Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

OldMemes posted:

This is the greatest comic panel in the entire comic.

Going to be a drat shame if I don't get to hear Jeffrey Dean Morgan say this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Going to be a drat shame if I don't get to hear Jeffrey Dean Morgan say this.

There's so many great Negan lines that I hope they use, even with the network censorship limits. Next season, I really hope they adapt the issue where Carl visits the Saviour's base, not only because its a great issue, but so they can do Negan's 'you won't believe what I did to your son!' :smug: as a cliffhanger, only to have him pull the 'Look, I did nothing to your son :haw: as the start of the next episode.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I'm wondering if the Miltia will have to decide if they're willing to use muck infected blades on the Whisperers. It'd give them an advantage, but I think one hit blood poisoning would be something Rick would see as unfair an immoral.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The Whisperers are dangerous because they could surround themselves with thousands of real Walkers, trying to attack them with poisoned swords seems a bit useless.

Then again, this is a comic where a pet tiger was brought to several gun fights.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

OldMemes posted:

There's so many great Negan lines that I hope they use, even with the network censorship limits. Next season, I really hope they adapt the issue where Carl visits the Saviour's base, not only because its a great issue, but so they can do Negan's 'you won't believe what I did to your son!' :smug: as a cliffhanger, only to have him pull the 'Look, I did nothing to your son :haw: as the start of the next episode.

Well they've already said they've filmed several of his scenes twice. Once with safe for TV language and once with the Negan potty mouth we all know and love. You'll of course need to purchase the Blu ray when it comes out to see that other version. Which is a pretty cool incentive to do so. I would assume the Netflix version will be the safe for TV version.

G-Whizard fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 2, 2016

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

How many fucks per season does AMC give? I think BCS got two last season.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

The Ninth Layer posted:

How many fucks per season does AMC give? I think BCS got two last season.

For some reason Walking Dead never uses theirs. They should just do it like Mr. Robot does and use it often but just blur it out or whatever. It's seriously unrealistic that characters never say gently caress.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I'm pretty sure the censors have a ratio for how many bleeped fucks ad up to a single un-bleeped gently caress, like it makes no sense that shows don't just go bleep crazy otherwise.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

New issue is out. Negan gonna Negan and everyone here called it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

god I love Negan

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Holy facefuckin' gently caress, Negan.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Total Negan issue this month. Issue delivers the goods.

Negan is my new favorite character.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Risky posted:

Total Negan issue this month. Issue delivers the goods.

Negan is my new favorite character.

What do you mean new? He's been my favorite since issue 100.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
That was a great issue. I'm pretty sure I'd be one hundred percent fine with another Prison like culling and the next hundred issues are Negan and Carl roaming the land.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
For some reason I've assigned Bobby Hill's voice to Carl in my head while reading the last few issues.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Bonzo posted:

For some reason I've assigned Bobby Hill's voice to Carl in my head while reading the last few issues.
Well now I can't stop imagining Hank Hill as Rick

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm actually enjoying "ethical" Negan now.

He's convinced that he's a good guy (and sometimes he actually is) but he's still the monstrous rear end in a top hat we first met. He's like a good Twilight Zone villain when he's at his best - he'll steal your things, but only after you've agreed (under duress) to let him. There's a lot of room to explore agency and free will there, but I don't think Kirkman's quite up to the job yet.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I finally just started reading the trades maybe a week ago or so. Currently starting Volume 14 and drat, I wish the AMC show was as good as these books.

[edit] And now I'm all caught up. Negan is the best.

teagone fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 7, 2016

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This Negan guy is pretty loving great.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

With the Saviors leadership in limbo, I wonder if Negan is going to take back what is rightfully his. Coalition forces comprised of Alexandrians and Saviors uniting against the Whisperers would be rad.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

When Negan was trying to excuse himself for taking Dwight's wife and portray his actions as doing a favor why wasn't the fact that Negan also probably joyfully ironed half of Dwights face off brought up? People have to stay civil despite c*ucking all the time but being civil with a dude who tortured and facially mutilated you seems insane? Also when Negan becomes celebrated war hero, leader and asset to the allied forces is Maggie going to be all cool with it?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

teagone posted:

I finally just started reading the trades maybe a week ago or so. Currently starting Volume 14 and drat, I wish the AMC show was as good as these books.

[edit] And now I'm all caught up. Negan is the best.

Eh, both Kirkman and the show seem to have the same issue of 'Hello, I'm a generally unused character, I'd like to be important now. Whoops, I died!'

Non-spoiler examples (since they came out long enough ago) from the comics being Allen and Billy in the prison arc. More recent arcs, (spoilering just in case people aren't caught up on All Out War, or the current plot) Nicholas, Eric, Rosita, and most recently Gabriel. Seriously, 'I want to learn how to fight' *Procedes to panic, fall off guard tower, get stabbed and eaten*

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

Eh, both Kirkman and the show seem to have the same issue of 'Hello, I'm a generally unused character, I'd like to be important now. Whoops, I died!'

It's a little frustrating in that it's such an easy thing to fix.

Like, just write the character development stuff for your characters anyway regardless of whether they're dying soon or not. Then, if and when the time comes for a character to die, the legwork is done, and the dramatic death scene is already earned. No need to shoehorn last-minute character development in now!

I mean, it sounds so obvious I don't understand why he doesn't; he's proven he can do character development - because he does it every time someone is about to die!

Kirkman, why you no do the simple thing I just described, that people have been saying you should do for years and makes perfect sense and would improve your stories immensely? Why?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Cactus posted:

It's a little frustrating in that it's such an easy thing to fix.

Like, just write the character development stuff for your characters anyway regardless of whether they're dying soon or not. Then, if and when the time comes for a character to die, the legwork is done, and the dramatic death scene is already earned. No need to shoehorn last-minute character development in now!

I mean, it sounds so obvious I don't understand why he doesn't; he's proven he can do character development - because he does it every time someone is about to die!

Kirkman, why you no do the simple thing I just described, that people have been saying you should do for years and makes perfect sense and would improve your stories immensely? Why?

In both the comic and the TV show, one way it was done pretty well was with the character of Jim. It's early on enough that even though he doesn't say much, you know the guy is damaged for some reason. Sure, you only really get the gist of why right around the time he gets bitten, but it's still kind of a gut-punch when he's like 'nah, just leave me here to turn, maybe I'll find my family again'. As both go on, you get things like 'Oh, Billy's our second best shot!' to shoehorn him into a big role in the prison battle before he's a 'gently caress everything' moment for Hershel, or in the show, like Axel just chills out in the background, finally starts opening up to Carol, them boom, headshot.

At least the comics don't really have the trend of after a character dies, other characters are suddenly like 'Wow, I wish so-and-so with no screen time hadn't died. He was the greatest. Please viewers, be convinced there was some gravity to his demise, and that you should give a plop that they're gone'.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Haha, even with your description I still can't for the life of me remember who Jimmy is. I guess that's a side effect of how long it takes for comics to come out.

Incidentally - and this wasn't originally intended as a snarky troll-bait question, more of a "why are comics the way they are?" thing - why exactly does it take so long for these (or any) comics to come out? Especially these ones which aren't even loving coloured in. It's about 20-30 pages of lovely drawings and about a side of A4 or two's worth of written content. Why does it take a loving month or two for one of these to get done? When you look at the end result it isn't anything that can't be knocked out in a couple of days tops if minds were put to the task.*

Ok maybe an amount of snark was intended there, granted. But still, wha'tha gently caress?

I saw the latest issue was the first of a 6-parter. Guess I'll be back in a year or so when that's done to read it in an otherwise boring half-hour...

*This was your latest "guy who knows gently caress all about the medium who watches the lovely tv show comes windmilling in here asking the same loving questions everyone who dips their feet into comics asks" post. It was mostly posted in good faith though because I genuinely want to know the source of this frustration I'm feeling.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It takes time to ship books to the printer, have the pages run off, have them stapled together, and then shipped all over the country.

The bare-minimum turnaround time for a printed item is about a month, if everything goes exactly right.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Cactus posted:

Haha, even with your description I still can't for the life of me remember who Jimmy is. I guess that's a side effect of how long it takes for comics to come out.

Incidentally - and this wasn't originally intended as a snarky troll-bait question, more of a "why are comics the way they are?" thing - why exactly does it take so long for these (or any) comics to come out? Especially these ones which aren't even loving coloured in. It's about 20-30 pages of lovely drawings and about a side of A4 or two's worth of written content. Why does it take a loving month or two for one of these to get done? When you look at the end result it isn't anything that can't be knocked out in a couple of days tops if minds were put to the task.*

Ok maybe an amount of snark was intended there, granted. But still, wha'tha gently caress?

I saw the latest issue was the first of a 6-parter. Guess I'll be back in a year or so when that's done to read it in an otherwise boring half-hour...

*This was your latest "guy who knows gently caress all about the medium who watches the lovely tv show comes windmilling in here asking the same loving questions everyone who dips their feet into comics asks" post. It was mostly posted in good faith though because I genuinely want to know the source of this frustration I'm feeling.

Well, Jim went out when Tony Moore was still the artist, so I don't blame you for forgetting. Got bit when zombies swarmed the original camp. Wanderer's right about publishing time and all, but I also guess Adlard and Kirkman have to touch base to see if anyone needs to be killed off/disfigured to keep some of his characters from looking completely loving identical.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Just read 159. It might possibly have the best Negan moments so far.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This issue has the biggest death since Lori. It was good.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I probably could have done without reading that kind-of-spoiler, but whatever. My fault for just opening the thread because I saw a new post, heh.

gently caress.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 6, 2016

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Does Rick still have the hatchet he took from the barn at the start of the series? He used it a lot in the first half of the series, but I don't remember him losing it or it getting broken at any point.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Does Rick still have the hatchet he took from the barn at the start of the series? He used it a lot in the first half of the series, but I don't remember him losing it or it getting broken at any point.

Negan took it from him back then, didn't he?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

frodnonnag posted:

Negan took it from him back then, didn't he?

Just checked - he has it during after the time skip, during A New Beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

OldMemes posted:

Just checked - he has it during after the time skip, during A New Beginning.

Not like rick has done much fighting since time skip, he's a gimpy mess. I think then he used it right before the fishing ship came in, thats the only time he fought, confronting alpha didn't involve him fighting.

• Locked thread