Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Here's why you should be reading this...
The Walking Dead is a monthly book published by Image, written by Robert Kirkman and drawn mostly by Charlie Adlard (Tony Moore was the original artist). It has a 100+ issues.

The premise is that a Kentucky police officer wakes up in the hospital to find himself in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. From there, the book hits a lot of familiar notes often found in zombie fiction. There is little focus on the macro. Society has collapsed, but we don't get the specifics of how that went down. Instead we focus on a relatively small group of survivors and slowly learn—as in most zombie fiction—that the real threat is man's inhumanity to man.

What makes this book special is its format more than anything else. Being a comic book with no end in sight, Kirkman is able to really show the characters grow, form a real group, and how they survive. It's really what zombie fans have always asked for.

More than that though, it's a pretty well done book. Similar to Kirkman's other major work at Image, Invincible, the characters start off relatively bland, but develop as the book goes on. The pacing is a tad slow at the start, but it reads nicely in trades, and picks up as it goes on.

If you're a zombie fan then I assure you that you'd probably like this book to a point. It's definitely best to start from the beginning. The book is collected in different formats that you can browse on amazon. Earlier this year, a compendium collecting the first forty-eight issues was released. It might be the best bang for your buck.

As a warning, there is definitely a point in which a lot of people become worn out by the book. I wish there was a good point to stop reading, but there really isn't a moment that could really work as an ending. Beyond that, Kirkman shows no sign of ending it. I still think most of the comic is worth reading, but prepare for disappointment at some point.

If you haven't then read the book before reading the rest of the thread because there are going to be spoilers...

Where We Left Off
The prison, but a gated community and then another gated community. The governor, but better. A bunch of people died, but not Rick and Carl. Time jump.

The Walking Dead TV Series
AMC airs the Walking Dead TV series. I don't like it, but it's very popular. Really, I feel like it just accentuates quirks of Kirkman's writing instead of trying to iron them out.

Here is the thread to talk about if you read the comic. Here is the thread if you haven't.

There is also a video game
It's being published by Telltale. It's a point-and-click adventure game with a good deal of dialogue choices that shape the story of the game.

It's actually very good. So far, it aims less for the realism of the comics and feels a bit more pulpy. That's fine though. The characters are pretty great including a child character that is not horribly annoying. They ending of the last episode proved that they're also willing to be as horrific as the comic.

For folks bored with the comic, it's a good choice. It starts with a mostly new cast of characters from day-one of the outbreak.

Here is the thread to discuss that.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's a recent interview Kirkman did talking about the AMC show.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/09/29/exclusive-the-walking-dead-creator-explains-how-frank-darabont-can-bring-zombie-drama-to-amc/

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Don't you understand?

THIS is the Walking Dead thread! :aaa:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You should have just called it The Walking Thread.

McDonkey
Nov 23, 2007
I loving hate Comics and I consider zombie stories to be stuff for retarded teenagers, but the Walking Dead is simply one of the best thing I've ever read in my life. Read it.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

I think it's certain that Eugene is a crazy person with delusions of ending the plague

Timeless Appeal posted:

And just to make sure this thread doesn't fall too quickly, here's a topic of discussion: Some fans have criticized Kirkman's treatment of women. For example, Michonne's rape and eventual revenge was compared to exploitation films of the 70s. Lori's death has been called an example of women-in-refrigerators syndrome in that the death does little but add to Rick's character. Thoughts?
:can:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
On Invincible Eve was beaten to death to only be brought back in the next issue, if that matters.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

McDonkey posted:

I loving hate Comics and I consider zombie stories to be stuff for retarded teenagers, but the Walking Dead is simply one of the best thing I've ever read in my life. Read it.

It's such a blue ball creating comic as a monthly read, but if you pick it up in trade form, Oh man, That's when it's awesome.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

I kinda lost track of TWD after the end of the Prison stuff (the last thing I remember is them finding Morgan with his zombie son, which is super depressing when you consider that they were actually doing okay in that Christmas special and it couldn't have been long after that it all went downhill), but I like that this thread is here; I might actually start picking this up again (at least in trade).

I'm really glad that the show may actually happen, and on AMC to boot. I've had debates with a friend over whether or not it would be easily-translated into a movie or not, and a (mini?)series on TV would be leagues above any sort of big-screen rendition.

Also, Dr. McMullet is definitely crazy; there's no way Kirkman would have his survivors who are completely disconnected from the large-scale zombie holocaust stumble upon someone that important. Also, Abraham, cool as he is, is playing the Tyreese "2nd leader" position (which worked out so well for him), so his death chances should at least be moderate to high, despite whatever Kirkman says.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Kirkman had Charlie kill that other kid. Is that "children in refrigerators" syndrome? NO I'M SICK OF EVERY TIME A WOMAN SUFFERS MISFORTUNE IN COMIC BOOKS IT BEING LABELED AS MISOGYNY. Comic book fans suffer from severe tunnel vision and start to look for this stuff and it's really annoying. The last issue killed off a major male character, and his lover is going to be dealing with that in upcoming issues. OH NO MEN IN FRIDGES. :rolleyes: Basic principles of storytelling are somehow taboo in comics now. Ridiculous.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
You know what, I'm just withdrawing that comment from the OP in order to not derail the thread.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Another vote for Walking Thread please!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Quantify! posted:

Kirkman had Charlie kill that other kid. Is that "children in refrigerators" syndrome? NO I'M SICK OF EVERY TIME A WOMAN SUFFERS MISFORTUNE IN COMIC BOOKS IT BEING LABELED AS MISOGYNY. Comic book fans suffer from severe tunnel vision and start to look for this stuff and it's really annoying. The last issue killed off a major male character, and his lover is going to be dealing with that in upcoming issues. OH NO MEN IN FRIDGES. :rolleyes: Basic principles of storytelling are somehow taboo in comics now. Ridiculous.

The treatment of children and men in comics is in no way similar to the treatment of females. If you really think it's as simple as that then you're missing the point entirely.

That said, the term, "Women in Refrigators" is so misused by now it's practically a joke.

havok9
Aug 16, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

The treatment of children and men in comics is in no way similar to the treatment of females. If you really think it's as simple as that then you're missing the point entirely.

That said, the term, "Women in Refrigators" is so misused by now it's practically a joke.

Yes but in terms of this particular comic book I don't think it applies at all. It's not like there aren't plenty of male characters that have also died just to "add to" another character. It's a part of the book, that no one is safe at any time.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Walking Dead has a strange place in my heart. I get each trade as soon as it comes out, read it immediately, and then put it on the shelf knowing I'll never pick it up for some lite reading, and never pick it up again. It's really like rubbernecking at an accident; I need to know how well or badly the characters are doing. It is, no question, my most anticipated and least re-read comic.

Jack Skeleton posted:

It's such a blue ball creating comic as a monthly read, but if you pick it up in trade form, Oh man, That's when it's awesome.
Agreeing with this. I got a bunch of trades at once, and when one trade ended with Evil McOne-Eye driving a tank into the prison, I knew I would have chewed my arm off if I didn't have the next book right there. Never going to follow the book in monthlies.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

havok9 posted:

Yes but in terms of this particular comic book I don't think it applies at all. It's not like there aren't plenty of male characters that have also died just to "add to" another character. It's a part of the book, that no one is safe at any time.

I think the main reason people complain about Walking Dead is the rape angle.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dan Didio posted:

I think the main reason people complain about Walking Dead is the rape angle.

Don't read Crossed.

Got Vol 9 of Walking Dead after not reading it for a while, and was actually quite bored. Does vol 10 pick up?

Also voting for the Walking Thread. Or "We are the Walking Thread!"

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

Don't read Crossed.

I've read it. It was poo poo, but not because of rape.

arthur138
May 26, 2003
Anyone know the status of the Compendium repressing? It was solicited for October 7, but nada so far..

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

That's a great interview, and it's really nice to hear how optimistic he is about this. It sounds like Darabont is exactly the right man for the job.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Does anyone think that the fat guy that's supposed to be a scientist or whatever just has no more idea of what's going on than anyone else in the book? I just get the impression that he's either pretending as a defense mechanism ("if they think I'm smart they'll think I'm useful and not kill me") or just gone that little bit crazy.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I think most people are thinking he's crazy/lieing until proven otherwise.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dan Didio posted:

I've read it. It was poo poo, but not because of rape.

It was poo poo because of everything.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Dacap posted:

I think most people are thinking he's crazy/lieing until proven otherwise.

Yeah, but aren't the characters going to Washington because of his crazy lies?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I meant most readers.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
They're also going to Washington out of the hope that it's actually been well fortified and protected from the zombies. I think Abraham allegedly had contact with military buddies that suggested this.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I believe Mulletguy will die before reaching washington, the question of whether he knows or not isn't important.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
There's no reason to trust Dr. Mullet, but I'm hoping there's some change at DC. Over the past 5 years, it's getting a bit tough to keep "life has become poo poo" fresh.

It was interesting seeing how Rick + Co interacted with Abe + Co, and I'd be really interested in seeing them interact with people who haven't really been in the poo poo. Sort of a 'back from Iraq' scenario.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
I think Abe is going to end Doc Mullet after Doc turns out to be a fraud. I hope Carl and Rick are going to be able ride out their impromptu confessions. That was some heavy stuff for Rick to drop on Carl (if Carl understands it) but more so what Carl told Rick... I'd hate for those two to end up on the wrong side of Andrea's rifle.

I'm really jazzed that the show isn't going to be a recap of the comic.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
There was one thing about that confession that really rubbed me the wrong way. The fact that someone snuck up on Rick and he didn't even turn around to see if it might've been a zombie.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Affi posted:

There was one thing about that confession that really rubbed me the wrong way. The fact that someone snuck up on Rick and he didn't even turn around to see if it might've been a zombie.

I hate that literary technique or device or whatever it would be called. "I just told someone to go away, and now that I hear someone walking up on me, it must be the same person I JUST told to go away, so I'm going to say something very embarrassing without looking to confirm who it is I'm talking to WHOOPS! It was someone I didn't want to tell this embarrassing information to!" It's especially irritating when the people are in a dangerous situation where bad things can be creeping up on them.

I mean, I'm glad Rick and his son have come clean and no longer have those secrets between them (though we have yet to see the fall out of the confessions), but there must have been a better way to do that.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Affi posted:

I really really thought Rick was about to get eaten

BOOMAN
Dec 4, 2007

Now I am leaving for no rason
I just started to read this, its incredible. went straight on to amazon and bought the compendium issues 1-48 (over 1000 pages that will keep me going for a while!

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

BOOMAN posted:

I just started to read this, its incredible. went straight on to amazon and bought the compendium issues 1-48 (over 1000 pages that will keep me going for a while!

You'll be done with it in one night. Get a box of tissues - you'll use them either way.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Iggles posted:

I really really thought Rick was about to get eaten

After that *crack* or whatever noise they used I was 99 percent sure Rick was getting eaten. I actually paused and thought "gently caress there goes Rick".

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

What's a good jumping-on point until I can afford to pick up all the TPBs?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

What's a good jumping-on point until I can afford to pick up all the TPBs?

Just start at the beginning.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just start at the beginning.

Agreeing with this. I can't really think of a good jumping in point. Just keep waiting until you can get the trades it really is worth it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
A local comics shop moved recently and dumped a lot of their stock, I picked up the first four TPBs for a dollar each. Anything I should know that isn't in the character guide in the first post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Walking Dead is a mixed bag to me. At first, I liked it. Then i realized it really seemed to tunnel vision in on Rick, Glenn and Michonne. Now it's Rick, Carl and Abe. I liked the side characters (like those conversations between Hershel and Axel in the prison), but it's not that suspenseful when you can pretty much figure who's zombie bait and who's not.

Also, no matter how many times Rick hears someone's depressing backstory, he always has this look of abject horror on his face. it's ridiculous. You think after the nth 'zombies ate my daughters!' story, he'd get desensitized to it.

• Locked thread