Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I like those small block fours. Sounds like it needs a lot of poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I like those small block fours. Sounds like it needs a lot of poo poo though.

Yeah, saw the bike today, it's not in terrible shape, just needs the usual wear items - tires, brakes, maybe fork seal, maybe just cleaning up of the slider surface.

We'll see what the deal is with the electricals, that's the only sticky spot for me at the moment.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Z3n posted:

Yeah, saw the bike today, it's not in terrible shape, just needs the usual wear items - tires, brakes, maybe fork seal, maybe just cleaning up of the slider surface.

We'll see what the deal is with the electricals, that's the only sticky spot for me at the moment.

IIRC he said the turn signals didn't work. Those should be easy to trace to a bad connection, failed relay, or bulb. Were there other sparky issues?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Tamir Lenk posted:

IIRC he said the turn signals didn't work. Those should be easy to trace to a bad connection, failed relay, or bulb. Were there other sparky issues?

Overcharging, but has a fresh battery. Will need to spend a little time chasing electrical stuff, but that's not the end of the world :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Did you mess with the swingarm at all? I'm curious how the shop decided it needed bushings. Noticeable play in the rear end or something?

If there are issues with the charging system I'd be inclined to replace the whole thing with parts from Rick's. Hondas of that age blow out often.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Did you mess with the swingarm at all? I'm curious how the shop decided it needed bushings. Noticeable play in the rear end or something?

If there are issues with the charging system I'd be inclined to replace the whole thing with parts from Rick's. Hondas of that age blow out often.

I'm curious on that front as well - waiting on pulling the rear wheel to inspect it properly. Assuming that the rear swingarm pivot is seized to gently caress and replacing it will involve pounding it out and replacing the pivot bolt. Could have grabbed it and checked it out then, but :effort: when I'm standing in the street chatting.

That Ricks replacements are available for the vintage stuff is good to know - obviously, holding off on buying parts that might be good until we can really tear everything down..

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Z3n posted:

I'm curious on that front as well - waiting on pulling the rear wheel to inspect it properly. Assuming that the rear swingarm pivot is seized to gently caress and replacing it will involve pounding it out and replacing the pivot bolt. Could have grabbed it and checked it out then, but :effort: when I'm standing in the street chatting.

That Ricks replacements are available for the vintage stuff is good to know - obviously, holding off on buying parts that might be good until we can really tear everything down..

If the charging system can keep the stator but needs new reg/rectifier bits, I had great luck with dumping the regulator and rectifier off my old Suzuki and replacing it with the R/R off a 2009 CBR. I don't recall all my research details from the time, but that particular R/R (according to various EE types on GSR) was pretty ideal for heat management and salvaging the very badly designed Suzuki charging system. Even more so, after I made other wiring changes to adopt a single-point ground point, routing all of the ground paths through the R/R, and eliminating Suzuki's retarded "run one leg off the stator through the headlight switch on the handlebar" wiring. Also that R/R was fairly easy to find on eBay for cheap.

HTH

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tamir Lenk posted:

If the charging system can keep the stator but needs new reg/rectifier bits, I had great luck with dumping the regulator and rectifier off my old Suzuki and replacing it with the R/R off a 2009 CBR. I don't recall all my research details from the time, but that particular R/R (according to various EE types on GSR) was pretty ideal for heat management and salvaging the very badly designed Suzuki charging system. Even more so, after I made other wiring changes to adopt a single-point ground point, routing all of the ground paths through the R/R, and eliminating Suzuki's retarded "run one leg off the stator through the headlight switch on the handlebar" wiring. Also that R/R was fairly easy to find on eBay for cheap.

HTH

Yeah there's a certain brand of MOSFET R/R that people often recommend for replacements/upgrades. If that's the problem, definitely going to recommend we go that direction. I'll scan the wiring diagram to make sure there's no rear end backwards designs like that in the CB, thanks!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ugh. I need to get a tank for my 80 CB400T after it got damaged over the winter in the storage place. Trying to find one that's not rusted to hell or already dented as gently caress is such a PITA.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

Ugh. I need to get a tank for my 80 CB400T after it got damaged over the winter in the storage place. Trying to find one that's not rusted to hell or already dented as gently caress is such a PITA.

What kind of damage did you get?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Tamir Lenk posted:

Guy I store it with said a pretty big dent, I haven't seen it myself yet since we're arranging delivery of both of my bikes at the moment.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Tamir Lenk posted:

So there's the tank:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

drat. That sucks. Doesn't look like something you could pull and/or patch with some bondo etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That's a welded stud and hammer job. It "could be fixed". You've got a honda there, so your tank is most likely "just one year" or maybe two years. I'd take it to a body shop and have them give you a quote.

• Locked thread