Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Hi there,

I'm looking for something but I'm not entirely sure of my criteria

* many builds : either at each game start if a single game is short, or with a free and complete respec if the game is long
* an interesting or innovative fight system, methodical / slow if realtime and turn-based otherwise
* something sandboxy or with many interactions
* not very grindy

Dredgers could work but I found the game sluggish. Turn-based and with an auto-explore, it would have been perfect.

Wildermyth , Gloomhaven and Low Magic Age fit relatively well. They are not sandboxes but the open world aspect is satisfying and the combat system is interesting enough for Wildermyth and Low Magic Age (and quite innovative for Gloomhaven)

Chronicon is the only hack and slash I like, thanks to the free respec, the interesting loot, the fun and dumb builds and the relatively low grindyness. But the combat system isn't extremely interesting.

Horizon's Gate was full of potential but it had too much of Final Fantasy Tactics (I didn't like Fell Seal at all for instance). I didn't like grinding jobs for the side characters, and while I liked the lean combat system, I disliked having to choose the orientation of each character after each turn. It was like a third of each turn for almost nothing.

Caves of Qud will probably be perfect, I'm waiting for the next big update.
Tales of Maj'Eyal is nice but too repetitive between each games with the fixed order of quests and dungeons, and I dislike the huge difficulty spikes hidden in the middle of uninteresting critters. I didn't like DCSS for some of these reasons but the last time I played was a long time ago and I should probably try again. I think Cogmind would fit but my screen is too small and I can't see well even my the max sized fonts.
Rift Wizard fits my criteria but it's not what I'm looking for right (hence some criteria are probably missing).
Trials of Fire is nice too.

I love deckbuilders roguelites but they are not very sandboxy or open wordly, and you can't really build what you want each game (which is something I love but not what I'm looking for right now). Chrono Ark is apparently a bit different so I bought it to see if it could do the trick.

I played (and love) most of the famous roguelikes (except CDDA) but it's not exactly the kind of games I'm looking for either.

If I manage to learn how to play Exanima it will be quite nice.

Master of Magic is perfect and I'm looking for this exact same freedom.Dominions 5 is nice but I play only in solo which is not ideal, and there is too much micro management during the endgame. I'm impatiently waiting for Conquest of Elysium 5.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Cantorsdust posted:

I agree Caves of Qud might be good for you, but don’t wait for whatever the next update is. It’s been in development for a decade, there will always be another update. If you want to try it, try it now. As someone who plays it and follows the thread regularly, it already had “the next big update” with the Cave of the Eaters and I don’t anticipate another big expansion level update soon.

Alright, thanks.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Danakir posted:

So I'm in the mood for some beating up vast quantities of monsters and stealing their pants to make myself stronger, but I don't feel like going back to Grim Dawn yet again. How does Chronicon hold up? It seems pretty interesting, but I'd love to hear some goon opinions before making the jump and purchasing it.

Chronicon is the best ARPG / Hack & Slash that I know of.
Usually, this is a genre with very little respect for your time. Chronicon is the game that respect you the most. Plenty of QoL, fun theorycrafting and builds, interesting high level content.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Is there a turn-based racing game?

I love racing boardgames like Automobiles (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/180680/automobiles), Flamme Rouge (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/199478/flamme-rouge) or Rallyman (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/256589/rallyman-gt).

Does a videogame with this kind of mechanism exist on PC?
In the future, maybe The Cyclist: Tactics (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1237070/The_Cyclist_Tactics/) or Deck RX (https://store.steampowered.com/app/1529180/Deck_RX_The_Deckbuilding_Racing_Game/) but they are not out yet.

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 30, 2021

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

It's a great recommendation but I already played it.

I play on both frequently. It's a good recommendation, but I was looking for videogame inspired by this kind of boardgames. I'll edit my question for clarity.

Thanks.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Is there a good solo and interesting solo auto chess on PC ?
I feel like there is potential in this formula, but I don't find Teamfight Tactics / Dota Underlords interesting enough and I'd like to play solo as my play rythm is very erratic through the day.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/915310/SNKRX/ is fun but too bullethell-y for my tastes

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 4, 2021

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
It's more the overall structure of the game I'm interested in, with a limited number of pieces you can obtain and upgrade, and set bonuses.
I think SNKRX nailed this part pretty well, but I'm not a fan of the gameplay part in itself.

Despot's Game might work, thanks.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
I think Wildermyth would work quite well.
Otherwise, roguelikes? Jupiter Hell or Golden Khrone Hotel are good entry points.
Gloomhaven may be a good fit too, but it's a boardgame adaptation.
With cards but with a 3d battleground, there is Trials of Fire.

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
I think Solasta also fits the requirements well.