Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Hypnolobster posted:

I've been needing Diablo 3 for a year or two now. I've played Titan Quest before and had all kinds of fun with it.

Someone recommend me a good Diablo 2/Titan Quest style action rpg. I have a serious gaming itch I need to scratch while I wait years for diablo 3.
Torchlight probably is the next best thing. There's a demo available on Steam if you want to try it out.

In general though good D2 clones seem to be few and far between, and you've already played the one I personally liked best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I haven't played it, but Robinson's Requiem is fairly big on the survival angle, to an almost frustrating degree at times from what I've heard.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Nastyman posted:

I won't have any internet access at my new apartment until next wednesday, so until I can get my online gaming fix again I need some entertainment.

I'm looking primarily for smaller games, abandonware, indie or freeware stuff, but anything I can download in an afternoon at work is fine.

I can play just about anything that's not an RTS or racing game, but I prefer RPGs, Tower Defense or puzzle games.
Could give Desktop Dungeons a try. While it may appear to be a rogue-like on the surface, it's closer to a puzzle game in many respects, with relatively little being left up to the whims of the pRNG. Somewhat challenging to get into (some classes more so than others), but quite satisfying when you do.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

President Ark posted:

I'd like a city-builder game in the vein of Pharaoh/the Caesar series where you have to build towns and have production chains of various items. Preferably one with a minimum of military stuff because I'm a wuss, and if at all possible one that can be bought online.
Settlers 2 may be worth considering.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

scr0llwheel posted:

I'm itching for a new X360 racing game and there seems to be a lot of choices. I've loved Burnout (especially Paradise), Dirt, and PGR. What's the goon-approved choice?
  • Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
  • Need for Speed Shift
  • Blur
  • Midnight Club: LA
  • Pure
  • Grid
  • Something else
Split/Second is pretty fun in an arcadey, "holy poo poo I'm playing a Michael Bay movie" way, and if nothing else offers an experience unlike most other racing games – when was the last time you got creamed by a crashing cargo aircraft mid-track, after all?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Split/Second is pretty fun and fairly unique as far as racers go, although chances are you'll get considerably more overall playtime out of Fallout: NV.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

a medical mystery posted:

Ascendancy is a good 4x for beginners, if only because the AI is so notoriously bad that you can pretty much roll through them at your own pace. Only part of it that could be tricky if I recall correctly is that ships and such move in 3 dimensions.
This is a good recommendation. There's even been a patch to fix the AI somewhat if you do want more of a challenge out of it after all!

Plus some of the music is really catchy, and even the goddamn tech tree is in 3D. :v:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Torka posted:

I'm looking for a third person over the shoulder perspective fantasy game with swords and magic and all that crap, single player, that isn't Divinity or Dragon Age. It doesn't have to be an RPG although I realise that most games fitting that description will be RPGs.

The most important thing for me is that the combat system looks and feels cool, I will tolerate a crappy story and bad voice acting etc. if it has that.
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King was surprisingly fun in this regard, or at least those levels that pitted you against hordes of orcs, easterlings etc. were (which thankfully means most of them). There was even a demo of it, although I'm not sure where you'd find it these days considering the game's age.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Try finishing Batman: Arkham Asylum, maybe. It's a great game, not terribly long, and relatively devoid of "bullshit" parts (the closest things probably being Scarecrow's levels and Killer Croc's lair, none of which are especially long). Unless you're playing on Hard difficulty it's also pretty easy, all things considered.

Personally I think Darksiders is well worth suffering through (as it were) too, but it's more...demanding than Batman: AA and easier to get stuck in. It's got Mark Hamill in it too though!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

AzMiLion posted:

I also have a request.

I'm looking for a RTS with lots of units customization like the Earth series and Warzone 2100(or the Ressurection project). prefereably multiplayer. has anyone gotten any suggestions?

My laptop is about a year old and can run most recent games on med-low settings.
This will probably be too much of a pain in the rear end to track down or get to run on a modern system, but Akte Europa featured some reasonably detailed unit customisation. Instead of building bases you merely captured existing structures (and had to keep resources flowing between them via maglev trains or something of the like, if I remember right) however, so it might not entirely be your cup of coffee.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Of all the roguelikes (using the term loosely) I've played, Desktop Dungeons probably is the one closest to what I'd call being fair. The RNG can still screw you with regards to map generation and monster placement, of course, but other than that there are very few if any random elements to it: you can determine exactly ahead of time whether you can win a fight with any given enemy, how much damage you'll take/resources you'll have to use up, and so on. Deciding when to attack also is entirely up to the player (monsters neither wander around nor engage on their own), so you can always fight on your own terms.

Of course in this and a few other ways DD is not dissimilar to a puzzle game of sorts, which was one of the things the OP is not looking for, so this is perhaps not overly helpful either. :shobon:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Deadcell27 posted:

Lately, I've really enjoyed New Vegas, so something in the RPG line of things could be good. Other stuff I've enjoyed lately has included Recettear, Just Cause 2 and Mass Effect 2. I
You might consider Prototype, which involves a similar brand of inflicting outrageous havoc on an unsuspecting civilian population as JC2 does.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have a lot of pent up anger and aggression today thanks to the last few hours of my life and nothing is helping. I need recs for games where I can absolutely rip apart entire armies of people or at least be the most vicious and oppressive ruler possible. It can be a bloody hack and slash, civ type, anything. I need to unleash some pure evil hatred. Any systems too. Thanks :glomp:
Just Cause 2, Prototype and Red Faction: Guerrilla are like the trifecta of ruining the lives of hapless, innocent citizens in the most creative ways possible. JC2 is the prettiest, features endlessly entertaining grappling hook/physics hijinks and has very good mod support which lets you turn into an invulnerable super-rear end in a top hat that can dual-wield machine guns, Prototype is pretty gory and lets you power-drop people off the Empire State Building or slice a dozen people in half simultaneously with your whip-arm, RF:G has excellent destruction physics and lets you ruin everyone's poo poo with a sledgehammer.

Really any of these should work, although in terms of pure, bloody mayhem Prototype probably wins.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Darksiders may be worth a shot, though admittedly its combat is somewhat less refined/deep than that of most of the games you've named.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Chas McGill posted:

Also, what's the difference between Ego Draconis and Dragon Knight Saga?
Dragon Knight Saga contains the base game plus the expansion Flames of Vengeance plus a sizable number of fixes and engine upgrades, i.e. it's in every way preferable to Ego Draconis.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Prototype was plagued mainly by sub-par boss fights and the almost unavoidable "you may possess superhuman powers, but here's some stupendous dudes who can and will out-superhuman even you!" kind of design choices that are present in virtually every game like it.

I won't deny that it loses much of its staying power if violently annihilating more or less defenceless soldiers and pedestrians in a multitude of ways just for the sake of doing so and watching the gibs fly isn't your idea of an afternoon extremely well spent, though.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

From Earth posted:

Looking for a game with the following properties:

- PC.
- Available on Steam.
- Fairly recent (last two, three years).
- Can be played with a controller (X-Box controller for Windows).
- Preferably little aiming (i.e., no FPS).
- Preferred genres: Action, adventure.
- No sports games.
- Not Assassins Creed (played through and loved AC2 recently, but I want to wait a month or two before I buy Brotherhood).
Darksiders is pretty fun, although there are one or two sections that do in fact require aiming which might prove frustrating. (God knows they annoyed the hell out of me as I couldn't aim using a stick if my life depended on it.) Apart from that it's a fun little game though, plus you get Mark Hamill nagging and mocking you!

General Emergency posted:

You can enjoy [Batman: Arkham Asylum] even if you aren't a big Batman fan.
And yeah, I can attest to this. Anything involving any kind of superheroes generally renders me unable to care any less, but Batman: AA got me hooked enough for three 100% playthroughs.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 17, 2011

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dalaram posted:

I'm looking for a squad based, encounter type game, similar in play style to an SRPG, but in more western format. Think Jagged Alliance, Blood Bowl, or Fallout Tactics. Something with progressive advancement, leveling of some kind, and hopefully with some loot or money based equipment mechanics.
While it's a fairly ancient game, Incubation might be worth looking into as I think it meets most of your criteria. It's even available on GOG with the other Battle Isle games for a mere :10bux:!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Rollersnake posted:

That still looks like it's mostly gun combat, so I dunno.
There's a fairly generous lock-on aspect to aiming, and the gunplay isn't exactly intricate in any case. There's also a demo on Steam so you'll probably want to try that!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Fallout 2 is kind of a pain to get started in compared to its predecessor, so I'm not sure I would recommend playing it first to someone who wants to get into the series one decade after its release. (I don't know about the graphics being better either – as far as the environment goes they're largely the same, but the various new NPC models are really poorly animated compared to the FO1 characters.)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Warning Forever is the closest modern thing to that game I can think of, which still isn't very close at all I don't think.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

These Loving Eyes posted:

What would be the best 4X(ish) and easiest to get into space conquering games? The ones I'm already aware of are Master of Orion 2 and Imperium Galactica but I've only briefly tried the former. I'd want something that you could learn rather quickly without memorizing a gazillion of tech trees and whatnot but it should still have some lasting appeal. I've never really played any 4X game even though they've always intrigued me.
Ascendancy is very basic for a 4X game, but also pretty easy to get into as a result. Likely requires DOSBox though, if you can find it at all.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Player 2 posted:

I'm looking for a brutally difficult game for PC that isn't super meat boy or space chem. Any genre, old or new. I realise that's hoplessley vague but I'll have a look at any suggestions, what was the last PC game that you remember being ball crushingly hard?

If it's on steam or gog that's a massive bonus
X-COM: Terror From the Deep on whatever the highest difficulty level is? :v:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Fil5000 posted:

Jesus man, do you want him to snap and hurl his computer out of a window?
Hey, he wants "ball crushingly hard", he can drat well have it.

(Although I'll admit that there is a very fine line between "hard" and "stupendous and frustrating".)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
It's vastly more simplistic, but WH40k: Space Marine has fun and extremely visceral melee combat that revolves around trashing scores of enemies, while the fact that your character remains vulnerable when performing execution moves (which are the only means of regaining health) means you need to be smart about where and when to use them, similar to ground takedowns in Batman: AA at least.

There's a demo for it on Steam. In fact, the demo more or less is all you need if you do end up enjoying it, because purely in terms of gameplay mechanics the full game doesn't offer that much more.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Conduit for Sale! posted:

What's a good open world racing game? I say racing game but all I really want to do is drive around an open world (preferably one with fun stuff to do); I don't care about actual racing.
You want Driver San Francisco. There are some actual races, car chases and the like in it, but it is also pretty fun to just cruise around bizarro SF and "possess" whatever car you want, occasionally weaving through oncoming traffic like a pro or taking over a semi to jackknife it on the freeway. :3:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pizza Dude posted:

What are some good pc games that are heavy on exploration? I'm playing New Vegas right now, but I'm looking for something a little more relaxing or less rpg based.
Minecraft probably is too obvious to even bother mentioning it. Space Engine isn't a game at all and its exploration aspect is very basic, but it features literally billions of procedurally generated star systems to visit, many of which yield some positively breathtaking vistas, and it's about as relaxing as it gets (unless it ends up crushing your dreams and beliefs by making you realise how utterly insignificant your existence is on a cosmic scale).

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
If I've got a hankering for some quality MoO2-style 4X action, which of these is more likely to hit the spot: Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity or Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition? Though depending on how prominently the RTS aspect figures into the former, I'm not sure it'd be my cup of coffee.

Edit: oh yeah, I'm not very good at micromanagement, if that makes a difference.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 6, 2012

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I didn't mention Sword of the Stars chiefly because I'd been under the impression that it was ludicrously buggy. It sounds like that isn't the case after all, but as it looks like there's a reasonable consensus on GalCiv 2 being decent, I've grabbed that and Alpha Centauri for the time being. Now to spend a lot of time not knowing what the gently caress. Thanks, guys!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Just Cause 2, no question about it. This is how amazing its islandiness is.

It's really almost tragic how overly ambitious Trespasser was, for its time.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I've got a bit of a hankering for an open world-ish fantasy RPG for PC. Substantial character customisation/progression is a must because yes, I totally do like playing virtual dress-up. :shobon: Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur (and Darksiders 2, if anything was going to bring it up) are out, but I think those are the only recent entries in the genre I've played. Something I've been eyeing despite it being a MMO (single player really is all I care about) is Guild Wars 2, but maybe that isn't a good choice? I don't know!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Osmosisch posted:

The most obvious one to me seems Dark Souls. It is the premier fantasy dress-up simulator of today.
Unfortunately it's also pretty much the antithesis of what I find fun otherwise, so that's a no-go.

Sounds like GW2 might come closest to what I'm looking for. Who would have thought? Not me, that's for sure.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Unless I'm missing something (i.e. Wikipedia and Google are lying to me), Dragon's Dogma hasn't had a PC release, has it?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The Saboteur lets you play as a perpetually pissed (in at least one sense of the word :v:) Irishman who habitually tosses Nazis off the rooftops of Paris while shouting things like "let's see how proud you are...with my FUCKIN' BOOT UP YER ARSE!". It also lets you light up a cigarette at the press of a button, which is at least as cool as the sunglasses mod for JC2 except it's actually built into the base game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that The Saboteur was a pretty sweet game and well worth playing no matter what. :colbert:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

My sister's SO's child saved up for a new computer. He wants to try something graphically intensive. But, alas, he is 9 years old so no Witcher 2 for him. In fact, no violent (i.e. high age rating) games at all.
Space Engine maybe? Get him hooked on space early. :science:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

i poo poo trains posted:

I'm looking for games to play while I listen to podcasts. The criteria are pretty much what you'd expect: they must not require my undivided attention (i.e. nothing requiring me to pay attention to a plot or read long sections of text), they must be playable with the sound turned most of the way down, they shouldn't require constant internet connection, ideally they should have gameplay that requires little higher-level thought and can be played for long sections of time, and it should be available on Steam for <$25. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for, some things I'd play in the past while listening to podcasts were singleplayer Men of War, FUEL, and Skyrim (the dungeon crawling parts, at least).
You may poo poo trains, but have you considered crashing trucks? There's even a demo, no reason not to try it!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Try Space Marine? I haven't played it, but it's supposed to be all about visceral combat with different weapons you can pick up that change your style.
It's got the "combat is pure bone crushing and fierce melee" part down pat for sure, but I don't think it really meets the rest of his criteria. Might still be worth a shot if he hasn't played it already; there's even a demo available that is pretty drat representative of the game.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dicky B posted:

Toki Tori. It is technically a platformer I guess but there is no jump button and no "platforming based" puzzles. It is 100% a puzzle game. The actual puzzles are top notch and increase in difficulty at a comfortable pace.
There's definitely some timing-based puzzles in there however so it might not meet all of the poster's criteria.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Hey guys, I'm looking for a PC game that feels like a superhero game, preferably in an open world environment.

I've already played Prototype, should I try the second one? I've read it's kinda bad.
I've also played Freedom Force (1 and 2) a couple of times.

It doesn't have to be a SUPERHERO game, just something that feels like it. You know, over the top action and super strong abilities.
Prototype 2 is a perfectly good game, with a more entertaining protagonist than the first one to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Cockashocka posted:

As for what I'm sort of looking for, anyone know of any good PC Driving games that's about middle range when it comes to realism?
I love the beejeezus out of Driver: San Francisco. On the one hand it's not very realistic (I don't think you can even shift gears manually, for instance), but it's not completely arcade-y either and the cars handle in a weighty, if slightly exaggerated way. Basically if you enjoy movie car chases from the late 20th century, it's completely worth a shot.

It also helps that you're playing as a comatose cop who can take over every car on the streets of coma-induced faux San Francisco, resulting in hilarious conversations with various passengers because they cannot tell that the driver is someone else all of a sudden.