Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I apologize if there has already been a Twin Peaks thread, but I looked through all the available TVIV pages (I don't have Archives) and didn't see one. I am discovering this show for the first time, courtesy of CBS.com, which has every episode available for free... except the pilot, which I had to find elsewhere. Yes, I realize this show is almost 20 years old and I am a late bloomer, but I never watched any of my favorite shows until after they ended (Buffy, Angel, Deadwood, Firefly, Rome) or caught up at least one season after they started (Lost, Arrested Development, Venture Bros., The Shield).

Those shows give you some examples of my taste. I love serialized shows with ensemble casts, overarching mysteries, plot twists, and character development moments that get revealed along the way. Basically, I love being sucked into a story with compelling characters and having no idea where it's going. And Twin Peaks must have been one of the first shows with this structure, way back in 1990 (when I don't recall anything else being good on TV). It's surprisingly DARK and WEIRD for network television back then. I'm sure it must have been critically acclaimed, but was it actually popular at the time?

Anyway, I'm three episodes in, and I'm hooked. I like David Lynch's theme of exposing the corruption and twisted secrets of supposedly idyllic American towns, as he did in Blue Velvet, but obviously Twin Peaks can take its time to develop. Some of it feels very soap opera-esque, and of course all of the high school students look like they're in their 20s and 30s. Was Sherilyn Fenn considered the big sex symbol or breakout star of the show? I've never seen her in anything else, but she is sultry and smoking here!

My favorite part of Twin Peaks is the interplay between quirky, dorky, brilliant FBI Agent Cooper (Kyle McLachlan) and quiet, competent, loyal Sheriff Harry S. Truman (Michael Ontkean). It would have been too much of a cliche for the writers to have them butt heads only to warm up to each other along the way, so I liked how they hit it off as buddy cops/partners from the beginning. Cooper seems like he would have been an influence on some of the current gimmicky TV detectives, as well as Fox Mulder from The X-Files.

Well, I just thought I'd get people reminiscing about the show, or possibly expose some potential new fans to it. If old viewers who have seen everything start talking about it, could I politely ask you to use spoiler boxes, or at least to avoid revealing key stuff? Somehow I've made it almost two decades without spoilers, and I'm enjoying getting addicted to a new (old) show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clogproof Orifice
Apr 2, 2001
Like stee, moanin' ludlow!
Twin Peaks is one of my all-time favorite shows for sure, and I'm a little envious of you that this is your first time through! Great atmosphere, great quirky characters, great dialogue. Great show! My favorite part of the whole show is whenever they show the Black Lodge and its various inhabitants. It's incredibly unique, totally Lynch, and almost mindboggling that this was able to be aired on TV back in the early 90s.

Oh, and if you think it's weird and dark now, just wait until you get a little further along. Heh heh heh...

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

My all time favorite show, with The Wire just below at #2. I think every guy who watches the show falls in love with Sherilynn Fenn, though you're right that she never went on to do much afterwards, besides a Showtime series in the late 90s or early part of this decade.

Also, I hope you watched the original pilot and not the European one, as that one had an ending forced onto it that makes no sense in the context of the show. The correct pilot should have ended with Laura's mom waking up, gasping, on the couch. If there was anything after that -- say, scenes in a hospital -- kindly ignore them. Lynch was forced to include an 'ending' for the Euro version of the pilot in case the show didn't get picked up over there; for whatever reason, the powers that be didn't want any viewers to be left hanging and so treated it like a made-for-tv-movie.

And be prepared for some miserable subplots in the second season, though in contrast to most I like the main plotline in S2 as much as in S1.

En Sabah Nur
Mar 29, 2008

Duck and Cover.
At the time it aired you had whole groups of people come together to watch it. And they would eat pie and coffee, it was a whole ritual at the time.

The soundtrack was played a lot too if i recall.

Hogarth Hughes
Apr 16, 2006

"As for me, people will be pleased to escape from me in one piece."

:black101:
Twin Peaks was popular when it was on, for a little while. It became pretty convoluted and hard to follow on a weekly TV schedule; I think the network dicked it around in timeslots for a while there as well, so people kind of stopped watching it. I'm an old bastard, I was in high school when this was on and it was popular with us for a while. It was definitely unique for its time, when we were saddled with the likes of Home Improvement and Murphy Brown. Personally I had a great introduction to this show because I was stuck in a hospital bed, high as hell on Demerol after destroying my ankle and happened to catch the first episode of this in that state. :catdrugs:

Oh, yeah, and the score and soundtrack for the show are top-notch, and Sherilyn Fenn was indeed fap-tastic.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Beyond just Sherilyn Fenn, who I still love, you also had Machen Amick and Lara Flynn Boyle before she discovered plastic surgery and Jack Nicholson. Add in Peggy Lipton and you have probably the hottest cast of the 90s.

I think the first season of the show is completely incredible. For whatever reason I could never totally get into the second one. It may be worth breaking out the DVDs and trying again.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Hogarth Hughes posted:

Twin Peaks was popular when it was on, for a little while. It became pretty convoluted and hard to follow on a weekly TV schedule; I think the network dicked it around in timeslots for a while there as well, so people kind of stopped watching it. I'm an old bastard, I was in high school when this was on and it was popular with us for a while. It was definitely unique for its time, when we were saddled with the likes of Home Improvement and Murphy Brown. Personally I had a great introduction to this show because I was stuck in a hospital bed, high as hell on Demerol after destroying my ankle and happened to catch the first episode of this in that state. :catdrugs:

Oh, yeah, and the score and soundtrack for the show are top-notch, and Sherilyn Fenn was indeed fap-tastic.

Pretty much this. There are 2 soundtracks too. One for the movie and one for the show. Both are really cool. The network even commented at the time that they were "experimenting" by playing such a bizarre show by the then standards.

I still have questions about the show. What the hell was up with the letter "e" under the fingernail doing there?!?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I'm just gonna post in here because of the topic title/avatar combo :hehe:

Archonic
Oct 11, 2003

bury me with it

Ape Agitator posted:

I think the first season of the show is completely incredible. For whatever reason I could never totally get into the second one. It may be worth breaking out the DVDs and trying again.

The first season is almost like someone had Lynch just restrained enough in his usual weird poo poo to make it totally accessible. After that, it's as if he said, "either I do it my way or I'm out of here." The shift in tone and structure between the two seasons is incredibly jarring.

I love Twin Peaks, don't get me wrong, but the first season is one of the greatest seasons of any show that's ever been on television. The second season is something very different that, while it's enjoyable in its own way, is basically a completely different show. I realize this is appealing to a lot of people, I just couldn't deal with it very well.

I've talked to quite a few people who've watched it in the past few years, and they said about the same thing. Keep in mind I'm in my mid twenties, so I didn't see this show when it first aired and I don't know if that would sway my opinion any.

Ryaf
Jan 24, 2007

I really enjoyed season 1 of this show when I saw it a few years ago, Kyle McLachlan is awesome as agent Cooper. Even though I have seen season 2 in its entirety, a lot of season 2 unfortunately, to me felt like "filler" with incredibly stale pacing and subplots. If I watched season 2 today for the first time, I probably wouldn't finish it. Oh and the only thing worse than season 2 is the Twin Peaks movie, don't even get me started on that... still season 2 has it's moments, but the creative minds were not involved like they were in season 1.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I can't continue to read this thread because I'm afraid I will end up buying the DVDS, which I really can't afford right now.

There are moments in Twin Peaks that are literally the most scared I've ever been watching any form of media. Granted I was 12 or 13 at the time, but I can still see some of those moments vividly in my mind, and it STILL scares me. I had the coolest summer camp counselor ever. Once or twice a week before bedtime we would watch 1 or 2 episodes of Twin Peaks(he had the VHS tapes of the first season).

So yea, imagine watching that show in the middle of the woods after dark.

Bluebottle
Jan 30, 2008

Croatoan posted:

Pretty much this. There are 2 soundtracks too. One for the movie and one for the show. Both are really cool. The network even commented at the time that they were "experimenting" by playing such a bizarre show by the then standards.

I still have questions about the show. What the hell was up with the letter "e" under the fingernail doing there?!?

iirc, cooper said that was the "killer" spelling his name ("robert") by placing one of those letters under a fingernail of each of his various victims

Anyway, I quite liked the movie, although the show had built a certain mystique around the Laura Palmer character, and it was probably always going to be difficult to live up to that. I've read Lynch was planning two additional movies, but the film was such a commercial and critical failure that there was no way they would ever get made.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
If you watch the movie outside of the context of the show it's much better. I saw the movie long before I had watched the series and I think as far as Lynch's movies goes, it's one of the best. Granted, it doesn't make a lot of sense but I've never considered that to be a bad thing with a Lynch movie what with his personal symbolism thrown in there and all.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

amishbuttermaster posted:

If you watch the movie outside of the context of the show it's much better. I saw the movie long before I had watched the series and I think as far as Lynch's movies goes, it's one of the best. Granted, it doesn't make a lot of sense but I've never considered that to be a bad thing with a Lynch movie what with his personal symbolism thrown in there and all.

I too saw the movie before the show and, out of context, it was fantastically horrifying.
Not making any sense (because I hadn't seen the show) just added to that.

Flynner Magee
Nov 24, 2005
.....bad craziness.....
I love all the small side story stuff, except of course James and the rich bitch. Stuff like....

Mike and Nadine.

The Major and the woods.

....and it had Albert, one of the greatest characters ever.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Chiming in on the 2nd season having too many dumb sub-plots (not to mention a sudden need to talk about Important Issues like The Environment), but "Arbitrary Law" was still one of the best episodes of the series.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I remember trying to get into it and just being so depressed with the 1st episode, seeing Eraserhead all old and fishing. :(
You're not supposed to be in color, you're supposed to be in a tortured monochrome machine universe with an alien baby, dammit.
I do still remember the wierd backwards midget, but that's about it. Think I'll go get the episodes again and give it a shot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Basebf555 posted:

There are moments in Twin Peaks that are literally the most scared I've ever been watching any form of media. Granted I was 12 or 13 at the time, but I can still see some of those moments vividly in my mind, and it STILL scares me.

Agreed, the series finale was just otherworldly in its ratcheting up in tension. This scene, which happens just before poo poo gets real, is loving sublime in how it establishes the creepiness and horror to follow

(warning: kind of a spoiler for the series finale, but more in tone than in content. Probably won't make any sense out of context anyway)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-UwNjf77qo

Innocuous, except for how non-sequitarish it is, which is the epitome of the black lodge.

Also, "How's Annie? How's Annie"? :cry:

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 24, 2009

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
The pilot is on cbs.com

Just a friendly tip, because I spent a decent deal of time tracking down the first ep on some weird asian site, only to find out it was right there in HD

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just bumping my thread back up to say I've made it about halfway into Season 2, with the surprisingly early revelation of Laura Palmer's killer. Wow, I hadn't seen that coming. I'm really stunned Lynch and Frost didn't tease viewers until the season/series finale, but somehow I suspect a lot of network interference went on behind the scenes. I read comic books, which often fall victim to "decompressed" storytelling where stories that could be told in an issue or two are dragged out over four- or six- or eight-issue arcs, and Season 2 definitely feels decompressed to me.

That said, I'm still enjoying the show. Agent Cooper is still The Man, and I love his interactions with Audrey Horne, Sheriff Truman, and the other local cops. Dickish Albert Rosenfield (Miguel Ferrer) was great fun to have around, as was the pleasant surprise of David Lynch as Cooper's boss Gordon Cole. The reveal of Laura's killer was creepy and well-played, and Ray Wise just acted circles around everyone else on the show this season. I should have suspected him earlier, as he's so good at playing villains.

Now that the main story arc seems to be concluded, it seems like the show is about to go off in some weird new directions. I'm sure it will be very different than what we've seen so far, but I remain on board for anything. The Season 2 soap opera/comic relief subplots aren't doing much for me, though. I can't stand Nadine and her stupid amnesia, Lucy's pregnancy dilemma, or Shelly and Bobby scheming through Leo's coma. Madchen Amick is gorgeous (why haven't I ever seen her in anything else?), but her character has had NOTHING to do this entire show.

Question: Cooper and Truman have referred to the "Bookhouse Boys" more than once, but I must have missed the original reference. Is that Twin Peaks slang for the cops? I noticed Big Ed was included as a Bookhouse Boy for the undercover operation at One-Eyed Jack's, so is it the cops and any of their civic-minded allies? Will this all be revealed later?

Oh, by the way, the pilot is definitely not on CBS.com. I had to track it down on Youtube in several segments, but at least all the other episodes are available for free. I don't mean to pigeonhole Twin Peaks, but since I missed the boat in 1990, I'd have to describe it to modern audiences as Northern Exposure meets Lost with a dash of X-Files. Accurate?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 6, 2009

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Ape Agitator posted:

Beyond just Sherilyn Fenn, who I still love, you also had Machen Amick and Lara Flynn Boyle before she discovered plastic surgery and Jack Nicholson. Add in Peggy Lipton and you have probably the hottest cast of the 90s.

You left out Heather Graham :colbert:.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Archonic posted:

The first season is almost like someone had Lynch just restrained enough in his usual weird poo poo to make it totally accessible. After that, it's as if he said, "either I do it my way or I'm out of here." The shift in tone and structure between the two seasons is incredibly jarring.

Actually, this is way way way off. It's the exact opposite. David Lynch directs the first...3 or so episodes of Twin Peaks and decides that he wants to go make Wild At Heart, another really fantastic Lynch movie! When Lynch leaves, he really leaves, so Twin Peaks is left to Frost and the other staff writers. Frost didn't like this at all and decided to start altering things like Agent Cooper's character (about midway through season 2 he starts wearing jeans and flannel instead of his usual suit and Lynch just loving hated that) Lynch comes back to direct the first episode of season 2 (personally, I think he was trying to put the show back on track) and then by the end of the series he came back to direct the final episode and changed the ending all around which pissed off half the TP cast, and Frost.

Now, some may remember this, some may not, but Twin Peaks did in fact end it's initial run on ABC with the conclusion of who killed Laura Palmer. There was then an extensive write-in campaign which is where we get about the second half of Season 2. It was at this point ABC mucked around with the schedule and TP got bumped off its original timeslot for...the Olympics? Was that it? Bugger! I can't remember, but it was something like that.

Also, something to keep in mind is that David Lynch and Mark Frost butted heads many many times about the direction of the series especially on the cop angle. Mark Frost was famous for Hill Street Blues at the time and so he was bringing that experience to Twin Peaks. After a while Lynch felt Frost was taking the same approach to Twin Peaks as he did to Hill Street Blues, making it into a "cop drama" instead of what Lynch envisions. You can notice that Coopers intuition is less and less emphasized as time went on, this was because of Lynchs' waning involvement.

I fear if I go on from here I may spoil the end of the series and/or the movie. But I will just say this, if it had been Lynchs' vision the whole time, I don't think the show would have lasted as long, but it would have been more cohesive, maybe not in a narrative sense but an overall completion of cannon sense. If Lynch did the whole thing, Twin Peaks would have been much more like Fire Walk With Me. It sure wasn't Frosts' influence, just go watch Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer if you want to see what Mark Frost has been reduced to these days.

aniero fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Nov 9, 2009

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I discovered "Twin Peaks" in 2002. Bravo was re-running the pilot, and I remembered, vaguely, that my Mom was nuts about it when I was four. So I sat down and this is where one of my biggest obsessions in High School began. I have all the DVDs, books, soundtracks, etc.

The finale is perfect. You can tell Lynch knew he'd never have another shot at this and just went insane.

"It is Happening... Again."

Also Maddie's murder is more terrifying than anything else that comes from "Twin Peaks." Really freaked me out when I first watched.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

Ah I finished with Season 1 and I'm really liking this show. It's weird how it all seems so new to me, as I've never seen it before, yet it's all so familiar at the same time- almost as if it were the origin of so many various tv tropes and cliches that I've grown accustomed to over the years.

I'm loving the characters, and the businessman's daughter is just so smoking hot.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

A lot of other shows have either done an homage or referenced TP is some way...

The most obvious homage to Twin Peaks was Lisa's dream in 'Who Shot Mr. Burns?'

I always kind of thought MST3K missed out on a lot of Twin Peaks jokes...ya know..Mike Nelson and all....

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

aniero posted:

A lot of other shows have either done an homage or referenced TP is some way...

The most obvious homage to Twin Peaks was Lisa's dream in 'Who Shot Mr. Burns?'

I always kind of thought MST3K missed out on a lot of Twin Peaks jokes...ya know..Mike Nelson and all....

In 'The Final Sacrifice' (I think), Servo hums the theme song for a bit. So we get Twin Peaks AND Rowsdower.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Also Maddie's murder is more terrifying than anything else that comes from "Twin Peaks." Really freaked me out when I first watched.
This is the God's truth. It's so horrifying and yet so beautifully staged and just, like, interesting (there so much bizarre stuff leading up to it and a lot of symbolism around it), that it gets you involved with your head, heart, and gut, and....whoa. I've watched the series maybe around 10 times, and it still freaks me the gently caress out, more than anything else (fictional) I've ever seen on TV.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just wanted to warn fellow new viewers that for some reason, Season 2, Episode 18 is NOT included on CBS.com . However, it is available for free and completely legally on http://www.fancast.com/tv/Twin-Peaks/9367/full-episodes , along with all the other episodes EXCEPT the pilot.

Another warning: the short episode descriptions on Fancast contain some pretty crucial spoilers for certain episodes, so try not to look at them.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

In 'The Final Sacrifice' (I think), Servo hums the theme song for a bit. So we get Twin Peaks AND Rowsdower.

WOW! I never realized that! Gonna have to pop in Final Sacrifice tonight!

EDIT: I found on a torrent site the original script for how the series finale was originally written before David Lynch came back and changed the finale. Why anyone was pissed about what Lynch changed I'll never know cause that script is loving garbage!

aniero fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 9, 2009

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I swear if they went through the show and edited out every single Josie Packard scene, Twin Peaks would be a lot better. Yeah, she's really hot, but she's so loving boring.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Question: Cooper and Truman have referred to the "Bookhouse Boys" more than once, but I must have missed the original reference. Is that Twin Peaks slang for the cops? I noticed Big Ed was included as a Bookhouse Boy for the undercover operation at One-Eyed Jack's, so is it the cops and any of their civic-minded allies? Will this all be revealed later?

I missed this the first time as well. In one of the early episodes of season 1, Sheriff Truman tells Cooper that he, Ed and several other characters are part of a secret society called the "Bookhouse Boys" who fights the mysterious evil forces that have always plagued Twin Peaks.

Nobody ever talks about this again, but the bookhouse boys are mentioned casually several times, usually as an excuse to have some random character tag along.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
It's been quite a while since I last watched Twin Peaks so my memory on some of it is a little fuzzy. I really love the first season and the beginning and end of the second season. I really wish some of the characters didn't exist though. I didn't really care at all about Josie Packard's sub-plot or the woman with the eye patch.

I remember the episode where the one unconcious girl who escaped the murderer has a nightmare of Bob. The first time I watched that episode it was about 3 in the morning and it scared the poo poo out of me.

It should be noted that there's a game being made right now called Alan Wake that is very heavily inspired by Twin Peaks. The people who made it, Remedy, also had a lot of Twin Peaks references in both of their Max Payne games. There was even a TV show you could watch at certain points of both games that was a parody of Twin Peaks.

EDIT: Also, the guy who wrote the music for Twin Peaks is writing the soundtrack for Alan Wake.

Chip Cheezum fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 9, 2009

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

Ape Agitator posted:

Every time I rewatch the series, this is what I think. I really have a hard time thinking of a female cast that tops it just for pure looks. Madchen Amick has never looked better as far as I'm concerned.

Also, to the OP. You're going to get to a slow section eventually. Just power through it. The ending is worth it.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

oh wow, I didn't know that, looks like I'll have to check that game out after all.

So, I took some time last night and compare the original script for the series finale with the way that it was actually done and shot. It's incredible how different they are.

Now, for those that aren't read up on the Fire Walk With Me debacle, a lot of the actors were really pissed off at Lynch when he came back to direct the finale and ultimately changed it and made it what it was. Well, when it came time to make "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" some actors were "unavailable" like Kyle MacLaughlin and Lara Flynn Boyle. Well MacLaughlin later changed his mind which is why Agent Cooper does make a brief appearance in FWWM, but his initial refusal is why Agent Chet Desmond is shown investigating the murder of Theresa Banks, when in the show and Agent Cooper's autobiography stated that it was Cooper that investigated the Banks murder.

Here's what pisses me off: the original script is loving dumb. Really really dumb. I'm going to put the .pdf on my server and share it when I get a minute because when you read it you'll be shocked. Lynch saved the finale from becoming a loving joke, the actors should have praised him from saving them from the shame of how the end was originally written. And let me just say this, the very very end, the final scene, wasn't even changed that much.

I've tried to make this as spoiler free as possible, but please see Fire Walk With Me after you finish the series, it's pretty cool to see how Lynch sets up the introduction of Teresa Banks' ring in the finale of the series with Annie. watch her right arm...it's numb.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Jeez, for a second I thought this was about newly discovered Twin Peaks episodes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mangler103 posted:

Every time I rewatch the series, this is what I think. I really have a hard time thinking of a female cast that tops it just for pure looks. Madchen Amick has never looked better as far as I'm concerned.

Also, to the OP. You're going to get to a slow section eventually. Just power through it. The ending is worth it.

I already made it through the slow section -- after Laura's murderer was revealed in "Arbitrary Law" and before Windom Earle showed up and started acting like a cross between Hannibal Lecter and the Joker. I agree with everyone who disliked the Josie Packard, Nadine, and James and the older woman subplots. The show dragged so badly during those sequences that it actually became unpleasant to watch, kind of like Kate-centric episodes of Lost, for those who watch that. And of course, those episodes also featured Agent Cooper wearing flannel shirts and fishing vests like a local yokel. Interestingly enough, now that things have picked back up, Coop is back in his suit, tie, and trench coat, as he ought to be.

Two episodes left! Maybe I'll finish tonight. Unfortunately, I've called around, and none of the Blockbuster stores in my area carry Fire Walk With Me. This is going to be frustrating...

EDIT: SimonChris, thanks for the Bookhouse Boys explanation. I can't believe I missed that! I don't suppose you remember what episode that came from?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I love it when somebody new finds Twin Peaks. I don't remember how I stumbled across it, but I was absolutely obsessed for about two weeks. I made my girlfriend sit down and watch the first episode, and she said she hated it. Then she stole the Gold Box DVD set from my apartment and burned through them in a week and a half. I've loaned the set to a few other people, and they've all loved it. Agent Cooper is basically the greatest character in the history of anything.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

aniero posted:

Here's what pisses me off: the original script is loving dumb. Really really dumb. I'm going to put the .pdf on my server and share it when I get a minute because when you read it you'll be shocked. Lynch saved the finale from becoming a loving joke, the actors should have praised him from saving them from the shame of how the end was originally written. And let me just say this, the very very end, the final scene, wasn't even changed that much.

I don't know about the ending differences. I think the implications are VERY different. Big Spoilers: In the script, Coop/BOB stays cool, just squeezing the toothpaste. No reason to believe it's NOT Coop. The final version has him freaking the gently caress out with Truman and Doc Hayward on the other side of the door. After all that's gone on, do you think they wouldn't know something's up?

And, yeah, the final script is terrible. It's been a long time since reading it, but I recall A DEMON DENTIST or some dumb rear end thing.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
All of the Josie Packard stuff is worth it. Her death scene and especially the shot of the dresser are some of the most horrifying parts of the show, IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Pascallion posted:

All of the Josie Packard stuff is worth it. Her death scene and especially the shot of the dresser are some of the most horrifying parts of the show, IMO

To me, they're one of the weakest parts. It's like the other writers were like "Guys, people loving loved that midget and the scary old-hippy-looking guy. Let's throw them in for IMPLICATIONS of a SPOOKY sort.

And then the door knob thing is just dumb.

• Locked thread