Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
As excited as I am about season 3, I'm wondering how the show will feel now that it's on Showtime. Now that it's on cable it'd be easy to make FWWM: The Series, but I'm while I'm almost certain it will be an overall darker show I hope there's plenty of time for the characters to just be their goofy selves.

Although honestly the three most disturbing things that stuck with me were all from the TV show (Maddie's death, Evil Laura screaming and coming towards Cooper in the Lodge, and that creepy shot of the Palmer's staircase in the pilot episode).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pure Heroin
May 9, 2016

by Cowcaster

Wild T posted:

As excited as I am about season 3, I'm wondering how the show will feel now that it's on Showtime. Now that it's on cable it'd be easy to make FWWM: The Series, but I'm while I'm almost certain it will be an overall darker show I hope there's plenty of time for the characters to just be their goofy selves.

Although honestly the three most disturbing things that stuck with me were all from the TV show (Maddie's death, Evil Laura screaming and coming towards Cooper in the Lodge, and that creepy shot of the Palmer's staircase in the pilot episode).

I feel confident that this will be Lynch's darkest project yet. His films have been getting progressively darker and nihilistic and I think Twin Peaks will continue the tradition. Lynch is not into cheap fan service. Going by set photos and spy reports a lot of the new season will take place outside of Twin Peaks and organized crime seems to be a major element. This is David Lynch on Showtime with no network tv restrictions.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

http://www.dallasnews.com/lifestyles/arts/headlines/20160511-dallas-actor-returns-to-twin-peaks.ece

Oh wow, Bowie was set to appear in the new season. Too bad.

Glad that Andy isn't going to cry his head off every-time he see's something dark according to this interview. I imagine the town has become a lot less innocent over the two and a half decades. I agree the show's going to be darker.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Log Lady intros were made post-FWWM, right? Just saw the one from 202 where she's like "what really is creamed corn? is it a symbol for something else?" and laughed my head off imagining it as a response to people who were confused about that section of the movie.

e: although it's far more likely it's a reference to the Meals on Wheels bit in the actual episode also I think the intros were made earlier than the 1993 I had read once look just shut up okay

e2: this scene is amazing.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 2, 2016

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
Haphazard googling shows me that Bravo started its re-ran Twin Peaks in summer of 1993. The intros were created for that re-run. FWWM came out in 1992.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Usually not into EU stuff in franchises but really excited about Mark Frost's novel that will preceed the new series and this image of a few pages just shows how meticulous they are being with their world building:.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

crowoutofcontext posted:

Usually not into EU stuff in franchises but really excited about Mark Frost's novel that will preceed the new series and this image of a few pages just shows how meticulous they are being with their world building:.

I wonder what the audio book release will be like.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

crowoutofcontext posted:

This is so close to the book I've been wildly fantasizing about for over ten years, I can't believe it. If its dimensions and paper quality are equal to a mid-80s larger size encyclopedia volume I will start to worry they are literally stealing my thoughts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jack Gladney posted:

It'll be Gordon Cole, yelling it to you over a recorded phone call.

Speaker phone, even.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Do I spy a tiny picture of young Windom Earle there?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So pumped for this! With Naomi Watts (Mulholland Drive) and Balthazar Getty (Lost Highway) in it too, plus Laura Dern, it's like a Lynch greatest hits. It's just missing Nic Cage...

I'm so ready for Lynch to be back. Got to see Blue Velvet on the big screen a couple weeks back too, that was very cool.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Why cookie Rocket posted:

This is so close to the book I've been wildly fantasizing about for over ten years, I can't believe it. If its dimensions and paper quality are equal to a mid-80s larger size encyclopedia volume I will start to worry they are literally stealing my thoughts.

Check out the book trailer. This is a thing of beauty that definitely meets wild fantasies. So great to see so much love and attention to detail is being poured into even the supplementary material, so psyched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kinf5ApBjmg&feature=youtu.be

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Oh man, that looks really cool!

Some of those pages looked fairly interesting, so now I'm wondering how they'll tie into the 2017 show.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool. Just watched this A Slice of Lynch thingy with David and some Peaks classics reminiscing about the show, might be linked earlier in this topic. Good stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTpqiA-KS7Y

There's a lot of interesting Lynch stuff on youtube, Pretty As A Picture - The Art of Lynch is a cool one, a feature length documentary talking about everything Lynch. During the making of Lost Highway.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
For those into such things, the soundtrack is being released on vinyl. On sale this Wednesday.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Groovin'! Angelo's music is definitely awesome and ahead of it's time for scores.

I've been rewatching Twin Peaks since this weekend, drat good! Been probably close to ten years since I've seen it, enjoyed the whole thing last time to some degree (even the nutty s2 stuff), though Lynch returning for the finale was a big return to form.

I don't rewatch TV series much, but this one just pulls you right back in so you have to keep watching. I love how in the fourth episode it got weird in a way I forgot about, when the seemingly normal Sheriff Truman is part of a secret society, and talks about how there's an ominous darkness out in the woods. Not that he's wrong, it just shows that things are extra crazy since he was presented as the straight arrow. Very cool stuff. In general it's pretty masterful how they keep sprinkling in little things about these characters that we might not have figured.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Messi cameo?

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/17/twin-peaks-audiobook-kyle-maclachlan-original-cast

Apparently a bunch of the old cast (and a few of the new) will be lending their voices to the audio-book which is really cool

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It's so pretty

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I'm sure it's been posted before, but I still love this clip from the Gold Box DVD where Badalamenti explains coming up with Laura's Theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgXLEM8MhJo

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

crowoutofcontext posted:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/17/twin-peaks-audiobook-kyle-maclachlan-original-cast

Apparently a bunch of the old cast (and a few of the new) will be lending their voices to the audio-book which is really cool

gently caress i now want the audio book and the actual book.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wow that's cool, Angelo and David are quite a team!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's so pretty

So that's the book? Did you get it early?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Why cookie Rocket posted:

So that's the book? Did you get it early?

No, that's the new vinyl re-release of the Season 1 soundtrack.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got my copy of the vinyl on Sat. It's really lovely

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Showtime reminding everyone that Badalementi involved in new series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHRARCb4APA

Geeeze Louiiise the picturesque atmospheric landscape footage, which I guess will be all that we are getting until a proper trailer, is so ridiculously gorgeous.

This show is going to be disturbingly beautiful.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I still can't believe we're getting a third season of Twin Peaks.

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

David Lynch's facebook page has been posting some interesting, short videos. The videos basically just consist of zooming in and out on a character sitting in a chair in the red room. He seems to be referencing his earlier work in these, with the squirrel lady and Henry from Eraserhead among the others.

https://www.facebook.com/davidlynchofficial/

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
From the "Why Didn't I Know This" dept: Charlotte Stewart, who was Betty Briggs in Twin Peaks and Mary X in Eraserhead was also Miss Beadle in Little House on the Prairie.She did Eraserhead while she was shooting Little House.

That's just...wow.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

From the "Why Didn't I Know This" dept: Charlotte Stewart, who was Betty Briggs in Twin Peaks and Mary X in Eraserhead was also Miss Beadle in Little House on the Prairie.She did Eraserhead while she was shooting Little House.

That's just...wow.

I never even knew Betty Briggs and Mary X were the same actress :aaaaa:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That reminds me of when I first realized Henry Spencer and Pete Martell were played by the same actor. Blew my mind.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

romanowski posted:

I never even knew Betty Briggs and Mary X were the same actress :aaaaa:

She's also in Tremors :allears:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's hard to believe we're going to have new Twin Peaks to watch in under a year... probably.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Raxivace posted:

That reminds me of when I first realized Henry Spencer and Pete Martell were played by the same actor. Blew my mind.

He's part of Frank's gang in Blue Velvet too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He's part of Frank's gang in Blue Velvet too.

He was also in Dune and Lost Highway.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Chairman Capone posted:

He was also in Dune and Lost Highway.

ya, lynch really likes to stay loyal to his crew of actors. you'll see the same faces over and over in his work.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's almost like having a theater troupe act out high production fever dreams.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Wow did not know that they were making this is the new series going to be a continuation? I only ask because Twin Peaks spoiler They say they'll see him again in 25 years and well it's been about 25 years

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Wow did not know that they were making this is the new series going to be a continuation? I only ask because Twin Peaks spoiler They say they'll see him again in 25 years and well it's been about 25 years

I don't know how many of the old threads they'll pick up given that important actors are dead or not in it but yes it will be more or less a continuation and not a reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

My big wonder is how they'll do the Killer BOB stuff with that actor gone

• Locked thread