Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Apparently the signboard when you enter an urban area in Germany is a yellow rectangle, as opposed to the white rectangle I'm used to. I was driving at 70 km/h, while I was supposed to drive 50 when I saw the automated camera flash, how much of a fine can I expect?

I live in Belgium, if I don't pay, should I expect any repercussions? I ask because from what I've heard, if you are a foreigner not paying a fine in Belgium you should expect no repercussions at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
20 over the limit within city limits would be a 35 € fine, but a. you were probably a bit slower and b. nothing will happen because you live in Belgium. You might get a letter, but there is no way to enforce the fine at the moment (that might change in the future).

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
that's great news, if it had happened in Belgium I would have been down €150

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I'd be kinda surprised if you couldn't talk yourself out of the ticket based on how city signboards are different.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

kanonvandekempen posted:

Apparently the signboard when you enter an urban area in Germany is a yellow rectangle, as opposed to the white rectangle I'm used to. I was driving at 70 km/h, while I was supposed to drive 50 when I saw the automated camera flash, how much of a fine can I expect?

Wait so in Belgium you can drive 70 inner-city? Because if not I don't see a reason you drove 70 in the first place if you were driving into a city/town.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Zwille posted:

I'd be kinda surprised if you couldn't talk yourself out of the ticket based on how city signboards are different.

It's a little hard to argue with an automated camera, and if it is really only €35 I don't think I can be bothered.

Sereri posted:

Wait so in Belgium you can drive 70 inner-city? Because if not I don't see a reason you drove 70 in the first place if you were driving into a city/town.

It's 50 km/h just as in Germany, I was in no way driving dangerously fast for the situation and I always keep to the speed limits. In 7 years of regularly driving in Belgium I have never had a speeding ticket, because I try never to go over the limit. I enter Germany for 10 minutes and I get a speeding ticket

Anyway enough about this, I don't want to start a discussion here.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 12, 2010

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Zwille posted:

I would be surprised if you actually could.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah, that's why I said "kinda" - it's not like you'd be able to talk yourself out of anything ticket related while abroad because it's different at home, now that I think of it.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
There are treaties regarding tickets between many European countries. You might actually get a nice letter asking for money soon. And you won't be able to talk yourself out of this situation.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
As far as I know there is no treaty yet (that will change in the fall) between Germany and Belgium. Even if there is, the minimum amount before (foreign) fines are enforced is usually around 70 €.

elwood fucked around with this message at 11:12 on May 12, 2010

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hungry Gerbil posted:

There are treaties regarding tickets between many European countries. You might actually get a nice letter asking for money soon. And you won't be able to talk yourself out of this situation.

In Denmark they follow foreigner's cars to the nearest ATM to pay the fine right away. I'm not sure if they impound the car if he can't pay, but I just wrote and asked them.

Danish News via Google Translate posted:

Immediate Fine for Macedonian chauffeur

The police stopped yesterday afternoon a truck with trailer, which [speeded] on Vordingborgvej in Næstved. Here you have to drive 50 km / h and the truck was measured at 79 km / h. The driver [turned out] to be from Macedonia, and so he paid an immediate fine of 2,744 kroner at the police station in the city.

http://www.112-naestved.dk/articles.php?article_id=792

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

brylcreem posted:

2,744 kroner

You guys don't have the euro?

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
No, they don't. But they should. :)

And directly taking money from foreigners is hilarious.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007
We do that in Norway too, but I'm not sure what we do if they don't have any money.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
Ive got a possible opportunity to move to Karlsruhe later this year for 3 months to do a university placement.

Can anyone tell me anything about the city and general area? Just from brief googling it looks fairly industrial but thats not really a huge isssue.

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

:catstare:
PISSmaster
:woof:

SIM card question if anyone knows..

I'll be buying a SIM card for my phone while in Germany, is it possible to have data access on them or do they only come in minutes? You can't just buy SIM cards over here so I'm unsure of how it works. Can you get it and then pick what services you want and then pay, or do you pick one that say comes with XXX no. of minutes and that's what you get?

My trip is coming up so quickly. I'm getting so anxious. Never been gone so far, or so long! :ohdear:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Unagi posted:

I'll be buying a SIM card for my phone while in Germany, is it possible to have data access on them or do they only come in minutes? You can't just buy SIM cards over here so I'm unsure of how it works. Can you get it and then pick what services you want and then pay, or do you pick one that say comes with XXX no. of minutes and that's what you get?

My trip is coming up so quickly. I'm getting so anxious. Never been gone so far, or so long! :ohdear:

I'm not sure what do you mean with data access. Do you mean internet on your phone? Well prepaid cards usually come as X amount of money, like 10€ 20€ 30€. There are different scales of charges, for example calling people using the same provider , calling landlines or using the internet. Lately a few of the providers offer pay by bill.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Unagi posted:

You can get data on your SIM card there. I posted about cell phones one page back. I asked a similar question in Inspect Your Gadgets and got this response:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3205129&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post375968889

I'm thinking of going with that O2 plan he mentioned when I get over there.

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

:catstare:
PISSmaster
:woof:

Gold and a Pager posted:

You can get data on your SIM card there. I posted about cell phones one page back. I asked a similar question in Inspect Your Gadgets and got this response:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3205129&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=8#post375968889

I'm thinking of going with that O2 plan he mentioned when I get over there.

I guess that's what I get for skimming. Thanks. I have an iPhone and will probably go with T-Mobile while I'm there, hopefully they're not stupid like the US and force you to get certain things for certain phones (which cost more).

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah better don't tell them you have an iPhone because they have special (expensive) plans for that. Be prepared to be price-gouged for SMS. The lowest unlimited data plan has only 30 SMS included and 100 minutes - and costs 49 €. Extra SMS are 0,19 € a piece.

I think you'd be better off with BASE or some similar provider, I heard of data plans as low as 10 € - and they don't gouge you with the iPhone I think.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
Base uses the eplus network, so reception is spotty and speeds are a bit slow. You can't beat them on price though. I use blau.de for my iphone (also on eplus) and pay 9 cents for calls, 9 cents for sms and 10 € for 1gb 3g. It's not as good as t-mobile or vodafone, but it's pay as you go, good enough for me and it's way, way cheaper.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

Ive got a possible opportunity to move to Karlsruhe later this year for 3 months to do a university placement.

Can anyone tell me anything about the city and general area? Just from brief googling it looks fairly industrial but thats not really a huge isssue.

Aside from anything you could learn from wikipedia or google, Karlsruhe is an ok place in general. Didn´t really have a very industrial impression, it´s nice in the summer, especially since most of the university students (if you´re interested in the female gender) were pretty easy on the eyes when I was there.
(if you´re unbiased towards german regional accents, the sound they emanate won´t diminish what you´re seeing)

If you´re into cafés and clubs, you´re all set. Place is a bit on the expensive side, but compared to the really large university-cities you´re not going to have any problems.

Basically: Enjoy.

Tricolor
Nov 10, 2009
Are there many work opportunities for foreign students?

schoenfelder
Oct 16, 2009

Grade moj...
No.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

Stuhlmajor posted:

Basically: Enjoy.

I'm just happy I'm finally leaving that city after 5 years. loving crazy town.
The first 6 months had been somewhat interesting. People are nice, women are easy. It gets boring really fast, though.

And gently caress the way they're raping my mother's language!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

I quickly browsed this thread but I didn't see anything regarding this:

My grandparents are headed to Berlin next week, is there anything I should ask them to bring me back? Berlin or German only candy or drinks?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Ask 'em to chip a piece off the holocaust memoria... oh wait, that's the Berlin Wall, I always get those confused.

Berliner Weiße mit Schuß would be the souvenir of choice, but I doubt they'll be able to bring that stuff on the plane, even if it's bottled. Pfannkuchen would be easier to transport (but messier) and besides, you'd get the same or at least similar experience from jelly donuts.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!
Knusperflocken - not really specific to Berlin but the tastiest souvenir ever.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

heeebrew posted:

My grandparents are headed to Berlin next week, is there anything I should ask them to bring me back? Berlin or German only candy or drinks?

Have them go to the KaDeWe which is sort of like the Harrodd's of Berlin- all kinds of overpriced items for tourists to bring home. Supermarkets should carry the aforementioned Berliner Weisse or if you want to go non-alcoholic try to find Almdudler lemonade (it's Austrian, but I have seen it in a few Berlin stores before). Pretty much all the Kinder brand candy items are great as is Hanuta :)

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Oh, of course, if you wanna get specific drinks, you could get the whole slew of alternative sodas: Fritz Kola is available in a poo poo ton of different flavors and I think it's the one soda that kicked off the hype, lotsa others tried to copy it but failed (I think) - but it originated in Hamburg. Bionade isn't specific to any city in particular, but it gave a subculture in Berlin its name: Bionade Biedermeier. It's sorta like eco-soda, not as sweet as regular soda. Then there's Club Mate, which is sort of an acquired taste, and not specific to any city in particular either, but again, it's popular in Berlin. It's like leftist Red Bull (but with a completely different taste).

Almdudler is a pretty new phenomenon as far as soda and Berlin go. It used to be that it was rarely available in bars, but now they've started an even more groan-worthy campaign than Bionade which features such gems as "5 Minuten Nachspülzeit". Here's a bit on the Bionade campaign though, which was MUCH better. http://www.blog-8.de/marketing-von-fuhrenden-us-getrankeherstellern-nicht-empfohlen

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Bionade is awesome. Your grandparents should buy Bionade. Holunder Bionade is my favourite.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Holunder is for sissies. Ingwer-Orange is where it's at.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Tricolor posted:

Are there many work opportunities for foreign students?

schoenfelder posted:

No.

Ich möchte in Berlin studieren. Für Studenten gibt es absolut keine Jobs, oder?

I plan on participating in my university's exchange program, and I will use a combination of savings, loans and such to help fund my exchange. How hard is it to get any part time work as a student, in Berlin in particular? Would I be able to find bar work and the kinds of things that backpackers tend to do?

DeusEx
Apr 27, 2007

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Ich möchte in Berlin studieren. Für Studenten gibt es absolut keine Jobs, oder?

I plan on participating in my university's exchange program, and I will use a combination of savings, loans and such to help fund my exchange. How hard is it to get any part time work as a student, in Berlin in particular? Would I be able to find bar work and the kinds of things that backpackers tend to do?

Well, I'm from Hamburg, but I'd say that regarding student work opportunities it's probably the same as Berlin. It's NOT hard to find SOME kind of job as a student, but you won't get many additional offerings because of your foreign background, especially as an native English speaker. Native English speakers are a dime a dozen in big German cities. Also if your German is still quite rough, it might be even harder compared to find job compared to a German student.

Bar, club, waiting tables kind of jobs are really easy to find, if you're a somewhat attractive female. It's much harder for males, but in any case you need a somewhat bouncy and open personality to get them. Gas stations seem always to be on the lookout for people who are willing to take the nightshift, and many students do this.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

yeah i think it can be really hard, especially if your german isn't good. From memory if someone wants to hire a foreigner they have to show they can't find a german to fill the role.

also beware the mini-jobs that pay max 400 eur/month but often desperate foreigners get sucked into working them full time

Fasheem
Feb 19, 2007

unixbeard posted:

From memory if someone wants to hire a foreigner they have to show they can't find a german to fill the role.

That's to get a working visa. The rules are different with a student visa.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

I'm an EU citizen so I don't need to worry about student visa or the not being able to find a suitable EU citizen first thing.

Most of the stuff I've read online and such says that it's 99.9% impossible to find a job as a student and you will be too poor to afford anything and has been generally pretty pessimistic so I figured I'd ask here, too. The other stuff might have been more aimed at US students or something, though.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Fasheem posted:

That's to get a working visa. The rules are different with a student visa.

do know the rules for students well enough to explain? i never got a good grasp on them, they seemed a bit intricate for my grasp of german.

quote:

Most of the stuff I've read online and such says that it's 99.9% impossible to find a job as a student and you will be too poor to afford anything and has been generally pretty pessimistic so I figured I'd ask here, too. The other stuff might have been more aimed at US students or something, though.

you have to understand that Berlin is the coolest city in Germany so all the young people want to go there to study. Indeed, entry to the universities is quite competitive because everyone applies. One of my cousins from Berlin has to go to university in Leipzig because he can't get in to uni in Berlin.

So with all the people moving there and looking for work, it can be hard to find it, especially when everyone else speaks perfect german. It is a pretty cheap place to live though.

such an awesome place. just looking at it on the map makes me miss it.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Not really, the number of inhabitants of Berlin hasn't changed in the past 20 years or so. It's just that they're perfectly happy living of the money they get from the rest of the country where people are unbohemian enough to consider having a job a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

yes it is a bit like that, but: The official unemployment rate is something like 15% for berlin vs 7.5% for the rest of germany, and I doubt that includes all the ausländers there trying to "make it".

berlin has a kind of youthful naivety where it's totally normal to be in your late twenties and to never have had a "real" job. It rocks. Enjoy it while it lasts