Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

It's going to be strange seeing Twin Peaks set in the 2010's. I mean the police station equipped with flat-screen computers, the business people at meetings in The Great Northern tapping away at I-pads, ect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I always felt that the townspeople at least felt slight tremors when hideous things happened. Most notably toward the final episode several of the townspeople start having strange uncontrollable twitches in their left hands.

I think part of the magic of the show is seeing ordinary country-folk have to deal with/face the darkest of circumstances.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

DominoDancing posted:

It's just that Lara Flynn-Boyle went overboard with the plastic surgery.

Wonder if they would ask the more gracefully-aged Moira Kelly instead?

I forgot how drastic the change, if any, in acting between the film and the show was? I remember finding Donna's character much more interesting in the film, she was the only major sympathetic, earthy grounding character in a film filled with damaged and sadistic people. Her end of second-season subplots were incredibly dull.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

One thing to be aware of for the film is that the shooting script is much longer and makes the movie make much more sense -- especially the first half. Some of that is remedied to some degree with the recent re-release that features deleted scenes (though I haven't seen it personally, so can't comment on how much these scenes help and also they are not edited into film but are standalone scenes).

If you're really interested, I'd recommend searching for the script and reading through, makes things like the David Bowie scene make more sense.

Just read the script. It's interesting to read the final scene in which Doc Hayward and Truman find a possessed Cooper laughing on the bloody bathroom floor and still talking about brushing his teeth, finishing the scene from the finale also a greedy nurse in the emergency room taking Annie's Black-Lodge ring for herself, which will probably figure in some way in the plot of the third season.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Polo-Rican posted:

One thing that feels like it's missing from season 2 in general is good police work.

Yeah Coop should have gone back to his flawless S1 policing techniques like throwing stones into pales, or when worse comes to worse, consulting his dream diary for key evidence.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

The Windom Earl character only struck true to me when he was in the black lodge trying to procure a soul. In the forest playing the flute he just seemed far too cartoonish an campy even for TP. All the other T.P villains were multidimensional and its one of the things that made the show.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Yeah, I had the same thoughts about Leland's funeral. I understand how the town could still be in shock, mourning and disbelief but there is often also people who will erase or develop hatred toward the person they once loved who turned out to be hideous.

I loved the mystical/surreal elements but before the reveal they were directly twisted into an otherwise secular pot: sex abuse, rape, murder are so traumatic, stupid and senseless that they almost require an extraterrestrial exclamation. The characters even discuss this after Leland's death, the possibility that BOB is simply the perverse side of Leland which ruined his "good" side.

The mystical elements became a cause in-and-of themselves afterwards, Windom Earl's cartoonish psychology and motives were only explainable through magic and wizardry.

The simple truth is that David Lynch never planned to reveal the killer,nor to write the town's reaction. Like Dune, Twin Peaks is the result of artistic compromise. I still recommend people watch it to the last episode, which to me proves that in Lynch's control things will be amazing and powerful which is why I am so excited about season 3. It promises the exploration of Agent Cooper's dark side, as he had let that part of him be taken over.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014/12/01/heres-how-the-log-lady-returns-to-twin-peaks/

LOL, David Lynch has kept the original log lady's log in a safe, humidified area. That's commitment.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Slugworth posted:

Apologies if this has been asked and answered already, but I am trying to avoid spoilers for this decades old show and didn't wanna read through the whole thread.

When does this get weird? All cultural references to the show are of a paranormal slant, but I'm 5 episodes in and there's been a dream, and a strangely casual mention of magic in the woods. I'm having a real 'when are they gonna get to the fireworks factory?' moment here.

Remember, the owls are not what they seem.

Honesty, if you want an episode that is nearly completely steeped in the paranormal you will have to wait until the season finale of the second season.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Castle Radium posted:

It's a shame you have to wait till the finale to get a glimpse of how much more effective the character of Earle could've been under Lynch's direction. In fact it's interesting looking at the original script and seeing all the stuff Lynch took out - Earle originally has a long rambling speech when he's taking Annie into the woods which in the broadcast version is cut down to like three lines of dialogue, and it works so much better. If only they'd played him like that whole time, made his motivations seem more opaque and unknowable, instead of having him constantly jabbering away like a bad impersonation of Frank Gorshin as The Riddler.

Very true. Now that you mention it I do realize that the Earl I was expecting, a true unknowable Lynchian villian, was only perceivable in that last episode. Cutting his dialogue and long shots on his face would have been great.

crowoutofcontext fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 29, 2014

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I got "Laura Palmer's Diary" a novelty item written by Lynch's daughter for my girlfriend for Christmas. It's interesting but a bit difficult to take as canon, despite Frost and Lynch's introductions. Why?

- Maddy visits Laura and is introduced to Maddy when they are about 12-13. But in the show Maddy feels the need to formally introduce herself to Donna.

-It describes Bobby fatally shooting that drug-dealer from FWWM. Don't the police get their hands on the secret diary eventually and wouldn't that information lead to a murder investigation??

crowoutofcontext fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 5, 2015

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

http://www.digitalspy.ca/ustv/s260/...~p0KDALNKWMmNLW

This is a pretty recent and detailed post about the casting of the third season.

I hope they bring Hawk back. The fact that Lynch is directing every episode is a seal of quality for me.

The only thing I worry about is if they try to replace Angelo Badalamenti. But I suppose they could re-use all the themes from the original series.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Bolingbroke posted:

Question: are there any episodes in between Arbitrary Law and the final episode that contain a lot of important plot content or supernatural material? I've hit that point in my rewatch and I don't want to have to drag through the next run of episodes as I found them very, very dry the first time around. I don't enjoy a lot of this show's character drama (whereas I'm in the minority who loves the film). Am I missing any really excellent stuff (or appearances of the lodges) in that stretch or could I just skim through the episode summaries and then jump to the final episode? I remember there was some interesting stuff involving owls?

I was in the same boat as you last week re-watching the series, decided to be a completionist and watch everything.

The sad thing is there are a few great scenes in almost every late season 2 episode that I think are great TP moments, sandwiched between a shitload of really disposable stuff.

Some material from the top of my head:

Episode 20 begins with strange imagery and has Major Briggs appearing on a throne in a jungle and struggling to describe a supernatural experience.

Before that amazing humanizing scene with Bobby Briggs and his mother after the Major disappears.

Gordon Cole kissing Shelley.

Cooper blabbering nonsense about the wind in the trees and "the power of love" when he is being scrutinized by the FBI.

Harry Truman giving Cooper some home-made "green-tailed skunk" fishing bait for some reason gets me.

Ben Horne smoking cigars and quoting Shakespeare when watching old footage of his hotel.

Of course that is like a dozen moments out of several hours of slightly above mediocre television.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Surlaw posted:

The James plot is the only part of season 2 with no redeeming qualities, just skip those scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_MTjYkeSoE

Distraught James slamming his head against the jukebox in the dive bar while this song begins to play was pretty good as a stand-alone shot IMHO but other than that everything is so dull about that story-line.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

There is a part of the diary in which she lists the initials of all of the men she slept with. I spent far too long trying to match them all with actual character names. What is Dr.Jacoby's proper name?

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I remember being fairly uninterested by the first episode but was going through a Lynch-phase with a few friends, we were all hooked by the third and fourth episodes.

Just tell them straight-up that its a slow-go until than.

Or if you really want to go down the ol' subliminal seduction path have this projected on the wall and on loop every time you have a party: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGjUl2QbgrQv
Its the only way to get today's restless youth to pay attention to the golden oldies.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I think the delay is more of a logistical thing. They say they have all the S3 scripts ready but that contracts are taking a while. I'm sure the script might have called for a few actors who will be a bit stingy about contracts. I mean, maybe Michael Ontkean is not up for it anymore, or something. We haven't heard anything directly from him. That would put a stick in the wheel.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Bregor posted:

Parks and Peaks.

"Dr.Jacoby is, LITERALLY, the best therapist I have ever seen. I see him four times a week. "

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I'm in the "bargaining phase"

Hanging on to hope, firmly, like the jaws of an endangered pine weasel. :( :( :(

http://deadline.com/2015/04/david-lynch-twin-peaks-directing-showtime-1201404765/

Has anyone started a kick-starter thing? Maybe this is a cynical ploy for showtime/Lynch to fund its project via...

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I dunno, the SAVETWINPEAKS video makes me kinda hopeful. Lynch tweeted that he called the actors individually to inform them that he is not directing, they must know a little more about whats going on than the press and wouldn't be doing something like this if the situation is irreparable.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I wonder if all the interior set pieces for Twin Peaks still exist, or if any of the outdoor locations have become unrecognizable over the years. I could see Lynch demanding perfect clones of each set being reconstructed, down to relatively minor settings.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

For some reason all this star-wars reboot hype is making me lament the TP cancellation all the more. I don't feel goosebumps watching an aged Han Solo lumber through a spaceship, but watching a short trailer of an aged Cooper walk into the RR and order a coffee would just be jaw-dropping about now. :(

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/dana-ashbrook-david-lynch-fifty-fifty-direct-twin-peaks/

Apparently Lynch and Showtime are talking again about season 3. Not going to get my hopes up, but fingers crossed.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

One Million Laffs posted:

I think if Lynch told Ashbrook 50/50 there is a really good chance it is happening. You can't say anything more than 50/50 or it kind of fucks your negotiating power.

Yeah, come to think of it, the very fact that he's talking to cast members is a good sign.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Baloogan posted:

What do you think coffee means in Twin Peaks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8R6XxrYY8Q

It's Dale's undrinkable cup of coffee!

I always saw this scene as a sort of Buddhist realm of Hungry Ghosts/Tantalus's eternal punishment kind of deal.

Although Dale's love of coffee is comedic, he is a bit of a coffee addict, its the gift he yens for every day. In this timeless void of hell he can neither rid himself of the temptation by emptying the cup, nor can he drink it.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

News:

18 new episodes.

Mr.Badalamenti composing new soundtrack.

AMAZING.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I dunno, the giant isn't hanging with the demons in the black lodge in FWWM Think he's a bit different from the other lodge folks.

But yeah, its really hard to tell if the supernatural beings have mortal emotions like guilt and hope or if they are just abstracted forces with no sense of self indipendant fom the people they are connected with.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

If its 18 episodes written and directed by Lynch, it would be difficult to compare to the OS. He never directed or wrote a "filler" episode.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

YES. She is returning

http://moviehole.net/201590849looks-like-duchovnys-doing-twin-peaks-too

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Fish are not surreal. They just breathe water.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Has anyone seen the FWWM deleted scenes? I haven't watched them yet, but I was thinking of plowing through them in a day or two.

I enjoyed them more than I thought I would.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Ben trying to be good is the best disposable s2 side-plot in my opinion.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Raxivace posted:

I love the Civil War stuff.

I like to think of all of those weirder sideplots (Like Nadine losing her memory) being induced by BOB in some way, just to screw with everyone.

All those side-plots are character's going to extreme lengths to escape the consequences of their actions or lovely situations they are in. It's funny because the South's economy collapsed once it had to deal with the consequences of having a morally atrocious cornerstone(slavery) just as Ben's business begins to collapses because of its rotten core (sex-trafficking,gambling ect).

BOB is kind of like the collective demon the community has to believe in, or chooses to use in a hosed up symbiotic way, to assure that all their lovely decisions, from the atrocities of rape and incest to the mundane errors (naive, hasty marriages and myopic business decisions). I expect that a big part of the Cooper as BOB story-line would involve Cooper slowly realizing this. He is kind of the least escapist character of the show because he clearly blames nobody but himself for Caroline's death even when he has a psychopath to blame.

crowoutofcontext fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 3, 2015

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

...And on Father's Day I revisit possibly one of the most moving TP moments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjeCNnbVYAQ

A Father's responsibility and relationship to their child is one of the major over-riding themes of Twin Peaks , and we see some very complex and dark relationships explored through Leland and Ben Horne. Briggs and Doc Hayward are always a palette-cleanser, though a massive distant personal gap separates them from their children as well.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

The scenes at the park/lake are hilariously bright compared to the rest of the series, I think that's just what happens when you try to pass off California as the Pacific Northwest.

Never put my finger on it before, but now I realize why those scenes always came off as a bit off and out of place. Like the scene with Cooper and Annie on the boat. Not Twin Peaksy both visually and emotionally IMO.

Was Laura's funeral shot in California? That scene was also oddly bright and sunny IIRC

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

So apparently the new show won't air until 2017. Kind of expecting that after learning a few months ago that the deal hadn't even been signed. Plus it should be shot in the winter anyway.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Yeah I couldn't get psyched about the third season until I knew Badalamenti was on board. He's as important an element as Lynch directing, IMO

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

As well as the aforementioned "I'm Hurt Bad" my favorite tracks:

New Shoes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15IvsNf3CmE

Bookhouse Boys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVWEkfO07-c

Also love the "nostalgic version" of the title theme, the song that plays in the amazing scene where Ben Horne is muttering Shakespeare as he rewatches footage from his childhood.

Edit: OH here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiOaFbi20bc Pretty cheesy sounding in retrospect, but incredible in context and familiar with the melody.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Surlaw posted:

No one has sex with Cooper.

Nor the Log Lady, who seems fulfilled enough with her large piece of wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Anyone following the Twin Peaks Archive on Twitter? They're following the film crew. There's a pretty funny very mild spoiler in one of their tweets, regarding the name of a store in town.

It's making me somehow even more stoked for season three.

yeah, kinda strange to follow up on that incredibly minor S1 subplot with that business name. It gets me psyched to because I feel no matter how much fans theorize about what S3 Twin Peaks is going to be like its gonna be odd, surprising yet perfectly fitting.

• Locked thread