Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Rabbit Hill posted:

Didn't David Lynch admit at one point that Lost Highway takes place in the Twin Peaks universe?

I've never heard that, it'd be kinda cool though

EDIT: I went back and watch Lost Highway....I could totally see that now.

aniero fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Can't believe I didn't know about these before. A series of Japanese commercials for Georgia canned coffee:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahJ7BCkeOzs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-wI_06bDA4&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDgQp__xaco&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS4H-aOdmzk&NR=1

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
So I just binged through the series and it was fantastic. I have a couple of questions though, why did Lucy shoot Cooper? Whats the deal with Cooper, Peter, and some other people with the shaky hands near the end of the series?

Werner-Boogle
Jan 23, 2009
Goddamit dude! SPOILERS PLEASE! I am only at the part where cooper gets shot and you go and loving ruin it! Jesus christ!

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Dude, it's OK, cause I'm pretty sure he hosed up who shot him anyway....

in all fairness you might not want to surf a forum about a TV show that's 2 decades off the air...I think the time limit on spoilers is kinda up..

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This thread was ideally meant for people just discovering the show, so most people have been cool about including spoiler tags.

Werner-Boogle, relax. Palmtree Panic didn't name the right character who shot Cooper, so don't worry about it.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

Wait... then who shot Cooper?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Be Depressive posted:

I swear if they went through the show and edited out every single Josie Packard scene, Twin Peaks would be a lot better. Yeah, she's really hot, but she's so loving boring.

I didn't mind Josie so much, and her subplot was far from the worst. However, I think we can all agree that the less we see of James, the better the episode is.

But if S2 (after the Laura Palmer killer reveal) was edited down to just Cooper / Wyndam Earle relevant scenes (which I quite liked, just as much as S1 tbqh), the series would be a true masterpiece in every sense of the word, instead of a brilliant but flawed gem of a show.

A silly blurb from Kyle Maclachlan that has no follow up as yet but is fun to speculate about : http://www.digitalspy.com/ustv/a160297/maclachlan-to-resurrect-twin-peaks.html

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

OK, I just saw the end, and I have to quote my dad upon seeing Fellowship of the Ring in the theater, not realizing it was the first part of a trilogy...

BULLSHIT!

Maybe I'll feel differently about it in the morning.

Yesssssss
Next, read A Song of Ice and Fire

Werner-Boogle posted:

Goddamit dude! SPOILERS PLEASE! I am only at the part where cooper gets shot and you go and loving ruin it! Jesus christ!

Heh, he totally hosed up on it (so while it's still a bit of a spoiler in that you now know it *wasn't* Lucy, it's not like she is a legitimate candidate anyway).

Palmtree Panic posted:

Wait... then who shot Cooper?

(padded for extra spoil-free goodness) Josie

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 2, 2010

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

Ahh... I hosed up the name...Maybe because Josie is the most boring character on the show but anyway...Why did she shoot Cooper then? I don't really understand her motivation to shoot him, so can someone please remind me why she did that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Palmtree Panic posted:

Ahh... I hosed up the name...Maybe because Josie is the most boring character on the show but anyway...Why did she shoot Cooper then? I don't really understand her motivation to shoot him, so can someone please remind me why she did that.

You should spoil more of your sentence, like so. Always surprising to me how people don't realize just how much can be given away with ostensibly innocuous words, and/or have terrible spoiler tag usage.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
Sorry to resurrect, but I just watched the pilot and started getting into this. This show was loving awesome!

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

Zero Karizma posted:

Sorry to resurrect, but I just watched the pilot and started getting into this. This show was loving awesome!

I envy you so much!! Enjoy the ride!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
God I loved Twin Peaks. I used to 'sperg out on that show before sperging was trendy.

Most TVIV viewers know at least a little about the show's bigger stars, like Kyle McLaughlin, Lara Flynn Boyle, and Sherilyn Fenn, all of whom had careers that ranged from ho-hum to so-so after Twin Peaks, McLaughlin probably being the most successful. But it's also interesting seeing some of the lessor known, random cast members pop up these days:

Grace Zabriske, aka Laura Palmer's crazy mom, has had a number of roles since, but most goons would know her as the (surprise!) crazy mother in Big Love.

The actress who played Lucy keeps popping up in commercials - she hasn't aged well, but that voice is unmistakable. There was one she was in just the other night that had me do a double-take.

The actor who played Bobby is now a featured player on the "Crash" series on Starz (it kind of sucks, worse than the lovely movie, but I was surprised to recognize him in the one episode I watched - he plays a similar character).

Big Ed, Everett McGill, was the lead in Lynch's The Straight Story in the late 90's.

And Machen Amick, who you would swear hasn't aged a day has been popping up in seemingly every other TV series made the last couple of years - off the top of my head she had starring guest roles in Californication, Gossip Girls, My Own Worst Enemy, Law and Order, CSI NY, and most recently Damages. There's more I'm sure. I could almost make a "Shelly" drinking game out of it.

I'm sure there are others, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. It's rare that a show makes such a deep impression on me that 20 years later I can still recognize otherwise minor actors from it, but that's Twin Peaks for you.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

aniero posted:

I envy you so much!! Enjoy the ride!

Its really an incredibly good show. Season 2 seems like its trying way too hard to go over the top, but its still really interesting. I'm like 5 episodes into the second season, is this going to turn to poo poo or is it pretty much just this level of crazy all the time? Because I'd be fine with the crazy option...

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Zero Karizma posted:

I'm like 5 episodes into the second season, is this going to turn to poo poo or is it pretty much just this level of crazy all the time? Because I'd be fine with the crazy option...

Don't get your hopes up :(

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I got completely bored with this show after the big mystery of who killed Laura was solved. Guh... is that even considered a spoiler? It just felt like they obviously couldn't drag that storyline on forever, and once it was wrapped up I felt like they were just spinning the wheels until the season was over.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Zero Karizma posted:

Its really an incredibly good show. Season 2 seems like its trying way too hard to go over the top, but its still really interesting. I'm like 5 episodes into the second season, is this going to turn to poo poo or is it pretty much just this level of crazy all the time? Because I'd be fine with the crazy option...

The good (i.e., main) plotline is pretty crazy, the rest of the plotlines vary from fairly wacky to outright painful, kim-bauer-and-a-mountain-lion level of annoying tedium. I'm looking at you, James S2 storyline.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

regulargonzalez posted:

The good (i.e., main) plotline is pretty crazy, the rest of the plotlines vary from fairly wacky to outright painful, kim-bauer-and-a-mountain-lion level of annoying tedium. I'm looking at you, James S2 storyline.

I'll agree with that, and the final episode is just downright bonkers (in a good way.) I also got a kick out of seeing a few famous faces in surprising places in season 2.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Zero Karizma posted:

None of it is pre-murder-reveal level. Some of it is just gently caress-a-doodle insane in the best Lynch tradition. Some of it is horribly painful. Anything involving Cooper is generally in the former, anything involving Lucy, James, Maddy, or Andy is generally in the latter, anything with Audrey, Donna, or Josie is a mixed bag of both.

There's a real weird turn with a bizzare villian, and you get to watch the show's writers heads explode almost in real time as behind the scenes Kyle MacLachlan 86'd a planned plot involving a romance with Audrey (the actress was 25 at the time, but playing an 18 year old) forcing them literally at the last minute to come up with new, separate "romance" plots for both. Said plots involved Heather Graham and Billy Zane and were so obviously shoehorned in they almost seemed like a separate show, although Grahams' character Annie figures pretty heavily in the finale (it was planned to have been Audrey, and if it was it would have been better, but that's neither here nor there now).

Is it worth watching? Absolutely. But it's almost a different show with the same characters compared to the short first season, which will never be equaled.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

I think this is the best summation of Twin Peaks I've ever read. I agree 100%

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Twin Peaks is really awesome but I like to imagine that the resolution of Laura Palmer's murder is the end of the show. It wraps up everything relatively nicely and although it removes the Lynchian weirdness it also solves a lot of the problems the show had afterwards.

Taylor Swift
Feb 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I watched Twin Peaks about two weeks ago, and I agree with most everyone in this thread in that it is without a doubt one of the best shows ever, second only to Six Feet Under (Which is the only TV show to date to make me :cry: like a little bitch)

Also, Sherilyn Fenn :fap:

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Reading and writing in this thread has kicked loose a lot of old memories. I used to be a real Twin Peaks nut back in the day - I was in the Army at the time, in the first Gulf War when it premiered, and when I finally re-aligned in the real world it was late 91 and half way through the second season.

DVR's, etc were of course unheard of then, but I did have a VCR in my room and a friend back home would mail me video tapes of each episode as she recorded them. It was like the world's slowest bittorrent client, for you young punks:) I've seen it many times since but I still have fond memories of watching it in the barracks while drinking with my buddies, none of whom had the slightest loving idea what was going on (neither did I at first, I think it took two full viewings of the series before I finally got it).

The same friend and I later went to see Fire Walk with Me opening day. Anyway, for years I was really in to trivia about the show, and kept up with rumors on newsgroups, some of which later turned out to be true, so here's a few:

Bravo, which ran a revival of Twin Peaks in the mid-90's, tried heroically to get Lynch and/or Mark Frost to restart the series. Eventually Lynch did film a few new scenes and special "log lady" intros for the episodes (he didn't do all of the latter) but nothing else came of it.

Twin Peaks was always planned to be a small town, population 5,100, but this was changed at the last minute at the request of ABC, who for whatever reason thought that was too small and would limit the shows scope. So they bumped it to 51,000+, and this accounts for a lot of oddities in the show, for example why the town even has a department store (an idea brought in with the population expansion) yet runs like a small town with a small town police department, has a visiting judge, etc. There's tons of little details that make more sense when you realize this.

From the very beginning it was planned that Agent Cooper and Audrey Horn would have a "will they/won't they" relationship - the show Moonlighting, which was still on the air at the time, saw skyrocketing ratings due to Bruce Willis/Cybil Shepard playing out a similar romance (never mind that when they finally did get together ratings plummeted), and network execs were keen to try to duplicate that. One reason the 25 year old Sheryln Fenn was cast in the role was so she could play an older ingenue type; her character was meant to be a college dropout visiting home to annoy her rich family.

One of the consequences of the population cap bump was that the network (or writers, it's unclear) decided that the younger characters could be in school and thus appeal to the younger demographic. Everyone thought 51,000 was still too small for a college setting, so they settled on high school. This ended up being a little ridiculous - the only actors who even remotely looked like they could be 18 were Lara Flynn Boyle and Madchen Amick (who both were 20) and the latter was portrayed as a dropout in any event. Still, they went with it, and it more or less worked, except:

Kyle MacLachlan was dating Lara Flynn Boyle throughout the show (this wasn't a secret, there were even press releases about it from ABC). There were persistent rumors that Boyle herself got MacLachlan to torpedo the planned romance with Audrey, whether out of personal jealousy or a (non) professional desire to keep Fenn out of the spotlight (from the start, Fenn and her famous cherry-stem scene were almost as popular as Cooper and his coffee) is unknown. What is a fact is that Kyle MacLachlan himself firmly refused to do any "romance" scenes involving his character and Fenn's, on the grounds that as portrayed in the show, Fenn's character was 18, in high school, and would not have been considered proper to date by a straight-arrow character like Cooper.

And of course he had a point, but it ended up throwing quite a bit of the show out of whack - instead of a season 2 "will they or won't they" plot with Audrey/Dale, they had to introduce two new characters (to an already large cast) who viewers weren't used to and didn't really care about. Instead of Audrey/Dale in the finale, we got Annie/Dale, and a completely irrelevant subplot involving Audrey, Pete, and the bank that literally went nowhere (it remains unresolved). Of all the things that happened to Twin Peaks, next to the constant time slot changes I think this is what really threw the show off track.

Both the log lady and the Black Lodge, two well known parts of Twin Peaks usually attributed to David Lynch, were actually the brainchild of co-producer Mark Frost. In the case of the log lady Frost, who hated "Eddie Explainers" (i.e. needless exposition) devised her as a way move the plot along without actually revealing anything, indeed making things even weirder.

This post is too long as it is - I'm drat near approaching 'sprerg territory - but if anyone is interested I'll keep going later.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

As dumb as the additional characters may be, MacLachlan was right. I can't imagine Dale Cooper in some sex scandal with a high school girl. It seemed like an odd "American Beauty-ish" tension every time the show tried to push for him and Audrey to get together.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Ixian posted:

This post is too long as it is - I'm drat near approaching 'sprerg territory - but if anyone is interested I'll keep going later.

Please do; I could read about Twin Peaks all day.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Me too. I discovered the show last fall and loved it (enough to start this thread, in fact!), and I'd love more insights from people who watched it at the time and kept up with news and rumors in the years since.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

Well.. I'm a few episodes past the murder reveal and WHAT THE gently caress? This is like Twin Peaks fan fiction written by an idiot who didn't get the series.

Its all good though. It's bonus time in Twin Peaks for me. But I'm marking it right next to Die Hard 4 as "something that passes the time, but is totally not an official part of the story in my mind."

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

IMO the movie and series finale make up for all the awful season 2 bullshit

ever wonder how lovely the fnale would have been had Lynch not stepped in and make it the crazy thing that it is? Well, then give this a read!

aniero posted:

Here's the finale script as it was originally written, unchanged by Lynch...

http://live.limitbreakradio.com/script29.pdf

I'd like to know what everyone thinks of this script vs the way Lynch re-did the ending

aniero fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 13, 2010

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
As a movie fan, I really liked Fire Walk With Me. It was batshit insane and probably didn't make sense even to Lynch, but it had it's own weird internal logic to it and a couple good performances so I rolled with it. This was an opinion I formed many years after it came out, and still hold today.

As a Twin Peaks fan, I hate Fire Walk With Me. It shits all over the characters (at least the ones who bothered to return) and stories, marginalized Cooper (at the actors request, granted), brought in a third-rate Donna replacement, and generally laughed in the face of the TV show fans. "Oh, you expected the movie to answer some questions the end of the show didn't? Well gently caress you TV show fans, this is my movie!" is the vibe I got off it.

When David Lynch is just being himself, and his natural weirdness just comes through on the screen, great things can happen. When David Lynch tries to be David Lynch, the results aren't nearly as good. The movie had too much of the latter and not enough of the former, if that makes any sense at all.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
That's why during "Fire Walk With Me" you're supposed to say "That's not Donna!" every time characters address her by name. And/or take a shot.

It's funny about the second season. When it was airing, it just seemed interminable: the Laura murder was solved, nothing particularing interesting was going on with the rest of the characters, James runs away, etc. It all was just pointless until Windom Earle came in and gave a proper villain to fight against.

At some point a bit after FWWM, a big group had a marathon of Twin Peaks over a couple of successive Saturday nights, watching the show in order and then ending up with FWWM. And again, the 2nd season just dragged.

After I picked up the complete set, I marathoned the show solo, usually watching after work. And this time the 2nd season didn't seem so bad. There still wasn't a lot going on, but it just didn't seem as annoying as it did originally.

So, uh, I dunno. :)

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

I actually think the movie answered quite a bit about the nature of BOB, MFAP and the rest of the Black Lodge inhabitants.

I completely understand why you would feel like that though, Ixian. I think the best example of Lynch really trying to be Lynchian weird is Inland Empire, which is a tough one for a lot of people to get into, but one that I really liked after a few viewings.

It seems like a cop-out, but I always have to remind myself that 3 movies were originally planned, so I don't think Lynch was necessarily making GBS threads on fans (though it's pretty well known that Lynch didn't like the way in which the characters changed in the hands of Frost/Engles), but was setting up the other 2 movies. So I look at it like an incomplete concept. I've always wondered what he/they had planned for the other 2 movies.

aniero fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 13, 2010

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

aniero posted:

I actually think the movie answered quite a bit about the nature of BOB, MFAP and the rest of the Black Lodge inhabitants.

I completely understand why you would feel like that though, Ixian. I think the best example of Lynch really trying to be Lynchian weird is Inland Empire, which is a tough one for a lot of people to get into, but one that I really liked after a few viewings.

It seems like a cop-out, but I always have to remind myself that 3 movies were originally planned, so I don't think Lynch was necessarily making GBS threads on fans (though it's pretty well known that Lynch didn't like the way in which the characters changed in the hands of Frost/Engles), but was setting up the other 2 movies. So I look at it like an incomplete concept. I've always wondered what he/they had planned for the other 2 movies.

This not to mention that Fire walk with me was originally (5?) hours long and had to be cut down.
There were scenes involving most of the town's characters that have never been released. Supposedly at least one scene occurred after the finale too.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Monagle posted:

This not to mention that Fire walk with me was originally (5?) hours long and had to be cut down.

That's a lot of missing Bowie...

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Season 2 had some promise in the latter half, with the owls and the woods and the major and whatnot, but they kept circling around it without deepening the mystery or tension until too late.

Also, I think on the show commentaries, they pretty much say that Lynch came up with the Log Lady character, but Frost put her in so she made sense.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I read somewhere that there was a push to continue Lynch's proposed ideas for the other Twin Peaks movies in comic book form, as canceled shows like Buffy and Angel have done. Some of these might have gone into detail about the "planet of creamed corn" where the Black Lodge inhabitants came from, and might have even ended with Cooper being rescued from the Lodge. Was there ever any confirmation of these ideas?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 14, 2010

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

I've heard that same rumor, I've also heard rumors of doing another movie with new actors. Who knows if anything will ever become of it. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That original finale script is just horrible. "I am about to cow you for your own mortification" is one of the worst lines I've ever read.

As for the comic idea, I believe it was actually a serious prospect at one point. An artist posted on a blog about how he got in touch with Robert Engels, who agreed to write it, and it got all the way up to the top with everyone's blessing including Frost's before Lynch axed it.

fake edit: here's the blog.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

There's also an off-the-cuff remark Kyle Maclachlan made about 9 months ago, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

aniero
Oct 11, 2009

I would imagine that the intellectual property is shared by Lynch and Frost so if Lynch says no then I'm pretty sure that's it.

I'd love to read that comic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I finally got around to watching Twin Peaks because of the game Deadly Premonition, and I agree with everyone else that the show really goes downhill after Laura Palmer's murder is solved. I think the show would have really benefited from having shorter seasons.

• Locked thread