Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thibaw
Jul 21, 2009
I recently visited the United states and found out, that many misconceptions about germany exist there.

So, if you want to ask me something about germany, germans, german girls, working in germany, living in germany, studying in germany, german police, german laws, german politics, german weapons, german military, german food, rammstein, german geography or something else remotely related to germany, feel free to do so.

Why I am proficient to answer:
- I am a german
- I live in germany
- I am a student
- I owned a weapon
- My brother is a cop
- I was in the german army
- I can speak english to some degree =)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nummularia
Sep 13, 2005

^_^
The north and the south are so different. Why are they not two different countries? Give me a history lesson if necessary

It Freshens!
Feb 12, 2005

Would you ever become so bored that you would die? Have you ever seen the Dieter sketches on SNL, and if so, how accurate are they?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Is it true that if you as much as mention the Nazis the government will come and light your house on fire?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I would love to travel Germany sometime - for a month at least. How much should I bring? How much does a hotel/hostel cost?

I'm a big World War II aficionado, but are there a lot of places to goto? I've heard a lot of the history has been buried.

Thibaw
Jul 21, 2009

nummularia posted:

The north and the south are so different. Why are they not two different countries? Give me a history lesson if necessary

The territory of german speaking people was split up into many small souvereign countries before 1864. Prussia in the North and Austria in the South were the strongest among them. The balance of power between Prussia and Austria was also called the german dualism. Between 1864 and 1871 several wars were fought, a prussian/danish war, a prussian/austrian war and the german/french war of 1870/71. The growing nationalism enabled prussia to unify all the smaller german states under his supremacy during that time/these wars. Also the industrialization required better transport of steel and coal and this was not possible if every small duke or lord collected taxes or refused to have railways through his territory.

Well, after 1871 Germany existed. The even increasing nationalism led to WWI and WWI led to WWII. And the allies and USSR decided in 1945 to split germany into east and west and not into north and south, guided by the territories occupied by their respective troops. And today, after the reunifiction, the german constitution does not allow the provinces ("Bundesländer" in german) to leave the federal republic. So we will stay one nation covering whole germany for a while I guess...

It Freshens! posted:

Would you ever become so bored that you would die? Have you ever seen the Dieter sketches on SNL, and if so, how accurate are they?
I guess not, but I just watched dieter on youtube. His accent is clearly not german. And you also must be kind of bored if you watch this...

Boiled Water posted:

Is it true that if you as much as mention the Nazis the government will come and light your house on fire?
No.
But if you are a politician and say something positive about the nazi government, a particular nazi, hitler and so on or something bad about jews, a particular jew, israel and so on THEN
... your career as a politician is over(which is ok imo). And maybe some leftwing radicals put your mercedes on fire(which is not ok imo).

Tab8715 posted:

I would love to travel Germany sometime - for a month at least. How much should I bring? How much does a hotel/hostel cost?

I'm a big World War II aficionado, but are there a lot of places to goto? I've heard a lot of the history has been buried.

Are you from USA? The dollar is not too strong at the moment, so this travel will be kind of expensive. Cheapest method would be staying in youth hostels and traveling by train and bus inside germany. Hotel prices depend on location very much. I guess you will have to calculate over 3k ($) for 30 days including flight, bed and breakfast. If you want to see something, you will have to travel some distances inside germany. You definately want to start in berlin, but if you are interested about WWII and nazi stuff, you need to visit munich as well. Dachau concentration camp memorial is near munich. Germany is quite densely populated, so you are unlikely to find WW2 weapons or ammunition. Russia is a better place for that.
BUT, there is a V2 Rocket in the "Deutsches Museum" in Munich and also some pretty collection of WW2 aircraft. For WW2 tanks you need to visit some museum in moscow, russia =). And if you are an attractive girl, or bring one with you, you might to be able to stay at my place for free.

Thibaw fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 23, 2009

copperblue
May 21, 2003
My German-born spouse is now a US citizen, but is constantly paranoid about bringing up the fact in conversation. In Aruba, some Dutch people jokingly mentioned how he bombed the poo poo out of their country, but it wasn't anything more than a joke.

Does this happen alot? Did anyone in the states give you grief about being German?

Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
Does everyone in Holland hate the Germans? My g/f is Dutch and she has a fantatical hatred of all thing German.

Dumbfire Rocketman
Jul 30, 2009

a drunk european baby
is putting u in ur place

Is there any sort of cultural aversion to violence? This is what I hear most about modern Germany.

Are there museums with WWII paraphernalia? What about movies and video games?

Are the bakeries as good as they say?

ohComeOn
Apr 3, 2009

by angerbotSD
Why is it that McDonalds costs more to eat in than a full restaurant?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ohComeOn posted:

This is pretty much worldwide.

Yet there is still a line out the door.

Is the holocust/WW2 beat into your heads in school?

Does anyone ever still stereotype a German as some Nazi or something?

What do you think about Austria? When I was there most everyone and all my family thought poorly of the Germans. It was mostly friendly. Just that there were German tourist everywhere and that they were obnoxious, loud, etc.

How are the Austria/German relations? What were you taught about the relations during the World Wars and post World Wars, etc. I know you had the Austro Hungarian Empire which was freaking massive. My grandfather was actually in the Austrian Militery pre-WW2. Then Austria got annexed by Germany and he survived about 2 years in the war. Honestly any info about the above would be great.

How long is your military term? Is it not something like 3 years? Do girls have to do it or anything similar? Is there a opt out in Austria where you can do civil service like work in a hospital or ambulance? Aside from Austria how many other countries in Europe still require this? How was your experience doing all this?

Do you consider Bavaria a part of Germany or should they gently caress off and make their own country?

That all being said Germans are rad and Berlin is amazing.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Where do you live in Germany?

Being half German (Australian) I have some relatives in Germany. One of my second cousins claimed that wearing a baseball glove (but not playing the sport) was fashionable with German youth for a while. Is this true or was he full of poo poo?

Do you feel any guilt because of what the Nazi party therefor Germans did in WW2?

My Oma and Opa (moved to Australia in their 30s) say that Oktoberfest in Germany has changed and is now too touristy/ruined by obnoxious Americans etc. What do your parents/grandparents have to say about this? My only experiences with Oktoberfest have been in Australia and it's pretty disgusting how everyone gets very drunk and start fights. I'm hoping that when I eventually attend Oktoberfest in Munich that it will be better.

Also, I like to make Spaetzle with my roast pork and sauerkraut, covering it with gravy. My Oma says I am weird for doing this. Am I? Oh and nutmeg or no nutmeg in your spaetzle?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 23, 2009

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Tab8715 posted:

I spent about $2000 living there for two and a half months, but I had a room already paid for and got to eat at the Uni mensa for cheap. There are tons of memorials called Mahnmals in the north German cities I went to, there's not a good English translation, but they're basically memorials with a warning to future generations. Check out Hamburg, St. Nikolais Kirche is amazing. It's a gothic style cathedral that was bombed out in WWII and the rubble was left where it was. The steeple is still standing and has been since fitted with new bells. It's covered in soot and there are just chunks of it on the ground, absolutely amazing. Here's a picture from my study abroad trip last summer:

Click here for the full 358x604 image.

There's another interesting bombed out church in Hannover that stands as a Mahnmal. Really, really interesting. I'd say it's worth going for sure and a lot less history than you think has been buried. Buildings in older parts of some cities still have soot on them from the bombings.

OP: How do you feel about Bayern München and should I plan my honeymoon next summer during the group stages or the quarter-/semi-/finals of the World Cup in order to watch the DFB play and rock it out at the awesome street parties that follow such things? I was in Oldenburg for the Euro Cup and it was the most fun I've had in a long time. It was hilarious when a couple of Germans I was talking to at a bar asked me if I was Dutch, since I was wearing a DFB jersey and had a little German flag stuck in my bag.

michigan jack
Mar 12, 2008
Has there been any interest in the good American beers and brewers in Deutschland?

AlecEiffel
Jul 21, 2008
Hallo!

Welche Stadt kommen Sie aus?
Wie alt sind Sie?
Was halten Sie von den USA?
Und ist Freiburg eine gute Stadt? Ich planne da zu studieren / an Austauschprogramm teilnehmen.

Gibt es etwas aus den USA dass Sie in Deutschland haben möchten?

Was haben Sie für deine Freunde zurückgebracht?

I am asking because I'd like to send a German friend something but I have no clue.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I'd desperately like to spend 90 days or a year in Germany, I've spent a month each of the past two summers in Berlin and I absolutely love it there. The problem is, while I learn alright, I don't speak German. :( Any tips besides learning the language?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

AlecEiffel posted:

Hallo!

Wie alt sind Sie?
Und ist Freiburg eine gute Stadt? Ich planne da zu studieren / an Austauschprogramm teilnehmen.

I am asking because I'd like to send a German friend something but I have no clue.

What is this person asking?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

d3rt posted:

AlecEiffel posted:

Hallo!

Wie alt sind Sie?

What is this person asking?

Been a while since I took German but I think:

Hello,

Which city are you from?
How old are you?
What do you think of the US?
Is Freiburg a good city? I plan to study there/participate in an exchange program.

Is there something from the US that you would have liked in Germany?

All the 2nd person stuff is formal too, the distinction in English is long gone.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
What about:

?

Koaxke
Jan 18, 2009
I lived in Bavaria for quite a bit of time (in a small rear end farm village about 30 minutes away from Bad Tölz). If you don't mind me stealing the thread a bit, I'd be more than happy to answer anyone's questions dealing with Bavaria in general (i.e. Oktoberfest, lederhosen, etc.)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Koaxke posted:

I'd be more than happy to answer anyone's questions dealing with Bavaria in general (i.e. Oktoberfest, lederhosen, etc.)

Please have a stab at mine

Thibaw
Jul 21, 2009

copperblue posted:

My German-born spouse is now a US citizen, but is constantly paranoid about bringing up the fact in conversation. In Aruba, some Dutch people jokingly mentioned how he bombed the poo poo out of their country, but it wasn't anything more than a joke.

Does this happen alot? Did anyone in the states give you grief about being German?

No, the people I met in the states were friendly and industrious. I did not even try to hide the fact that I am a german and got no negative feedback at all.

Iron Squid posted:

Does everyone in Holland hate the Germans? My g/f is Dutch and she has a fantatical hatred of all thing German.

When I was in Holland, I had no Problems - when my Parents visited Holland, they were insulted by a stranger on the street, just because their nationality. So I guess there is a significant amount of people in the netherlands who dont like germans. And some germans dont like people from holland, because they know they dont like them and so forth. It can be, that they dont get a good impression from us, because all our crackheads drive to holland to buy and consume drugs. Yeah and this nazi prejudice is also very common I guess, but that is just ridiculous.

Dumbfire Rocketman posted:

Is there any sort of cultural aversion to violence? This is what I hear most about modern Germany.

Are there museums with WWII paraphernalia? What about movies and video games?

Are the bakeries as good as they say?

Wow, I just was in the cinema and watched the basterds. I was kind of shocked when the people in the audience giggled and laughed in the most brutal scenes. So - yes I have a cultural aversion to violence, and no - its not a common phenomenon in germany. But from media I get the impression that the average US citizen is far more tolerant regarding the use and expression of violence. It would not be possible at all to torture in germany. One cop mentioned torture during the interrogation of a child-abuser a few years ago. Then he got information were the child was(found dead). The cop got removed from office. And we have some kind of censorship in media and computergames: Minors are not allowed to buy violent computergames or watch violent movies.

No museums dedicated entirely to this theme, sorry. But in many small local museums they tell the local history of WW2, who died, when was the church bombed and information like that...We have LOTS(I mean really, truckloads, trainloads) of media available on the issue, but dont expect swastikas in videogames and all the stuff is in german.

Food in general is much better than in the US. Bakeries, Restaurants, Supermarkets. You get really good stuff everywhere here. I had difficulties in US finding anything to eat that met my quality standards.

ohComeOn posted:

It does not. In a restaurant I pay about 15 euros in the evening and around 9 euros around noon. MCDonalds costs me around 6 euros all day.

Christoff posted:

Is the holocust/WW2 beat into your heads in school?

yes, which is a good thing.

Christoff posted:

Does anyone ever still stereotype a German as some Nazi or something?

yes, media in other countries LOVES to portray german politicians as nazis, when they dont like their political agenda.

Christoff posted:

What do you think about Austria? When I was there most everyone and all my family thought poorly of the Germans. It was mostly friendly. Just that there were German tourist everywhere and that they were obnoxious, loud, etc.

How are the Austria/German relations? What were you taught about the relations during the World Wars and post World Wars, etc. I know you had the Austro Hungarian Empire which was freaking massive. My grandfather was actually in the Austrian Militery pre-WW2. Then Austria got annexed by Germany and he survived about 2 years in the war. Honestly any info about the above would be great.

Austria is great and our relations are excellent. No nazi blahblah in Austria at all. Well germans tend to be a little difficult when you meet then as tourists. Because many feel like :" Now its my holiday, and during my holiday I dont need to watch myself"

copperblue posted:

How long is your military term? Is it not something like 3 years? Do girls have to do it or anything similar? Is there a opt out in Austria where you can do civil service like work in a hospital or ambulance? Aside from Austria how many other countries in Europe still require this? How was your experience doing all this?

9 Months(I had to do 10, they changed it afterwards), girls are completely free. In fact most young germans are rejected from from service or doing civil service instead. This was very different 20 years ago(before the fall of the berlin wall), when almost everyone did service in the military and only a small pacifist minority did civil service. I dont know for sure, but most other european countries dont have the service anymore. My experience: Well you meet all kinds of people and the usual 20% idiot share. But when the idiot is your superior, you are not supposed to tell him that he is an idiot. That was a good lesson. I was disciplined once, because I didnt show the proper respect. But overall it was a good experience. And I look good in uniform =)

Do you consider Bavaria a part of Germany or should they gently caress off and make their own country?

That all being said Germans are rad and Berlin is amazing.
[/quote]
Thank you, and loving YES, Bavaria should make its own country and reintrocude monarchy in the process.... =) =)

d3rt posted:

Where do you live in Germany?

Being half German (Australian) I have some relatives in Germany. One of my second cousins claimed that wearing a baseball glove (but not playing the sport) was fashionable with German youth for a while. Is this true or was he full of poo poo?

Do you feel any guilt because of what the Nazi party therefor Germans did in WW2?

My Oma and Opa (moved to Australia in their 30s) say that Oktoberfest in Germany has changed and is now too touristy/ruined by obnoxious Americans etc. What do your parents/grandparents have to say about this? My only experiences with Oktoberfest have been in Australia and it's pretty disgusting how everyone gets very drunk and start fights. I'm hoping that when I eventually attend Oktoberfest in Munich that it will be better.

Also, I like to make Spaetzle with my roast pork and sauerkraut, covering it with gravy. My Oma says I am weird for doing this. Am I? Oh and nutmeg or no nutmeg in your spaetzle?
I live in Augsburg. I have never seen someone with a baseball glove on the street.

I do not feel guilty. But when it comes to politics, I see it as my duty to fight nazism, racism, intolerance and unprovoked agression.

Oktoberfest is terrible. The italian tourists are the biggest pest, but also germans dont behave very well. Japanese tourists are the best! YAY JAPANESE TOURISTS! But if you visid Germany during that time, I suggest you visit oktoberfest, too. Its a "must", kind of...

Well I like your taste regarding food. I will try nutmeg on my spaetzle next time =)

King Skinny Pimp posted:

OP: How do you feel about Bayern München and should I plan my honeymoon next summer during the group stages or the quarter-/semi-/finals of the World Cup in order to watch the DFB play and rock it out at the awesome street parties that follow such things? I was in Oldenburg for the Euro Cup and it was the most fun I've had in a long time. It was hilarious when a couple of Germans I was talking to at a bar asked me if I was Dutch, since I was wearing a DFB jersey and had a little German flag stuck in my bag.

Bayern is a great club, but I am no big fan. Coming here during the worldcup is only fun if we make it to the semifinals. The parties going on then are worth it =)

AlecEiffel posted:

Hallo!

Wie alt sind Sie?

Thank you for trying, I am from Augsburg, 27, USA is a great country ruled by dumb politicians, Freiburg is one of the best cities to study in. Cloth is cheaper in the US, and some electric devices (computers, ipods and so on). But you better ask THEM what to bring.

xie posted:

I'd desperately like to spend 90 days or a year in Germany, I've spent a month each of the past two summers in Berlin and I absolutely love it there. The problem is, while I learn alright, I don't speak German. :( Any tips besides learning the language?

Well, you visited us already, so you dont need any more tips ;-)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I know the Nazi thing is beaten to death but,

1) They say the west tends to be more liberal and conciliatory about the Holocaust and anti-semitism vs. the east which never went through such soul searching due to the cold war and the Russians not guilt tripping them (hence why neo nazis are more present in the east and like to play the victim card). Has there been a change in the attitude (I read that it was a problem where a lot of women leave the east to seek out jobs in the west and rest of europe)?

2) Other than the Dutch, are there other nationalities who have heavily stereotyped you or discriminated you?

3) Being in the military, do you find certain elements gravitate towards it? For example you mentioned the violence thing, do some people with "itchy trigger fingers" or "gun nuts" join up the military for easy firearm access? Do certain right wingers tend to join?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

How often do people confuse German and Dutch if you talk to foreign people, I get it all the time that they think I speak german.

Also being Dutch myself+ the people near me dont dislike germans at all, its mostly a running joke that flares around big soccer matches.

Shimmergloom
May 20, 2007
Chiming in from germany here, perhaps I can answer a few questions too...

Alan Smithee posted:

I know the Nazi thing is beaten to death but,

1) They say the west tends to be more liberal and conciliatory about the Holocaust and anti-semitism vs. the east which never went through such soul searching due to the cold war and the Russians not guilt tripping them (hence why neo nazis are more present in the east and like to play the victim card). Has there been a change in the attitude (I read that it was a problem where a lot of women leave the east to seek out jobs in the west and rest of europe)?

Actually, I guess it is several factors combining here: on one hand the post-WWII GDR-era which maybe led to a different way of dealing with our national heritage. I can't tell exactly, since I'm from the Ruhr area in western germany.
On the other hand, and I personally think that this will be the major factor, the lack of perspective in the eastern states weigh in much more heavily. Due to high unemployment and a bad outlook on the future many youths seek shelter, so to say, in extremist organisations.
From all I know there's not only neo-nazi tendencies but also ultra-left views which don't make their way into the news coverage as much as neo-nazi-parties raising their ugly head again.

quote:

2) Other than the Dutch, are there other nationalities who have heavily stereotyped you or discriminated you?

In my personal experience it's mainly a question of what generation you are talking to. I have a lot of dutch friends of my age who don't care about our mutual past, but the parents of one of them actually left for vacation specifically when I was visiting my friend in the Netherlands because of my being german. I was rather shocked, as you might understand, since I don't see myself responsible for the deeds of my ancestors.
I have heard about similar expriences especially with polish or english people.
So I guess it's those countries who suffered the most from german aggression that also tend to stereotype or discriminate us.

quote:

3) Being in the military, do you find certain elements gravitate towards it? For example you mentioned the violence thing, do some people with "itchy trigger fingers" or "gun nuts" join up the military for easy firearm access? Do certain right wingers tend to join?

In my time in the Bundeswehr (back in 1997) there were no "gun nuts" worth mentioning. I was serving in a signal battallion and most of us conscripts shared a feeling of "Oh boy, please just let those 9 months be over ASAP". Shooting was fun, but basically we were all happy to be civilians again.
It might be different with the volunteers striving towards a long-term service in the Bundeswehr - can't tell much about that, though.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.
First of all, all of the Germans I've ever known have been incredibly awesome and great people. I can't say I've ever met a German I disliked.

Anyway, how do you guys feel about European integration? What place do you see Germany taking in a more united Europe?

Zedd posted:

How often do people confuse German and Dutch if you talk to foreign people, I get it all the time that they think I speak german.

Also being Dutch myself+ the people near me dont dislike germans at all, its mostly a running joke that flares around big soccer matches.

I have no knowledge of either Dutch or German, but after having heard both, I'd say that they're actually pretty easy to tell apart.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
do you like mayo on your chips?
also what is that drink called that was like coke and orange fanta mixed? mezzo mix or something, do they still do that?

German food loving owns

POMMES MIT MAYO BITTE

Shimmergloom
May 20, 2007

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

do you like mayo on your chips?

Chips as in potato chips? No! Chips as in Pommes (french fries)? Hell yeah!

quote:

also what is that drink called that was like coke and orange fanta mixed? mezzo mix or something, do they still do that?

Yeah, that's still very popular - the actual slogan is "Cola küsst Orange" (Cola kisses orange).
Whoa, there's even an awful commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VvVjtadQZo&fmt=18

quote:

German food loving owns

POMMES MIT MAYO BITTE

Order a Currywurst with it for heaven's sake!

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
How's the job market there right now?

How are your newspapers doing? In the U.S. all of them are dying a slow death and I'm curious if it's the same there.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Shimmergloom posted:

Chips as in potato chips? No! Chips as in Pommes (french fries)? Hell yeah!

Yeah, that's still very popular - the actual slogan is "Cola küsst Orange" (Cola kisses orange).
Whoa, there's even an awful commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VvVjtadQZo&fmt=18

Order a Currywurst with it for heaven's sake!

hell yes currywurst
someone needs to come over the UK and open up a schnelly, they would make millions

fret logic
Mar 8, 2005
roffle
What can you tell me about Aachen? My family is from there and I've always felt much closer to the german side of my family and the small amount of traditions they still keep.

I've wanted to move there to live for a long time but somewhat recently I decided to forget about it because of how conservative Germany is. Am I wrong or is it conservative along the lines of America, or worse? I'm genuinely interested in the political climate of Germany and how progressive it is comparatively. Thanks!

also

Ich habe ein kleine Schlange (this is probably wrong)

fret logic fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 23, 2009

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008
Why is it very difficult to find a toilet in any major city? I didn't mind so much (in Berlin) cause there were plenty of parks but my gf wasn't too happy holding it in for 20 minutes to get back to our wohngemeinschaft. I can't imagine if i had bad mexican and needed to expel runny diarhea only to find out i could only do it at a sketchy park.

Also i went to a couple of rural places in bavaria and i was amazed at the density of high quality shops and their attention to detail and design that would be found in an upperclass kitsch in a trendy city. Regensberg took me by surprise the most because it seemed pretty small and the shop variety was mind boggling. How do these shops even keep business? It's not like plenty of locals would buy 2000euro sofa everyweek.

Also why is it forbidden to take photographs inside clubs in Berlin?

And why does Munich have such a piece of poo poo transport system despite it being one of the most popular tourist destinations? In Berlin every station had HUGE maps with markers pinpointing your exact location AND it also showed street names. I come to Munich Hbf and i can't even remember seeing any maps in the train terminals. But the main culprit was every other bahnhof in munich did not inform where we were on a map nor which direction or lines to change. Hell even in Berlin the bus stops had bigger and better marked maps than in Munich's hard to find maps.

And i should note i was dissapointed to find out that germans really don't fart openly in public. It's a common rumor to hear about Germans always farting without embarrassment and i even witnessed this in Croatia where a german family (in a 5 star hotel) were proudly farting as hard and frequently as possible. Maybe they do this in foreign countries?

Um and i just want to comment the really backwards way of train information in Bavaria. This actually ruined a whole of our limited time in bavaria (we missed out on koenigsee and berchtesgarden!). In brief, we did a short trip in Passau (from Munich) and decided to go to Berchtesgaden from there. We print out the train time schedule WITH information on the station stopovers. Now there was a stopover in Salzburg, which we used with our railpass the day before, and this other town. We didn't think nothing of it until we boarded the train and 2 minutes later the ticket inspector comes and says our tickets don't work.. YOU ARE IN AUSTRIA now! Yea okay buddy, just let me be on my way to my ticket destination that was stated on my German timetable. He insisted we needed an austrian ticket and we must get off the next stop immediately. We stopped in this town of maybe 5 people and waited there for 3 HOURS!. Needless to say our trip was ruined and we didn't see much of Bavaria in our 5 nights there.

If i would have to do it again what would be the best way to plan a bavaria trip? Make a base in munich and do day trips else where? I found that there's not much flexibility because we actually did manage to get to berchetesgaden after that train dillema, and after 2 and half hours of train riding, we arrive there at 8:10pm and find out the only train to leave back is in 8:15pm. So we spent 5 minutes in berchtesgaden station looking at the spectacular sceneray right infront of the station only to be reminded we now have a 3+ hour train ride back to munich. ACH what a kopfschmerzen that was >:(

Apologies for the long winded post but i really needed to express my frustration with the transportation info.

Movendi fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 23, 2009

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Could you explain how the food quality is different? I can't wrap my head around you not being able to find food that meets your quality standards in the US. Unless you mean that you just don't like the way most food in the US is made, but even this doesn't make much sense with all the variety. Or do you mean that the actual ingredients, like produce and such, were not up to your standards?

Shimmergloom
May 20, 2007

fret logic posted:

What can you tell me about Aachen? My family is from there and I've always felt much closer to the german side of my family and the small amount of traditions they still keep.

I've been there only once for playing paintball (which is very complicated in germany, due to our crazy gun-laws. Paintball is "simulating killing other people" and therefore close to being illegal here) - I found it to be very beautiful, the Aachener Dom is worth a visit, it has a renowned University and has a nice blend of rural and densely populated areas.

quote:

I've wanted to move there to live for a long time but somewhat recently I decided to forget about it because of how conservative Germany is. Am I wrong or is it conservative along the lines of America, or worse? I'm genuinely interested in the political climate of Germany and how progressive it is comparatively.

Well, the election for the Bundestag (which is our parliament, if I got the right equivalent in english. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundestag for more information) is coming up this sunday, so politics are filling newspapers and headlines here at the moment.
The political climate here is very diverse, as you can see from the Wikipedia-article too. With the current economical crisis the fear of losing your job is very high in most areas, thus a lot of people would love to see politicians having ideas for sustainable development.
Most of the people I talk to about this are rather disenchanted with most of the established parties. Both the SPD and CDU (the two "main" parties in germany) are losing votes in each election and the percentage of people actually going to the election is dropping further and further. In harsh times as these, a lot of people move towards parties that try to solve things differently, so Die Linke (left party), die Grünen (the greens) and a few of the extremist parties (like those neo-Nazi faggots) are gaining votes.

A promising and interesting new party is the Piratenpartei (yeah, you read that right) which is addressing issues like freedom of information, anti-censorship, privacy and copyrigh - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piratenpartei for more information.

quote:

also

Depends on what you want to say :D
If you indeed own a small snake, it should read "Ich habe eine kleine Schlange" ;)

@Movendi: I think the OP can tell you more about bavarian public transportation - the question about public toilets I cannot answer either since I am at a loss there too. That's a lot better in many other countries, but then a McDonalds or gas station or restaurant should be not that far off in most cities, I usually just go there.

Also taking photos in clubs in my area is allowed, so I will simply judge Berliners as dumb :D

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008

fret logic posted:

I've wanted to move there to live for a long time but somewhat recently I decided to forget about it because of how conservative Germany is. Am I wrong or is it conservative along the lines of America, or worse? I'm genuinely interested in the political climate of Germany and how progressive it is comparatively. Thanks!
Let's put it this way, since there are elections on sunday:
There are five major parties. The conservative party is led by a woman, the green party by a woman and a naturalized Turk, the post-communist party is about to score more than 10% of the vote and the liberal (libertarian by US standards) party's head is openly gay. So are the mayors of the two largest cities, Berlin and Hamburg.

The more rural you get though, the more conservative people tend to be. A gay couple kissing in a village in lower Bavaria will get looks. In rural Saxony they should look out for skinheads. Same goes for blacks.

fret logic posted:

You seem to own a small snake.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

michigan jack posted:

Has there been any interest in the good American beers and brewers in Deutschland?

I would also like to know this.

Herr R.
Apr 26, 2008

Xealot posted:

michigan jack posted:

I would also like to know this.

Not to my knowledge.

But if you're ever here try ordering a Budweiser. You'll get an excellent Czech pilsener that's actually from the city formerly known as Budweis. It seems to be called Czechvar in the US.

They won a major lawsuit against Anheuser Busch a few years ago concerning the trademark rights.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Rauch jeden Tag Gras!

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Could you please give me the basic low-down on the Bundeskriminalamt? Things like service weapons, rank names, reknowned cases they have worked and/or solved, stuff like that.

I have a thread for it, check it out please. I'd be ever so grateful if you could help me out:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3202223

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Nathilus posted:

Could you explain how the food quality is different? I can't wrap my head around you not being able to find food that meets your quality standards in the US. Unless you mean that you just don't like the way most food in the US is made, but even this doesn't make much sense with all the variety. Or do you mean that the actual ingredients, like produce and such, were not up to your standards?

If the OP doesn't mind me butting in, I'd like to add my 2 cents (oder meinen Senf) :D

I'm German and often visit my boyfriend in the US (lols LDR), and everytime I really miss the small snacks and cakes from the bakery. Also, to me it seems that there's a LOT of additives in everyday food - toast is "soft" for weeks after opening, there's EDTA in noodle salad, stabilizers in chocolate milk, artificial flavours and colouring almost everywhere. And why are deli meats always super-processed and why are pastries/cakes technicolourful instead of fresh and simple? I have no idea.

I could imagine that, since the majority of Americans focus on cost-efficiency (like, buying things in bulk very cheaply), maybe it's hard for small, quality-focused businesses to make products with reasonable costs (due to low demand, high transportation costs etc).

On the other hand, I absolutely love mexican food, and you can't find good sour cream there :|