Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just finished the first season.

It was very good, and by the end, I was very intrigued by the story.

There was surprisingly little closure in the first season.

Two questions:

How much of this thread can I read, having only seen the first season?

Secondly, I've seen Twin Peaks Season 3 in some places, and some places have Season 2 in two parts. Are Season 3 and Season 2 Part 2 the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Tewratomeh posted:

- Leland's sudden wackiness. In the first season his emotional breakdowns were believable, but now they have him doing way out-of-character poo poo that's almost okay, but it goes a little past uncomfortable and straight into unintentionally funny, and not funny in a good way.

Mairzy doats and dozy doats and liddle lamzy divey
A kiddley divey too, wouldn't you?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I love when this thread gets a new post.

I just watched Inland Empire by David Lynch, it had a lot of the same themes as Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive. It was definitely the most difficult to grasp of his films. Non-linear is an understatement. It has Grace Zabriskie (Sarah Palmer) in it, and is truly horrifying. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're a hardcore Lynch fan. It took me 5 tries before I could get through the whole thing (3 hour run time), and was so confusing.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Dr_Amazing posted:

He's definitely my favorite character. I think one of my favorite scenes is the one where they're at the hospital and Nadine's husband explains how she lost her eye and they got together. It's this bizarre story and the whole time Albert has the perfect WTF look on his face.

Harry has to take him away from because Albert can't stop laughing :lol:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
^^ You may want to thumbnail that, since it breaks tables.

Apparently there is a chain of "breastaurants" -- a Hooters type chain -- that is called Twin Peaks. Obviously, the Twin Peaks referring to breasts. Just read about that today.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

bobkatt013 posted:

It was meant to be a season finale not series finale

This and
The owls were just vessels for Bob to inhabit while he wasn't in a human.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Does Fire Walk With Me presuppose any knowledge of the show past the reveal of Laura Palmer's killer? I'd like to watch the movie, but I have never watched anything past that and don't really intend to unless I rewatch the show some day.

You should watch the season finale, though, to see Lynch take the reins back and go crazy with the show. And yes, FWWM is very good.

hockeyfrog posted:

Oh SA, how you lead me down the rabbit hole starting with the "Things that scared you as a kid but probably shouldn't have" thread (I am glad to know that I was not the only one absolutely terrified by BOB...), which lead me to this thread today. I watched it when it first came out (I was around 9ish? Why on Earth did my parents let me watch it?)... tried to watch it last year and barely made it into the 2nd season before getting so genuinely freaked out I had to stop again. (drat you Lynch, how do you do that?)

I was thinking of restarting it again tonight as I read through the thread, until I was on Facebook, saw a friend's photo she posted.

Not sure I want to give it another go tonight now.

For what it's worth, even as an adult, Bob is one of the scariest villains ever. The scene where he crawls over the couch to go straight after Maddy is hard to watch, and of course, Maddy's slow murder is more unnerving than most things in R-rated movies. It blew my mind that this was on network TV over 20 years ago. And it's still a tough scene to re-watch.

Also, that dog is obviously from White Lodge.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 23, 2012

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh it still is but imagine someone who has never seen the show and how little sense it would make then. There are so many parts of the movie that you need to have seen the show to get or understand.
Fun fact:
It was a commercial hit in Japan for people who had never seen the show :lol:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Koalas March posted:

So I finally got around to watching Twin Peaks and I don't regret it. loving amazing.

If you want a little bit more, there's a Psych episode called "Dual Spires" that any TP junkie will love.

Only Psych episode I've ever watched. It is fantastic, not to mention has so many actors from the original Twin Peaks. It's an homage.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

The Merkinman posted:

Going to bump this thread for a completely unsubstantiated rumor from a website I'd never heard of:
Is David Lynch secretly bringing back Twin Peaks?

That's the best new I've ever heard.

Ever.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Dammit x 3. It'd be weird anyway, since all of the actors are 20 years older.

I just want Lynch to go back to TV or film, and cut out this ridiculous auto-tune music.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Just mentioning that the entire series is streaming for free on Hulu (NOT Hulu Plus!), for anyone who is intrigued and doesn't have Netflix.

I saw the rumors spread a few days ago and got really excited before Mark Frost debunked them. Cooper's final fate is my least-favorite part of the series (aside from all those bad episodes in the middle of Season 2), and I would love a chance to revisit the characters and give Coop the proper sendoff his character deserves.

It's not that I disliked the scenario-- it's that it was left unresolved, as a cliffhanger.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Get someone like Ben Templesmith or Mike Mignola to do any flashbacks or Black Lodge-related stuff and I'd be sold.

Incidentally, I got the second season over Xmas and I'm trying to get more people I know into the show. It's surprising how many people haven't heard of it these days, or just know it as 'the weird detective show'. Holding off on the s2 rewatch for the time being, but watching the end of s1, it struck me that there's an odd similarity between that and the end of s2: both of them have that scattershot 'throw as many cliffhangers at the viewer just in case' approach, and both of them involve Cooper in mortal peril - physical in the first season, spiritual in the second - with no indication of how - or if - he'll survive.

Well, I mean he is the loveable hero and protagonist... It only makes sense to use him for those situations, for maximum suspense.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Alaemon posted:

I'm currently watching the show for the first time. Just at the start of season 2.

Not that this is anything new, but the show really got under my skin in a weird way. It's not quite in the "I must marathon every episode back-to-back" mode. But it lingers with me. I watch it and then digest for a little while and find myself thinking about it more and more until I have to watch another episode.

And the music, boy, the music. I don't know what makes the music so addictive, but the main theme and Laura Palmer's theme just... stick with me.

The music is by Angelo Badalamenti and Julee Cruise... It's loving awesome. Don't worry, you're not alone. I still listen to my copy of "Original Music from the Works of David Lynch" like 3 times a week.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Alaemon posted:

I'm astounded by how creepy this show manages to be. It seems like its age should diminish its impact, but no dice. Characters' visions of BOB manage to be startling and unsettling.

In retrospect, I'm glad I never watched it when it first aired. As an eleven year-old, I wound up sleepless just from other kids describing the plots of horror movies to me. This would've been unbearable.

I'm also fascinated by (what I perceive to be) the legacy of the show. When I was in high school, Picket Fences was appointment viewing in my house. Although fairly different in tone, I don't know that it ever gets made unless Twin Peak went first. X-Files, too. Probably a host of other things just in the "Television can challenge viewers and still draw an audience" department.

How far are you into the show?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I also never skipped the opening credits. They were-- they are magnificent.

And that clip with Angelo talking about composing Laura's theme. I've seen it so many times, but it gives me chills every time. It's magical. Oh, to be a fly on the wall in a room with David Lynch and Angelo Badalementi.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Plastic Mick posted:

I give twin peaks a rewatch every few years when there's nothing on that interests me.
Nothing will ever touch me in the ways this show has.

Also, why is Nadine even a character?
I can kind of understand just chalking the superstrength up to general TP weirdness but the further I get through the more I realize she's essentially dead-weight in terms of the overarching story.
Is she there just to at weirdness for weirdness' sake or did I miss something all these years?

I really don't know. Definitely a weird and generally uninteresting character, but I guess she has to exist, and be sort of fragile and unstable, for the romance between Norma and Big Ed to have some drama to it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Re: your criticisms

Heather Graham wasn't supposed to be in the show, but Kyle McLachlan, who plays Dale Cooper, refused to hook up with Audrey-- who was supposed to serve Annie's place in the storyline-- because he said compromising Dale's values by hooking up with a teenager in high school, even though she was 18, was against his character. I believe he was right, but Annie did not make for a very... empathetic damsel in distress.

Also, pretty much everyone agrees that the episode after Leland dies sucks. I made my friend skip to the finale and just filled him in on what had happened in between, because some of it is so bad.
The finale and Fire Walk With Me are great, so you should watch them.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I absolutely love FWWM. It's a wonderful tale about a young teenager having to deal with rape and incest, and it is heart-wrenching. One of the problems with it is that it was supposed to be Part 1 of 3 films, but it got such bad reviews that the next two movies were canceled. Tarantino saw it and said he loved everything David Lynch had done but had finally "gone too far up his [Lynch's] own rear end".

I find this amusing, because Tarantino is really far into the asses of a bunch of other auteurs. I call him the Lady Gaga of film directing.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

regulargonzalez posted:

You simply must watch the two part finale. Directed by David Lynch (unlike most of S2) and it's some truly great stuff.

Wait, it's two parts?

Also, does anyone have the name of that Twin Peaks themed hip hop group?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Please spoiler tag some of that stuff.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Finish the series and Fire Walk With Me, the film, and that question, among others, will be answered.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Bown posted:

I'd like if he was shooting a new promo but the way that casting call is written is so sleazy that it doesn't feel like him. He can be kinda creepy but not like that.

That lends credence to the theory that its something done just for the advertising of the Blu-Ray collection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

regulargonzalez posted:

Pretty sure the drugs et al were an attempt to "run away" or avoid BOB, either in a literal sense or (bigger spoiler for things only hinted at in the series and more explicitly stated in the movie)to deal with the sexual abuse at the hands of her BOB-father. Laura was never possessed by Bob, just traumatized by the sexual and psychological abuse. The show in general is an extended metaphor for sexual abuse, I wouldn't try to find a logical throughline for BOB possession because in typical Lynch fashion, sometimes there isn't a logical path. I mean, there was something going on with Laura -- when Donna puts on her sweater or something (forget precisely what) at the club in FWWM, Laura freaks out ... and then when Donna later wears Laura's sunglasses, she kind of "acts" like Laura, being more of a "bad girl" (albeit a bad girl in the mode of the Pink Ladies from Grease)
^^This

And Laura died when she refused to let Bob take possession of her. He wanted her pain and sorrow-- the garmonbozia-- of which Laura had a great deal. She refused, and then in the end, doesn't the one-armed man slip her the ring that prevents possession? So Bob (as Leland) kills her out of frustration.

As for what Bob is, I don't think there's a definitive answer. He is a demon, who posses owls when he is not possessing people to cause and collect pain and sorrow. I always think about that scene with Harry, Cooper, Briggs, and Albert after Bob kills Leland. They wonder what Bob is? Is Leland just crazy? Is he really a demon? Is he on the loose now that he has released himself from Leland? Is he the embodiment of "the evil that men do"? Then Briggs quotes Hamlet -- "there's more to heaven and earth than is dreamt of in our philosophy", which leads me to believe that we are not supposed to have a definitive answer. I think the questions are more important than the answer.

Also, Ray Wise dropped a little spoiler. They did film new stuff for the Blu-Ray release. "Something special" or "something big" that "[he's] probably not supposed to talk about."

edit:

Here's the link
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/01/ray-wise-seemingly-confirms-new-twin-peaks-footage-shot-by-david-lynch/

escape artist fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 12, 2014

• Locked thread