Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
This arc will end in tears, I can feel it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

platero posted:

My guess is Ray, and he orchestrated the entire thing to get Philippe home. He will claim it is because he pays attention, but we will find out that Roast Beef is behind it somehow.

DeNeuve only got puzzled when he saw Philippe's mom. Maybe he thinks they're not biologically related?

I dunno, I'm kind of torn between whether DeNeuve is a kindly type who Onstad unintentionally turned into a dead-eyed horror, or whether he really is as sketchy as he appears to be.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
A gentle reminder that Nice Pete's van is padlocked on the inside.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

choobs posted:

Never EVER assume anything when it comes to Nice Pete.

Speaking of whom, I just read his Fried Chicken recipe (linked off of the testicular cookery article). It does not disappoint in terms of either a recipe nor as one of Nice Pete's quietly horrifying anecdotes.

The serial killer's dish delights the tastebuds of my mind.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Revol posted:

Oh man, I feel like Teodor has just made a fatal mistake. It's one thing to play along when you have no choice, but now he's escalated things.

Worst thing that could happen is that Nice Pete escalates the dares even further. Best possible outcome is that Nice Pete now considers Teodor a good friend... and that is actually the very worst thing, in the long run.

Nice Pete's the kind of guy that you don't want to fight back against, but at the same time, encouraging him would be even worse.

Teodor has been Nice Pete's friend for years, ever since he developed tiny murder gifs for him.

That's why he's in this low situation to begin with.

So yeah, you're pretty much absolutely right.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The woman has an rear end-mouth. Pete imagines using the power of his Gaze to kill the woman, to twist her until warm warm blood gushes from her foul orifice and the sounds of breaking glass and burning birds finally cease. For tonight.

Who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also Teodor is absolutely the type of person who believes he's intellectual enough to appreciate something that seems so aggressively dull.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Achewood's coming to an ignominious end. Between Onstad's depression and his inability to let things go, he'll probably just keep picking the comic up to do half-hearted non-sequitur strips like these before dropping it again, and so on and so on, until his finances finally cave in.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Really?

The Lash of Thanatos was a pretty lovely arc and, in my view, where the series' rot really began to settle in. That was the first storyline where it felt like Onstad was using surrealism as a crutch.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Locus posted:

My theory is that his dialogue is the result of Cornelius' "voice" being bottled up too long and it getting all dumped into big speech balloons of British slang. That's how I felt about everyone's dialogue in those first few post-hiatus strips.

More likely is that Onstad's mentally lost touch with all his characters and is now writing them like caricatures to make up for it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Which is why it's so mystifying that someone with a Gunnerkrigg avatar can make such terrible posts. :rolleyes:

There's something definitely up with Cornelius's dialog, and I don't think there's any in-comic reason for it, and Onstad being a bit rusty writing the bear is a pretty good explanation.

Also it's a Paranatural avatar and it's amazing and Paranatural is amazing, go read Paranatural.

Nothing short of a steady update schedule and maybe several small miracles is going to make the characters sound anything like they used to. Cornelius and Ray tend to get it the worst, though, because Onstad just goes apeshit with the lingo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
What the hell does Pat even do for a living? He's the only member of the main cast who's never had a clearly defined job (beyond acting as Vlad's sandwich slave for an undefined length of time). And before he met Rod he had to bring in money somehow, because Nice Pete is more of a hobbyist than a career man and his hobbies only pay dividends in screams.

Also, after reading the cookbook I learned that Philippe really is full-blooded French and grew up in Bordeaux. Wonder what made his parents (or maybe just his mom) move to the States and shrug him off on a house full of weirdos.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dodgeball posted:

The latter was Philippe's mom accidentally mailing him out because she sold a lamp on eBay and thought Philippe was the lamp.

Ha ha, she's such a terrible parent

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Clap your hands and turn off the light. We're done here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I always imagined Ray as sounding like Bubs from Homestar Runner, and this is close enough.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

Scones are like if classical music was a cookie, and the teacher said you had to memorize it, or they would make you smell their gas.

In the car.

With the windows up.

At seven a.m.

So it was their morning gas.

I have a good feeling about this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

I thought that was an accurate description of sous vide.

Sous vide goes for 72 hours, max, and that's in a highly climate-controlled environment to prevent botulism formation. Ray probably just plonked the thing in his bathtub on Monday and forgot about it until Friday.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Laputanmachine posted:

Oh hell and drat yes.

This is the Achewood I know and love.

Mr. Onstad, if you're reading this, good to have you back man.

Good to have you back.

Give it another month or two, still can't be certain that he won't crater again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
He's still burning through his buffer, most likely. Let's see what happens when it runs out.

Remember, kids, joy is a fantasy and hope is a lie.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Achewood: In which Roast Beef is the voice of a nation.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah there was definitely something off about Cornelius even back in May and June. I just recently reread the mini arc where Nice Pete takes Philippe to the Secret Ice Cream Shop and noticed the car Cornelius drives there. A Mini Cooper with custom compartments for fine spirits is so much more a Cornelius kind of car than that frankly ridiculous 1910's probably-Ford T. That just seems like trying too hard.

Don't get me wrong, Cornelius probably is the kind of guy who owns a Ford T in excellent condition but it's stashed away somewhere safe and not his daily driver that he breaks out when Ray ran away from hospital and he has to help find him.

That is literally the case, I think he says in his blog that he bought the thing courtesy of Ray's gambling addiction.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cletepurcel posted:

Didn't he say he was going to wrap up the rehab arc in the blogs?

Ray has appeared once, in a gently caress You Friday. Still I agree.

On another note I'm still trying to translate what Beef is trying to say in panel 3. I mean, I get the general idea of why he has Teodor use that stinky rag but still.

Teodor needs to make himself reek like the veteran trash-pickers or they'll cast him out or something. The "got stripes" line is the only bit that threw me - maybe it alludes to a zebra trying to blend in with horses or something?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

I think it's more of a military experience turn of phrase. The stripes being an indicator of rank.

Oh yeah, that makes more sense. If Teodor stinks then he'll earn instant respect with the pickers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JoshTheStampede posted:

Who, exactly, is Teodor paying rent TO? Isn't he a stuffed animal at Onstad's house?

(yes, I know Philippe is also a stuffed animal but also has a mother and a house somewhere)

Teodor is a stuffed animal at Onstad's house. He is also a tenant. Welcome to Achewood.

There was a short story written during the last hiatus that had T reluctantly meeting the other residents of the house as he got settled in. Assuming nothing's changed since then, the only non-paying tenants are Philippe (who is five) and Lyle (who was technically evicted before Teodor even moved in).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vogler posted:

I agree. The Great Outdoor Fight was when Achewood started to become painfully self-aware. Take a look at the great stories preceding it: Ray's Toilet Party, The Banjo, and The Volvo of Despair. The humor was unpredictable and visceral. You liked them in a way you couldn't explain.

No, I'm pretty sure I can explain exactly why I like them - because they are funny, and good, much like the GOF.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Clipperton posted:

The thing is, none of us know Onstad's personal issues in anything but the most superficial way. Thinking you know an artist's personal issues based on his work and a few interviews and tweets is textbook creepy-fan behaviour.

(Also I like the idea that spending literally years complaining about being ripped off for $30 or whatever is somehow not "being a big whiny baby".)

The guy robbed people and then followed it up not by apologizing or even acknowledging the theft, but by asking for more free money. People remember that sort of thing, no matter how many of his fans try to excuse it using Achewood memes.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If nothing else we have to give Cornelius further props for perfectly recalibrating Teodor's room from "crack den castaway" to "slacker chic."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

Everyone in the house is dying from a gas leak. Each character hallucinates their own happy ending.

Then how's about we go check in on Lyle's Thunderbird-fueled coma dreams instead of watching Onstad desperately try to rewrite his failed marriage via stuffed animal comix

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SacrificialGoat posted:

When Beef fights with Molly, it's because of his divorce.
When Teodor gets along well with Penny, it's because of his divorce.

Make up your loving minds.

You're seriously dense if you think both scenarios can't share the same source.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

It got old three years ago.

It couldn't have gotten old then, there weren't any comics.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phy posted:

If you want that particular chicken recipe here it is http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/aching-thighs/Content?oid=2519004

The comment section of that article proves that the best punchline is always an idiot who doesn't get the joke.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

onstad can't possibly suck as much as that other webcomic dude who took money for book orders and then literally set fire to all the books

there were a few goons going "well that's depression for you"

John Campbell was tap-dancing on the edge of serious mental illness for years so that freakout wasn't as surprising as it could have been.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

That's- that's three strips in two or three weeks. What is going on.

Probably another manic spike. It'll go dead again in a few months.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Pat and Nice Pete are also the only two adults in the cast who don't seem to hold down steady jobs. I mean, Nice Pete has Considerations, but what the hell does Pat do all day? Even his blogposts are just a jagged trail of failed vegan business ventures and frivolous lawsuits.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I've said this before, but Pat is the only member of the cast who doesn't seem to have any steady job at all (Nice Pete has a steady job, just not the kind that pays rent). He was Vlad's sandwich slave for a while, but then that fell through and all his blog posts show his every attempt at entrepreneurship blowing up in his face. He's got no discernible skills or talent whatsoever, unless horrible vegan cooking counts.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I always thought that bit where Lyle calls Ray out of the blue and says "I need a hundred dollars and can't tell you why," and Ray comes through with it, said a lot about why nobody's blown up at Ray.

Yeah, he's a pretty terrible friend, but I get the feeling a real-life guy like him would be genuinely difficult to hate. He picks up the check all the time without making it a thing, for example.

The one later arc when he goes on this big capitalist tear against Philippe seemed way out of character for him and one of many reasons why I really don't like the entire "Philippe goes home" storyline.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I always thought that was perfectly in-character because Ray is under the delusion that he is a good businessman and that he has earned what he has.

That part's in-character, but the bit where he'd take it out on Philippe bugged me.

This is the guy who hired some men to instigate a death relationship with an Internet pervert because he sent Philippe an email.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

prefect posted:

The small bear is being unreasonable because he wants to show off.

I remember when the comments section was still active one guy went into detail on each of those dishes - basically none of them even worked, they all had clashing ingredients and would have been unappetizing to anyone of any palate.

Teodor fucks up everything he touches.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

prefect posted:

Did Pat and Rod Huggins break up?

Rod doesn't stay at Pat's much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

grading essays nude posted:

Pete's dialogue is a bit weird too without any of his usual mannerisms, although i love the pause before he says "Pat."

Pete's internal discontent is expressed in that strip, and explains why Rod doesn't stay at Pat's much.

In one of his blog posts Pete complains of sneezing fits, and suspects Rod for unbalancing his humors. I like to think Pat and Rod mutually agreed that maybe their relationship would best continue away from his vicinity after that, unless they wanted to spice it up with a different kind of relationship.

What? Oh. A death relationship.