Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

Anything out there that has a good mystery behind it, similar to Persona 4? I'm fine with any genre - I don't game on PC, but I have 360, Vita, 3DS, PS3, PS2, and a host of other older consoles.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective is a DS mystery puzzle game that's pretty goofy and cute like P4 was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

A bit of a specific request:

I'm looking for a game for the PC with stealth mechanics like Mark of the Ninja. It doesn't necessarily have to be a platformer, any genre will do. I've got my eye on Deus Ex HR Director's Cut, and I even enjoyed the stealth in Skyrim to a point. Generally I'm looking for one where combat will never be necessary as long as you don't get caught--no forced boss battles or stuff like dragons from Skyrim. On the other hand if I'm caught I don't want it to be an instant game over; even in MotN you could use your tools and hide/kill enemies if you really felt like it, and I generally don't want to have to save/load every time I make a misstep.

Horror's not really my thing though, so I'd appreciate it if recommendations could avoid that.

Sounds like Dishonored to me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BITCOIN MINING RIG posted:

Divinity 2: DKS has satisfying power progression. The voice acting is a bit off but the game is fun otherwise.

I tried Divinity 2 once, and quit after killing everything in the starting valley and attached dungeons didn't give me enough levels to survive any fights around Lovis's tower. Is there some side area I missed?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fable 3 is on PC.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

The big moral point the story tries to make is negated by grinding for money.

This part's great, though! The game keeps trying to force you into ham-fisted bullshit like "You can only save one, Your Majesty: the tank factory, or the puppy orphanage" and you get to go "HAHA gently caress YOU I WIN ANYWAY BECAUSE I LITERALLY OWN THE WORLD"

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yeah, the treasury mechanic is probably not an intentional send-up of stupid moral-choice systems in video games, but I still got a kick out of it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

If I really, really liked the "plot your murder path from afar, drop the sentries, sneak in and knife everyone else to death without any individual mook ever knowing anything was wrong until they felt cold steel between their ribs" part of taking outposts in FarCry 3, what should I try next? Sniper Elite V2 is on sale now but I actually stopped sniping in FC3 because it was less fun/challenging than knifing all the fools.

Have you also played FC3: Blood Dragon?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JackMackerel posted:

Looking for a PC FPS that sends hordes of enemies at me, guns with crazed secondary fires, and has a focus on not even trying to be realistic. I've played Painkiller: Black Edition, all the Serious Sam games, the Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior remakes, all Quake games, Hard Reset, and Bulletstorm.

Borderlands 2, maybe? It doesn't have huge enemy hordes, but it does have a whole bunch of insane weapons and abilities.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do you like point & click adventures?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sean10mm posted:

What PC game should I get if I want to play an action RPG that's a) actually good and b) has really good graphics?

Doom

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

credburn posted:

What's the best tower defense game that is single player and contains some kind of...RPG stuff? I don't know. I like the feeling of arbitrary stat progression.

Note: I haven't really played a tower defense game since like, games my friends and I would set up in Warcraft 2 and play over the bing bing bong krrssh modem LET IT RING DON'T PICK IT UP MOM

Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten, probably. Your towers are literally RPG party members.

I've never played GemCraft but lots of goons seem to have enjoyed it. Plants vs. Zombies, Immortal Defense, and the Creeper World/Particle Fleet series are great too, but they don't have much in the way of RPG elements.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 30, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Did you not like those two games? I think most peaceful games, like Abzu, will wind up pretty similar to one or the other.

e: The Witness is on PS4, now that I look. It's a first-person puzzle game like Myst, and it's excellent.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Abzu is supposed to be a lot like Journey, but underwater, so give it a look.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Geektox posted:

Are there any good asynchronous co-op games, I'm thinking stuff like parts of Perfect Dark Zero's co-op where you play as two completely people doing completely different stuff instead of just two identical people trying to accomplish identical objectives. Satellite Reign was pretty good for this but I'm wondering if there are any others.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, kind of
EDF 4.1 has classes that play fairly differently from each other, but you're still all shooting at giant bugs and giant robots and such

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 8, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

basalt posted:

Also welcome are suggestions for games with unusual aesthetic direction in general, like the lush collages in Samorost, or the detailed dioramas of Kentucky Route Zero and EMPORIUM.

Limbo
INSIDE
Night in the Woods

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Invisible, Inc. and Papers, Please have pretty unique visual styles too.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tagra posted:

Are there any first person Diablo clones out there, which is to say slaughtering hordes of enemies in the hopes of forcing randomized loot to drop so that you can hit the RNG jackpot?

Borderlands fits pretty well, and then maybe Vermintide (which seemed like more of a LFD clone with random loot elements than a diablo clone). Is there anything else worth looking into?

Shadow Warrior 2

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xander77 posted:

I'm looking for simple, good-looking, not too talky Tower Defense games for my mom.

Anything in particular you'd recommend on Kongregate? She apparently doesn't have a lot of tolerance for jank.

I will probably continue to recommend Creeper World to anyone looking for TD games until everyone is sick and tired of hearing it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bewilderment posted:

Basically, stuff that has a good story combined with somewhat entertaining gameplay. Not necessarily limited to walking-sims or 'immersive sims' or telltale games but that's what's kinda worked so far.

Night in the Woods, maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Guavatin posted:

I'm looking to fill the void of open world games in my life. Would Ghost Recon Wildlands be worth playing single player?

Also are there any other games like saints row 2 where the city feels really unique, filled with a whole load of stuff to do?

I'm sick and tired of how the other saints rows/gta's are like where they make a good looking city (steelport does not count at all) but with no point of exploring them, feeling like a husk of a place.

Have you played Dying Light?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Sjonkel posted:

I've recently played Hollow Knight, as my first metroidvania ever. I really, really liked it, and I'm looking for similar games. It can be older stuff, but I'm a PC gamer so hopefully something I can buy on Steam. Also, while I'm not a graphics junkie at all, I don't really like pixelated graphics, and prefer some production value in general.

Any tips?

If you want high production values in a Steam castletroidia, you can't do much better than Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Would Life is Strange, The Talos Principle, or The Walking Dead Season 1 work? I know they're all quite a bit different gameplay-wise from everything on that list.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Getsuya posted:

What's The Talos Principle like?

Edit: wait isn't Talos Principle PS4 only? I don't think it's PS3.

There's a PS4 special edition, but the original game is available on PS3. It's a first-person puzzler. Humans have gone extinct and you're an AI wandering around the virtual reality of humanity's last time capsule, which takes the form of ancient ruins. There are lots of emails left behind by people coming to terms with the end, and message logs from the time capsule's chief designer who's struggling to complete it before her time runs out.

Another suggestion I just thought of--Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Q8ee posted:

I played Bloodbowl 2, it's great in some ways, but garbage in others. I hate the RNG, I'm not too fond of the slow turn-based style. Are there games that are a tad more realistic? Frozen Cortex is a game that pops to mind, I loved this to bits. It was great fun and is exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm still really upset there's no recent Madden game on the PC.

Rocket League, maybe?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

coolusername posted:

Looking for games with interesting stories that aren't a difficult roguelike or real-time combat, and that don't require 600000 hours to complete. Examples of what I like: Pyre, Undertale, Thomas Was Alone, Stanley Parable, Pony Island...

Any ideas?

If meta is your bag, you might also like Omegaland or OneShot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

This is going to be a weird one, but bear with me. I was watching a friend stream Wuppo, and there's a point in the game at which you have to catch a train from the first hub world to the second. There's a fair bit of action puzzle platforming involved in getting the ticket, but when it comes to actually getting on the train... it has a schedule, in real time. You can either wait on the platform for the next train to show up or go next door to the carnival and kill time there. If you do so, not only do you have to actually buy tickets and wait in line for the attractions - with the occasional line-cutter - but you can wind up missing your train. Which isn't a game over, because your ticket is valid indefinitely, but does mean your wait will start anew. Once the train shows up, you have to wait for the passengers to disembark and the cleaning crew to do their job before you can board; once you have boarded, you have to, again, wait in real time for the train to take you to your destination. There's a minigame you can play to pass the time, or you can just watch the scenery go by.

I realize this probably doesn't sound like Compelling Gameplay to a lot of you, but there was something about just how chill it was that evoked memories of using WoW flight paths or, to use a real-life example, riding in a vehicle, be it a plane, train, or automobile. These days, whenever I go somewhere, I'm the one who's driving, and while I do enjoy driving, it's not something I can veg out while doing.

So I guess what I'm looking for is a game or interactive toy or some such that simulates the experience of being a passenger. It doesn't have to be the only activity in the game; it doesn't even have to be the major activity. But it should be something where I can take my hands off the controller for a bit; riding the horse in Breath of the Wild, for instance, can be something like that, but there's always a monster attack or a fork in the road to worry about.

X3: Albion Prelude
Prey :v:

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 16, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EdsTeioh posted:

I'm looking for something I can have on in the background at work. Ideally I'd like something web based, or graphics lite, and something along the lines of either a turn based rpg like DragonQuest or something, or else some kind of civ building or trading thing. Anything cool like that?

Deadly Rooms Of Death

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Looking for a ~8 hour or shorter game with a nice ending to beat this weekend. I've played Limbo and Inside (and Undertale while we're at it) and not looking for roguelikes nor Point and Click/Telltale games (unless exceptional). Open to pretty much every genre.

if "nice" doesn't necessarily have to mean "happy," check out Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Revengeance is pretty short, isn't it?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lemon posted:

A couple of my favourite games in recent years were Undertale and Night in the Woods. I think they shared a few similar aspects that I liked, particularly:

Funny dialogue
Small cast of well-defined characters
Excellent soundtrack (possibly the most important part)
Underlying melancholy

I'm on PC and I'm open to any suggestions that might fit the bill. I've heard that Life is Strange is popular with the Undertale/NITW crowd but I watched a bit of the newest one and it really didn't appeal, mainly because I thought the dialogue and particularly the voice acting was pretty bad. In fact, not having voice acting might be another thing from those two games that worked for me.

Tales from the Borderlands

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

are you cereal

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jesus didn't you just get that game last night?

I guess that was a good rec then

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's not a business or city sim but check out Stardew Valley if you haven't already.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rez, probably

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Meldonox posted:

Goddamn am I bored. I looked over my Steam list and collection of other bullshit and nothing is really grabbing me.

I want a fuckaround game. Something I can get into that's open-ended and silly and chaotic and broken and lets me get up to no good. A couple weeks back I was having a really good time being a piece of poo poo in My Summer Car but wound up running out of things to do. Any ideas?

Shadow of Mordor

don't upgrade your health, and power through the main story until you unlock branding

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

credburn posted:

Hey dudes, I recently found out I'm autistic and with that diagnosis it's made me realize the things that appeal to me fall into certain themes and I'm looking for more of them, but it's difficult for me to properly articulate it, so I will provide examples.

Recently, my favorite game is Realm Grinder. I just played 80 hours of Dragon Quest VII, I'm currently playing Bravely Default. I like games that have constant progression, like Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy. I prefer turn-based games. I need a story to go with it. I like pretty much any platform, or setting. I like things to be unlocked. I especially enjoy games that have like...specialty classes where you can only unlock them after you've unlocked two previous types or something like that. I like games that allow for wildly different builds. I've played all the Elder Scrolls games...they kinda did what I'm talking about. I've played all of the Fallouts, the Final Fantasies, XCom. I've played a ton of games.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

What are some good fantasy games that are like, a typical rpg world where you play a role other than the adventuring heroes? Like reccetear where you're playing an item shop manager and sell equipment to heroes, or crystal chronicles: my life as a king or majesty where you play as the king that sends heroes out on quests.

Overlord, maybe? You're still going out adventuring, just in an edgy evil way.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 12, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Command and Conquer: Red Alert, sort of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fumbles posted:

I'm looking for a game to occupy my time at work as a night-shift security guard. Something that I can easily pause or put down if anything serious is happening, either turn-based or with a good pause system so you won't lose a lot of the game if you happen to miss a single dialogue prompt or lose a bunch of progress because you suddenly need to put the controller down. I'm a big fan of strategy games (especially 4x and xcom styles), rpgs, and rogue-lites and repetitive but advancing abilities or goals really helps me pass the time. It also needs to be able to run on a laptop, so preferably something indie or that doesn't look terrible when you turn the graphics way down.

Any suggestions?

DROD
SteamWorld Heist