Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

gi- posted:

I will be spending almost a week in Germany in early February, particularly in Frankfurt, Mainz, Stuttgart, Munchen, Nurnberg and Bonn/Coln. A rental will be my mode of transportation. What places should I definitely see? I realize that I am trying to see a lot of places in a very short time snap. Any suggestions where I can look for hotel reviews/bookings?
Are you really set on using a car? Because it's not the best way of getting around, the train is far superior.

If you insist on some Autobahn action you might want to only rent a car when you're in the south; the scenery is a lot better and you'll be traveling longer distances so you might actually have the chance to build up some speed.

As for hotels, just check the same places you would when booking any other hotel. Kayak and Tripadvisor have always worked for me.

The top priorities for me on your itinerary would be Köln, München, and Nürnberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

palmy posted:

Some friends and I are planning a year-long trip to Germany. To live there and work.
If I were to get a job in the service industry (like a waiter), would residents be ordering in English, or should I learn some German?
English teaching and translation are much better bets than waiting tables. Hope you have an EU passport.

Sheik Yerbouti posted:

You can also try some (since the 70s) quintessential Berlin food and get yourself some Döner Kebap :haw:
Yeah, good German food is relatively easy to come by in the US but good Turkish food is not. So, don't miss out on those Döners.

Soy Division fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 4, 2010

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Learning any language is hard, but I wouldn't say German is harder than most. I've been learning German for 10+ years and have taken stabs at a few other languages along the way. The thing with German is that it is very regular (unlike the Romance languages) so once you learn and internalize the rules - which are indeed complicated, but aren't terrible - you are pretty much set.

Pronunciation is trivially easy compared to something like French, let alone any tonal languages. (It seems to be harder for some people than others, though. My girlfriend has been studying German for some time, lived in Sachsen-Anhalt and still can't pronounce Köstritzer correctly.)

I can guess the correct genders of nouns more often than not. There are actually some workable rules that are very helpful and the rest you really do internalize after a while. I have much more trouble with adjective endings and the subjunctive which is mainly due to lack of practice. (Sadly it doesn't look like living in Germany is in my immediate future.)

German is definitely tougher than Spanish, Portuguese, or Italian but I'd argue it's easier than French.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Bellabel posted:

I'm leaving the US for the first time this summer to study in Germany for a year :aaaaa: I'm scared but fantastically excited.

I'm not using an exchange program, so I'm not quite sure yet which school I'll be going to. Right now I'm leaning toward Humboldt-Universität in Berlin. It'll be the first time I've left the country, let alone living somewhat independently (if you don't count the dorms) so naturally I'm terrified! Do you have any living tips for a 20-year old girl? I'd welcome any and all advice on
Great choice. Berlin is incredible.

quote:

-WG and other living options
Clean up after yourself and act like an adult, keep in mind that you will likely be living with people who are a few years older than you are.

quote:

-what I should wear as to not look like a buffoon
Pretty much wear the same things you would in the US. There are some differences, but nothing major. For example, cargo pants are a much more acceptable fashion option in Germany.

quote:

-things I should take, and what I should buy there
Buy new clothes before you leave. It's not worth buying clothes in Germany unless it's something impossible to get in the US. Prices are usually higher to begin with and there's a 19% VAT on top of that.

I always get writing instruments and stationery when I am in Germany. They're of a higher standard than in the US.

quote:

-cash money, and how to obtain it
ATM's work, just be sure to notify your card company so they don't deny your transactions. Don't plan on relying on a credit card for daily expenses, Germany is still very much a cash only country.

quote:

-friends, and how to obtain them
It's hard to make friends in Germany. The best idea is to join a club. Germans LOVE clubs and there are clubs for everything. The good news is that friendships in Germany, once formed, are usually very loyal and long-lasting.

quote:

-cheap food (especially eggs, dairy and vegetables)
Supermarkets are actually pretty cheap in Germany, unless you are doing your food shopping on the 6th floor of KaDeWe you will be fine. (Although you should go to the 6th floor of KaDeWe at least once.)

quote:

-stuff I should absolutely experience while I'm there
Well, the major sights in Berlin are pretty obvious. Go to as much cultural stuff as you can. Operas, Berlin Philharmonic, etc. It's not that expensive. Eat lots of döners and Turkish food in general.

Try to go to Berghain, it's an unforgettable experience. Berlin nightlife is amazing and actually pretty easy on the wallet.

You'll probably see the East Side Gallery as a matter of course but let me recommend it again, it's great. Same thing with Park Sanssouci and Potsdam in general. Do lots of bike riding.

Definitely make some trips to Eastern Europe, it's right there and it would be a shame to miss out.. Also a trip to Munich and the Bavarian Alps would be great.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Bellabel posted:

Also, what's the deal on appliances (hair dryer, etc)? Can I just use a converter?
Most don't even need converters, just a plug adapter. Check the voltage rating on the plug.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Is anyone in this thread a student in Berlin? Can you give me an idea on the cost of rent, food, entertainment and stuff like books etc? Hoping to do an exchange in Berlin next year.
I don't live in Berlin but I have spent time there in the past and I would budget pretty much the same (in dollars) as I would for a US college town - maybe a bit more for rent depending on where you're from and what sort of living arrangement you want.

This assumes that you will be cooking for yourself at least 50% of your meals, shopping at normal supermarkets, not buying many clothes (seriously buy yourself new clothes before you leave), drinking beer when you go out (beer is dirt cheap but mixers and cocktails cost much more), etc. Overall costs are pretty low, especially if you live in the areas where students tend to congregate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Zwille posted:

Yeah, people talk about $25-$50 STF Levi's in YLLS all the time and here they're €150-180. What the actual gently caress.
Wait until you see how much Wranglers cost..