Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy the Pirate
Oct 2, 2009
I've been wanting to work on cartoons since I was like 3, but I have trouble keeping track of my work.

I'd like to go to a school with a real animation program, but I'm stuck at community college 'cause I haven't figured out how I can pay for any other school. There's an animation class at my CC but it's pretty much a joke.

What schools did anyone here go to and would you recommend them? If so, why?

Highly editorialized, but it has drat useful information for drawing: http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com

But more importantly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtW6wS3z97Q

Experience the wonders of this fine art.

Edit: Fun exercise. Watch cartoons with the volume turned down. If you can tell what's going on and are entertained, it's animated well. If you're confused or bored, then it's probably crappy.

Happy the Pirate fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy the Pirate
Oct 2, 2009

Matty D posted:

And also I'd recommend between now and attending school anywhere for animation, draw your rear end off. Draw draw draw draw. I don't care if you are doing 3D or not. Drawing is so loving necessary it makes me sick how many kids can't do it. :smith:

If I had a cow for every student that came to school, thinking that cartoons will just draw themselves, I'd enough live stock for a pretty profitable ranch.

I've tried to draw my rear end off but I never keep it up. I'll have 3 days that I won't sleep and I'll draw the entire time followed by 2 weeks of not picking up a pencil.

I think I need to regulate it into a daily schedule or sorts... How much time would anyone recommend that I draw daily?

Happy the Pirate
Oct 2, 2009
I'd really like to go to cal arts, but from what I hear getting in is a bitch. (let alone financing)

Has anyone here gotten in? Any tips for what they look for in portfolios or how to get yourself accepted?

Happy the Pirate
Oct 2, 2009
I scored myself a tablet pc on clearance. It was defective, so it's in the mail and going to be replaced by it's warranty. But... I've gotta say, those things are fantastic for animating. So much better than ordinary graphic tablets, even if it does have a lack of pressure sensitivity.

For those of us who aren't in an animation class or are in a very crappy one (all we do is talk about unrelated things for 4 hours), should we start up maybe a weekly(or however long) activity that's animation-related for everyone who wants to participate in? Just for the sake of practice and fun. I have a little trouble working without guidance currently... so I know I could use something like it.

My suggestion for Vaporware... Don't even bother with tweens for the most part. You'll get better results just dragging, dropping, and rotating the images manually for each frame. If there's one thing a computer can't do as well as a human can it's having good taste. If you practice enough your dragging and dropping control really becomes automatic.

Happy the Pirate
Oct 2, 2009

Matty D posted:

It's like the daily drawing thread, for those of us are sick enough to draw something 10000 times and make it move!

Hmm, maybe it could be a specific exercise? Because doing complicated things like lip sync are so demanding. I would totally be down to organize such activity, maybe make it a part of the thread. Or something else entirely.
If you organized I'd try my best to participate for sure. I could see it being a lot of fun.

Happy the Pirate
Oct 2, 2009

gmc9987 posted:

Hey, for anyone who uses flash and is interested in stuff like that -

http://www.5etdemi.com/blog/archives/2005/03/pixel-tools-v2-available/

Flash plug-in that adds pixel drawing tools to your toolbar.
Woah, something like that exists? And here I was always using paint for that sorta thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy the Pirate
Oct 2, 2009
The biggest problem with flash is that it's not really meant for animating. But it works pretty well once you figure out how to use it.

Still, I see little reason to use any version beyond 8 for animation.

Has anyone here used TVpaint? It looks pretty cool, but I haven't tried it yet.