Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm looking for a PC RPG (action or otherwise) I can break, like Morrowind: sneaking around and finding overpowered weapons early, crafting a random spell/equipment combination that makes you unstoppable for a good chunk of the game, killing guards to take their awesome armor. All that fuckery that's been patched or balanced out in newer games. I'm a munchkin and I admit it.

Games I loved:
Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga
Neverwinter Nights + Expansions
NWN2: MotB (played original and Zehir, they were okay)
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Baldur's Gate 2 (although I don't have the time for a game that long anymore)
Borderlands

Games that were 'meh':
Gothic 4 - Combat isn't bad, but it's incredibly linear. Secrets consist of 'collect 30 hidden objects to get a powerful weapon'. Boring.
Witcher: EE - I can't really say what I didn't like about this game, except that nothing about it was particularly interesting.

Games I've hated:
Fallout 3/NV -> Combat sucks, and the game requires too much leveling to be fun.
Oblivion -> I could never get into it. It's ugly, combat sucks, and even with fan patches the thrill of finding a random dungeon and getting overpowered loot is gone. I'd be willing to try it again if there's a patch that would adjust it so that those random dungeons lying around would have great (unique) gear at the end. I last tried this game back in '08 and none of the patches then would fix the hosed loot tables.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Really I've played most mainstream horror games. :\ I'm looking for something different and twisted.

If you have a Wii or a GameCube you should give Eternal Darkness a shot, that game managed to creep me out in ways that RE and Silent Hill never could. New copies are ridiculously priced, but you can pickup new ones around 20 bucks.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Prosaic posted:

I mean, it doesn't have to be strictly D&D, as long as it's not oversimplified stats.

e: Things like the highly detailed character customization in NWN are what I found really enjoyable.

Have you given either of the Drakensang games a shot? It's based on a German pen & paper RPG.

I tried to pick it up but dropped it because I didn't want to learn another system aside from D&D, but if character customization is what you're looking for, it's a good candidate.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I've almost 100% Saints Row 3, and now I'm looking for some other PC action games that are fun and maybe a little goofy. They don't have to be wacky, but they need to have a good (adult) sense of humor. I'm not talking lego batman, but maybe the action equivalent of a monkey island game.

Other conditions:
- Not an FPS
- Gameplay must also be fun (no psychonauts here)

Here's my steam profile (you need to be logged in to see my info):
http://steamcommunity.com/id/morwan/

VV I played the poo poo out of it a couple years ago. Maybe I'll try it with some mods.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 7, 2012

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Radicool posted:

Are there any good rpgs on the Sega Genesis/Megadrive? I've pretty much played every single one on the Snes, and I'm still craving more 16-bit goodness.

Strategy RPGs: Shining Force I & II, Warsong

Action RPGs: Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, Crusader of Centy/Soleil

JRPGs: Phantasy Star III & IV, Shining in the Darkness

I've bolded the ones that were the best IMHO. If you play one, play Phantasy Star IV. If you have the time, play both Shining Force games, but II is probably the 'better' one.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm looking for a semi-arcadey racing game for the PC, along the lines of Project Gotham Racing, Metropolis Street Racer, or the older Sega Rally Championship games. Basically, simple physics with real cars.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Bussamove posted:

For an actual request of my own, I loving love stealth games, like entirely too much. I've played Deus Ex and Human Revolution, all of the Thief games, the Splinter Cells, what have you. I'm always on the look out for games I can be a sneaky bastard in. I've tried the Hitman series, but can never seem to get into it. Anyone have any recommendations?

If you've got a PS2 (or PS3 with emulation) , the Tenchu games are pretty bomb. Wrath of Heaven is the best, unfortunately the current generation games have been universally mediocre.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Chas McGill posted:

Another hankering I've had recently after playing Oni again was for a game with a decent hand to hand combat system aside from Batman. By hand to hand, I mean fists and feet. There don't seem to be too many examples of that kind of thing these days.

What about brawlers, like God Hand or Asura's Wrath?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Putka posted:

I'm looking for a game along the lines of good ol' RPGs.
I've played Torment, Arcanum, BG1&2, fallout 1&2, IWD and neverwinter nights. So something along those lines, with real character progression and preferably a story too.

If you haven't played it yet, the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion Mask of the Betrayer is fantastic. It's got the best storyline this side of Torment, and if you're a Forgotten Realms nerd it touches on some major religious aspects of the universe.

Barring that, I'll second the suggestion for Spiderweb games. I'm playing Avadon right now and it's pretty darned good.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I aggravated my shoulder this week and I'm looking for a good PC action game to play with my controller. Action RPG is ok, as long as there's a minimum of talking/doing inane fetch quests or lame puzzles (I'm looking at you Darksiders).

Games I've played/liked
- Kingdoms of Amalur
- Devil May Cry 4
- Ys: The Oath in Felghana
- Divinity II: DKS
- Dungeon Siege III

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

dis astranagant posted:

I need something to scratch my customization and tinkering itch since I can't play Armored Core 5 right now. Action/shooting prefered, but an SRPG with lots of stuff to fiddle with might work too.

Gratioutis Space Battles.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

There's The Banner Saga and... playstation and gamecube emulators.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm looking for a PC, Android, or iOS turned-based strategy/rpg with an easily accessible (and free) cheat system/console. I recently had a concussion and I need something to occupy the time when I'm not tired enough to sleep. Too engaging, and I start to get mentally exhausted. I've been playing King's Bounty with cheats on, and been the right mix.

I'm pretty much sick of it at this point, though, and I need some more variety. Are there any other recently released turn based strategy/rpgs with built-in cheats that I can play? I tried playing FFT, but managing jobs, skills, and spells became too complex after the first chapter.

Seemenaked posted:

Oh, on a side note have they made any kinda game similar to the old Ogre Battle games? I loved that series, I even bought an n64 just for Ogre Battle 64.

Try King's Bounty. Not the same at all, but it scratches the same itch.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 12, 2012

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

40-Degree Day posted:

I'm looking for a good co-op game for me and my wife to play together. The only two catches are that it has to be on PC, and it needs to be able to run on a laptop with an i3 and integrated graphics.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Just to verify, my wife plays a lot of video games.

Terraria is your best bet. Torchlight II also runs decently on low-spec machines and has a demo available on Steam.

Also:
http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 17, 2012

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm looking for a chill PC game that I can play with a controller. Something not too challenging, hopefully turned based, and ideally compatible with Steam big picture mode.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Ehud posted:

I'm looking for games to play with my wife. We have a PS3 and two controllers. We're playing Portal 2 right now and she seems to like it. I'm looking for more co-op games we can buy from the Playstation Store. It can be anything from puzzle games like Portal, to beat em ups, to something entirely different. Just looking for some fun games we can play together.

Also, is Borderlands 2 fun in split screen mode? We watched the trailer and she really liked it.

Go loving nuts.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Rorac posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a PC RPG that lets you customize your party. He's already played the hell out of Wizardry 8, Might and Magic, Exile/Avernum, so those are out. I can't think of any myself, thus I turn to the goon hivemind.

Legend of Grimrock.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Evilreaver posted:

The more :smith: the better. Any genre.

You're looking for Spec Ops: The Line.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

gmq posted:

What PC games can I play from my couch with a 360 controller that won't make miss my keyboard? My PC is somewhat old (Tomb Raider 2013 runs but it's too stuttery to be playable).

Here's a list of games with full controller support.

Some selections I think are good:

Mark of The Ninja - Fantastic stealth game to play in 20-30 minute bursts.
Trine 2 - I only played the first, but the second is supposed to do everything it does better. Fanatastic 2D puzzle game to play alone or with friends.
Sonic Generations - The best Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles. Why haven't you already played this?
Space Marine - Not the best game, but provides a few hours of solid entertainment and you can usually pick it up for $5 on sale or for $2 off a goon.
Binary Domain - Haven't played it yet, but every goon jizzes over it, so I guess it's good?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I just finished Binary Domain, and now I'm looking for another PC game that's just fun to play. No heavy narrative or grimdark storyline. Something like Bulletstorm, Saint's Row, or Ys. No grimdark storyline, just explody times with fun characters. I have played Borderlands II, which was... ok.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

William Bear posted:

Name some more games where you are a single guy and the game involves leading, ordering, and upgrading an army.

Games I have played:

Brutal Legend (Didn't like it.)
Overlord Series (Enjoyed)
Mount and Blade (Enjoyed)
Viking Battle for Asgard (Enjoyed)

If you haven't yet, play Heart of the Swarm. Most of the missions are you organizing your army around Kerrigan (or some other insanely overpowered hero unit).

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Drakenel posted:

I once played a game called Shining Force 3. It was a turn based rpg/strategy about some medieval fantasy land with a bunch of anime factions at war, and a kingdom of cat people. No really. Anyway, while the story was retarded and anime and the gameplay itself was mediocre at best, the premise was interesting to me. Basically the main story, which was stupid, was on it's own. The nations in this fantasy world attacked each other and conquered one another if left alone. You'd gain exp/gold/loot for doing odd jobs but also joining in on the attackers or defender's sides and influencing who won the battle. You'd get new characters as recruits for defeated kingdoms, but ideally you could make any nation win by repeatedly taking their side. Thus, mercenaries.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Tactics Ogre? Shining Force 3 was very linear and the interplay between the nations was completely scripted.

If not, you should play Tactics Ogre. Also a little anime, but definitely more freedom with regard to taking sides and getting troops.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I've heard good things about Out Of The Park Baseball, haven't played it though.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What are some good freeware netbook games? I have a Samsung N110 (early gen atom, poo poo intel graphics) and I need some distractions for some long plane trips. I downloaded Elona+ but it sucks poo poo without a numpad.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

MrBims posted:

I'm on a laptop for a while, with a mobile videocard and a terrible processor. I'm going braindead playing roguelikes - I need something that gives an experience, a game that can hook me in for multiple reasons and stick with me even after I'm done. A game like Metal Gear Solid 1 or Star Control 2 or the Infinity Engine games or System Shock or Snatcher, but not them. I've played probably everything that was mainstream and I've gone over the SNES and PS1 libraries, so I guess I'm looking for recommendations of older PC games, DOS games, the kind you would find on Abandonia. I've gone looking through it myself multiple times before, but I always end up just downloading a ton of things that sit in a folder and never get tried. I need someone to persuade me into sticking with a few. The only genre limitations I can think of are that I don't want a point&click adventure game, I already have too many of those sitting on a harddrive in my gaming computer.

Along with Genesis games, have you considered GBA games? There are plenty of excellent RPGs: Tactics Ogre, Golden Suns, Fire Emblems, and Riveria to name a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm looking for a decent SRPG/RPG to play that'll run on my 2016 Macbook w/ Iris 550 graphics. I just finished replaying Fell Seal and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd also like the game to be aesthetically pleasing, so pixelart messes like Voidspire Tactics are out-- and no roguelikes.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 21, 2020