Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Fair warning that the movie is nothing at all like the show. I finally watched it last night. I didn't hate it, but I wouldn't say it's on the same level as the show, and it's far different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I love the soundtrack. It fits the show so perfectly, but it's great on its own merits too. I listen to it now and then.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

thedouche posted:

The song from the bar in FWWM owns.

That, the show theme, and Laura's theme are probably my three favorite tracks in the show/movie.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I always wondered about that. When Bob was inside Leland he didn't have total control all the time, or he at least chose to allow Leland to exercise some control some of the time.

If they had continued with the story I wonder if Cooper would have been aware of Bob's presence, or if Cooper is even in there at all anymore. His soul could have been completely consumed by Bob like he did to Earle.

In the film when Laura goes into the Lodge during one of her dream sequences Annie is there and says "The good Dale is trapped in the lodge and can't leave. Write it down in your journal." If I'm not mistaken the prevailing theory is that the Dale that is inhabited by Bob is the doppleganger of the actual Dale. The real Dale is being held in the lodge by the spirits there I guess. Presumably he'd have gotten out of there somehow during season three, but I guess we'll never know.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DZqGz_krNY

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
holy! poo poo!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I can understand those who are being apprehensive about it matching the originals, but at the same time it's David fuckin' Lynch. It will be crazy and entertaining even if it doesn't reach the quality of the original show.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Season 2 isn't so bad as long as you can keep the James from your mind

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Damo posted:

I've made it through the end of the Laura Palmer story line (no spoilers). Man, I love this show. drat good show! <Thumbs up>.

So far, barring a couple of weaker episodes and some weird shifts in characterization for a couple characters in the first episode (they seem to reel it back after the first episode oddly), the first part of season 2 is really pretty much as good as season 1 was. A few of the episodes are some of the best of the series. Man, I loved the opening scene of the first episode of season 2 so much, with the oblivious old man and his warm milk. I mean, there's never been anything like that on TV before has there? That about sums up why I love this show. It's so loving bizarre and moody, I really couldn't care less if it made no sense at all, or if everything was a red herring, and they never solved a single mystery. I just love the mood and the weirdness so much, I could watch the show just for that.

So, the show is supposed to start to suck real bad until the final episode apparently, which is disappointing. If the rest barring the finale is more like the Andy's Sperms parts than the Lynchian poo poo, that is really disappointing. Oh well, at least there's still the last episode and movie to look forward to. And the new series, of course.

Really, really loving excited for the new series now. I hope it's as baffling, weird, awkward, nonsensical, moody, and sheer batshit crazy as Twin Peaks has ever been.

Season 2 isn't as bad as people are saying. It's just nowhere near as great as season 1. Stick with it, if only because it gets quite good again late, and the final episode is as good as it gets.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Damo posted:

So, what exactly is going on in that scene anyway? You guys think that the townspeople can somehow psychically sense that something terrible has just happened and that is what floods them with emotion? That something being Maddy's death

Who is flooded with emotion that shouldn't be? Donna breaks down and starts crying but she's upset about Harold's death. The other towns people in there are just kinda going about their business except for Coop who looks thoughtful/confused about the Giant's warning. The only other person in that scene that looks sad or whatever is Bobby.

Well I guess the old waiter counts too but he's either a spirit or directly connected in some way with the Giant so he doesn't count.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

el oso posted:

I just have to say that I unironically love the "Just You & I" scene with James, Donna and Audrey. It's just perfectly in line with the whole aesthetic of the show.

It fits pretty well. And it's great because you completely relax given how ridiculous that scene seems and then bam, it's Bobert.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Polo-Rican posted:

s2e15 is the cliff where lots of people say Okay Enough and stop watching. In addition to the plot kind of falling apart by that point, the episode is directed by Diane Keaton and has a really ridiculous, odd visual style that turns lots of people off.

Probably, but who knows. That definitely seems like the "good" Leland, but yeah, the eyes are a mystery. Thinking back, you see Laura in the Lodge, and sometimes her eyes are milky and sometimes they aren't. So maybe milky eyes don't always equal doppleganger? The Dale in the real world doesn't have cloudy eyes and that's almost definitely a doppelganger. Maybe the eyes are just a literal symbol for a soul whose vision is clouded? Or maybe Bob can create multiple dopplegangers of whoever enters the lodge? Not sure if even David Lynch or Mark Frost could answer this one with confidence!

I didn't think that was good Leland at all in the lodge. It's got the doppleganger eyes and it grins and does this evil laugh when Dale's doppleganger runs into it between the curtains. They share like this maniacal smile/giggle. That Leland in the lodge is imo definitely his doppleganger.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I know Lynch didn't want to reveal the killer or at least not do so that early but that reveal sequence is one of the finest segments of TV ever done so I'd say it worked out ok. I watched the series for the first time last year and even at that point I was just absolutely blown away by the show but especially by that episode.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

The ring seems to be some sort of marker that the lodge spirits use to claim people, which is probably why The Man is said "with this ring, I thee wed". Its not clever or anything, he's just being a dick.

I took it from it that the other spirits were telling Bob to go out and get some garmonbozia for them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm still surprised he brought it back at all. David Lynch is almost 70 and TP is a pretty big undertaking

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So that's pretty much it then, no? Why would any of the actors want to stay on without Lynch? Moreover who cares if Lynch isn't directing it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

Money, my man.

Yeah I guess.

I'm not even going to bother watching if Lynch isn't involved. No point.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If Lynch really does want to do it and if Showtime really wants the show maybe they'll come crawling back to him and agree to give him what he needs. I want to believe :(

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I feel like the explanation could be simpler than that. Cooper is telling Laura from the future not to take the ring because Cooper knows how it turns out - Laura takes the ring and Bob/Leland kills her.

Perhaps Cooper thinks if Laura doesn't take the ring there that maybe she lives and everything turns out differently for everybody.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Dessel posted:

Sorry for replying to an old post, but the video is down and I reckon the scene at the end of the 20th episode was the one you're describing? Because I just finished it and the scene made me want to post in this thread. Because drat, it's pretty tame from an objective standpoint, but I got some serious goose bumps and proper shiver thanks to it. Like a negative braingasm. Jesus.

Also, Albert does rule.

Also, I thought the show was supposed to be kind of toeing the line whether there's supernatural stuff happening or not? Because even the first season had some scenes that - either there's an unreliable narrator/character pov or it's something we consider supernatural/aliens. Plenty of scenes that can't be explained.

Lynch leaves a lot unclear but I think it's pretty clear that supernatural stuff does happen in Twin Peaks. You have multiple sightings of the same supernatural character by different sources - many of whom are reliable. I think if Leland was the only one seeing BOB or if it was just Leland/Laura then we might have a case for the supernatural stuff just being all in that families' heads but Cooper not only sees BOB but physically enters the black lodge, and many different characters discuss/mention BOB. I can't think of a way to explain away all that as being other than supernatural. Too many independent witnesses to the same phenomenon.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

LLCoolJD posted:

This weekend, I finished watching the series for the first time. It's a strange and wonderful show, and I tucked into it like Ben Horne tucks into a baguette. A show full of meme-worthy material before internet memes were even a thing. Audrey Horne is a great viewer recruitment tool, but in the end I stayed for the strange David Lynch stuff. Also, Hawk is the man.

The focus on food in the show is great and hilarious. I especially love the cheese pig.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
If we're talking about good Twin Peaks music this is up there imo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bij6d-KU4aA

So rowdy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I finished Season one, and then predicted that Leland was the killer but I am finding little reason to continue watching Season 2. The politics of the saw mill fire / the brothel / everything else don't really interest me, and the show seems to have lost its magic.

Additionally, I read a lot of detective novels, and the use of "multiple personalities" as as a way of making your character appear perfectly innocent at certain times is a really cheap trick to create a villain.

Most agree that the show loses some luster after the reveal but I'd at least watch the finale if I were you.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm glad David Lynch told people to gently caress off and stop trying to spoil the new season. I hate the constant attempts to spoil poo poo that occurs with everything now. People can't just let alone they have to do everything they can to spoil new seasons of stuff before it even happens.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

Laura is actually very dull and is lucky James exists lest she be the most boring person in the series/film. Frankly the only reason anyone thinks she is uhmahhhhhhhhzing is because everyone in the show repeatedly says she is but nothing about her when we do meet her is good or interesting. Except for her dying.

Laura works best when she's mysterious and we don't know anything about her other than popular girl that may or may not have done coke and got murdered.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

She was a good character in Fire walk with me.

I liked the movie and her in it but I'm glad I didn't see the prequel before watching the original series. It's definitely better to see after you watch the series.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

If you like boring uninteresting people then sure. Like people have said the interesting stuff is everyone else's perception of her but anything just focussed on her was James-esque in interest level.

The prequel is still a good film though even though Laura isn't especially interesting

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

el oso posted:

Add Naomi Watts to the cast. This is going to be amazing, right?

Right??

Oh God please be right.

It should be. It's David Lynch. Whether it's good or bad it will be amazing and ridiculous.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm beyond pumped that the Horne brothers are still in it. They're so much fun.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Wow did not know that they were making this is the new series going to be a continuation? I only ask because Twin Peaks spoiler They say they'll see him again in 25 years and well it's been about 25 years

I don't know how many of the old threads they'll pick up given that important actors are dead or not in it but yes it will be more or less a continuation and not a reboot.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I love Twin Peaks but my favorite David Lynch thing still might be Dumbland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYHOQ6AQ3Rc

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Checked the fb feed today and there is a new promo and it's of David Lynch eating a donut. He's such a wonderful troll.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Raxivace posted:

Isn't Woody's character in No Country For Old Men actually based on his dad through pure coincidence?

It's got nothing to do with Woody's dad unless you think Cormac McCarthy wrote the novel knowing there would be a movie with Woody Harrelson playing the bounty hunter.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

wa27 posted:

He did say "pure coincidence".

With a question mark indicating he wasn't sure! Unless he was speaking rhetorically....

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

Its going to be very interesting to see how much fan service(for lack of a better term) there will be in this, and obviously my instincts would say none, because its Lynch.

I don't even really mean fan service in terms of blatant references necessarily, but for example, will there be some kind of central mystery that the characters are trying to solve like there was in the first season? Will the tone of the show be more like Fire Walk With Me or the original series? In a lot of ways I think this new season could end up getting a similar reception as Fire Walk With Me.

I hope there isn't any fan service. That type of stuff is always poo poo.

I'm pretty confident in Lynch though. The thing with Lynch is whether this is good or bad it will still be good. If it's good, awesome. If it's bad, it will still be loving nuts and hilarious because of Lynch. He never disappoints.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wish I could go back and relive what it was like to hate James and his stupid loving bike for the very first time.

Season 1 Leo is loving fantastic also.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Consummate Professional posted:

James just loves to gently caress

I hope he transforms into Bill Pullman suddenly in the new one with no explanation whatsoever

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I would make it but I know who I am and it'd just be a lot of photos of Chip Desmond and Coop.

The next OP should just be a giant gif of Jerry and Ben eating baguettes

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Luchadork posted:

So I finally started watching this. It's been on my list forever but I just never got around to it. I'm only through the pilot but I already feel like Cooper is my spirit animal. Obsession with trees, coffee. Talking to electronic devices.

You're in for a wild and wonderful ride my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I liked the first half of Lost Highway but it felt pretty weak once it got away from Bill Pullman and I wasn't a huge fan after that.

• Locked thread