments.

Basically, if you want that kind of scale planes are really where its at.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Besson posted:

I have AoEII HD but want something more if it exists.

Rise of Nations HD is great, but it isnt new.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dongattack posted:

RTS games or similar about destroying humanity as a non-human source? There's something really cathartic about decimating all we know and hold dear and laughing amidst the rubble.

Stuff like Grey Goo and the C&C3 Scrin campaign is what i'm talking about.

Must be a PC game
Not more than say 10ish years old
Not Universe Sandbox and stuff like that, a actual game
Not painfully obvious classics like say Dungeon Keeper or whatever

Dungeons 2 is pretty good for that. Something like Warcraft 3 is also not bad. Warhammer Dawn of War is also really good for this if you play Dark Crusade and prefer sci-fi since you can be all manner of non-human aliens with differing views (orks are amazing).

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dongattack posted:

What do you have outside RTS?

Overlord is a very fun series where you play as Sauron pretty much.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I just watched John Wick and I want to play a game that makes me feel like cool John Wick man.

John Wick is playable in Payday 2.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

Are those last 3 any good? Laser Squad Nemesis, Steam Marines, and Battle for Wesnoth?

Laser Squad Nemesis is by Julian Gollop, the maker of the original XCom. It's probably not bad. Battle for Wesnoth has some pretty good campaigns, but it can be very hit or miss.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

What are some really good, free or very cheap, online two player games?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Preferably not MMOs or grindy free to play games. We'll check out Hammerwatch, thanks!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Canemacar posted:

I've also heard of Elite: Dangerous, but wasn't there some internet drama about that game that I would want to steer clear of?

I don't believe Elite had any drama other than the fact that its always-online, you might be thinking of Star Citizen. If you want to explore alien environments then you might enjoy games like Starbound or Nom Nom Galaxy (Wherein you exploit an alien planet to make soup). Mirrormoon EP looks cool too.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Can someone recommend a decent WWII multiplayer game that people are still playing, in the vein of Red Orchestra 2? I have been trying Heroes and Generals but the progression mechanics are a bit irritating.

Try WW2 Online. Its more like Planetside but it is quite dated. I prefer it for flight and tanks. I also recommend Red Orchestra 1, as it's very different to 2. I think in some ways it is better, especially for tanks. If you want aerial or armoured combat War Thunder is the best pick. There's not that much choice for a modern infantry based WW2 game though unfortunately.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

kedo posted:

What are some games (bonus points for open world), with engaging side activities that don't involve the main game mechanics? What I mean by that is that if the game is primarily about navigating the terrain while you shoot stuff, I'd prefer if the side activities didn't also involve navigating the terrain shooting stuff. Far Cry 3's is a good example of what I'm not looking for; the interesting side activities like hunting or base clearing are the same as everything else in the game, it's just more jumping and shooting.

Yakuza and Sleeping Dogs, and if you can get ahold of it, Shenmue. These are the best games for this.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

kedo posted:

I've been super curious about Metal Gear Solid 5. I haven't played a Metal Gear game since maybe... I don't even know. 2? It's been a long, long time and I have zero idea what's going on with the story and who any of these characters are. How much does that matter?
But thanks much, folks!

Doesn't matter at all, but MGSV is not worth its asking price. I've put in 80 hours, but that's because I'm a diehard fan. It becomes a boring repetitive slog with little to do. I'd wait for a sale if I were you.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The core gameplay is decent and I won't bash that, but the missions, the setting, the story, the themes, the characters and the progression are all worse than previous games in the series. And if you prefer to play games optimally, you'll find few ways to do so in MGSV. It offers a wide variety of things to do, but most of them result in leaving traces of your presence or alerting people. For the stealth-centric players, you are neglected. I not once had to find a place to hide in my 80 or so hours of play. Mission 43 was the one shining light, even in the death of this game.

Big flaws: Very few interiors, causing an alert means fighting and not finding a place to hide, weak story outside of one, one set piece (which is admittedly loving incredible), cut content the size of an extra game (Or is it Kojima making a commentary on the Phantom Pain, feeling the loss of something that clearly should be there even though that's still loving stupid), fewer context-related codec calls and many repeated ones (I wanted to talk to Ocelot about this new rifle I just ordered, not here the same spiel about Russian soldiers for the 50th time), and a terrible mission that removes one of your strongest assets whilst also costing you a lot of resources (Mission 45 is poo poo and the workarounds to avoid it are shittier).

Boss fights: There is only one notable one and its alright. The other two are awful and are simply an exercise in frustration.

People praise the gameplay as the best thing to happen to stealth action in a long time, but honestly Splinter Cell Conviction and Blacklist did the exact same thing but with better levels but less gadgets. Its the amount of doohickeys and strange items you have at your disposal that make it fun, and the voice acting for the enemy forces is superb. Oh, and the open world isn't worth caring about since really its just a group of outdoor bases with outposts between them and nothing happening. Imagine a slightly less interesting Far Cry 2. Levels have very little artistic design meaning places totally lack any character like Shadow Moses in MGS1, Big Shell in MGS2 and everywhere in MGS3. Camp Omega in Ground Zeroes is a much better designed base than anything you find in Phantom Pain. The few interesting areas are used maybe once each, everything else is relegated to side roads near these bases. Its the most boring base that is used the most, and that's really disappointing because there are a few areas that are decent.

I love MGS to bits. But MGSV is not worth it at full price, not at all. The music they have in it is great, and the cassette tapes are also great. But they don't match the superb soundtracks of the previous games (which are not at all included in this one, although I heard Nuclear Warhead Storage and Theme of Tara will be in MGO) and the game itself completely lacks character. It also forces you to replay the tutorial for contrived reasons, which is a whole 1-2 hours long and honestly one of the weakest introductions to an MGS. Take recommendations with a pinch of salt, because there's a good chance it won't be anywhere near as good as people make it out to be. It's being held to the same high pedestal as Bioshock Infinite was, which was artistically great but had terrible shooting. This is the reverse.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Is there anything like Harvest Moon or Rune Factory but on PC? I remember hearing about one game like it, but I forgot the name.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

HMS Boromir posted:

Are there any games that have a campaign with a meta-map like Rise of Nations and Dark Crusade? RTSes or turn based stuff are both fine. I just want something where I can play individual maps and gain persistent advantages as I conquer more territories.

Definitely Ardennes Assault for Company of Heroes 2.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Manic X posted:

Undertale.... Yes or No?

Play the demo. If the demo is what you like, then get the full game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Manic X posted:

What fun party games are out there at the moment; on level with Cards Against Humanity and Jackbox

Tabletop Simulator's Superfight DLC is great. Its a polite Cards Against Humanity with superheroes and powers instead of jokes. Some combinations are hilarious.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Sorry for not being clear, trading/missions and stuff are still good, it's just that I'd like the game to lean more to pew pew pew rather than the Spreadsheet Simulator 2015 that all my X3 games end up being. That's why I asked specifically about Elite: Dangerous.

Thanks for the tips, anyway. I knew about War Thunder but I'll take a look at the other one.

You played I-War? They're fantastic games. Fully newtonian physics, which is coupled quite nicely with the ability to tow containers. Which also have the full newtonian physics. No need to use torpedoes to take out capital ships or space stations thanks to this.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

dylguy90 posted:

Empyrion is awesome. I haven't seen anything like it, but I've heard Space Engineers is similar in style to it. Plus they just added planets.

As for me, I've been obsessed with maritime trading sims lately. Been playing Sunless Sea, Port Royale 2, and Patrician 3. I'm looking to explore this genre some more. Any suggestions? (Already own X3)

If you want to explore the combat side of things, you might want to take a look at Naval Action. That's Age of Sail era ships, although I think you can maybe be a trader now in it. Alternatively, maybe you should try things like Grand Ages Medieval if trading is what you're looking for.

Snowy posted:

I'm looking to get a vita game as a present for a friend. They like Japanese games, like Ni No Kuni and Dangan Ronpa. I don't know much about Japanese games, got any suggestions?

Have they played Persona? Because Persona 4 Golden sounds perfect for them.

Ambaire posted:

I've played a bit of Space Engineers and Starmade and I am currently trying out Empyrion - Galactic Survival. Are there any other good / promising space survival games in the vein of you start on a planet and have to gather resources to craft a spaceship to get resources from asteroids and other planets to build bigger and better ships and space bases? I just have a lot of trouble with building ships from scratch creativity. I know that's the whole point of the three games I mentioned.

It isn't space, but maybe you'd enjoy From the Depths. You're on a planet that's mostly water, and you build ships and aircraft and stations. There's also an actual reason to build things and gather resources other than just building bigger things: there are other factions on the planet and your job is to kill them all. They get progressively more advanced as the game goes on. The best thing about the game in my opinion has to be the fact that you can design everything in it, from the engines to the ammunition to your guns to the components of your missiles. But you don't have to do that complex stuff, you can just create things from the Steam Workshop. Alternatively, maybe Factorio, wherein you build a factory on an alien planet?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I am desperate for a Ghost in the Shell style game, but without the limitations that games like Deus Ex have (chugging power drinks and eating chocolate bars to stay cloaked). EYE just doesn't cut it for me.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

OperaMouse posted:

What are some of the better fantasy 4x or HoMM-like games out there at the moment?

Endless Legend is flat out the best out there.

al-azad posted:

Either EA's reboot of Syndicate or Satellite Reign.

I'm very disappointed with Satellite Reign, it's so dull and lacks any atmosphere outside of the ridiculously pretty world.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

pun pundit posted:

So not the GitS online game that's in early access on Steam, then? Is it terrible?

It's a pretty good shooter, but its more like CoD with a GitS skin.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

MooCowlian posted:

What is gits?

Ghost in the Shell. Cyberpunk series, first animated movie came out in 1995. Prominently features spider-tanks, cloaking and hacking people.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

prometheusbound2 posted:

I'm thinking MMORPGS may be good for this but I've found the gameplay of every one I've tried tedious and boring and don't like the dialog systems of "box of text, click okay, no real options."

SWTOR is pretty good for a story based MMO, and if you want to explore then you might enjoy Miasmata.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm guessing that the lack of responses to my prior request means there isn't a game that exactly suits my preferences, so... let's see if I can settle. Here's my feature list. Can you suggest games that hit at least some of the bullet points? It must be a game where you can fly a spaceship between planets and explore them, and here are the things I want it to have as well...
  • Either a large scope or a lot of detail in the scope it does have, preferably both.
  • Being able to free-roam inside my ship and on planets.
  • Seamless transitions from space to planetside.
  • Being able to land on planets.
  • Some sort of resource-gathering and ship-improving mechanic. I don't care about building elaborate structures on-planet.
  • Stuff to do in space, whether it be resource-gathering or combat.
  • Stuff to do on the planet, with the proviso that it not be 'grab a pickaxe and slowly and tediously carve out a mine'.
Any suggestions? (Oh, and I know Spore hits some of those bullet points, but I've already played it to death.)

Elite Dangerous is getting that stuff through the Horizons expansion. You can always go further back to Elite 2. You might enjoy Evochron Mercenary, and the X series too if you don't mind a lack of landing on planets. If you're especially patient, just wait for No Man's Sky and/or Star Citizen.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

Is there a good way to play that on modern machines? Google's suggested a couple different remake projects, but I don't know if any of them are any good.

Watch this. All of his videos are good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Does anybody know of any software that'll let me receive keyboard inputs over the internet? I want to play some X-Wing Alliance with a buddy with him pushing the buttons and me flying. I know Teamviewer does clicks, but I don't think it does keyboard.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Faerie Fortune posted:

So my 11 year old nephew just got Steam and I want to fill his library with some fun, good games for him to play as a nice little surprise for him when he next boots up his laptop! Its not the best laptop in the world so it can't run anything new and shiny, but he likes building/crafting games like Minecraft and Terraria, and he's into Five Nights at Freddy's as well so I grabbed him Spooky's House of Jumpscares since its free. Is there anything else age-appropriate that'd run on a 5+ year old laptop?

The original Rome Total War, maybe Medieval 2. Not building things directly, but instead building up empires always captivates kids.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

signalnoise posted:

Play Fallout 4. If you like it a lot, play Fallout New Vegas. If you find yourself liking the story a whole bunch and want more of that, play Fallout 1 and 2. Only play Fallout 3 if you find yourself rocking back and forth itching for more

New Vegas is only good if you like poo poo design and cover for it calling it "the classic rpg experience". gently caress Cazadores. If all Obsidian did was make quests, they'd make a great Fallout game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Factorio. Go play Factorio. Notify somebody before you do though, else you might starve yourself to death.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

apokaladle posted:

I should have mentioned that my platforms are DS, PSP, and PC. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Use an emulator, its worth it for Front Mission, especially 3 and 5.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Can someone point me to some effort posts about Solaris, Polaris, and Distant World's Universe? I'm trying to figure out which one to buy and play for a bit.

Just play Stellaris. The other two are over-complex and mostly crap. Distant Worlds has the saving grace of being able to automate everything, but its still fairly generic.

grate deceiver posted:

Is any of the farming simulators actually any good? I find games like Spintires or Viscera Cleanup Detail, where you operate heavy machinery or clean and fix stuff kinda relaxing and good to listen to podcasts to. Car Mechanic Simulator 2015 was cool for a while, but after I repaired every car in the game there's not much else to do. There's a few of these farming games with slightly different names, so it would be great if someone told me which is the best one and how much is there to do.

Go play Stardew Valley. Its a farming game and its great. Its a tad colourful which may be a deal breaker for you, but it's really really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Bob NewSCART posted:

Good recommendation for large scale modern warfare in an rts? I want to send battalions of tanks backed up by squads of bombers and battleships and poo poo

Wargame Red Dragon. On sale right now, be warned that it is actual modern warfare and not just "Tank, plane, bote." Very large scale, very pretty, very detailed, slightly spergy.