Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

According to wikipedia:

Animation is the rapid display of a sequence of images of 2-D or 3-D artwork or model positions in order to create an illusion of movement. It is an optical illusion of motion due to the phenomenon of persistence of vision, and can be created and demonstrated in a number of ways. The most common method of presenting animation is as a motion picture or video program, although several other forms of presenting animation also exist.

And I agree.

Animation is truly a creative powerhouse art form. Possibly the ultimate collaboration. Everything you see onscreen is created by an artist. It requires drawing, sculpting, painting, cutting, writing, cinematography, lighting, modeling, camera work, editing, design, acting, sound design, a poo poo ton of patience, and lots and lots of people. It's often under celebrated and under appreciated. But animation is almost always fun.

Here I'd like to bring together both animation enthusiasts and animators! Experienced animators and budding animators. People who seriously want to pursue it as a profession and people just looking to learn the basic techniques and process.

Post animation, whether it's yours or something you'd like to share. And please post questions! Let the critique begin.

Here are some animation resources

http://www.amazon.com/Animators-Survival-Kit-Richard-Williams/dp/0571202284
The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams - this baby is a must. Like 100 pages in this book alone on walk cycles.

Cartoon Brew https://www.cartoonbrew.com - A pretty cool blog that posts stuff about relevant animators and animated films

Matty D fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 29, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
I'll get this ball rolling here posting a short I really like by a professor I had.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8882616853870984312&ei=EVnBSvrYD5OerAL8-Kz6BA&q=stubble+trouble

Each frame was drawn with a china marker on newsprint paper. He punched holes into every sheet to create the peg slots. Much like seen on the traditional animation paper posted above. The beard on the grinding stone sequence was achieved with using 3D software called Maya. A pretty neat example how seamlessly 3D and 2D can coexist.

And at the risk of making a fool of myself after posting that gem above, here is the film I just finished creating in a 5 week span over the summer with a friend of mine. It was our first gig so we are still pretty excited about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaLb7kItA_o

Here is a screen:

The female lead was all hand made with paper, paints, and glue and was shot in traditional stop motion format under a camera. All other imagery was made with the ever useful photo shop, and all compositing was done in after effects. Please feel free to ask questions/critique. If there is enough interest I'll do a write up with some pictures that will show the process in depth!

Matty D fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 29, 2009

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
Oh poo poo the first one is like a 21st century Prince Achmed. Post some preproduction stuff observer!

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

quote:

Observer - 8400 frames
According to my math you did 11.67 shorts then, since the golden standard is 24 frames a second!

quote:

Ghost Hat
I watched your reel, and I really liked the uncolored pencil test animations. Good work. I'm not sure why, perhaps because I was more intrigued by the character design and the action in those shots. I'll sleep on it :unsmith:

quote:

9nine
I'm happy to see you animate. I've seen some of your work in the daily drawing thread, and you have a wonderful sense of design. I watched the clay animation on glass, and I was impressed. I haven't seen much competent clay animation worth a drat where I go to school, and your design sense really shines through. I know how much a bitch it was to follow the line of action on all those blue pieces flying about. Overall I'm not really sure what is going on in the piece, but I didn't really care because it was fun to watch.

Jan Svankmajer is the poo poo and I was super close to including him in the op. Top class pixelation. When I first saw him it was an eye opener for me, because I was naive and thought for it to be animation it had to look like Animaniacs or some poo poo. Boy was I wrong.

10 minute film eh? Kiss your social life goodbye. But hey, that's animation.

Also thanks for the compliment on my film. Cut outs have accidentally turned into my "thing".

quote:

Elentor
I applaud your gusto for doing something quite complicated for your first shot at the craft, especially in photoshop! For a tip in future animations, this piece you posted is very 'in-betweeny'. What I mean by that is, in some spots its too slow. Key frames are typically the the concrete drawings if you know all of this already please excuse me. They are essentially poses. Everything in between keys, is an in-between, or a tween. To make the characters spin seem more visceral and convincing, try deleting a couple drawings. Often times when I animate, I over animate. I go back, remove a drawing or two, or perhaps change a drawing from a 2 to a 1, and it just feels right. What makes movement convincing is often times the speed, and the drawings with tinnnnny little movements that settle into key frames.

With that all said, your character keeps consistent scale and is on model! That's half the battle.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

How do you break down such a monumental task? Right now I am starting on my first coherent short (about seven minutes)

Honestly, I would just make it shorter. 7 minutes is a tooooooonnnn of work, especially if you are going at it alone. I know a lot of kids that wanted to do these 6-10 minute shorts on their own, and almost every time they lose interest and don't finish, or they compromise quality.

Not that it's impossible. Just sometimes less is more.

Jenkins, that was funny. I liked the close up mouth shots. Very Ren and Stimpyish. The polaroid sequence at the end is great.

Matty D fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 30, 2009

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
Here is a collage-esque model sheet for a walk and sit animation exercise I'm working on.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
While I'm not a full time professional because I'm in school, from a 2D standpoint at least, there are jobs if you can illustrate/design. I know a lot of 3D people that couldn't draw themselves out of a wet paper bag. So if you truly have those skills, they can be applied elsewhere (storyboards, character design, layout, concept art etc). Not to mention if you fully understand 2D animation principles, you can animate 3D as well, just learn the software.

Matty D fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 1, 2009

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
A pencil test for an animation I'm working on. It's of the cowboy i posted earlier. Still have to tweak, cleanup, add features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_7hayUnktg

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
I'm going to Columbia right now and I'm in my last semester. It's good and it's bad. It's bad because they accept anyone that can front the money, they don't fail people, some teachers are pretty bad, and they have no portfolio reviews to regulate student's progression. So basically under-qualified 'animators' are graduating every semester.

It's good because it opened my eyes to a lot of new things/techniques, it has decent funding, I like living in Chicago, and I have several super talented working teachers that have helped make me what I am.

It's worked for me because I made it work. All the tools are there, you just have to utilize them, but that's art school. Be ready to be around some kids that aren't good at what they do and really don't care to. If you are serious about being an animator, honestly I'd try to go else where. It's pretty much impossible for schools to really be good with great work consistently coming out of it without portfolio reviews. But then again, I made it work, and I don't regret it!

That's a pessimistic view of a Senior, though. If you have any other specific questions about Columbia/animation school please ask, if I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
My route was a bit different. I found myself to be really like drawing and painting in highschool, and it came to me pretty easily. I had some success in art shows, didn't really know what the hell I wanted to do, so I went to NIU for illustration. The program there was actually pretty nice. They have portfolio reviews 2 years into the program, and if you don't hack it, they move you out of the program. I decided I wanted to move on to something else, to avoid being the guy in Idaho that paints ducks really well for a living. I made the hop to Columbia, didn't really consider anything else.

The floor is open 8 in the morning to 10pm. You can pretty much run around and do what you want. Most kids only do things that they have been exposed to though. For instance in my first semester of school I was in animation 1, I wasn't screwing around with building armatures and doing stop motion. But it's still there. You can still be challenged in the classroom. You just have to bring it upon yourself since most teachers won't bust your rear end.

I recommend taking a tour, check out the loop, and if you like it go for it. Good things can happen here. Columbia has a really nice internship and portfolio program.

And also I'd recommend between now and attending school anywhere for animation, draw your rear end off. Draw draw draw draw. I don't care if you are doing 3D or not. Drawing is so loving necessary it makes me sick how many kids can't do it. :smith:

If I had a cow for every student that came to school, thinking that cartoons will just draw themselves, I'd enough live stock for a pretty profitable ranch.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
Well, teachers do challenge you. But they can tell a deadbeat from a mile away, and to be honest, it's not their job to make students give a poo poo or to motivate them. Just build a relationship with your teachers, because they all love seeing potential in students. And when they find that, they may hold you more accountable, and you will hold yourself more accountable because you don't want to be a deadbeat.

I think this all makes sense.

College is weird because it's an 'adult' setting where people come to acquire a skill so they can go do things outside of college. Some kids go to college because its just "what you do" after high school or they liked watching crappy anime many animation students. It's an adult setting, but not a professional setting, so you can't be fired. So then teachers can become drones that are paid to tolerate kids that don't give a poo poo. Then they don't give a poo poo about those kids. Just don't be one of those kids and they will give a poo poo!

Once again, I think this makes sense.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
Don't work harder, work smarter. You could draw for 10 hours a day and not improve if you aren't learning.

There is a great daily drawing thread in this forum. Post everyday and look at everything everyone else posts.

Matty D fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 6, 2009

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

tuna posted:

Something interesting I found today for all you students out there: http://www.animationmentor.com/landing/becomeanimator/podcast.html

Welp, I knew I should have gone to Cal Arts.

pixelbaron posted:

crit
Good crit pix. I actually have fixed the drink pose. That bastard is bent in half. I sped up the first turn, I just changed the frames and ditched a couple drawings. I didn't redraw anything for that one. It looks better though.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
Some drunk cowboy stills from the animation im working on. Still a WIP, so busy.

Some other art for a new animation im working on. Fat guy skippin rope.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
Sorry Vape, I'm a flash noob.

Here is a pencil test of a fat mant jumpin'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8sIOVMvezc

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

tuna posted:

awesome, thorough crit

Yeah I probably should have pushed some things in the blocking. You should have seen how hosed up it was the first attempt, haha. I really want to start to push overlap, I paid most of that attention to the secondary action of his clothes. This is like my second attempt at hand drawn character animation (cowboy being the first) so I kinda got bogged down in all the details.

Unfortunately I think the majority of this guy is going to have to stay as is. I can fix technical issues, but as for as acting goes I just need to move on. I have to animate a character rolling on a ball down a half pipe. I'll post blocking for that.

And I'm uploading on Vimeo.

Matty D fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 17, 2009

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

Mr. Sharps posted:

Could this thread also serve as a place to put motion graphics for the designers who do such things?

Oh for sure.

Also Ratatat is appropriate for any reel about anything. I'll have some new stuff to show you guys very soon. Really close to done on the drunk cowboy, and I have some blocking done for a boy rolling down a hill in a beach ball.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005
Here's a test im working on. It's a boy waving at a babe (not pictured) at the beach. Still needs some tweens on the back end / tidying up. The perspective makes more sense with the background art.

http://www.vimeo.com/7341037

Tell me what you think.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Weekly activity. That would be ace.

It's like the daily drawing thread, for those of us are sick enough to draw something 10000 times and make it move!

Hmm, maybe it could be a specific exercise? Because doing complicated things like lip sync are so demanding. I would totally be down to organize such activity, maybe make it a part of the thread. Or something else entirely.

Matty D fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 19, 2009

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

Hinchu posted:

Here is the first shot of a little animation I'm starting to work on.

The backdrop was done in Photoshop and then the rat was done in Flash. It was put together in After Effects.

Sorry for the late response, I hope you don't mind if I tell you what I think!

I think the background is gorgeous, and you do a pretty good job of blending that mouse into the environment. The walk looks nice ... making a 4 legged animal move is far from easy. I do think the sit though is a little quick, some anticipation into that would work.

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

kurisu posted:

some fresh eyes would be appreciated.

http://vimeo.com/7938437

The walk looks good, and the camera shake is well done. The anticipation to the roar is odd though. It's too slow, and too deliberate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matty D
Sep 27, 2005

raging bullwinkle posted:

Working on a little motion graphics project with a friend of mine. Still very much in the planning stages. I'd forgotten how fun after effects was.

http://vimeo.com/33027528

You mind telling me exactly how you animated that sunburst that is being the cog and the ribbon? I'm sure it's a shape layer and a repeater - but I always have issues achieving exactly what I'm looking for with shape layer stuff.