Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Iron Squid posted:

Does everyone in Holland hate the Germans? My g/f is Dutch and she has a fantatical hatred of all thing German.
I've lived in the Netherlands for three years and never had any problems. There's a lot of mutual teasing but it's mostly in good humor.

elwood posted:

As for the bavaria, austria questions.

If you compare germany to the us, bavaria is texas, austria is canada.
I can see why you would compare Bavaria to Texas, but Austria is the more conservative, more backwards version of Bavaria, not exactly how I would describe Canada with respect to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
There are tens of thousands of students in Munich who don't have anywhere close to 1500 Euros and get by just fine. Try 800.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

OneArmedScissor posted:

and they also get mommy and daddy to pay their rent
Also a lot of the students there are from Munich, so they still live with their parents.

Sure, but those who still live at home don't have 800 Euros a month.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Liface posted:

That's actually not true that most countries dub. The only ones I can think of offhand are France, Spain, and possibly Italy.
Not true. Almost all countries where the local language has a sufficiently high number of native speakers use dubbing or voice-overs (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Russia...).

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Not really, the number of inhabitants of Berlin hasn't changed in the past 20 years or so. It's just that they're perfectly happy living of the money they get from the rest of the country where people are unbohemian enough to consider having a job a good thing.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Berlin is quite disjointed though, it's more like several smaller cities than one big one, it's a lot like the Ruhrgebiet that way. All that empty space in between is loving annoying and definitely doesn't make Berlin any more of a big city than Hamburg or Munich.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Default Settings posted:

Koblenz

Skip Koblenz and go to Ahrweiler (and the Government Bunker) and Mainz instead.

Edit: Why in the world would you want to visit Osnabrück? I used to live there and loved it but there's nothing there to see at all. At least go to Münster.
Also, you should include some place in the Ruhrpott in your itinerary. No, Köln and Düsseldorf don't count.
And if you're in the area anyway (Bingen), see the Niederwalddenkmal.

Previously on GBS fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jun 30, 2010

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Default Settings posted:

Ah, that is a good suggestion, thank you! But why Mainz?
Chagall Window's, Wine!, Gutenberg (and the Gutenberg museum), Lots of cool old Roman stuff, The Republic of Mainz, Mainz Cathedral

Default Settings posted:

It's possible that we visit the Zeche Zollern in Dortmund. Aside from the industry, is there anything to the Ruhrpott I missed?
I don't think so. But it's the largest urban area in Germany and it's quite significant historically so I think you shouldn't skip it if you really want to experience Germany. I've never been there but I really want to go to Zeche Zollverein in Essen.

Previously on GBS fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 30, 2010

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Quote is not edit

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Hungry Gerbil posted:

If you're interested in old architecture don't go to Munich. Almost everything worth seeing is gone since WWII.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Brecht posted:

General question -- I'm making a permanent move to Germany later this month and I want to get on an iPhone 4 plan pretty much ASAP. What's the best way to do this? Can I buy one from an Apple store in the US, and bring it to pretty much any carrier in Berlin, and get set up? Or must I go to a T-Mobile store and get everything from them?

Also, I didn't have much luck navigating the T-Mobile .de site for rate plans. If I want unlimited data and a reasonable amount of SMS, what am I looking at pro monat?
You can get plans that are cheaper than T-Mobile from other carriers. Just buy an unlocked iPhone in France, the UK, the Czech Republic (also Italy and Belgium I think) and then get whatever is the cheapest plan in Germany.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah, Alice is good. I was really happy with Kabel Deutschland, too, their customer service is really good in my experience. Plus you get better upload speeds with cable. The subcontractors who do the installation are hit or miss though.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

westborn posted:

Because Abenteurer isn't exactly an ordinary job designation, where it would be dropped usually.

I don't think that's the reason, "Ich bin Student auf dem Weg zu meinem Schatz." doesn't quite sound right either. Strangely, "Auf dem Weg zu meinem Schatz bin ich Abenteurer." is perfectly fine.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

westborn posted:

It's not perfectly fine, because it can be taken to mean he's only an adventurer when he's on his way to his treasure.

It's grammatical. So given that we're discussing grammaticality and not semantic equivalence, it's perfectly fine.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
In Bavaria, traditionally you get married in Lederhosen and Dirndl and quite a few people still do that, even in Munich. I wish I'd done that.

System Metternich posted:

My great-grandmother used to wear this :) But they've pretty much died out by now.

I would be happy if all the drat tourists who feel the need to appropriate Bavarian culture would at least wear regular modern Dirndls instead of those cheap slutty versions.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Nah, Kohl just lucked out with the reunification. Having Wowereit as a chancellor sounds about as bad as 8 more years of Merkel though, I kinf of like him but he has no discernible talent besides looking pretty. At least you can't say that about Merkel.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Jiminy Krimpet posted:

Do Germans feel that "multi-kulti" is really dead or is it mainly top-down populist political rhetoric?

Why are Germans so apprehensive about Google Street View? The reaction to seeing one's home on GSV seems to be :aaa: no matter where you live, but in America that face means AWESOME and in Germany it means something less positive, from what I gather.

Are you happy that Germany is in the EU?

And the fun one, what's the easiest way to spot an American tourist?

- I have no idea. "multi-kulti" is kind of an old-fashioned term though.

- 1. because we're private people 2. because we tend to be sceptical about companies making profit of public goods 3. because we've had two surveillance states in the past hundred years and are more sensitized to the issue

- I don't think the EU would even exist without Germany, at least not in its current state, so the question is more whether I like the EU. Kind of, but I used to be a lot more enthusiatic about it.

- Either very fat or very skinny, badly dressed, always walking in the bike and speaking too loudly

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Most American Third Reich-related humor seems to be built on the premise that Hitler is somehow inherently funny, which is not only lazy but also slightly offensive ("Reich us"? Ugh).

I really like this one: http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=-4655323211378605528

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

schoenfelder posted:

Universities generally just offer English-speaking programs at Master, PhD and post-doc levels.
PhD programs in Germany usually do not include any taught classes, postdocs never take classes, they give them.

schoenfelder posted:

They would probably prefer to hire from within the EU (my hypothesis!) and even within Germany, as employing non-EU citizens is a bureaucratic nightmare with the German immigration laws.

Have you ever even attended a German university? You seem to have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Nationalities do not really matter in the academic job market, at least not with respect to immigration laws.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
I'm only vaguely familiar with the law in question, but in practice, I've never heard of this being any concern at all (and I work in academia and have been part of hiring committees).

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Oktoberfest really isn't what it used to be, it has changed for the worse during the past 10 years or so. The Historische Wiesn is supposed to be great though.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
tourists in lederhosen are loving offensive. If you like that kind of thing, you'll fit right in at Oktoberfest though.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Why do you think that the university being new is a good thing? It's not a proper university, it's located in the middle of nowhere, and they mostly offer highly specialized study programs. You didn't give any context though, so maybe that is exactly what you are looking for.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
It's not a scam or anything, if you would rather study in English and the program is exactly what you are looking for, then maybe should just go for it. Just make sure that the program is accredited and your degree will be recognized. And maybe find some current students to talk to.

There are some really good Dutch universities near the border, they probably have more classes that are taught in English. Tuition for non-EU students is really high though, 6+k/year if I remember correctly.

I disagree about big universities being better, I got my Bachelor's degree from a pretty small university in a city that I think most Germans couldn't even find on a map and I loved everything about it.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
I think there is, but it's not about really about politics (at least not about the details) and more about the fact that Americans are seen as loud, obnoxious and ignorant.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
I doubt that not including a picture significantly decreases discrimination given that there are so many other things that give away ethnicity/nationality/race. Chance is you can find a picture of the applicant online anyway. Either way, the potential discrimination is only delayed to the interview. It's a nice idea and everything, but it really seems pointless.
That said, I think pictures on CVs are silly. There are several rather odd things that Germans (used to) list in their CVs, like religious affiliation, parents' professions and hobbies.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
x (I assume that is what you mean by "heavy "K" sound") is pronounced with the tongue at the back of the mouth and is used after back vowels (a, o, u), ç (what you call "sh") is pronounced with the tongue further near the front of the mouths and it occurs after front vowels. So basically the rule is simply to be lazy.

EDIT: Unless his teacher really sucks, "ck" and "sh" are probably just his way to write the two sounds that "ch" can represent in German.

Previously on GBS fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 7, 2011

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Ziir posted:

Give me free tap water and/or free refills any day.

Ew, no. I miss Apfelschorle. And Weißweinschorle.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

flavor posted:

If you have foreign tourists coming, you better be ready to accommodate to their reasonable expectations. And it's not unreasonable if foreign tourists expect you to do what is common in many parts of the world. You also can't expect them to know your precious cost/pricing structure.

So the number one priority of any country should be to not upset some dumbass tourists who are too stupid to understand that things don't work the same way as they do at home? Yeah, right.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

flavor posted:

It's stupid not to understand and ignorant not to know the difference between ignorance and stupidity. And sure, everything that's ever criticized is implied to be the number one priority and can therefore be dismissed safely without any hyperbole involved. You're criticizing my post? Well I'll get right on fixing it! Like I've got nothing else to do!
It's often impossible to tell whether you're serious or trolling so hyperbole seems like an okay way to respond.

flavor posted:

I'ma gonna compare something that's illegal in many countries to something that's a strange custom in one.

Neither is drinking in public illegal in all that many countries nor is not providing tap water for free something that's limited to Germany. Still, that bullshit money that's all the same color and size might be a better example.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

flavor posted:

Arguing against the majority of a thread is automatically "not in good faith" or "trolling". Gotcha.
Nothing to do with that, just the inanity your statements.

flavor posted:

Yeah. We can never talk about any non-US subject without flinging poo poo at the US. Ridiculous.

I wasn't going to put Germany on trial, I was criticizing one tiny negative aspect that some people here are defending like their lives depend on it. Chill. I'm not at all saying it's a bad country as a whole.

Are you one of those German immigrants that had bit much of the USA!USA! Kool-Aid? That is so... German.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Devvo posted:

A lot of sites say that student living costs are about 700 Euro/month. Does that sound right? Also, German dorms only seem to cost 200-220 Euro/month, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than American dorms. (The cheapest university housing at my school is about $7500 for nine months, and that's without a meal plan. Of course it's much cheaper to get your own apartment, but still, our system has a culture of milking students dry.)

Assuming I could get in, TU Munich seems to be the best/coolest place to go. I've also found English-speaking programs in Saarbrücken, Paderborn, Bonn, and Aachen. Ignoring university quality for now, which of these four cities would be the most fun to live in?
TU Munich is the highest ranked out of those universities, but 700 Euro/month is not enough money to live in Munich. Also, TU Munich's CS campus is not in Munich but in Garching which is a small city north of Munich. Garching is definitely not a fun place to live and it takes about 30 minutes to get from Garching to downtown Munich.

Dorm rooms may be cheap (though 200 Euro seems awfully low) but they're pretty hard to come by. By the way, I'm not sure if my experience is representative, but my dorm room (studio really) in the US was much nicer than any dorm room I've seen in Germany.

Previously on GBS fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 31, 2012

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

You can get an ok room from the SW in Munich for around 250 a month, mine is 280 but we get a utilities rebate at the end of the year which can be as high as 30euro a month. Garching really isn't that bad to commute to, as it's right on the U6 (i think this is it, it's the blue line), so it's not hard.
I don't think these rooms are easy to get though, many of my friends spent months trying to find housing.
Not all U6 trains go to Garching, it's ridiculously expensive and takes forever.

Devvo posted:

Thanks everyone for the great information.

Just wondering, for the Germans here - is your spoken English as good as your written English? Would you say that your skill level also applies for a significant percentage of other (young) Germans, or are you all just a small, self-selecting bunch on an English comedy forum?
My spoken English is about as good as my written English. I've spent the majority of my adult life living in (mostly) English-speaking environments and my English is better than that of most people I know. The posts written by Germans in this thread definitely don't reflect the average German's English skills.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Torpor posted:

Do Germans dislike (or are highly critical of) Germans speaking English with a German accent?

As an aside, this came up because there's a caster at GomTV for Starcraft 2, Khaldor, who is German and who vehemently denies having a German accent; while some Germans have said they can't stand his German accent. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_daA6glBYQ

I had heard that there was this strange aversion to German-accented English and was just wondering.
His intonation is really German. Germans tend to dislike German accents, but I'm not sure wanting to be able to speak a foreign language without an accent is specific to Germany.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Gneisenaustr is alright, but 61 really isn't too interesting.
People have been trying very hard to make Neukölln happen for what seems like ten years now, but there is such a thing as trying too hard and while I like Neukölln, I find it all a bit predictable and pretentious (and I live in Friedrichshain, so that's saying something).
For me it's Kreuzberg 36 > Friedrichshain > Nord-Neukölln > Kreuzberg 61. What these places all have in common is that there are far too many tourists there, especially in Friedrichshain and 61. If I were to move, I'd probably move to 36 or maybe Mitte.

Berlin is a big city (both in terms of population and area), so I think the best strategy is to find a place where everything you need is right there (which might be 36 for you), given the horrible weather during winter and the surprisingly lovely public transportation living near the place where you really want to be doesn't really cut it.

Edit:

APimpNamedSlickback posted:

I'm going to be going there in January. Does this make any difference? All of a sudden, what seems to be easy walking distance becomes... 30 degrees Fahrenheit. Is it hard walking in the cold? I mean, I have no problem walking 25, 30 minutes in Northern California. It never gets that cold though.
It does make a difference. It's not just the temperature but also the wind and the rain. Out of all the places I've lived, Berlin has the worst winters by far.

Previously on GBS fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 6, 2012

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
You can register a residence in Berlin in any of the Meldeämter there, but I don't see why that would make a difference.

Just pay what you loving owe.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
I don't have one but now I'm beginning to wonder whether I should get one.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007

Gold and a Pager posted:

It's not that Berlin doesn't have a ton of culture and museums, it's just that Munich doesn't have a great nightlife/party scene and Berlin does, unless Oktoberfest is what you look for in a party.

Bullshit.

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Maybe but just because Munich's nightlife is less tourist-friendly doesn't mean it's not pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previously on GBS
Jul 13, 2007
Berlin is not more friendly to tourists in the literal sense, but its nightlife is more accessible to non-locals.

It's been a few years since I left Munich but in addition to those two you listed I always liked Registratur, 59:1, Kafe Kult...

I've been to many of the places in Berlin you listed and I liked some of them but in many places there are just too many drunk tourists and/or people who are way to busy being cool to enjoy themselves.