Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
After looking around and considering options, I've found these:

Forks - Elka do a piston kit for $145 USD http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=node/46

I've contacted one of the local suspension guys to ask if it's something he could install and set up, still waiting to hear his opinion on it.

Shock - Reading gixxer.com, there is a suspension guy who sells reworked versions of the 04/05 GSXR600/750 shock, which is supposed to be the only year that gixxers got a decent shock. I can get one, reworked and sprung for my weight, and shipped over here, for around $390 USD. This link goes into detail about what he does with them: http://shop.ebay.com/110448493907

Any thoughts on whether this is a reasonable plan of action for a trackday rider on a budget?

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FlyinDoc posted:

After looking around and considering options, I've found these:

Forks - Elka do a piston kit for $145 USD http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=node/46

I've contacted one of the local suspension guys to ask if it's something he could install and set up, still waiting to hear his opinion on it.

Shock - Reading gixxer.com, there is a suspension guy who sells reworked versions of the 04/05 GSXR600/750 shock, which is supposed to be the only year that gixxers got a decent shock. I can get one, reworked and sprung for my weight, and shipped over here, for around $390 USD. This link goes into detail about what he does with them: http://shop.ebay.com/110448493907

Any thoughts on whether this is a reasonable plan of action for a trackday rider on a budget?

Seems like a pretty decent compromise. Not as good as a dedicated aftermarket solution, and a lot of how good it is depends on how good the guy is at setting up the shock. A bit of a risk, without any understanding of how good he is, I'd personally just shell out for a real aftermarket shock that was already set up for my weight, and if I had to revalve/respring it, well, that's just the breaks. It's just really dependent on how good he is. It's probably fine for trackdays, and a vast improvement over the stock stuff, but if you can get a used Ohlins/Penske/whatever for 400$, it's hard to justify buying a rebuilt stock setup.

Any decent shop should be able to revalve your front without the need for a special kit for around the same price...you have a fantastic front end in that bike, probably one of the best stock, right side up forks ever made. With the correct setup inside it, it's pretty much golden. I'd revalve and respring the front as needed, and it's 50/50 as to if I'd go for that rear shock or not.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
So I'm getting ready to order some stands... At this point it's just to keep the tires off the EXTREMELY COLD ground (fuckin -17F this morning) and for maintenance on the bike, no plans for tire warmers or anything yet. PitBull stuff is highly regarded but jesus gently caress it's more than double the price of, say, the T-Rex stands.

Anyone have the T-Rex stuff or have experience with it? From what I've been reading it seems they're just fine. I have a hard time thinking PitBull stands are really worth twice the dough.The forward pull rear stand they make seems to be a smart design though, of course it's even *more* expensive! You can get a full T-Rex setup, including spools and shipping, for less than 10 bucks over what that forward pull rear stand costs ALONE. ...is it worth it?

Help me spend money, CA!

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
The T-Rex stuff does its job. If you're going to be doing tons of maintenance/trackdays where you'll constantly be taking the bike on/off the stand and will be generally abusing it, then I'd go the extra mile for Pitbull stuff. With my T-Rex I had a little problem getting the part of the stand that holds onto the spools to fit/align correctly. You won't see that kind of stuff from Pitbull. Overall though it does what its designed to do and that's all you can really ask. I can see it falling apart after a few years and/or if I get big into trackdays. The T-Rex won't collapse with your bike on it or anything; and poo poo you could buy two sets for the price of one Pitbull set so T-Rexes are just fine imo.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

needknees posted:

So I'm getting ready to order some stands... At this point it's just to keep the tires off the EXTREMELY COLD ground (fuckin -17F this morning) and for maintenance on the bike, no plans for tire warmers or anything yet. PitBull stuff is highly regarded but jesus gently caress it's more than double the price of, say, the T-Rex stands.

Anyone have the T-Rex stuff or have experience with it? From what I've been reading it seems they're just fine. I have a hard time thinking PitBull stands are really worth twice the dough.The forward pull rear stand they make seems to be a smart design though, of course it's even *more* expensive! You can get a full T-Rex setup, including spools and shipping, for less than 10 bucks over what that forward pull rear stand costs ALONE. ...is it worth it?

Help me spend money, CA!

I've used a few brands and really love my room mates pitbull stands but I just wanted something to use once and a while. I was able to get a set of stands (front and rear) off Craigslist for $75, can't remember the brand but they work fine for what I need. If your looking to save some cash and don't need the top of the line pitbulls you might want to watch Craigslist for a while.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Had my track bike delivered today.
http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=9950

I bought this 2002 GSX-R 600 for $1900 delivered to NJ from VA. Looks like I've got some fairing work to do, a brake hose to replace, and one more bolt to safety wire, but other than that I should be good to go.

Now I just have to pick up a set of leathers and a trailer... I like to do things in the wrong order.

The bike came with a 220lb RaceTech fork spring kit. Should I bother installing this, or should I try the bike out first?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What springs are in it currently, and what do you weigh?

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Z3n posted:

What springs are in it currently, and what do you weigh?

Currently has stock springs and I'm about 180-190 + gear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

laymil posted:

Currently has stock springs and I'm about 180-190 + gear.

You should be fine. You'll probably be on the stiffer side of the settings, but should be ok. The 220s are probably major overkill though. You want 200s, most likely...

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Z3n posted:

You should be fine. You'll probably be on the stiffer side of the settings, but should be ok. The 220s are probably major overkill though. You want 200s, most likely...

That was my feeling, but that's what the previous owner had. I'm just wondering if I should:

a) Install them and deal.
b) Call RaceTech and try to get 200 springs instead.
c) Leave the forks as is until I'm used to the bike.
d) Sell the kit and get somthing else.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

laymil posted:

That was my feeling, but that's what the previous owner had. I'm just wondering if I should:

a) Install them and deal.
b) Call RaceTech and try to get 200 springs instead.
c) Leave the forks as is until I'm used to the bike.
d) Sell the kit and get somthing else.

c) and b), then d)

Do not do A. They're the wrong spring stiffness for you, and it will make the bike ride super harsh and non-compliant.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
Congrats on picking up a bulletproof trackbike. I was going to recommend a stator cover slider plate, but it looks like yours has an aftermarket stator cover on it, which will be built to take a slide.

On a less positive note, gently caress anti-competitive import agreements, seriously.

Elka won't sell anything to me, because they have an agreement to do everything via a single Australian distributor, who apparently puts a 200% markup on their prices compared to what Elka charge. On top of that, I'd be paying for shipping from the other side of the country anyway.

As a further kick in the ribs, Elka Canada currently have a single slightly used 01-03 GSXR600 shock in their clearance section for $300

:bang:

I never understand why companies enter into self-defeating agreements like that, as it most likely means I'll just buy a fork kit from another company like Racetech or GP suspension who do business in a less retarded manner. They cost a little more from the beginning, but end up far cheaper after the ridiculous markup on the Elka kits.

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 4, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I wonder if there are any Canadian goons who you could paypal or something and then they'd buy and reship teh shock for you. Or if Elka canada will ship to the US, I'll reship it for you.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
That would be awesome.

I'm fairly sure they do ship to the US, as there's a North American ordering phone number on their site, and they list all prices in USD.

Their contact form is at http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=contact

Just ask them what it would cost to get that clearance GSXR shock (second page on the pdf at http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=clearout) set up (for a 150lb rider doing trackdays on a 2002 GSXR 600) and shipped to you.

Before you go through with anything I can paypal you that cost, plus whatever it will cost you to reship it, plus whatever it will cost you for a few beers.

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 5, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FlyinDoc posted:

That would be awesome.

I'm fairly sure they do ship to the US, as there's a North American ordering phone number on their site, and they list all prices in USD.

Their contact form is at http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=contact

Just ask them what it would cost to get that clearance GSXR shock (second page on the pdf at http://www.elkasuspension.com/?q=clearout) set up (for a 150lb rider doing trackdays on a 2002 GSXR 600) and shipped to you.

Before you go through with anything I can paypal you that cost, plus whatever it will cost you to reship it, plus whatever it will cost you for a few beers.

All right, I'll give them a call tomorrow, as I'd imagine they're probably closed. E-mail/PM/IM me (info's in my profile) with your contact info :)

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
I have no upgrades on my account, so can't do PMs, and I'm getting an error message saying that an administrator has disabled the email function.

If you email me at madscientist2003 (at) "that free microsoft high-temperature email provider"(.com) then I can send you my address and such.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FlyinDoc posted:

I have no upgrades on my account, so can't do PMs, and I'm getting an error message saying that an administrator has disabled the email function.

If you email me at madscientist2003 (at) "that free microsoft high-temperature email provider"(.com) then I can send you my address and such.

Got it. I sent you an e-mail.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
If anyone is in the Mid Central region you better loving consider this trackday :colbert:

http://www.sportbiketracktime.biz/TrackDetails.aspx?id=14

Two days at Autobahn north (Joliet, IL) AND a set of Pilot Powers for $409? Sign me the gently caress up! (actually I'm calling later today to GET signed up... this will probably fill up soon so you should too!)

Chicago area goon meet?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

needknees posted:

If anyone is in the Mid Central region you better loving consider this trackday :colbert:

http://www.sportbiketracktime.biz/TrackDetails.aspx?id=14

Two days at Autobahn north (Joliet, IL) AND a set of Pilot Powers for $409? Sign me the gently caress up! (actually I'm calling later today to GET signed up... this will probably fill up soon so you should too!)

Chicago area goon meet?

Oh gently caress me, how can I turn that down?

Think I'll look too silly turning up on a Wee-strom?

*edit* dammit none of those tires would fit on a Wee. Wonder if I could e-bay 'em to offset some cost.

*Second edit* Wow I'm thick, you don't have to do the tires deal. Sweeeeet. And it says textile suits are acceptable for novices. Wonder if my flip-face Nolan helmet would cause complaints though. And I'll have to get real boots.

Tsaven Nava fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 19, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Oh gently caress me, how can I turn that down?

Think I'll look too silly turning up on a Wee-strom?

*edit* dammit none of those tires would fit on a Wee. Wonder if I could e-bay 'em to offset some cost.

Yes, you'd look silly, and you will also probably pass some guys on supersports.

Just buy the 2 days for 220$.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Yes, you'd look silly, and you will also probably pass some guys on supersports.

Just buy the 2 days for 220$.

Given I'll be wearing my high-viz Olympia suit, I'll look silly anyway. You think a novice can handle two track days in a row? Don't think I'd be too dead after the first one?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Given I'll be wearing my high-viz Olympia suit, I'll look silly anyway. You think a novice can handle two track days in a row? Don't think I'd be too dead after the first one?

Shouldn't be a problem, just remember to pace yourself. If you're making stupid mistakes, if you're losing concentration, if you're feeling tired, TAKE A SESSION OFF.

I cannot emphasis enough that just because you have a limited number of sessions, doesn't mean you must ride them all. Stay hydrated, make sure you eat, and don't be afraid to skip a session. It's amazing what that additional hour of break will do for you.

Also, if you're tired and want to go out for your last session, you can do so, but don't focus on going fast, just go out and roll around the track. Some of my favorite sessions have been at the end of the day just cruising at 50-70% pace, rolling around the track and enjoying the scenery. I've seen way too many people end a day trying to drop their times another second or 2, and coming back in the crash truck as a result.

Take it slow, get up front and listen carefully at the riders meeting, and have a good time. The 2nd day back to back on the track is absolutely amazing. I once had 5 days of back to back tracktime, and it was ungodly how much I improved and how comfortable I was at the end of it.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Absolutely. I think you'll feel much more comfortable the second day, being more familiar with the track, procedures, pace, etc.

STT (and most trackday providers) do require a full-face helmet and will not allow flip-ups, though. The nylon suit should be fine as long as it has a full-circumference zipper (if it does not, and you bring it up to them, they will probably not allow it on track, but I've seen a few people ninja just back zippers at trackdays).

STT's novice instruction is quite involved and comprehensive for just a trackday. Lots of hand-holding and structure should you want it.

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 19, 2010

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

lokigoesrawr posted:

Absolutely. I think you'll feel much more comfortable the second day, being more familiar with the track, procedures, pace, etc.

STT (and most trackday providers) do require a full-face helmet and will not allow flip-ups, though. The nylon suit should be fine as long as it has a full-circumference zipper (if it does not, and you bring it up to them, they will probably not allow it on track, but I've seen a few people ninja just back zippers at trackdays).

STT's novice instruction is quite involved and comprehensive for just a trackday. Lots of hand-holding and structure should you want it.

Well I've got a cheap-rear end HJC that I could use if I have to. I made the mistake of trying on a $580 Arai Supermotard helmet at the store . . . wants it, wants it SO BIG.

You know what their boot requirements are? Currently I'm riding in 12" Matterhorn gently caress-off work boots.

My Olympia high-viz suit is a onesie, so that shouldn't be a problem. I think I'll want an actual CE back protector though to replace the foam pad that it came with.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Well, I'm in. Signed up for both days and went with the tire package deal :parrot:

Is it April yet?

Edit: I'll be riding in Novice and will have video, so we'll see Tsaven wringing his Wee out in a neon yellow suit :v:

needknees fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 19, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tsaven Nava posted:

Well I've got a cheap-rear end HJC that I could use if I have to. I made the mistake of trying on a $580 Arai Supermotard helmet at the store . . . wants it, wants it SO BIG.

You know what their boot requirements are? Currently I'm riding in 12" Matterhorn gently caress-off work boots.

My Olympia high-viz suit is a onesie, so that shouldn't be a problem. I think I'll want an actual CE back protector though to replace the foam pad that it came with.

http://www.sportbiketracktime.com/policies.html#riderequipment

Read that, it'll cover everything. Get everything prepped well in advance, nothing sucks more than checking something only to discover that you need to replace a bolt or there's some problem that you have to address that night. I like to have my trackbike prepped at least a week in advance. I should have everything done and the bike should sit for that week in case I remember something or discover something's gone wrong.

Edit:

quote:

YOU MUST RIDE A MOTORCYCLE APPROPRIATE FOR HIGH PERFORMANCE TRACK RIDING. SEVERELY UNDERPOWERED MOTORCYCLES, OR THOSE NOT SUITED TO HIGH SPEEDS OR LEAN ANGLES WILL NOT BE ALLOWED ON THE TRACK, if you have a question regarding your bike, contact us.

Contact them just in case. You should be fine but you never know.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 19, 2010

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

lokigoesrawr posted:

Since you have done both would you say STT or NESBA has more novice/beginner instruction? Im jumping into NESBA this season as my first group because co-workers will be there but if STT gives more instruction I could always do my first couple of days with them.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

Tsaven Nava posted:

STT's site (http://www.sportbiketracktime.biz/) is being lovely right now, but you should be able to find bike and gear requirements on their site. Might just be most anything that comes up to the shins.

Back protectors aren't required in novice class, but they certainly give me a huge sense of security. Spinal injuries scare me more than death. Expensive, though -- everything I've seen Cycle Gear carry (A-stars, Dainese) is $70-200.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

lokigoesrawr posted:

STT's site (http://www.sportbiketracktime.biz/) is being lovely right now, but you should be able to find bike and gear requirements on their site. Might just be most anything that comes up to the shins.

Back protectors aren't required in novice class, but they certainly give me a huge sense of security. Spinal injuries scare me more than death. Expensive, though -- everything I've seen Cycle Gear carry (A-stars, Dainese) is $70-200.

A back protector is definitely a good investment for gear. However, they're not going to protect you from a really bad hit. I like the helimot stuff because it's got both a plastic inner core, covered in impact foam on both sides. Most back protectors only have one or the other. It's a little bulky, like most of his gear, but it's very well fitted, vents excellently, and offers a lot of sizes. Plus you look like a blue turtle :3:

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

schreibs posted:

Since you have done both would you say STT or NESBA has more novice/beginner instruction? Im jumping into NESBA this season as my first group because co-workers will be there but if STT gives more instruction I could always do my first couple of days with them.

In my limited experience, STT definitely has more novice instruction, and more structured instruction. If all regions follow the same format/curriculum, it goes something like this:

Classroom session after rider's meeting, divide group into 4-6 subgroups, each assigned to an instructor according to self-reported pace. Classroom after each run session to cover Q&A and a different topic, e.g. line, throttle control, body position. You're really crunched for time, because it's 20 minutes run session, 20 minutes classroom, and then 10 minutes break before first call. They usually let you do your own thing if you want in the afternoon, but it's somewhat restrictive in the mornings. If you do a few days with them, it gets a little repetitive. This is the format I would have preferred for my first trackday.

NESBA just uses control riders mixed in with traffic. Occasionally a CR will get in front of you to show you the line. You can get critique if you ask for it, but they generally give you much more freedom. Kind of a mixed bag.

I believe STT is more liberal with class selection between Novice/Intermediate, whereas NESBA seems to require a CR to critique your riding and certify you out of Beginner.

NESBA certainly has more restrictive passing rules for Beginner group (no passing whatsoever if the bike in front is not completely straight up), at least on paper. Many don't strictly abide by it and still make safe passes, so it kinda messes with expectations.

edit:
http://www.sttforum.com/sttforum/viewtopic.php?t=6748
http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=8521

Consensus seems to be that I group in STT is more unpredictable, and that B group in NESBA is crowded in terms of skill levels. I can see how the former assessment would be true, and agree with the latter.

Also, doing a special 2-group format at Jennings with STT where safe passing was allowed everywhere in both groups was a huge eye-opener. My buddy, Rogue Engineer, had a blast on his first trackday in said 2-group format on a Ninja 250. I would've been scared shitless with the frequent close passes but he's a heads-first type of guy with considerable intuition.

The next week he was constantly bitching about the passing rules (and the whole 25hp he had) at Road Atlanta with NESBA and eventually just started passing in turns whenever it was safe and people were crawling. There was this one instance that deserves a mention: passes a reallllly slow guy on a supersport at T6 on the outside with a 10ft+ buffer. My friend is re-passed on the back straight after T7, but catches up to the slow guy on the downhill approach to T10A, outbrakes him into T10A (upon video review, with quite a lengthy margin before the turn-in, both bikes straight up and down), and goes about his business. After the run session, he was all giddy about getting compliments from CRs and generally bragging about hauling rear end. He was bragging about outbraking a guy as two guys walk up to our tent and ask if one of us was riding the green ninja. Turns out he's the really slow guy my friend passed -- he gets all pissy about it, Rogue Engineer apologizes, they shake hands, and as he walks away, the guy threatens to kill my friend if it happens again. It takes a moment to process, my buddy looks at me with a 'did that just happen' face and we try not to start cracking up too obviously. After watching the footage, it was hilarious how big of a douchebag the guy was being.

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 20, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Well, I'm now pretty much ready to go for the season. That... hurt :smithicide:

Ordered a back and chest protector, Woodcraft frame sliders, Pitbull front and rear stands and spools. Pretty much all I have left is a hitch for the car, and picking up the small trailer I already have lined up. Anything else I really need? I'm thinking about getting a little awning to put up for shade but fortunately those are pretty cheap.

Oh. And paying for more track time. And more tires.

Jesus gently caress this hobby is expensive :(

but oh so fun

Is it April yet?

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

Ordered a back and chest protector, Woodcraft frame sliders, Pitbull front and rear stands and spools. Pretty much all I have left is a hitch for the car, and picking up the small trailer I already have lined up. Anything else I really need? I'm thinking about getting a little awning to put up for shade but fortunately those are pretty cheap.

I got a cheap $35 canopy for one of my track days, and after struggling with it constantly, ended up trashing it out of frustration in the evening. It was a rainy and slightly windy day, and after every run session we came back to a completely collapsed camp.

Spent the ~90 for the EZ-Up/Firstup canopy with the folding frame that everyone seems to use. Been happy with that one.

Bringing random spares like levers seems to be helpful. Make sure to include a hammer, Gorilla tape (so much better than regular duct tape), and zip-ties in your tool box.

I can't think of much else than my upcoming trackdays in 2 and 4 weeks. After obsessively watching youtube videos, I just bought a month subscription to iRacing to learn Barber Motorsports Park. It seems like half the turns are completely blind. :tinfoil:

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 16, 2010

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:
Track days are awesome, even the bad ones.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

needknees posted:

Anything else I really need? I'm thinking about getting a little awning to put up for shade but fortunately those are pretty cheap.

You know, I think I have a few things like this, possibly something big enough that we could comfortably get a few bikes + stuff under. You just wanna pit together and pool resources? I'll probably be tent camping it there overnight if it's allowed.

Any other goons coming to the STT even Apr 24-25 in Joliet, IL? Looks like they've still got slots in all categories, only $110 per day!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Tsaven Nava posted:

You know, I think I have a few things like this, possibly something big enough that we could comfortably get a few bikes + stuff under. You just wanna pit together and pool resources? I'll probably be tent camping it there overnight if it's allowed.

Any other goons coming to the STT even Apr 24-25 in Joliet, IL? Looks like they've still got slots in all categories, only $110 per day!

Sounds good to me. I know I have at least one person headed over with me and a decent chance of another. Pretty sure Autobahn allows camping, although we might wuss out and get a room somewhere. I'm not sure on that front.

lokiegoesrawr posted:

I got a cheap $35 canopy for one of my track days, and after struggling with it constantly, ended up trashing it out of frustration in the evening. It was a rainy and slightly windy day, and after every run session we came back to a completely collapsed camp.

Spent the ~90 for the EZ-Up/Firstup canopy with the folding frame that everyone seems to use. Been happy with that one.

Bringing random spares like levers seems to be helpful. Make sure to include a hammer, Gorilla tape (so much better than regular duct tape), and zip-ties in your tool box.

I can't think of much else than my upcoming trackdays in 2 and 4 weeks. After obsessively watching youtube videos, I just bought a month subscription to iRacing to learn Barber Motorsports Park. It seems like half the turns are completely blind.

Thanks for the tips :)

What track other than Barber are you hitting? If I get a REALLY wild hair up my rear end I might consider a weekend at Barber sometime this year. I'd love to ride that track as well as the museum. It's *only* a tad over 900 miles. That's not too bad, right?

In other related news I called up Ducati of Omaha, who runs the vast majority of trackdays at Mid America Motorplex just south of Council Bluffs, IA to get a little info. Turns out they have a neat little deal that I will very likely be taking advantage of... "MotoMondays" :). Track opens up at noon, riding starts at 2:15 and runs till 7pm in an open format all for 125 bucks. I definitely want to get a few (and more is better...) days under my belt before doing something like this, but drat. That track is less than 2hrs from my office. Prep and load everything up on the weekend, get to work a bit early and take a half day to go flog a bike on track? YES PLEASE.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.

needknees posted:

What track other than Barber are you hitting? If I get a REALLY wild hair up my rear end I might consider a weekend at Barber sometime this year. I'd love to ride that track as well as the museum. It's *only* a tad over 900 miles. That's not too bad, right?

Haha, it would be really cool to meet you. I considered tracking up to Autobahn in April, but there's STT @ Carolina Motorsports Park and NESBA @ Barber that same weekend. The shorter drive is one thing, but I'm really looking forward to riding on tracks I've rode before.

My tentative schedule looks like this (**confirmed; *maybe; others just dates as of now)--
**Feb 27-28 (Sat-Sun): NESBA @ Barber (Birmingham, AL)
**Mar 13-14 (Sat-Sun): STT @ Barber

*Mar 22 (Mon): Cornerspeed school @ VIR-N (Alton, VA)
Mar 27-29 (Sat-Mon): Jennings in-house (Jennings, FL)
Mar 27-28 (Sat-Sun): Cornerspin dirt school (Spencer, NC)

**Apr 2-4 (Fri-Sun): NESBA @ Road Atlanta
Apr 9 (Fri): Cornerspeed school @ CMP (Kershaw, SC)
*Apr 10-12 (Sat-Mon): Jennings in-house
*Apr 24-25 (Sat-Sun): NESBA @ Barber -or- STT @ CMP

May 7-8 (Fri-Sat): STT @ Barber
May 14 (Fri): NESBA SED-B @ VIR-N
May 15 (Sat): NESBA SED-I @ VIR-S
May 28-30 (Fri-Sun): NESBA @ Barber

I might be out of the country by May so I'm trying to get in as much track time as possible before then.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Anyone going to Jennings? I want to come along and drink beer watch.

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
I'd definitely add a weekend at Jennings if I had a buddy to endure the 9-hour drive with. I almost went last weekend, but pussied out.

I just learned about and ordered the TOTW2 DVD. I've been looking for a riding audiobook for the long drives, but this looks like it'd be much more enjoyable (as long as I don't flip my van or something). If anyone's interested, I might put it up on the gear exchange thread after I'm done with it.

OTT interview with Keith Code and the producer here (5*10min): http://www.onthethrottle.com/content/category/11/14/65/

FINALLY got the Rockwall race bodywork I ordered in loving November. Took numerous emails and phone calls for them to get on the ball. Looks like a lot more work than I imagined. Oh, and they forgot the fasteners. Really hope I can prep it in time for next week.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

needknees posted:

Sounds good to me. I know I have at least one person headed over with me and a decent chance of another. Pretty sure Autobahn allows camping, although we might wuss out and get a room somewhere.

I've got a 10x10 canvas tent/booth thing with sides. Very sturdy, and will give some protection from any wind or possibly lovely weather.

My girlfriend might come down to watch/flirt with any cute biker girls for half a day or something as well, but I won't know on that until the week before. She'll have her license by then, but I'm sure will be far, far from comfortable enough on a bike to start whipping around a track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lokigoesrawr
Nov 18, 2004

roar.
I'm looking over Barber videos and having a little trouble figuring what I'm supposed to be doing at a few points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecfWFj-jUh4

T1-T2, around 0:12-
Why did the bike shake?
So you're rolling on after T1, and then you flip it over for T2-3, but I can't figure out where he's braking. I'll probably straighten up for that, but is he braking while still leaned left?

T13-T14-T14a, starting 1:24-
You're leaned over the whole time and T14 is decreasing radius. Should there be any braking in T14, prepping for T14a entry, or is it purely roll-off?

All this downshifting while leaned over business is slightly unnerving. Also, the 'once the throttle is cracked open, it is rolled on evenly, smoothly, and constantly throughout the remainder of the turn' rule is confusing when you start connecting some of these chicanes.

Any advice for the newbie?

lokigoesrawr fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 25, 2010

• Locked thread