Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

aniero posted:

I actually think the movie answered quite a bit about the nature of BOB, MFAP and the rest of the Black Lodge inhabitants.

I completely understand why you would feel like that though, Ixian. I think the best example of Lynch really trying to be Lynchian weird is Inland Empire, which is a tough one for a lot of people to get into, but one that I really liked after a few viewings.

It seems like a cop-out, but I always have to remind myself that 3 movies were originally planned, so I don't think Lynch was necessarily making GBS threads on fans (though it's pretty well known that Lynch didn't like the way in which the characters changed in the hands of Frost/Engles), but was setting up the other 2 movies. So I look at it like an incomplete concept. I've always wondered what he/they had planned for the other 2 movies.

This not to mention that Fire walk with me was originally (5?) hours long and had to be cut down.
There were scenes involving most of the town's characters that have never been released. Supposedly at least one scene occurred after the finale too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monagle
May 7, 2007

Tewratomeh posted:

I'm not sure that it "means" anything, but it was the last line of a poem Lynch made up for the show:

Through the darkness of future past,
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds:
Fire, walk with me.

The poem's recited in full at some point in the show, don't remember when or which episode. If I recall, the poem had some significance, but I don't remember what exactly.

I suppose that the "One chants out between two worlds" part signifies that Bob is involved with the murder of Laura Palmer. "Fire, Walk With Me" is found at the crime scene, Bob is "between two worlds" and he leaves that line behind. Or something like that.

I thought it was "one Chance out between two worlds

As in the door is only open to the black lodge at a certain time

And I've always seen the "fire, walk with me" part to be like "Suffering follows me wherever I go" or something to that affect.

Monagle
May 7, 2007

Friends Are Evil posted:

From what I've heard, the deleted scenes are being edited and compiled into a movie by David Lynch himself. Also, there's an epilogue at the end.

Seriously?
I thought Lynch refused to touch Fire Walk with Me because he doesn't like to touch a movie after it's finished.
Unless you mean the new footage is being edited together as it's own separate film?

Monagle
May 7, 2007

ElectricWizard posted:

If you love Badalamenti's soundtrack, you need some Bohren in your life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zl5vpy__dQ

They played a beautiful rendition of the Fire Walk With Me-theme when I saw them.

yeah when I found this band the first thing I thought was it sounds like twin peaks.

Their first album sounded like what you'd hear in the black lodge

Monagle
May 7, 2007

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The following actors have largely or entirely retired from acting, who knows if they'll come out of retirement:
Michael Ontkean (Harry)
Richard Beymer (Ben)
Eric da Re (Leo)
Harry Goaz (Andy)
Lara Flynn Boyle (Donna - (TV series))
Warren Frost (Dr Hayward)
Everett McGill (Big Ed)
Al Strobel (One-Armed Man)
Carel Struyken (the Giant)

Could have sworn i saw Ben's actor post a tweet that said hed want to return and He hopes his character didn't die in the finale

Otto von Ruthless posted:

My only advice would be don't force your way through the end of season two. It's not good, literally no one thinks it's good (except for the finale). You're gonna want to watch it the first time, but go ahead and space it out. You've got until 2016 after all.

Having just rewatched the second season. Theres still some decent stuff intermingled in the bad, though the bad is truly bad.
And while most people say the show sucks until the finale, I'd disagree and say the quality starts rising much sooner than that. Really after josie dies in the closest thing to a jump the shark scene this show has, the show manages to recover almost right away. Aside from the nonsensical assassin after harry plotline the show resurfaces pretty quick. The 3rd to last episode especially has some great sequences like the slow zoom out with cooper and annie and the ominous tone that begins and ends each scene

Monagle
May 7, 2007

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Both Frost and Lynch took their eyes off the ball. Both actually took time out during the filming and writing of S2 to do side projects, assuming they could come back. But the show had derailed before then and Lynch was back in time to film only the last episode. I was a fan of the series and watched when it was first broadcast but by the second half of S2 I was bored and irritated. Wyndom Earle was a cartoon villain and Billy Zane... :negative: It became a jumble of cliches at the end of S2 - until a cracking finale.

I was one of those fans who said "no S3, please" because I didn't want to see any more S2 crap, Evelyn, Little Nicky and the pine weasel. But if Lynch and Frost have control and Lynch is directing and S3 will be set now (not continuing the myriad old storylines) then I am up for S3. Bring it on! :)

Lynch shows up about 4-5 episodes before the end though as Gordon Cole, so he was obviously around starting some time before the finale.

Monagle
May 7, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

Not really, drat fine coffee is just drat fine coffee. Giving yourself a little something every day is a good idea. Tibet probably is the answer, and this IS a formica table and its colour is green.

If you want straight up paranormal, you want X-Files or Kolchak or something.

He'll Like Fire Walk With Me at least

Monagle
May 7, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

Are the deleted FWWM finished, like with ADR and soundtrack and color balancing etc.?

Yes.
Lynch put it all together as a separate feature

Monagle
May 7, 2007

Fyadophobic posted:

I've been trying to get some friends into the show in time to have someone watch the reboot with me, but so far it's been going poorly. I showed the pilot to a couple of friends and they were completely bored and off-put. It seems like they found it too weird to be palatable, but not weird enough to be interesting. And the fact that the pilot is the length of a movie doesn't help much, either.

Would it be better to get people hooked with a snappier episode than the pilot, or would showing episodes out of order damage the appeal of the show? The "I'm gonna make you watch it until you like it" approach really doesn't work with a show like Twin Peaks. Any tips or recommendations?

Maybe you could try an experiment and show them Fire Walk With me up until the actual moment we see Twin peaks.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Didn't lynch say that Lost Highway takes place in the same universe as twin peaks, and that the mystery man is related to the black lodge?

Monagle
May 7, 2007

Surlaw posted:

I liked all of them but honestly the film works better and is a lot more focused without most of them. There's a few I would have kept (all of the David Bowie stuff and the Palmer dinner scene)

Palmer dinner was a necessity IMO because we never actually see them happy together.

I think the ceiling fan scene should have stayed too because of how cool it was.

The other scenes are good, but either clash with the tone, are superfluous, or in the case of the post-S2 scenes would have made a lack of S3 much worse.

Monagle
May 7, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Apparently, Catherine Coulson, AKA The Log Lady, just died. RIP.

I wonder how this will affect shooting.

Have they actually begun filming yet? It would be nice if they have some footage of her as a farewell cameo

Monagle
May 7, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Pretty sure it's Mulholland Dr that is in the same universe as TP, not Lost Highway. Though it seems like a rather academic point anyway, can't imagine any crossover continuity between the two.

Its lost highway because supposedly the creepy guy is supposed to be another member of the black lodge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monagle
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I found Laura to be an incredibly compelling character in FWWM. Its tough to watch her interact with all the various people in her life as they all either fail to identify how serious her situation is, or purposely turn a blind eye because they don't want to deal with it. She tries to express herself but what's happening to her is so insane that she can't really do it properly, and towards the end she makes an almost conscious decision to give up, which is emotionally devastating to see. I thought Lee did really well with all of the heavy stuff she had to work with, her intensity is what carries the film.

Yeah, I've always seen it as the film shows the real Laura. I've hear people say all the time that laura was better before you get to know her and the more you find out the less interesting she is. But I disagree. She never was the person that is portrayed in the beginning of the show, and this isn't a case of watering down her character. She was a normal girl being abused and the fact that she didn't match up to "the legend" just shows that nobody really knew her, and how alone she really was.

• Locked thread