Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

The Dire and Ever Circling Wolves

Fledgling Gulps posted:

I've got a hankering for some space flight-sim action. The last ones I played were Freespace and Tachyon: the Fringe. But now that I finally have a machine that can handle just about anything I throw at it I can't seem to find anything in the genre.

See I'll jump onto this one too, but more of an exploration/trading vibe to them. I have X3 Reunion but I've just given up on trying to work out what's what in that game. Something like Elite but a bit more contemporary like, I suck at space combat too so something where I can just fly around looking at stuff would be just the ticket. Or easy. Whichever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

al-azad posted:

Try DarkStar One. I think they have it up on GoG. The designers pretty much admitted they were copying Freespace's model of combat/exploration/trading and the game definitely mimics the style well. There's even Descent-esque dungeon levels in the form of hollowed out asteroids. You can't buy new ships but instead your starting ship is modular allowing you to customize most aspects of it so it functions like a different vehicle. The pervasive bugs in the vanilla launch that garnered the mostly average reviews the game got have been patched out and I've been playing it off and on for about two years now.

I've been after an excuse to buy this for a while now, and I think it's on sale at Gog too, cheers!

Morpheus posted:

I would recommend Freelancer if there was a way to bypass the story and just open the world up to you. Maybe there is? There's combat, but it's pretty darn easy.

The ship combat in Freelance kicks my arse after just a few missions... maybe I'll try it again and actually use the flares or whatever they were, and the wee things that rebuild your ship when it's damaged.

frowning
Aug 10, 2005

Geektox posted:

Kinda of an oddball question, but I've been playing Bioshock because I love the concept, but just cannot for the life of me get into the gameplay. Is there a good Let's Play anyone can recommend for Bioshock 1+2? Preferably one with either minimal commentary or hilarious commentary.

Bit of an oddball response but are you playing on easy? I completed 1 and 2 on this setting as I too loved the setting but am proper poo poo at games. It meant I could play around with the powers a lot more and not worry about resource management. This might sail way past the mark but they are great games and I'd hate for you to miss out.