Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Spaniard posted:

I actually saw the point for the monologue. Douglas now knows that Rick is willing to kill if it's necessary, but doesn't do it at the drop of a hat (from not being shocked, and his reply 'assume it was necessary'). And knows that Rick will look after children as much as possible, from the facial reactions to the child-eye story.

I want to know what Davidson did/caused, and what happened to that kid's eye too. Things aren't as peachy as they look. I hope they stay level for a while longer yet.

Spoilered just in case.
I never thought about that, you make a good point about the monologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsomniakV
Mar 20, 2004

Ambien is my teddy bear...
Just finished 70. I got a strong baptism/forgiven of sins vibe when Rick took a shower and got a hair cut. I think we're going to be in the community for a while. If anything I think Douglas has anger management issues and conflict arises when Rick's constable suspicions lead him to suspect the leader of domestic violence or maybe child abuse.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

Ohhhhhhh snap

What an incredible last panel, this is like a slow motion car crash. I completely expect (some of) them to be run out of town after a failed coup and for things to get EVEN WORSE for them (Rick and Carl)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
/\/\/\/\/\Hahaha, glad to see I wasn't the only one.

Holy poo poo, did anyone else get chills at the end of 71?

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I've been saying since this to my friends since the whole Community storyline started - I was hoping that Rick and his group would somehow turn out to be the bad guys during this overall arc. Whether they realize it or not, or whether they are just too broken to really trust or fit in, it looks like that may be what's happening.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo this issue was great. That last panel was perfect and made my jaw drop.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
I'm good for another six issues of this I think.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
That was a good issue and all but I kinda want to see a zombie again.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Drunkboxer posted:

That was a good issue and all but I kinda want to see a zombie again.

But... they ARE the Walking Dead!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Matt Cruea posted:

But... they ARE the Walking Dead!

Haha. Thing is, it's been a very gradual slide downwards, every step taken for a good, logical reason. Just the incredibly casual way Rick says they can take over the town shows how much they've been changed.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Haha. Thing is, it's been a very gradual slide downwards, every step taken for a good, logical reason. Just the incredibly casual way Rick says they can take over the town shows how much they've been changed.

Yeah. They took Rick's group into the town, in part, because they knew how to handle themselves, and because Rick knew what to do to keep his group alive. Seems like that might now include taking over their town, if need be.

Any doubts that this will end with a zombie invasion into the town for one reason or another?

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?
I've been debating picking up the trades to this for a couple years now. I'm starting to think that I just might have to break down and pick them up whenever I get a little bit more cash in addition to the other purchases I have planned.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Guy Compton posted:

Yeah. They took Rick's group into the town, in part, because they knew how to handle themselves, and because Rick knew what to do to keep his group alive. Seems like that might now include taking over their town, if need be.

Any doubts that this will end with a zombie invasion into the town for one reason or another?

This is the most likely scenario I think. We'll get a lot of conflict, but I dunno if Rick and company will take over. I think there might be a power struggle, and then the zombies bust in.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I suspect that the inclusion of Rick's group is what will destroy the town. No outside element or secret villainy from the townsfolk is even necessary.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
That's a pretty common theme in Zombie media and is probably metaphorical. Thinking about all the undead/zombie films etc I've ever seen, it's almost always a group forming a somewhat stable, safe environment that's walled off/protected from the zombies and then internal conflict within group eventually allows a breach in the perimeter at which point the zombies get in and it's pretty much every man for himself.

On another note I was recently rereading the entire series and noted that a few of the Woodbury people made it into the prison after everything goes to hell. Some where down the line I hope Kirkman will revisit that area just so we can see what transpired after the battle. If they stayed and rebuilt the fences or whatever. It would be interesting to find out what happened.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

-Blackadder- posted:

That's a pretty common theme in Zombie media and is probably metaphorical. Thinking about all the undead/zombie films etc I've ever seen, it's almost always a group forming a somewhat stable, safe environment that's walled off/protected from the zombies and then internal conflict within group eventually allows a breach in the perimeter at which point the zombies get in and it's pretty much every man for himself.

On another note I was recently rereading the entire series and noted that a few of the Woodbury people made it into the prison after everything goes to hell. Some where down the line I hope Kirkman will revisit that area just so we can see what transpired after the battle. If they stayed and rebuilt the fences or whatever. It would be interesting to find out what happened.

I think it was implied that the Woodbury people all bought the farm at the end of that arc, when it has those exterior panels of the prison with the 'BLAM BLAM' sound effects turning into 'klik klik' ones.

Anyone want to spoil the latest issue for me? And is Morgan actually doing anything? After they picked him up, it seems like he doeasn't do anything and they don't even feature him in group shots. Which means he's most likely (as far as I'm concerned)to die next.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Anyone else facepalm when they said they kept the armory right next to the gates?

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER
We can balance out a little people drama with some zombie action by including some Runners in the story. I hope they don't take the easy way out and have zombies overrun the town. There are too many interesting ways this can go, and I'd be upset if they didn't stretch it out for a few issues. I mean, the jail was pretty boring and we got plenty of that.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think it was implied that the Woodbury people all bought the farm at the end of that arc, when it has those exterior panels of the prison with the 'BLAM BLAM' sound effects turning into 'klik klik' ones.

Ah, I missed that. drat, you could be right, then. Hmmm, would still be a nice place to try to clean out and rebuild one day, if they could ever muster the resources to take it back from the zombies.

One of the things that always struck me as weird both before and after the prison arc when they're having so much trouble finding a place is that nobody suggests just finding another prison, or a hospital, or a school, or a mall. Just get yourself a map and a phone book and start looking for places like that, that aren't too close to the city. But instead they just drive around until they run into whatever. I mean I guess it's to keep the story moving and such so it makes sense for drama's sake.

Anomalous
Jun 27, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Affi posted:

Anyone else facepalm when they said they kept the armory right next to the gates?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one.

I think it's great how they're showing Carl as the most disgruntled about the whole situation, saying it seemed like it was all make-believe. It shows how truth through the perspective of a child can lay bare what a lot of them are heavily hiding on the inside as adults. At least half the group feels exactly the same way as Carl, he's just more honest about it as a child.

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.

Soonmot posted:

/\/\/\/\/\Hahaha, glad to see I wasn't the only one.

Holy poo poo, did anyone else get chills at the end of 71?

Yeah. And not just because of what Rick said. I think Kirkman's going to kill him off.

SublimeDelusions
Jun 19, 2005
Dentyne Fire + Dentyne Ice = End of World?

Darth Ronson posted:

Yeah. And not just because of what Rick said. I think Kirkman's going to kill him off.

Kirkman said that in an interview. Basically, with all the poo poo he puts Rick through, he's going to have to kill Rick off before the end of the series if he doesn't wind up letting up on the guy. I only read the first volume, but it seems like he doesn't let up on him at all.

Just finished up volume one. I enjoyed it. I kinda want to go pick up 2, 3, and 4 tomorrow or monday (the only ones my shop had in). Not sure I'm going to grab them just yet though. Definitely a good read.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Carl is going to intentionally lure kids out beyond the walls to play or some stupid excuse so they can get lost or cause a commotion/breach that will let zombies in. To Carl he thinks the ONLY way this can end is in everyone's death, because that's all he's ever known, and wants to keep the group on the move.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Sarah Wayne Callies is going to be playing Lori, Rick's wife. Fans of ridiculous television will remember her from Prison Break.

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/419324_tvgif30.html

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Darth Ronson posted:

That would be the most humane thing Kirkman will ever do for that guy.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

SublimeDelusions posted:

Just finished up volume one. I enjoyed it. I kinda want to go pick up 2, 3, and 4 tomorrow or monday (the only ones my shop had in). Not sure I'm going to grab them just yet though. Definitely a good read.
Be warned, somewhere around vol 4 of the TPBs is a horrible place to stop reading. One book just ends with a rather huge cliffhanger. I wish my books were here so I could figure out which one.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

StumblyWumbly posted:

Be warned, somewhere around vol 4 of the TPBs is a horrible place to stop reading. One book just ends with a rather huge cliffhanger. I wish my books were here so I could figure out which one.

I looked back through and there's a pretty big cliffhanger at the end of Volume 3.

It's in the prison right after the psycho rapist guy gets killed and thrown to the zombies. The big bald prisoner (couldn't find his name) shows up with a gun to throw Rick's group out of the prison.

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

I'm having a really hard time believing that an entire organized community has existed for this long and nobody thought to have a lookout of any sort.

Something isn't adding up and it's either the townspeople or Kirkman's writing.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Sarah Wayne Callies is going to be playing Lori, Rick's wife. Fans of ridiculous television will remember her from Prison Break.

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/419324_tvgif30.html

Ah, yet another Prison she's going to get sent off to. I wonder if Rick will have a mean sleeve tattoo showing how to kill the zombies

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jack Skeleton posted:

Ah, yet another Prison she's going to get sent off to. I wonder if Rick will have a mean sleeve tattoo showing how to kill the zombies

I would want to see this tattoo.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Right shoulder:
SHOOT THEM IN THE

Left shoulder:
HEAD

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Rei_ posted:

Right shoulder:
SHOOT THEM IN THE

Left shoulder:
HEAD

:lol: I loved that show.

Anyway, can't wait for this. This is easily my most anticipated new show.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

teekun posted:

I'm having a really hard time believing that an entire organized community has existed for this long and nobody thought to have a lookout of any sort.

Something isn't adding up and it's either the townspeople or Kirkman's writing.
Well, their gate is apparently pretty sturdy and they do have some security. I could see them thinking that would be enough. Especially since there's also not that much indication that they've dealt with roaming rape and cannibal gangs, serial killers, or something like Woodbury.

EDIT: Updated the OP a bit.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 4, 2010

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

Timeless Appeal posted:

Well, their gate is apparently pretty sturdy and they do have some security. I could see them thinking that would be enough. Especially since there's also not that much indication that they've dealt with roaming rape and cannibal gangs, serial killers, or something like Woodbury.

Yeah, I agree with that. We tend to forget that the USA is a really big place, so there's likely to be spots that just get passed by & avoid getting hit with all the crazy poo poo. It's conceivable they may have actually found such a place.

Question: What's the internal time frame here? The comic's been running for about 6 years, but how much time has passed in the story? I kinda get the feeling that it's been a year since #1's events, but that just doesn't seem right somehow.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

picosecond posted:

Yeah, I agree with that. We tend to forget that the USA is a really big place, so there's likely to be spots that just get passed by & avoid getting hit with all the crazy poo poo. It's conceivable they may have actually found such a place.

Question: What's the internal time frame here? The comic's been running for about 6 years, but how much time has passed in the story? I kinda get the feeling that it's been a year since #1's events, but that just doesn't seem right somehow.

I remember Rick saying something about his group being together for 14 months in this last issue or the one before it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I'm glad that Kirkman decided not to kill off Abraham yet. (according to the OP)Every time Rick gets someone he can count on they seem to die.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

picosecond posted:

The comic started in the fall and it's the fall again. So, it's been somewhere between 12-14 months

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've been re-reading the comic, I gotta say kirkman seems to entirely forget about some of his characters sometimes, as they won't appear at all in an entire issue. Basically if he starts reminding us a totally forgettable character exists it's only because they're about to die.

The twins and their parents are perfect examples of this. What do they do for the entire comic except die?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I honestly often forget that Rosita, Eugene, Sofia, and Gabriel exist. Now would be a really good time to take an issue or two to pull focus away from Carl, Rick, Abraham, Michonne, and Andrea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big dumb baby
May 2, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I've been re-reading the comic, I gotta say kirkman seems to entirely forget about some of his characters sometimes, as they won't appear at all in an entire issue. Basically if he starts reminding us a totally forgettable character exists it's only because they're about to die.

The twins and their parents are perfect examples of this. What do they do for the entire comic except die?

Do you really want him to be forcing appearances by every character when they aren't needed? That seems kind of silly. Especially when "an entire issue" is all of what, 20 pages?

• Locked thread