Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Clap posted:

If any of you actually think David Lynch would start the first episode of Season 3 with some dumbass fan service title card saying "25 Years Later..." you haven't seen a David Lynch film. He likes to assume his audiences are much smarter than that.

Actually I think this is the most likely option and will definitely happen and I'm a David Lynch expert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Of course the 25 years later was a throwaway line but considering the timing of everything it would have been really cool to follow it.

Shows are allowed to take place at a different time from when they're filmed.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Party Boat posted:

And every episode give yourself a present.

FINE CUP OF COFFEE, COOP

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

SaviourX posted:

FINE CUP OF COFFEE, COOP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2j2-1V3Vw8

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

The Clap posted:

I have no idea why fans are tied to the 25 years thing - Lynch certainly isn't. It was probably a throwaway line in the original series anyway, it didn't have any serious bearing on the plot back then and today it's just a coincidence.

Well it wasn't just a throwaway line, didn't the 25 years aged Cooper show up again for key moments of Fire Walk With Me?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 18, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

Well it wasn't just a throwaway line, didn't the 25 years aged Cooped show up again for key moments of Fire Walk With Me?

Nah, he wasn't aged.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Neat artwork

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Baloogan posted:

Neat artwork

Gotta love that statue-boner.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

Well it wasn't just a throwaway line, didn't the 25 years aged Cooped show up again for key moments of Fire Walk With Me?

It was the original dream sequence in the second or third episode, he has some grey hair there, though I didn't really notice the first few times. I think in Laura's Diary she mentioned seeing an old man in her dream that's supposed to be Cooper.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He has pretty obvious old man makeup on. The real McLachlan has aged more gracefully.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012
That poster is gorgeous

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Well, I finally got my wife to sit down and watch the show with me, after she begrudgingly watched Mulholland Drive with me recently and ended up loving it, as I promised she would. She read The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer as a teenager, and watched Fire Walk With Me a few years ago, which I can't imagine would be a good introduction to the world of Twin Peaks for anyone. But now she's giving the show a chance and enjoying it, for the most part.

We're four episodes in, and after the second, she cracked me up by asking, completely seriously, "Is James supposed to be kind of... slow?"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Well, I finally got my wife to sit down and watch the show with me, after she begrudgingly watched Mulholland Drive with me recently and ended up loving it, as I promised she would. She read The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer as a teenager, and watched Fire Walk With Me a few years ago, which I can't imagine would be a good introduction to the world of Twin Peaks for anyone. But now she's giving the show a chance and enjoying it, for the most part.

We're four episodes in, and after the second, she cracked me up by asking, completely seriously, "Is James supposed to be kind of... slow?"

Doesn't he play Kendrick in A Few Good Men? I felt the same way, but maybe it's because I've seen that movie so much.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There's a line later in the series where Laura Palmer, on one of her tapes she records for Dr. Jacoby I believe, says James is "sweet...but SO DUMB", so I think that's absolutely the intention with the character.

Frankly I never really hated James myself and found all of the disdain for him hilariously hyperbolic.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Does anyone actually dislike James? I love that dopey twat, he just gets some awful plots in the second season that almost spoil episodes.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

James singing is one of my favorite moments in the show. It's a huge shame he got stuck with such a wretched plot in the second part of the show.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I kind of hated the James sub-plot in series 2 because I kept waiting for it to go somewhere and it never really did, but I think going in with that knowledge makes it a lot more bearable. It's a look into what happens when James goes off into the big wide world and has an adventure all of his own: something really stupid and pointless. That's our James!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

Does anyone actually dislike James? I love that dopey twat, he just gets some awful plots in the second season that almost spoil episodes.

I hated him. Disliked his character from the very beginning and only put up with him in season 1 because he was always tied in with interesting plots/characters. Once that went away in season 2 I have always fast forwarded through his stuff on rewatches.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Surlaw posted:

James singing is one of my favorite moments in the show. It's a huge shame he got stuck with such a wretched plot in the second part of the show.

I involuntarily cringe when that scene starts. How can you like that?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I involuntarily cringe when that scene starts. How can you like that?

It's wrong and off in the right ways and sums up the show as a whole: Surface appearance contradicting reality, melodramatic relationship trouble, the flimsy nature of identity, ghosts showing up to ruon everything. It draws you in by being funny/overwrought and then Bobs you upside the head.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah, that scene is very intentionally weird as gently caress.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

James and his weird cube face and terrible existence are all awful, I hate him.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I wonder if James was awful on purpose? There's at least one character just like him on most of the soap operas Twin Peaks is parodying.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Delsaber posted:

I wonder if James was awful on purpose? There's at least one character just like him on most of the soap operas Twin Peaks is parodying.

I agree with someone earlier in this thread who said James's solo plot should have just gone full Invitation To Love and become an insane Tim And Eric parody of soap operas.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Ok, so I just finished the first season and I really got to know... when do Cooper and Truman kiss and who initiates it? TIA

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Frostwerks posted:

Ok, so I just finished the first season and I really got to know... when do Cooper and Truman kiss and who initiates it? TIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDELk-M0Kxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnocaRl8HGI

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Frostwerks posted:

Sorry, Coop gets his heart broken when Truman and Albert get together following a heartfelt speech from the latter.

"I love you, Sheriff Truman."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quote-Unquote posted:

Sorry, Coop gets his heart broken when Truman and Albert get together following a heartfelt speech from the latter.

"I love you, Sheriff Truman."

I loved this moment :allears:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Delsaber posted:

I really believe his plot in Season 2 where he fixes up a car for that woman was parody. Maybe its just from watching the series a bunch of times but it really comes across as a parody of a typical soap-opera story, just with the main character's stupidity dialed up to 11.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 3, 2015

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Basebf555 posted:

I really believe his plot in Season 2 where he fixes up a car for that woman was parody. Maybe its just from watching the series a bunch of times but it really comes across as a parody of a typical soap-opera story, just with the main character's stupidity dialed up to 11.

There's definitely satire in it, but it's bad, boring satire.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Surlaw posted:

There's definitely satire in it, but it's bad, boring satire.

The latter half of Season 2 is clearly supposed to be tongue in cheek, but you just get overloaded by stuff that was originally supposed to be a nice break from the darker tone and it mostly ends up being a lot of "Jesus Christ why are you wasting my time with this bullshit"

So yeah, I agree

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Windom Earle was almost as bad as Invitation to James imho

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

He's a bad Batman '66 villain trying to fit into Blue Velvet directed by nobodies (and Diane Keaton) until the finale, when Lynch comes back and makes it work.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

I think he would have worked better had they not turned Cooper into a buffoon in the second season. As weird as his methods were in first season, at least he did investigating and ran down leads. First season Cooper would have known there was a microphone in the bonsai tree devised a way to lure Earle out.

That would have made for more compelling and fun television.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

EmmyOk posted:

He would have worked better if we didn't get all those scenes of him being a prancing 66 Batman villain.

Like, if we only saw the results of what he did, and maybe the footage of him in FBI custody, and the scene where he pretends to be an old friend of Donna's father, he would have at least felt threatening.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Like, if we only saw the results of what he did, and maybe the footage of him in FBI custody, and the scene where he pretends to be an old friend of Donna's father, he would have at least felt threatening.

That's exactly my feeling on it. He's initially described as having a mind like a diamond; cold, hard, and brilliant. What we got was very far from that, I was expecting a cold evil Cooper.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I love Windam Earle if only because of the scene where he dresses up as a god drat horse in one of the weirdest callbacks the show ever did.

Or at least, I'm assuming it's meant to parallel the scene where Mrs. Palmer sees a vision of a horse.

Scandalous Wench
Aug 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Raxivace posted:

I love Windam Earle if only because of the scene where he dresses up as a god drat horse in one of the weirdest callbacks the show ever did.

Or at least, I'm assuming it's meant to parallel the scene where Mrs. Palmer sees a vision of a horse.

I never made the connection, but in retrospect it makes sense. This is great.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I thought the horse was supposed to be Laura's horse who was killed from the Secret Diary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Chairman Capone posted:

I thought the horse was supposed to be Laura's horse who was killed from the Secret Diary.

I genuinely want to know, because that horse is the most puzzling aspect of Twin Peaks to me.

Like, everything else at least feels right on an aesthetic or emotional level, but man, I have no idea what's up with that horse.

• Locked thread