Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

One thing to be aware of for the film is that the shooting script is much longer and makes the movie make much more sense -- especially the first half. Some of that is remedied to some degree with the recent re-release that features deleted scenes (though I haven't seen it personally, so can't comment on how much these scenes help and also they are not edited into film but are standalone scenes).

If you're really interested, I'd recommend searching for the script and reading through, makes things like the David Bowie scene make more sense.

Just read the script. It's interesting to read the final scene in which Doc Hayward and Truman find a possessed Cooper laughing on the bloody bathroom floor and still talking about brushing his teeth, finishing the scene from the finale also a greedy nurse in the emergency room taking Annie's Black-Lodge ring for herself, which will probably figure in some way in the plot of the third season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

crowoutofcontext posted:

Just read the script. It's interesting to read the final scene in which Doc Hayward and Truman find a possessed Cooper laughing on the bloody bathroom floor and still talking about brushing his teeth, finishing the scene from the finale also a greedy nurse in the emergency room taking Annie's Black-Lodge ring for herself, which will probably figure in some way in the plot of the third season.

Those are both included in Missing Pieces.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Just finished watching the show for the first time. loving hell.

Should I watch regular FWWM or Missing Pieces?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Elman posted:

Just finished watching the show for the first time. loving hell.

Should I watch regular FWWM or Missing Pieces?

Regular. It's harrowing in a singular way that doesn't need any other pieces (you can always watch them after).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Is there a legal way to watch Missing Pieces without buying the entire box set?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I just want Audrey and Cooper--thereal Cooper--to get coffee and pie together :(

I also want at least one scene of Coop and Harry bro-ing out together again.

Fake Edit: Who is a character that, from the pilot, you thought you were going to hate and ended up liking? Or vice versa?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I just want Audrey and Cooper--thereal Cooper--to get coffee and pie together :(

I also want at least one scene of Coop and Harry bro-ing out together again.

Fake Edit: Who is a character that, from the pilot, you thought you were going to hate and ended up liking? Or vice versa?

Albert Rosenfield - Did not show up in the pilot but early in the series and went from a super rear end in a top hat to super likable.

Bobby - Just seemed like a huge rear end in a top hat but there was more to him, and due to his dad and he was the one character who grew in season 2 he became not that bad.

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

Bobby, Mike, Major Briggs.
Mike is boring and annoying, especially with that hair, but I warmed up to him during the ridiculous Nadine subplot and felt bad for him at the end. And I always thought the major was a douche after he slapped Bobby for smoking, but then he had that scene with Bobby in the diner where he describes the dream he had to him, and my hate just dissolved.
On the other hand (Season 2 spoilers): I liked Catherine during S1 but then season 2 did all kinds of stupid things with her. Mr Tojamura ... urgh.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Is there a legal way to watch Missing Pieces without buying the entire box set?
I wish :(:hf::(

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of spoiler related questions Did Mike and Bobby sharing the same names as MIKE and BOB ever mean anything?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
One of the many red herrings.

4 The Cause
Aug 10, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 697 days!

Deakul posted:

She looks fine to me, she's definitely older that's about it?

She looks a lot better than the last time I saw her, and that was in person. I am glad I was wrong.

Abu Dave posted:

He meant Donna's actress I think.

The problem with Donna, is that she has had obvious cosmetic surgery and it seems very out of character for the bookish, shy girl that we saw on the show.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

4 The Cause posted:

The problem with Donna, is that she has had obvious cosmetic surgery and it seems very out of character for the bookish, shy girl that we saw on the show.

They'll slather on the makeup to hide the surgery and make her look naturally old. :ironicat:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Well I've gotten to the point that I'm starting to forget if I watched episodes or not, so must be the bad parts. Although now I'm deep enough into the soap drama to keep me going, and I still get a couple good chuckles out of the satire in each episode. I just watched the episode where James leaves whatsherface to go back with Donna and they introduce Windom Earle, so feels like things are about to pick up again.

EDIT: "J-A-G-...W... car."

Jehde fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 23, 2014

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

4 The Cause posted:

Moira Kelly was way better as Donna anyway in FWWM. Problem solved.

I'm looking forward to meeting Lucy's kid in the new season.

As for other people aging and looking older: this is what happens in real life, so I don't care. The actress who played Lucy for example now looks like somebody who could be the mother of a young adult, which is exactly what she is supposed to look like anyway.

Kyle MacLachlan? He looks like old Coop from Season 1, again which is exactly what he is supposed to look like anyway.

:dealwithit:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea the whole point of bringing the show back now is that 25 years have passed. It would be weird if the characters didn't look a lot older.

The list of characters I absolutely MUST see in at least one scene are as follows(leaving out BOB and Pete): obviously Cooper, Audrey, Bobby, Ed, Nadine, Dr. Jacoby, Gordon Cole, Lucy, Andy, Leland somehow, Sheriff Truman.

I'm fine with or without Donna. Her character never really did anything for me.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008
Speaking of BOB... this just showed up in my twitter feed. (Possible spoilers. Just saying.)

Wow Bob Wow: 10 Killer BOB Doppelgangers That Could Succeed Frank Silva In The New Twin Peaks

Mind you, it is a bitlot tongue-in-cheek, but some interesting ideas.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

InfiniteZero posted:

Kyle MacLachlan? He looks like old Coop from Season 1, again which is exactly what he is supposed to look like anyway.

Nah, Old Coop from Season 1 looks a lot older than Kyle MacLachlan.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

hockeyfrog posted:

Speaking of BOB... this just showed up in my twitter feed. (Possible spoilers. Just saying.)

Wow Bob Wow: 10 Killer BOB Doppelgangers That Could Succeed Frank Silva In The New Twin Peaks

Mind you, it is a bitlot tongue-in-cheek, but some interesting ideas.

Andrew w.k. please, with an extended murder scene set to Party Hard

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
I watched FWWM for the second time last night. Got a question:

I know the significance of the ring is debated but if it was seemingly good in the end, why did Coop tell Laura not to take the ring when he appeared to her in the dream?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm going through for the first time, I just got up to Andy sneaking off to the bathroom and getting caught by Lucy. They are the cutest :3:

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Started watching again for the first time in a few years. Enjoying it immensely, and i seem to be able to recite every word!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Holy poo poo David Duchovny out of nowhere!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Shoehead posted:

And you'll never be able to watch Californication or the X-Files the same way again.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

Shoehead posted:

Haha, I just finished watching this for the first time and that was one of my biggest 'holy poo poo' moments, along with that drawer knob bullshit.

Favourite moment of the second series however was Coop's penguin joke. I could watch him and Cole all day, they're the most adorable pair.

I have no idea what that last episode was about. I sat there completely baffled at the end. So much happened with so little payoff.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Creature posted:

I have no idea what that last episode was about. I sat there completely baffled at the end. So much happened with so little payoff.

Best episode of television ever aired.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

InfiniteZero posted:

And you'll never be able to watch Californication or the X-Files the same way again.

He actually looks pretty cute :gay:

So was Harold, there are too many cuties on this drat show.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I just finished the series last night, really fantastic stuff. You could argue the finale had too much weird Lynch poo poo, but it was kinda necessary. Now onto the movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Creature posted:

Watch the last episode of prisioner

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

it's Gaelic for "thy turkey is done"
When Coop grabs Truman's nose before Albert and his Team get there in episode 2, hehe.

Edit: I just finished the ep. HIS HAIR WHEN HE CALLS HARRY AHAHA. Too great.

Boss Man Bing fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 27, 2014

cosmosisjones
Oct 10, 2012

Just finished episode four. What the hell did I just watch?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just got to the bit with the Major just appearing in the living room. Him asking how long he'd been gone scared the poo poo out of me.

Edit: he's a Major not a Colonel!

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

Why is the opening to the show so unsettling, and why do I love everything about it so much? Why is this music so good?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I find the opening to be very comforting. It's way better than it has any right to be.

I finished FWWM, it's good but pretty different from the show.

hockeyfrog
Jun 11, 2008

Boss Man Bing posted:

Why is the opening to the show so unsettling, and why do I love everything about it so much? Why is this music so good?

I find it quite unnerving. My second go around of watching the show (vs when I was 10) I found myself actually having to mute it during the opening because I knew ultimately something like BOB was going to scare the hell out of me shortly after.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
There's a great interview with Badalamenti about writing the theme for the show on the DVDs (and presumably the new BluRay set). He had the chord progression as a rough sketch and Lynch told him to follow it up by imagining he saw a beautiful woman emerge from a forest. Badalamenti played it and Lynch loved it.

Badalamenti said he'd work on it, but Lynch said they were done.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 27, 2014

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

InfiniteZero posted:

There's a great interview with Badalamenti about writing the theme for the show on the DVDs (and presumably the new BluRay set). He had the chord progression as a rough sketch and Lynch told him to follow it up by imagining he saw a beautiful woman emerge from a forest. Badalamenti played it and Lynch loved it.

That was for writing Laura's theme, not the opening theme. But yeah, the way he describes that creative process with Lynch egging him on is just amazing.

Boss Man Bing
Sep 10, 2014

I want no interference from this hulking boob, is that clear?

Edit: Dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells. Wow this guy.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Boss Man Bing posted:

I want no interference from this hulking boob, is that clear?

Edit: Dolts, dunces, dullards and dumbbells. Wow this guy.

Albert is amazing. That role must have been fun as hell to play.

"I have travelled thousands of miles and apparently several centuries to this forgotten sinkhole to perform a series of tests. Now, I do not expect you to understand these tests -- I am not a cruel man -- I just ask you to get the hell out of my way so I can finish my work"

How the hell could anyone on that set get through that scene without laughing.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Creature posted:

Haha, I just finished watching this for the first time and that was one of my biggest 'holy poo poo' moments, along with that drawer knob bullshit.

Favourite moment of the second series however was Coop's penguin joke. I could watch him and Cole all day, they're the most adorable pair.

The payoff's coming in 2016. Have you never seen a show with a twenty-five year long cliffhanger before?

• Locked thread