Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yabanjin
Feb 13, 2007

I AM smiling.
Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidra Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
AKA: (Gojira, Mosura, Kingu Gidorâ: Daikaijû sôkôgeki) - 2001

Directed by: Shusuke Kaneko (Gamera series)

The humans: Ryudo Uzaki , Masahiro Kobayashi
The cheesecake: Chiharu Nîyama (also in Ju-on 2)
The kaiju (Top to bottom): King Ghidra, Godzilla, Mothra, Baragon.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0279112/
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hrm5eeGXBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hrm5eeGXBg

Story

The writing here is rather good. Just forget about the entire "Godzilla is a manifestation of the souls of WWII" right-wing crap, and intead focus of the unappologetic dark humor that permeates this movie. For example, there is a scene where a business man is going to commit suicide after apparently losing his job, but things just don't go as planned. Or a evacuation procedure at a grade school that is interrupted by a real emergency, as the teacher looks out the window to see...well, you will just have to see for yourself! There are more and more of these, and I've left the best ones undescribed to not spoil them. This is designed more like a disaster movie than most Godzilla stories, and as such, you get a lot of good vignettes of people who have forgotten just how dangerous Godzilla can be.

ALDI's produce was not always as fresh as promised.

This is the kind of Godzilla movies that tends to polarize most fans, because Godzilla is back, and he is clearly the villain. In some ways, you can see some direct parallels to the original Godzilla movie, and you can't really root for Godzilla in this one. You can sure enjoy him kicking some rear end, though.

Level of Destruction

Godzilla trashes not 1, but 3 famous locations in Japan (Yaizu, Hakone/Shimizu, and Yokohama). We get famous structures destroyed, and lots of it. It's not the most destruction, but the recognizable locations, and interesting choices make it memorable.

The Fight Scenes

This is probably the fiercest looking Godzilla yet. We have some new ideas here on how kaiju can team up, and some good battles. The aformentioned humor is another factor. There is a somewhat creative way to bring the movie to a conclusion. Best of all, no singing from the Mothra twins! (They make a cameo, or sorts, though.)

There were justifiable safety concerns about the new "Jurassic Park" ride.

Cheese Factor

This movie is much more serious in tone than many of the movies in the past, but not quite as cheesy as the SDF is previous and future titles (NO psychics, at all!!) There is a goofy explanation of Godzilla's origin, and some old mysterious man running around freeing kaiju, so there is still a cheese factor here. It is Godzilla, after all.

New attempts continued daily to create a garment that could support Nikki Cox.

Final Score

This is a good Godzilla movie. There will be haters, but the overall special effects are rather good, and it meets all the criteria for a good Godzilla movie for me. I really liked the dark sense of humor, which was unexpected, but a pleasant surprise. I recommend this for kaiju fans.

(This review is based on the original Japanese version, so the US version may be quite different)

Edit: I forgot to mention the jab at the American Godzilla at the beginning of the movie :)

Yabanjin fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU