Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gary Mitchell
Apr 3, 2007

Morals are for men, not gods.
So I've just finished the series, and have the film left. This show was wonderful in that I couldn't quite explain why I liked it so much. I can only really say that it was attention to detail and quality acting which made it so engaging. I avoided everything I could related to Twin Peaks until now that might be spoilery, and I've only just read this whole thread (avoiding FWWM spoilers) now. I didn't mind season two at all, although learning that reveal midway was producer-mandated makes me kinda sad. It was also heartbreaking to find the series ending on a cliffhanger. Solely for Cooper's sake.

I will say that I spent the whole last half of season two waiting for Nadine to accept Bob in her dumb-teen condition and start beating the poo poo out of people to make her whole arc meaningful in some way. At least, that's what I would have done. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

I discovered this a few days as part of my (sure to fail) attempt to see everything ever made by David Lynch in a week. It is now likely to become my favorite show ever. I was prepared for a bit more mindfuckery and not prepared for the comedy and am not at all disappointed with what I got.
I am also now in desperate need of pie.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I absolutely love this TV show, I think I have watched each season 5 times over. I was really disappointed when the show was canceled, because it would have gone on to be even more amazing than it already was.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I've never watched Twin Peaks past the point where they reveal Laura Palmer's killer, but I decided recently to rewatch the show and finally finish the 2nd season. It's so weird watching early season 1 knowing what happens, because the killer ends up having nothing to do with any of what's going on. I wonder whether that outcome was planned from the beginning or if they just came up with it on the fly.

Also, James looks like Zoolander.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I've never watched Twin Peaks past the point where they reveal Laura Palmer's killer, but I decided recently to rewatch the show and finally finish the 2nd season. It's so weird watching early season 1 knowing what happens, because the killer ends up having nothing to do with any of what's going on. I wonder whether that outcome was planned from the beginning or if they just came up with it on the fly.

From what I've read, Lynch and Frost knew before shooting scene 1, episode 1, season 1 who the killer was but had planned never to reveal it.

lol @ zoolander, hadn't thought of that before but it's spot on. Christ what a terrible actor he is, especially in contrast to the otherwise excellent cast.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Well the European version has the revelation, I would say yes.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

bobkatt013 posted:

Well the European version has the revelation, I would say yes.

The European version doesn't have anything that wasn't revealed in the second episode, if you're talking about what I'm thinking about.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

The European version doesn't have anything that wasn't revealed in the second episode, if you're talking about what I'm thinking about.

Nope it revels the killer, however the dream sequence that was filmed for the European version was later placed in the second episode.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Nope it revels the killer, however the dream sequence that was filmed for the European version was later placed in the second episode.

Oh, you mean Bob? I never really saw that as much of a mystery since it was shared so early on. Leland Palmer was the big reveal that stirred up all that mess between Lynch and NBC, and there was nothing other than very indirect hints in the first season pointing towards it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

Oh, you mean Bob? I never really saw that as much of a mystery since it was shared so early on. Leland Palmer was the big reveal that stirred up all that mess between Lynch and NBC, and there was nothing other than very indirect hints in the first season pointing towards it.

poo poo you are right, but I read that they knew who did it but where not going to revel it. However, there was a disagreement between the creators and eventually they did, and caused Lynch to leave.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 22, 2010

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

lol @ zoolander, hadn't thought of that before but it's spot on. Christ what a terrible actor he is, especially in contrast to the otherwise excellent cast.

I agree on the zoolandarity, but I don't know if it's necessarily because he's a terrible actor or if James was just written as the least interesting character in the show. Has he been in anything else?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I remember a funny story I heard about the actor who plays James. I might have even read it in one of these threads a few years ago, not sure.

Anyway, someone was at a Twin Peaks convention or some such function, the sort of thing where a bunch of fans get together and maybe a few of the more washed-up actors from the series with nothing better to do make appearances and do speaking engagements, that sort of thing. Apparently all of the actors who showed up were at tables signing autographs and so forth at one point, and everybody had a decently long line except James Hurley. He was sitting at his table all alone, not a single soul wanted his autograph even at a Twin Peaks convention :xd:

Portable Staplefrog posted:

I agree on the zoolandarity, but I don't know if it's necessarily because he's a terrible actor or if James was just written as the least interesting character in the show. Has he been in anything else?

HOLY poo poo. Literally just a few days ago I watched the film A Few Good Men because I'd never seen it and randomly got the urge to watch Tom Cruise act smarmy, and one of the two marines being prosecuted (the quiet and vaguely pretty one who never said a word unless he was ordered to say it) in the film looked vaguely familiar, but I just couldn't place him. I even watched the cast listing at the end and didn't recognize the name of the guy who played him, so I chalked it up to my imagination.

Turns out, of course that it was James Marshall, same guy who played James Hurley! He was fine in that role, though, because it was in the nature of the plot for him to stand around and appear to be really dimwitted and stupid. Otherwise he's had an extremely forgettable career doing bit parts in TV movies and such. He did have a leading role in a long-since-forgotten film called Gladiator (the one from 1992, not the Russell Crowe one). In a little Lynchian connection, that film also co-starred the legendary Robert Loggia who played the unforgettable Mr. Eddie from Lost Highway.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 25, 2010

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
James was also in an episode of CSI as a bad guy. He was blond, had aged pretty well, but had not improved his acting skills any.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
After hearing this show talked about so much, I decided to check it out. I really wanted to like it, but I almost bailed after the pilot. The story is interesting, but I just don't know if I can take the over-dramatic acting and the super-loud 90s cheesy background music playing through almost every scene. I decided to stick with it, though, and I'm on episode 4. Like I said, I do like the story, but I roll my eyes about five times an episode. I like Dale Cooper, and I like the surreal aspects of the show, but the soap opera stuff, particularly the background music...ugh. It reminds me of an emotional scene in Full House or something.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Twin Peaks' music is as much a part of what makes it great as anything else on the show. If you don't like it then I'm not sure you like Twin Peaks.

Also all the campiness, cheesiness, melodrama and the soap opera-like scenes are entirely intentional.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Yes. If you need a clue as to how seriously you're supposed to take most of the melodramatic soap-opera aspects of the show, pay attention to the in-show soap opera "Invitation To Love" that is often playing on television screens in the background, and which in fact mirrors much of the goings-on of the actual show itself.

I really think that twin Peaks - up through the first half season 2 - is entirely self-aware, which is part of what makes it so amusing. It's also a big part of its downfall, when the show descended into self-parody during the latter part of season 2 and what was previously delicious irony turned into boring sludge. Up until the last couple episodes, of course.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cromulent posted:

After hearing this show talked about so much, I decided to check it out. I really wanted to like it, but I almost bailed after the pilot. The story is interesting, but I just don't know if I can take the over-dramatic acting and the super-loud 90s cheesy background music playing through almost every scene. I decided to stick with it, though, and I'm on episode 4. Like I said, I do like the story, but I roll my eyes about five times an episode. I like Dale Cooper, and I like the surreal aspects of the show, but the soap opera stuff, particularly the background music...ugh. It reminds me of an emotional scene in Full House or something.

Trust me, give it three more episodes. If you're not on board by then, I don't know what to say.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

kaworu posted:

Yes. If you need a clue as to how seriously you're supposed to take most of the melodramatic soap-opera aspects of the show, pay attention to the in-show soap opera "Invitation To Love" that is often playing on television screens in the background, and which in fact mirrors much of the goings-on of the actual show itself.
I actually just caught the first instance of this, and it gave me a laugh.

Also all the campiness, cheesiness, melodrama and the soap opera-like scenes are entirely intentional.
See, I kind of figured that, but there really wasn't enough of a nudge or wink, until the "Invitation To Love" bit.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Watching this series now, as well. So far, it's the most amazing show I've ever seen.

Alberto Basalm fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 29, 2010

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Cromulent posted:

If you think the music is cheesy then this isn't the show for you. The main theme, Laura's Theme, the creepy/sexy song (not sure the name of it, main riff is a bass playing a scale downwards then back up) are all loving amazing and easily among the best music for any television series ever. Laura's Theme is literally pure despair and heartbreak in audio form.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

regulargonzalez posted:

If you think the music is cheesy then this isn't the show for you. The main theme, Laura's Theme, the creepy/sexy song (not sure the name of it, main riff is a bass playing a scale downwards then back up) are all loving amazing and easily among the best music for any television series ever. Laura's Theme is literally pure despair and heartbreak in audio form.
It grew on me. It just took me a few episodes to really get the rhythm of the show down. I'm on episode 3 of season 2 and am enjoying it much more.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Cromulent posted:

It grew on me. It just took me a few episodes to really get the rhythm of the show down. I'm on episode 3 of season 2 and am enjoying it much more.

If I may make a suggestion -- after the "big reveal" in a few episodes, skip through every single James scene thereafter.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

If I may make a suggestion -- after the "big reveal" in a few episodes, skip through every single James scene thereafter.

Well, there's some argument to be made for enduring them. Once you've made it through, all the good stuff then suddenly seems that much better by comparison. Heck, even the mediocre stuff seems good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

Well, there's some argument to be made for enduring them. Once you've made it through, all the good stuff then suddenly seems that much better by comparison. Heck, even the mediocre stuff seems good.

The only argument is that I didn't also include skipping every Nadine scene as well.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I literally HAD to skip through all the James scenes in the latter part of season 2, my first time through anyway. I basically had no choice. It was either that or stop watching the show completely, because there was no way in HELL I could sit through all that crap. It's almost like a do or die scenario by the time he ends up at that weird married chick's house, you either skip through it or you give up.

My second time through I was determined to watch the entire thing, and I found out that I had made a wise decision before and missed absolutely nothing important or enjoyable.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

regulargonzalez posted:

The only argument is that I didn't also include skipping every Nadine scene as well.
Haha, noted. Yeah, she just woke up from a coma and became a teenager, and even more annoying.

I can't get James's 50's love ballad out of my head.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

OK, I'm midway through Season 2. Is there any non-spoilery way to tell me if who or what the Giant is is ever explained? Like, one word answer is all I really want

edit: Thanks, yo

Alberto Basalm fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 29, 2010

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Alberto Basalm posted:

OK, I'm midway through Season 2. Is there any non-spoilery way to tell me if who or what the Giant is is ever explained? Like, one word answer is all I really want

One word: Kinda?

Longer answer with season 2 ending spoilers: Hes a part of the black lodge, but not an evil part. He seems to exist to guide Cooper to the black lodge.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

One word: Kinda?

Longer answer with season 2 ending spoilers: Hes a part of the black lodge, but not an evil part. He seems to exist to guide Cooper to the black lodge.

My one-word explanation of the Giant, which I don't think is THAT spoilery but some might think it is, would be this: Help.. In the sense that that is what he is.

Also, about the Giant, first of all I'm pretty sure he's from the White Lodge; even though he shows up in the Black Lodge I think it's more as a projection of Cooper's mind. Plus, along with The Log Lady (and arguably Miss Tremond/Chalfont and her grandson), he seems to be one of the most benevolent supernatural entities portrayed on the show.

I've always been a little confused about his physical nature, though. He seems to be the same entity as that of the smaller old man with the mustache who usually precedes the Giant's arrival (as we learn later in the Black Lodge, "one and the same"). The thing is, I've never been sure if the Giant possesses bodies in the same way as Mike and Bob. Like, does the Giant actually appear in corporeal form to Cooper, or are we just seeing a fantasy of sorts when that happens? The ring appearing and disappearing seems to indicate that the Giant is physically real, but then why the connection to the old man? It's all a bit confusing, even within the loose framework of show's mythology.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 29, 2010

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Just finished it - what a hell of a way to end the show. Everything in the Black Lodge scene, buildup included was some of the creepiest, darkest stuff I've seen come from TV.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Alberto Basalm posted:

Just finished it - what a hell of a way to end the show. Everything in the Black Lodge scene, buildup included was some of the creepiest, darkest stuff I've seen come from TV.

I watched that, alone, at 4 in the morning in a giant, empty apartment. I ended up sleeping with all the lights on.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

I also just finished it. I'll have to agree with the general consensus - the middle of S2 is pretty painfully bad, but the finale makes up for it. I loved all the Black Lodge stuff at the end, as that stuff is definitely my favorite part of the show. I would have loved to see more on that in the middle of the 2nd season, as opposed to the other dogshit that went on. Also, I assume it was originally supposed to be Audrey instead of Annie.

I just gotta watch the movie now.

EDIT: Also, I'm still kinda confused about Harold's old neighbor and the creamed corn kid. Is that explained any more in the movie? I'm guessing they're Lodge spirits, but it was odd that Donna saw them, when she didn't have any other kinds of visions throughout the series.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 29, 2010

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Cromulent posted:

I also just finished it. I'll have to agree with the general consensus - the middle of S2 is pretty painfully bad, but the finale makes up for it. I loved all the Black Lodge stuff at the end, as that stuff is definitely my favorite part of the show. I would have loved to see more on that in the middle of the 2nd season, as opposed to the other dogshit that went on. Also, I assume it was originally supposed to be Audrey instead of Annie.

It was. But Kyle MacLachlan wasn't comfortable with such a straightlace as Cooper going for an obviously underage girl. Heather Graham's character was basically introduced to fill that role.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cromulent posted:

Also, I assume it was originally supposed to be Audrey instead of Annie.

Edit: And I was loving beaten, but anyway...

...the result of that was two of the most unnecessary plot points of Season 2, namely Annie getting involved with Agent Cooper and Billy Zane's Random Rich Douche Guy becoming romantically involved with Audrey. If it would've been simply Audrey and Agent Cooper being romantically involved, and Audrey being taken to the Black Lodge by Windom Earle, the second season would've been a bit better.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

One more thing that irked me about season 2 - in the 2nd half, there seemed to be a huge push to refer to Cooper as "Coop" exclusively. It would make sense for Harry, or maybe old friends to call him that, but everyone was using it. Even when Bob reappeared, he called him "Coop", which just made me laugh. It seemed to happen when Cooper started wearing flannel, which was equally as corny.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I feel like Cooper wearing flannel is one of the few things in Season 2 that's earned. It's silly but it almost completes his character arc. It's way better than BILLY ZANE

GHOSTBONER
Jan 23, 2008

this isn't shoegaze
this is suicide

Cromulent posted:

Also, I assume it was originally supposed to be Audrey instead of Annie.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that all the teens in the show were supposed to be college kids, but the network made them high schoolers for some reason, which is why McLachlan was so against Cooper and Audrey hooking up

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

Cooper's flannel shirt and big badge outfit was pretty weird considering the character

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

GHOSTBONER posted:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that all the teens in the show were supposed to be college kids, but the network made them high schoolers for some reason, which is why McLachlan was so against Cooper and Audrey hooking up

Cooper is a pretty straightlaced guy. He wouldn't have had a romantic relationship with a minor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Cooper is a pretty straightlaced guy. He wouldn't have had a romantic relationship with a minor.

As true as that is, it doesn't matter since Audrey isn't a "minor" in the show, she's 18. I think it's more accurate to say that he wouldn't have had a romantic relationship with someone that much younger than him. Although Annie doesn't seem all that much older and/or experienced than Audrey. As much as I like Kyle MacLachlan, I think he was a touch off-base on that issue.

I mean, I could see Agent Cooper and Audrey becoming romantically involved around the middle of the second season, and that would be the start of his "downfall". Being involved with a young, inexperienced girl would be what pushes him towards his inevitable fate as BOB's new vessel.

• Locked thread