Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009

Joe Don Baker posted:

Not sure what happened, as it was working fine last night. However, this morning, the extension causes Chrome to crash whenever I attempt visit a forum.

Thanks, Yeah we have been made aware of this problem and are working on fixing it. Sorry for the inconvenience but the chrome extensions API is constantly changing. We will let you all know when this is fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Not a big deal. I know there's changes on the forum once in a while and we are using a developers version of Chrome.

The extension is awesome and has allowed me to go 100% to Chrome. Thanks guys!

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like the latest Chromium builds fixed whatever bug everybody was seeing (I didn't update until recently so I dodged it). Also looks like they revamped the extensions manager again and have a curious (but disabled) options button on each extension. Hmmmmmm.

Going to wait and see what happens here before the next release, since I smell a major refactoring in my near future.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Could you add a switch to toggle the navigator on and off?

I use a script to zoom out all pages, but this puts the page navigator in the page instead of the corner.

Click here for the full 1024x582 image.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Zom Aur posted:

Could you add a switch to toggle the navigator on and off?

I use a script to zoom out all pages, but this puts the page navigator in the page instead of the corner.

Click here for the full 1024x582 image.

Ew. Yeah, I'll add it to the todo list.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Chrome just updated to 4.0.223.16, so I tried to get this extension going. After downloading and attempting to run, a little dialog pops up that says extensions are not enable. I googled how to do this, but the results I found all refer to registry edits. Is there not a simple builtin way to enable extensions?

wmbest2
Sep 25, 2009

kevdude posted:

My Chrome just updated to 4.0.223.16, so I tried to get this extension going. After downloading and attempting to run, a little dialog pops up that says extensions are not enable. I googled how to do this, but the results I found all refer to registry edits. Is there not a simple builtin way to enable extensions?

In earlier builds you needed to add --enable-extensions to the shortcut path. Im not sure what build this ended with as I know they phased it out of the dev channel. You could try that.

E: I just checked mine and Im on the same build... not entirely sure why yours isn't working but you could still try the enable extensions switch. Or try reinstalling chrome.

wmbest2 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 3, 2009

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

kevdude posted:

4.0.223.16 is in the Beta channel and does not have extension support yet, only bookmark syncing. You need to use the Dev channel build (still at 4.0.223.11 confusingly) to use extensions.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell
You should probably put in the OP that you need to be on the dev channel to use this, for some reason the 4.0.# beta build doesn't have the extensions yet :(

The dev build is lower than the beta? I guess this means they decided to lay off extensions for a while?

fishbacon fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 4, 2009

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fish posted:

You should probably put in the OP that you need to be on the dev channel to use this, for some reason the 4.0.# beta build doesn't have the extensions yet :(

The dev build is lower than the beta? I guess this means they decided to lay off extensions for a while?

Added. Does the --enable-extensions flag work on the beta branch?

osigas
Mar 4, 2006

Then maybe you shouldn't be living here

Mr. Fish posted:

The official word was they are waiting to finalise the extensions API before putting it in the beta, and with the speed Chrome has developed so far I doubt it'll be long before that happens.

Linky: http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009

Ferg posted:

Added. Does the --enable-extensions flag work on the beta branch?

I'm pretty sure the beta branch only has bookmark sync so far.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Bug/feature request: when you click the ? under a user's avatar to filter the thread to just their posts, the next/previous page widget doesn't remember the little "&userid=12345" when going to the next/previous page, so you end up in the unfiltered thread again. Minor thing but eh.

Also, it occasionally does this:

Javid fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 6, 2009

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Using this on the latest Dev build, jumping to the latest post seems broken.

Also can you post this to the new Chrome extensions site?

Thanks for the work.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kri kri posted:

Using this on the latest Dev build, jumping to the latest post seems broken.

Also can you post this to the new Chrome extensions site?

Thanks for the work.

I'll give it a look.

I had considered submitting it to the directory but it seemed like too much of a niche extension to toss up there. I guess if there's a demand for it I can.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
edit: ^^ please do. I'm not sure how automatic updating works with chrome, but I know that extensions listed and managed from their directory can and do automatically update.

awesome. I ask about this last night and it pops back up to the top.

Great work so far, hope you can get my favorite feature, the forum jump menu item working somehow.

Thanky

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kayakyakr posted:

edit: ^^ please do. I'm not sure how automatic updating works with chrome, but I know that extensions listed and managed from their directory can and do automatically update.

The latest builds auto-update already, they just auto-update off of my Github page rather than Google's servers.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Ferg posted:

The latest builds auto-update already, they just auto-update off of my Github page rather than Google's servers.

cool, in that case, no worries :)

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
If this had the right-click navigation arrows that SALR for Firefox has, I'd probably consider switching to Chrome full time. Besides that it seems to work perfectly.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Is there an extension to let me bring up the search bar with . or / instead of just ctrl+f?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

SALR just got updated, any chance you could put some of the changes into this extension? Thanks for your work.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

kri kri posted:

SALR just got updated, any chance you could put some of the changes into this extension? Thanks for your work.

Any changes in particular? I need to get off my rear end and roll out an update one of these days.

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
Is there any way you could implement a forums menu in Chrome? That and the highlighting are my SALR must-have features and are the reason I still use Firefox for everything. I like Chrome but I can't swap browsers if I'm losing functionality :(

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

gwar3k1 posted:

Is there any way you could implement a forums menu in Chrome? That and the highlighting are my SALR must-have features and are the reason I still use Firefox for everything. I like Chrome but I can't swap browsers if I'm losing functionality :(

It could be in an Icon, so it should be pretty easy to make.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

gwar3k1 posted:

It could be like the twitter and SANzbd extensions are, click it and a menu drops down. That is probably the biggest thing keeping me from using chrome daily.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

calandryll posted:

It could be like the twitter and SANzbd extensions are, click it and a menu drops down. That is probably the biggest thing keeping me from using chrome daily.

Casao posted:

It could be in an Icon, so it should be pretty easy to make.

Yeah, my only concern is that BrowserActions aren't able to be toggled right now. Basically, it's there and you have no choice. The reason I've held off on it is because I'd rather have it implemented in such a way that a user could turn it off if they want to (and I'm that guy who would turn it off).

If there's a number of you that want it though, I'll get to work on it.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ferg posted:

Yeah, my only concern is that BrowserActions aren't able to be toggled right now. Basically, it's there and you have no choice. The reason I've held off on it is because I'd rather have it implemented in such a way that a user could turn it off if they want to (and I'm that guy who would turn it off).

If there's a number of you that want it though, I'll get to work on it.

Could you make a second addon with just this list so people who want it can install and people who don't won't? Then there's no loss of features and you get the choice.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Casao posted:

Could you make a second addon with just this list so people who want it can install and people who don't won't? Then there's no loss of features and you get the choice.

That would be nice and simple way for people who want it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ferg posted:

Any changes in particular? I need to get off my rear end and roll out an update one of these days.

They fixed thread filtering, which is what I appreciated most.

Also if you can add keyboard navigation that would rule.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 22, 2010

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
I think you can change the OP again since Chrome now supports extensions in all branches.

Great for browsing the forums I really like it, one problem I have is that it's kinda hard to see how many new posts were made in a thread you follow, maybe put that in the line with the buttons?

Javid posted:

If possible, I'd like an option to move the number of unread posts over by the buttons like so:

This is a nice hybrid between the built-in display on the forums and the current SALR'd display, I think. I personally prefer the buttons to the gray box, but hate looking over to the right for the number of new posts.

I should really read the thread shouldn't I?

fishbacon fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 26, 2010

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

I just cooked up a small "Highlight posts by friends" thing, so with some luck that'll be added soon.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I just wanted to say it's really cool seeing projects like this come together out of nothing. That is all.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

I just cooked up a small "Highlight posts by friends" thing, so with some luck that'll be added soon.

I just pulled it in. I suppose this is the kick in the rear end I needed to get some changes out. I'll try to get Mr. Fish and Javid's suggestion implemented, and wmbest2 might be dropping me a patch for custom colors on the user control panel today. If we're really lucky, I'll fix that "horizontal scrollbar over the page navigator" bug.

Edit: This is still in the pipeline, but for the jump menu that people have been asking for, how important is customization?

Also, does anybody know a forums developer I can get in touch with who can provide info on form posting? I do have a branch of the extension with a rudimentary "quick reply" dialog, I just never got around to finishing it.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 26, 2010

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon
I like to have my most visited forums at the bottom of the menu, but I don't think I'd get any use out of customizing the menu further.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just uploaded v0.4. The release includes:

- Inline post counts
- Option to turn off the custom (blue/orange) thread jump buttons
- Option to highlight friend's posts (submitted by Sebbe)
- Fix for the bug where a horizontal scrollbar might hide the page navigator
- Fixed the drop shadow for the page navigator

Currently it looks like Github is being stubborn about updating the actual CRX. I'm going to leave it be for the remainder of my workday, and if the auto-updater is still pulling up the old CRX file I'll look into a solution.

Also updated the OP.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 26, 2010

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ferg posted:

- Inline post counts

Currently it looks like Github is being stubborn about updating the actual CRX. I'm going to leave it be for the remainder of my workday, and if the auto-updater is still pulling up the old CRX file I'll look into a solution.

Also updated the OP.

Will any of these improve performance? Loading an SA page has a 1 second lag even on my desktop. Hoping that killing the custom thread jump buttons might do that, since that's where most of the problem is.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Casao posted:

Will any of these improve performance? Loading an SA page has a 1 second lag even on my desktop. Hoping that killing the custom thread jump buttons might do that, since that's where most of the problem is.

Doubt it. The speed hit comes from the communication between the extension and the content script running on the page. After the page loads the script then asks the extension for all of the user's settings. The communication back and forth is really slow. The payload doesn't appear to make much of a difference.

So far I haven't been able to find a more efficient way of doing this, so I'd be open to suggestions/patches if anybody knows of a cure.

Edit: wmbest2 is telling me the updater is now working. Looks like it's hanging up on the new custom jump button option, so if you're not seeing the blue/orange buttons by default and would like to, go toggle the option in the settings panel.

Edit 2: v0.4.1 (duly named "CM Mod") is pushed with two quick fixes. Auto updater should catch it eventually.

Ferg fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 26, 2010

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
E: Fixed itself while I typed this, ignore

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009

Ferg posted:

- Inline post counts

Also updated the OP.

Lovely! Good job too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Sebbe posted:

I just pulled your menu commits into a separate branch. Where are you getting the forum names from? I can't find that <select> element anywhere.

Overall I like the idea though. I'm going to hack on it a bit more and refactor some of the existing functionality (settings page) to fit it in.

• Locked thread