Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yosposters I'm off to the shelter to get a kitty. Which one? http://dogshome.com/pets/cats/north-melbourne/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats the plan. I mean kittens are cute and all but I dont want a tiny mess machine.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was also looking at this lovely looking cat but he's so old. :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

On one hand, old = sleeping the day away. But that means so little time left. :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Im a cat newbie tho! I've had dogs and dogs, but apartment and work just got in the way these past few years. I dont know if I'm up to taking care of a geriatric cat. Ill let the cat and shelter staff decide.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gerards' gone. :smith: To a good home! Not mine tho.

I got Timmy. He was lovely and he rolled onto his back for belly rubs the moment he saw me. :3:

http://dogshome.com/cat-adoption/adoptable-cat/?petID=958628

Getting paperwork done and stuff before I get him home.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Timtim teaser. Paperwork done, now to get him home. :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Whats in the box?!

Oh hi

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's been the Lost Dogs home forever. It's also been the Lost Dogs (and also quite a few cats) Home forever too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It was kinda crazy there at the home today according to the staff. There were 4 other cats and a dog being adopted at the same time I was getting Timmy so they just did a group orientation thing. Apparently they were flat out and had 35 adoptions today. :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Maybe he wants to be called Roomba. He just zipped behind the bowl where I almost never dust and came out covered in dust bunnies. Aaggh

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sure is a sweetie puss. :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

going by the clock, it looks like I spent the last hour petting puss puss face.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

duckfarts posted:

yeah buddy, you found a good buddy

dude has some pretty decent floof, and from the looks of it, he's acclimated instantly to your place?

Well, dunno about that yet. Every time I go in to check, he zips behind the toilet and I've to coax him out. Once he does though, he'll settle down for lots of pets and scratches.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Portals posted:

how is he in the sassypants dept

No sass so far, just friendly with pets and purrs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh my god

edit: Timmy update: judging from the amount of kitty litter scattered around, either he's taken a dump, or is just playing with the litter. I'll happily assume the former tho. :toot:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 25, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yup, provisional name Timmy definitely made a stinky poop overnight, scarfed down all his food. He didnt mind being brushed after a few attempts at trying to kill the brush, and oh gosh cats drinking water :3:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

CamH posted:

yo i got xander some catte shelves today and here's a vid of him playing on them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW1Mbhgt8to

Xander nearly lost a fight with a dangle toy. :ohdear:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Walked in on him mid-groom which is why his fur is all mussed up. He promptly gave up, flopped over and demanded pets.

He's quarantined in the bathroom. Super interested whenever I have to go take a leak. Cat stop staring!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 26, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Puddington's decided that the toilet is his fortress of solitude and that's that, despite a few other boxes being made available. Cat wont stop watching me pee. At least he hasnt decided to swat my dick (yet).

Also, still needs a first name and/or title. Pope Puddington? Prof, Padishah, Pinkest, etc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw who's a nice Pudding?

OH GOD PUDDING WHY?!

And back to the petting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

duckfarts posted:

know your place, sucka

also make sure you do handle him a bunch so he gets used to it for nail clippings and brushings and whatever

Definitely. He tolerates brushings so long as I keep petting him. He's convinced the comb is a chew toy though. He'll let me handle his paws a little while but no idea if he'll freak when actually clipping yet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Puddington introduced me to what hairballs look like in real life :itwaspoo: and what a vomitting cat sounds like.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Puddington stoppit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Built in feather boa. Nice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Excuse the graininess, it was kind of dark.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sure is.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Stopped petting him for a moment to make that post. Had to make it with my left hand because his paws shot out and stopped my petting hand from going anywhere.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

First day back at work, hope Puddington doesnt mind too much and destroy everything I own in revenge.

Also, last night I left the sliding bathroom door closed but unlocked and I was surprised to see a fuzzy cat wandering around the apartment a little later. He'd figured out how to open the door and was exploring on his own. :catstare:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pudding, how do i even begin to describe your pants situation.

Also hand/ arm status: covered in scratches.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 27, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Radio! posted:

how old is Puddington?

Shelter says the best guess is about a year.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Radio! posted:

oh man, firmly in "bitey shithead" territory then

So, 'OUCH' and/or walk away if he bites/scratches too hard is the proper thing to do, right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That cat may be one eyed, but I always think he's winking.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PipeRifle posted:

This is why people recommend feather toys or mice or other "prey" on the end of a string toy. Cats shouldn't be taught that unattended, string-like objects are toys. That's how they get electrocuted and/or swallow a bunch of string that ties up their guts and it's big trouble either way

I worry about CamH's cat with that crazy string octopus toy

Uh, I've got a fluffy string, is that okay or still too string like?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh hey tail, with attached cat.

Here comes trouble.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 28, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

hahaha, you are a brave, brave person to leave open aquariums around a cat

edit: err are they open? definitely make sure they can support the weight of the cat because i guarantee there will be a cat walking on top of them soon lol

They're not open, but yeah... I dont know if it'll support the weight of an adult cat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sounds like a good reason to get one of these. Motion detector hooked to a compressed air can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG0ciR_k8ck

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, they've got another product out. A mat powered by a 9v battery to give you a static zap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiBsNAijsZQ

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ordered the ScatMat. Hope it works.

Wait, poo poo, I'll be using it around water.

Oh well, hope it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PipeRifle posted:

Yeah maybe do what other people said and reinforce the aquarium top and put other, milder deterrent like an air can (the sscat cans can be replaced with generic canned air from Fry's and probably other places; you don't need to buy their pricey refills), tinfoil (some cats don't like the feeling of it on their paws), sticky tape sticky-side up (same), I even got some carpet runner for like $1.50 a foot at home depot that's plastic and is supposed to bite into your carpet for "high traffic" areas and it has little plastic nubbins on the bottom? Some of that, nubbin-side-up, kept my old cat from getting behind the TV because it was mildly unpleasant to step on so he decided to step somewhere else.

Cats is nature, man, and if Ian Malcolm taught us anything it's that nature finds a way to piss you off

The idea is to redirect, reinforce, etc. Cat-proof the places that might be problem areas, and make other areas more enticing so you can have fun playing with the cat and building him a fun home rather than frustrating yourself trying to define what is "out of bounds"

Thanks, I'm Jackson Galaxy irl

Will do. I'm going to try it on myself first, see just how unpleasant it is. If its nasty, it wont get used, and try out other deterrents too.

Tried letting the cat roam last night, but it was hours of *bonk*, scratching, meowing, and a panic fit when he fell in a partially opened suitcase from the top and couldnt get out. Eventually it was the bathroom again for the night. Cat's a good dangly thing detector, I never realized how many objects I had just hanging off the edge of tables.

Also he'll try murder my toes if I wriggle them while stretching under the blanket. Dammit Pudding!

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 28, 2014