Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I'm considering going for studying 2D animation, I've already covered my bases education wise (unrelated field), so I cant take another 4 years so 2 years or less will have to do.

I was actually thinking of applying in Capilano University, has anyone heard of anything about it? do any of you know of any short-term (2y or less) programs that are good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

gmc9987 posted:

Hey, for anyone who uses flash and is interested in stuff like that -

http://www.5etdemi.com/blog/archives/2005/03/pixel-tools-v2-available/

Flash plug-in that adds pixel drawing tools to your toolbar.

Hey that's pretty sweet! I'll have to make a pixel animation sometime :) It seems to work really well. I always wondered how people did pixel animations in a sane way.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
pixel tools breaks in CS4. It conflicts with the bone tool.

Happy the Pirate
Oct 2, 2009

gmc9987 posted:

Hey, for anyone who uses flash and is interested in stuff like that -

http://www.5etdemi.com/blog/archives/2005/03/pixel-tools-v2-available/

Flash plug-in that adds pixel drawing tools to your toolbar.
Woah, something like that exists? And here I was always using paint for that sorta thing.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

9nine posted:

I just ran across this animation today and thought I'd share. It is a thing of hilarious, 8-bit beauty. Also, it's definitely :nws:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egcXvqiho4w

Is there a swf or whatever of this kicking around? It's awesome but quality of the youtube version is a it lovely.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

I'm thinking about going with this for the titles of my animations... The text will "bloop" out with a nice sound. The music will start here. I guess it's fun and neutral. I was thinking about going for something more complicated involving my character, but I think I will go for the simpler solution.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I love your title graphic design thus far. Simple and attractive to look at. Play with and tweak it though cause if you have graphic design ability no reason why you shouldn't exercise by seeing how much more pro you can make that lovely first-impression graphic look.

I don't know much about graphic design - I tend to work very rough and loose. However it is entirely possible for me to quite simply learn. I'll have to if I want to make my own polished films anyway, and principles of graphic design that work for things like title cards also work in the actual animation anyway.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

BrokenCycle posted:

That one particular random drawing in the middle, and the one at the end, shows that you can draw in a very quirky and funny style. Embrace that. I don't really know how long you've been animating, but it seems like you're a little passive to get that side of you out. But once you break through that, it can be a blast. I was the same way.

As for your animation, it really doesn't look like animation quite yet, but a series of keyframes that need to be inbetweened.

Thanks for the pointers! Would you happen to have any examples of your own work handy that could illustrate that point visually to me about breaking out of being passive about quirky/funny style?

And yes, these are the rough keys. I will be working on tying them down tomorrow, actually. I also wont be in-betweening them 'till I get everything else working.

Ciro-Flex
Jan 28, 2009
An animation that a fellow undergrad and I were recently commissioned to work on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BntS3dMvmb0

We completed it in about a period of three weeks. The piece was featured in the most recent Chicago International Film Festival, promoting DePaul University's Digital Cinema program. I did the lighting, rendering, and the title slug at the end, my friend did the cube animation. It was screened at the downtown AMC Theatre.

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it
OK so I don't know a single thing about animating, and I have a couple of undoubtedly retarded questions for this thread. I want to make a moving picture comparable to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms2klX-puUU

From what I can gather, this consists of reams upon reams of hand drawn pencil images and none of it is done on the computer, which is what I want. I'm not concerned with the polish that comes along with refining things on the computer, or doing something professional-quality with hand drawn images either like old animations, I just want to get a moving thing into a video from a trillion pages of loose leaf paper, and be able to add sounds from mp3s I made as well.

I can kinda draw stuff and have some amount of faith in my ability to reproduce a character over and over with slight variations that will end up indicating motion, I somewhat understand the mechanics of how things move and look when they're doing things, but my big problem is how the hell do I get it onto the computer like that?

Like I said, retarded questions.

To me, that video I posted looks like they took a bunch of PICTURES of the drawings and then stitched it together in... something. That can't be right, maybe they scanned them all and the "smudginess" (especially in the first bit) are a result of handling the paper or something. This is what I have access to:

-lots of paper
-pens/ pencils
-a scanner
-CS3

Yeah, I'm that animation-illiterate that I don't know what in CS3 I would need to use to make a moving picture. All I use in there is photoshop, but I have the whole thing thanks to a nice friend of mine.

So, can I make a thing like the video I posted using the things I have available to me, without ending up with that "flash look"? Cause I don't want it to look like a flash thing.

Basically what I'm looking for is step-by-step instructions as if you were speaking to a child, like "scan pictures, put them in a folder, open this program, put them in there in this manner, tell it to do this thing, press this button, <computer magic here>, and then you have a video" but it is probably not that simple at all.

I've been meaning to learn the minimum I need to make something like this for a long time, but I've been drawing for hours each day lately and it has really vaulted my ability to draw characters in different poses so I figure now is a good time to finally start in on this type of thing!

If it helps, one time I made a flip book of a dong waving back and forth and it looked like the thing I posted only 2 seconds long and... a dong.

Thanks to anyone who cares to tackle my pathetic situation, cheers!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

TONY DANZAS HO posted:

my big problem is how the hell do I get it onto the computer like that?
At my college we used a program called flipbook along with camera stands to shoot pictures. It is a rudimentary program but it gets the job done pretty quickly and without much effort as long as it is only rough pencil drafts.
I guess you could also achieve the same thing by scanning pictures and saving them all in a folder with sequential names and then loading them as a video composed of a string of images in adobe after effects or premiere.

quote:

To me, that video I posted looks like they took a bunch of PICTURES of the drawings and then stitched it together in... something. That can't be right, maybe they scanned them all and the "smudginess" (especially in the first bit) are a result of handling the paper or something.
The smudginess is probably just there because they didn't bother to clean it up. In a top of the line studio like Disney they spend hours making sure every drawing looks great.

quote:

This is what I have access to:

-lots of paper
-pens/ pencils
-a scanner
-CS3
You will also need a light table, which is a drafting table with a Plexiglas window and a light behind it. It allows you to put drawings on top of each other and see through them. While not absolutely required, having a special animation peg and animation paper puncher would help a lot, but you can get away with a normal hole puncher and a handmade peg to hold the drawings in the same position.
I think some light tables can be bought online for pretty cheap or I even recall seeing some tutorials on how to build one yourself.

quote:

So, can I make a thing like the video I posted using the things I have available to me, without ending up with that "flash look"? Cause I don't want it to look like a flash thing.
Yes, if you just load the scanned images and put them together in a video.

quote:

Basically what I'm looking for is step-by-step instructions as if you were speaking to a child, like "scan pictures, put them in a folder, open this program, put them in there in this manner, tell it to do this thing, press this button, <computer magic here>, and then you have a video" but it is probably not that simple at all.
I don't know this from the top of my head and I don't have the program with me right now, but if I were to do this in after effects it would be something like this:
-Scan images with sequential numbers into one folder.
-Start after effects
-Composition> New composition
-File> import> image 01 > Load as a string (or something like that when it prompts a window)
-Drag the image sequence into the timeline
-File > Export > Choose whatever file type you want

Another thing I recommend is that you read "The animator's survival kit" and/or "the illusion of life", although I think the former is better if you only care about the technical aspects. At the very least you should read this wikipedia article on the 12 principles of animation as using them makes any animation WAY better.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 27, 2009

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Hackuma posted:

Another thing I recommend is that you read "The animator's survival kit"

This book is amazing and demystifies the entire process.

rotateTranslate
Jul 19, 2006
ra ra im a dinosaur
I'm about to finish my first year of an animation degree. I'm currently working on this for my 3D class.

http://www.vimeo.com/7860603

the animation and texture aren't finished yet, still have some tweaks to do, but its getting there. I've set up a lighting rig and have done some test renders with global illumination and final gather, but am having some trouble getting raymarching to work.

I've worked on this from concept to completion.

I'm also working on a 30 second 2D animation, but I need to do the whole thing by friday, so its looking really rushed and terrible.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
I actually prefer Character Animation Crash Course a little bit more than Animator's Survival Kit. Animator's Survival Kit, while fairly in-depth, can be extremely confusing. The amount of pages spent on walk cycles alone will boggle anyone's mind. Character Animation Crash Course is as in-depth, and I actually feel that the examples are better too. There is so much charm to the entire book.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

BrokenCycle posted:

I actually prefer Character Animation Crash Course a little bit more than Animator's Survival Kit. Animator's Survival Kit, while fairly in-depth, can be extremely confusing. The amount of pages spent on walk cycles alone will boggle anyone's mind. Character Animation Crash Course is as in-depth, and I actually feel that the examples are better too. There is so much charm to the entire book.

Eric Goldberg is visiting my school next semester. :)

nef
Feb 21, 2005

Grrr grrrrrrr
Some awesome stuff in this thread! Not really surprised that there are so many animators lurking around here.

I made my graduation film in flash, which has made it's way into the Nickelodeon animation festival somehow :D

Well, it didn't win any of the big prizes. But it's still in the running for the viewers choice awards, soooo thought I'd point you guys in it's general direction and ask kindly that you give it a thumbs up if you like it :)

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Times posted:

He's really like a tiny and fat Robin Williams. It's kind of cute. :)

Unconventional Oven
Jan 24, 2006

Not your ordinary oven.
Started messing around with flash once again. Kind of sad I stopped in the first place, it's amazing. Slowly trying to teach myself how to use the program.
Possibly going to be something on my website, not quite sure yet.
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1259458420
[Edit]Finished walk cycle: Kinda looks like she needs to take a poo poo.
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1259493199

Unconventional Oven fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 29, 2009

TONY DANZAS HO
Aug 27, 2003

retired
and
loving it

Hackuma posted:

lots of nice advice

Thank you this is very helpful! I am not looking to make anything super clean so this right here should be enough to get me started. It isn't anything I'm jumping headlong into at the moment, but after I clear some projects out of the way then I am going to, so I wanted to make sure I had some vague idea of how to start before I started.

Thanks again!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, no problem. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Armpit
Aug 21, 2008

Alright! Animation!

Saucy Robot posted:

Here's a film I did in the Spring of '08. The animation is pretty limited because I didn't have a lot of time and I didn't really have any animation experience, so I tried to keep it simple.
Its a dinosaur western.

I know this is from a while back but I have to say how much I like this. The expressions were great. I'll be looking forward to your next film.

I've been lurking this thread for a little while now, figured I'd finally post. I'm a 2D animation student, just starting to get to character animation. I put up all of my school assignments here: http://www.youtube.com/user/DrewDrawsThings
They're usually not completely finished because of deadlines but I'm planning to go back and fix up the better ones over the winter break so any critiques are welcomed!

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I just saw this:
http://theblackheartgang.com/2007/12/18/the-making-of-the-tale-of-how-2007/

The Blackheart Gang put a "making of the Tale of How" on their website. They do a breakdown of two scenes and it turns out that each one has over 300 layers and they go in depth into the creation of the look and feel of the piece.

If you haven't seen it yet, watch it:
http://theblackheartgang.com/the-household/the-tale-of-how/

It was done by three people in their spare time over nine months. I wish I had such dedication and focus.

Plain Cheese Pizza
Aug 26, 2006

Sssh! They might have daggers...

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm considering going for studying 2D animation, I've already covered my bases education wise (unrelated field), so I cant take another 4 years so 2 years or less will have to do.

I was actually thinking of applying in Capilano University, has anyone heard of anything about it? do any of you know of any short-term (2y or less) programs that are good?

I'm in my first year of the Commercial Animation program at Cap, and I'm really enjoying it. I also chose it because of the program's length. Its very work intense, I can't remember the last time I had a weekend that wasn't spent in class at my table.

There's plenty of portfolio's online and demo reels on Youtube that will give you an idea of what kind of work you'll be doing in the program. If you any questions shoot me a private message.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I just saw this:
http://theblackheartgang.com/2007/12/18/the-making-of-the-tale-of-how-2007/

The Blackheart Gang put a "making of the Tale of How" on their website. They do a breakdown of two scenes and it turns out that each one has over 300 layers and they go in depth into the creation of the look and feel of the piece.

If you haven't seen it yet, watch it:
http://theblackheartgang.com/the-household/the-tale-of-how/

It was done by three people in their spare time over nine months. I wish I had such dedication and focus.

That's really great.

I'm curious how many flash based effects they use and if they took any steps to make the flash render without skipping frames. I saw some blending masks and some alpha in the clouds, which are processor intensive, but not deadly. Most of the actual animation appears to be timeline based. It looks like flash wasn't the final format so they don't have to worry about syncing the sound in flash. Eh, nevermind, unless they were compiling the final presentation on a netbook it wouldn't be an issue. Really good work by them, especially since they were doing it in their spare time.

rotateTranslate
Jul 19, 2006
ra ra im a dinosaur
So I just submitted a render of the Cocodrillo. I'd love some feed back, I know its far from perfect, and I have a long list of fixes I want to make, but some fresh eyes would be appreciated.

http://vimeo.com/7938437

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Vaporware posted:

That's really great.

I'm curious how many flash based effects they use and if they took any steps to make the flash render without skipping frames. I saw some blending masks and some alpha in the clouds, which are processor intensive, but not deadly. Most of the actual animation appears to be timeline based. It looks like flash wasn't the final format so they don't have to worry about syncing the sound in flash. Eh, nevermind, unless they were compiling the final presentation on a netbook it wouldn't be an issue. Really good work by them, especially since they were doing it in their spare time.

I don't think that any Flash effects were used in it. I think that the number of layers of textures they use would have blown Flash's compiler up.

In the "how to" video, they said they only used video compositing tools like After Effects and a 3D program for most of the actual animation. The images themselves were pen and ink, scanned in and colored in photoshop.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

kurisu posted:

some fresh eyes would be appreciated.

http://vimeo.com/7938437

The walk looks good, and the camera shake is well done. The anticipation to the roar is odd though. It's too slow, and too deliberate.

BrokenCycle
Nov 15, 2004

A Rough Job, But...
Anyone buy those "The Art Of... [Kung Fu Panda, Up, Finding Nemo, etc.]" books? I have the Bolt one and it's pretty good, any other recommendations?

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

BrokenCycle posted:

Anyone buy those "The Art Of... [Kung Fu Panda, Up, Finding Nemo, etc.]" books? I have the Bolt one and it's pretty good, any other recommendations?

I don't own it myself, but I flipped through the Wall-E art book and it was pretty stunning. Sometimes you can find things like storyboards and concept art on animator's blogs- I'd recommend Cartoon Brew if you enjoy things like that. There are also some blogs floating around that focus on character design.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

BrokenCycle posted:

I just bought the Kung Fu Panda one (it had been $100, but it's $30 now since it's in print again), and my boyfriend gave me the Finding Nemo one. I recommend both of those along with The Lion King (IT'S HUGE), and Treasure Planet (really good futuristic props and backgrounds) and Brother Bear (lots of nature scenes and storyboards) are my guilty pleasures. Really, though, no concept art books are ever really bad that I've scene. I thought that Narnia was an anomaly to that until I realized I had more of a making of book. :shobon:

Don't know if it counts since it's not animation, but Lord of the Rings and Star Wars have some great concept art.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I remember flipping through the art of Ratatouille and remarking how impressively accurate the 3d lighting was to the fabulous light/colour studies done in 2d. The rat studies are also fabulous to look at, as there's a ton of character to those simple sketches.

rotateTranslate
Jul 19, 2006
ra ra im a dinosaur

Matty D posted:

The walk looks good, and the camera shake is well done. The anticipation to the roar is odd though. It's too slow, and too deliberate.

Thanks, and you're definitely right about the pause. I want to add a breath in there where he breaths in deep to prep for the roar, which should break it up a bit, but I could probably shorten the time held as well.

Forti
May 5, 2009

Nice to see an animation thred :)

I'm a 3d animator about to have to go look for a real job somewhere in the real world, which is a scary prospect. Some kind of daily drawing esque thing to this thread would definitely be helpful.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

9nine posted:

I don't own it myself, but I flipped through the Wall-E art book and it was pretty stunning. Sometimes you can find things like storyboards and concept art on animator's blogs- I'd recommend Cartoon Brew if you enjoy things like that. There are also some blogs floating around that focus on character design.

If you're interested in the art/design/colours/etc. for WALL-E there's a great interview with the production designer here - http://www.animationartconservation.com/wall_e_design_with_a_purpose.html

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Times posted:

I met him at the animation festival in Ottawa a couple months ago. He's an incredibly inspiring guy.

I got hired out of my third year of animation in 2006, worked on a bunch of shows for a few years and just recently started working on storyboards. The industry is pretty dry right now as far as jobs go, a lot of my friends are out of work.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Does anybody have any experience with blending animations for games? If so, is there any advice you could give?

tooner
May 21, 2008
Hi all, tooner here.
I hang here at SA and post from time to time. I've been working in animation about 12 years now, and teach animation and game design at the Art Institute of Seattle.
Here's some of my recent stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ChrisLilesAIS
Post me a hello, any questions?

LiquidPropaganda
Jul 14, 2007

Just a little pinprick.
Therell be no more -aaaanarchy!
But you may feel a little sick.
Just finished up this animation for a class of mine, then I found out it wasn't even going to be used :(

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/521176

Oh well, at least it's cool, I could've used those 12 hours to write final papers though. Still, worth it.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Today I watched The secret of Kells and it was a pretty cool movie. It just had great art all around.
Sadly it will probably still take a long time for it to get to the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

9nine
Sep 1, 2005

I finally finished the first 1/3 of my animation this semester. Unfortunately, I've been having some pretty infuriating issues with exporting the drat files, so I've only got stills to show for it. But I'll upload the video here once I sort everything out.

Sorry for the image dump, I'll thumbnail all of them-

yeah, I kind of like moths.

Edit: I managed to export a gif of the fishbowl, which is here.

9nine fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 19, 2009