Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I apologize if there has already been a Twin Peaks thread, but I looked through all the available TVIV pages (I don't have Archives) and didn't see one. I am discovering this show for the first time, courtesy of CBS.com, which has every episode available for free... except the pilot, which I had to find elsewhere. Yes, I realize this show is almost 20 years old and I am a late bloomer, but I never watched any of my favorite shows until after they ended (Buffy, Angel, Deadwood, Firefly, Rome) or caught up at least one season after they started (Lost, Arrested Development, Venture Bros., The Shield).

Those shows give you some examples of my taste. I love serialized shows with ensemble casts, overarching mysteries, plot twists, and character development moments that get revealed along the way. Basically, I love being sucked into a story with compelling characters and having no idea where it's going. And Twin Peaks must have been one of the first shows with this structure, way back in 1990 (when I don't recall anything else being good on TV). It's surprisingly DARK and WEIRD for network television back then. I'm sure it must have been critically acclaimed, but was it actually popular at the time?

Anyway, I'm three episodes in, and I'm hooked. I like David Lynch's theme of exposing the corruption and twisted secrets of supposedly idyllic American towns, as he did in Blue Velvet, but obviously Twin Peaks can take its time to develop. Some of it feels very soap opera-esque, and of course all of the high school students look like they're in their 20s and 30s. Was Sherilyn Fenn considered the big sex symbol or breakout star of the show? I've never seen her in anything else, but she is sultry and smoking here!

My favorite part of Twin Peaks is the interplay between quirky, dorky, brilliant FBI Agent Cooper (Kyle McLachlan) and quiet, competent, loyal Sheriff Harry S. Truman (Michael Ontkean). It would have been too much of a cliche for the writers to have them butt heads only to warm up to each other along the way, so I liked how they hit it off as buddy cops/partners from the beginning. Cooper seems like he would have been an influence on some of the current gimmicky TV detectives, as well as Fox Mulder from The X-Files.

Well, I just thought I'd get people reminiscing about the show, or possibly expose some potential new fans to it. If old viewers who have seen everything start talking about it, could I politely ask you to use spoiler boxes, or at least to avoid revealing key stuff? Somehow I've made it almost two decades without spoilers, and I'm enjoying getting addicted to a new (old) show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just bumping my thread back up to say I've made it about halfway into Season 2, with the surprisingly early revelation of Laura Palmer's killer. Wow, I hadn't seen that coming. I'm really stunned Lynch and Frost didn't tease viewers until the season/series finale, but somehow I suspect a lot of network interference went on behind the scenes. I read comic books, which often fall victim to "decompressed" storytelling where stories that could be told in an issue or two are dragged out over four- or six- or eight-issue arcs, and Season 2 definitely feels decompressed to me.

That said, I'm still enjoying the show. Agent Cooper is still The Man, and I love his interactions with Audrey Horne, Sheriff Truman, and the other local cops. Dickish Albert Rosenfield (Miguel Ferrer) was great fun to have around, as was the pleasant surprise of David Lynch as Cooper's boss Gordon Cole. The reveal of Laura's killer was creepy and well-played, and Ray Wise just acted circles around everyone else on the show this season. I should have suspected him earlier, as he's so good at playing villains.

Now that the main story arc seems to be concluded, it seems like the show is about to go off in some weird new directions. I'm sure it will be very different than what we've seen so far, but I remain on board for anything. The Season 2 soap opera/comic relief subplots aren't doing much for me, though. I can't stand Nadine and her stupid amnesia, Lucy's pregnancy dilemma, or Shelly and Bobby scheming through Leo's coma. Madchen Amick is gorgeous (why haven't I ever seen her in anything else?), but her character has had NOTHING to do this entire show.

Question: Cooper and Truman have referred to the "Bookhouse Boys" more than once, but I must have missed the original reference. Is that Twin Peaks slang for the cops? I noticed Big Ed was included as a Bookhouse Boy for the undercover operation at One-Eyed Jack's, so is it the cops and any of their civic-minded allies? Will this all be revealed later?

Oh, by the way, the pilot is definitely not on CBS.com. I had to track it down on Youtube in several segments, but at least all the other episodes are available for free. I don't mean to pigeonhole Twin Peaks, but since I missed the boat in 1990, I'd have to describe it to modern audiences as Northern Exposure meets Lost with a dash of X-Files. Accurate?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 6, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I just wanted to warn fellow new viewers that for some reason, Season 2, Episode 18 is NOT included on CBS.com . However, it is available for free and completely legally on http://www.fancast.com/tv/Twin-Peaks/9367/full-episodes , along with all the other episodes EXCEPT the pilot.

Another warning: the short episode descriptions on Fancast contain some pretty crucial spoilers for certain episodes, so try not to look at them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mangler103 posted:

Every time I rewatch the series, this is what I think. I really have a hard time thinking of a female cast that tops it just for pure looks. Madchen Amick has never looked better as far as I'm concerned.

Also, to the OP. You're going to get to a slow section eventually. Just power through it. The ending is worth it.

I already made it through the slow section -- after Laura's murderer was revealed in "Arbitrary Law" and before Windom Earle showed up and started acting like a cross between Hannibal Lecter and the Joker. I agree with everyone who disliked the Josie Packard, Nadine, and James and the older woman subplots. The show dragged so badly during those sequences that it actually became unpleasant to watch, kind of like Kate-centric episodes of Lost, for those who watch that. And of course, those episodes also featured Agent Cooper wearing flannel shirts and fishing vests like a local yokel. Interestingly enough, now that things have picked back up, Coop is back in his suit, tie, and trench coat, as he ought to be.

Two episodes left! Maybe I'll finish tonight. Unfortunately, I've called around, and none of the Blockbuster stores in my area carry Fire Walk With Me. This is going to be frustrating...

EDIT: SimonChris, thanks for the Bookhouse Boys explanation. I can't believe I missed that! I don't suppose you remember what episode that came from?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
OK, I just saw the end, and I have to quote my dad upon seeing Fellowship of the Ring in the theater, not realizing it was the first part of a trilogy...

BULLSHIT!

Maybe I'll feel differently about it in the morning.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

SimonChris posted:

I don't, but i googled it and it seems to be Episode 3 - "Rest in Pain". Also, it turns out the bookhouse boys even have their own Wikipedia page.

Well poo poo, I completely skipped this episode! I wondered why Cooper never followed through on telling Truman about his dream the next morning, and it was because I never saw this one. Laura Palmer's funeral, the explanation of the Bookhouse Boys, and even the third Renault brother that they referred to repeatedly but I didn't remember seeing. Hell, this was a key episode, so I'm glad I finally saw it.

I am left with one question, though. Who knocked out Dr. Jacoby the night Donna and James sneaked into his office while he was spying on Maddy in the bushes? Was that ever revealed?

EDIT: aniero, would you mind posting the original script for the finale somewhere (when you get a chance)? I'd love to read it and see the differences, now that I've given the finale a second viewing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 12, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I think my biggest complaints about the finale were that Pete and Audrey, two innocents and two of the more likeable characters, most likely died along with Andrew Packard, while Catherine, who was anything but innocent, seemed to get away scott-free.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just found this funny Twin Peaks parody from when Kyle MacLachlan hosted Saturday Night Live back in 1990. I wouldn't have gotten the jokes back then, but it was hilarious now that I've seen the show.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7o2ca_twin-peaks-parody-by-saturday-night_fun

Note Conan O'Brien as the non-speaking cop guarding Leo!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
drat! My library-borrowed copy of Fire Walk With Me keeps freezing and skipping, starting right around the time we're introduced to Agent Cooper in Philadelphia. There is no way I can watch the movie this way, and NONE of the local Blockbusters carry it either.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

egon_beeblebrox posted:

BOB is dead, so it'd be strange.

So is Pete Martell.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
This thread was ideally meant for people just discovering the show, so most people have been cool about including spoiler tags.

Werner-Boogle, relax. Palmtree Panic didn't name the right character who shot Cooper, so don't worry about it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Me too. I discovered the show last fall and loved it (enough to start this thread, in fact!), and I'd love more insights from people who watched it at the time and kept up with news and rumors in the years since.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I read somewhere that there was a push to continue Lynch's proposed ideas for the other Twin Peaks movies in comic book form, as canceled shows like Buffy and Angel have done. Some of these might have gone into detail about the "planet of creamed corn" where the Black Lodge inhabitants came from, and might have even ended with Cooper being rescued from the Lodge. Was there ever any confirmation of these ideas?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 14, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Reo posted:

My wife and I decided to watch this after playing that game that's loosely based on it,

What game is that? I stopped gaming after the SNES era, but I heard a while back about a game called Alan Wake that is kind of like a dark, cinematic RPG full of mysteries and puzzles, inspired by Twin Peaks and LOST. Is that the one? Is it as good as it sounds?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

.Ataraxia. posted:

So I just watched the pilot. And while I enjoyed it, I find it to be incredibly slow. Is the rest of the show this slow? Should I keep watching? I mean I can understand it being this slow because they are setting up the characters and what not, but if the rest of the episodes are this slow I don't think I can watch it.

You're right about the pilot containing lots of (necessary) exposition, but the rest of Season 1 and the first third of Season 2 are quite awesome. Special Agent Dale Cooper is the best character on the show by far, and he will have a lot more screen time in the episodes to come. Stick it out at least another episode or two, and you'll also encounter the great Albert Rosenfield. If you aren't won over by then, Twin Peaks just isn't for you.

Keep in mind there are some stupid, boring characters and pointless, meandering subplots along the way, but those don't start feeling oppressive until later in Season 2.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I read that David Lynch absolutely hated the idea of Cooper ditching his suit and trench coat and wearing flannel. It was a move Mark Frost did when Lynch left during the middle of Season 2, but by the end of the season when Lynch was more involved, he had Cooper back in his familiar clothes (which I greatly preferred as well).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Spiky Ooze posted:

So is it worth watching all of season 2? I kind of got bored with it some episodes in, probably not even half-way. I definitely saw the killer reveal but is there anything really awesome at the end of the series worth watching for?

YES. The middle of season 2, after the killer reveal, is universally reviled for good reason, but stick it out. The last episode and a half, I would say, are mind-blowing.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

ThriceBakedPotato posted:

Now on Netflix Streaming! Sorry to bump the old thread, just wouldn't want anyone lazy to miss the opportunity.

Despite the flaws, I can't stop thinking that it was 25 years ahead of it's time, and how some of the best shows in the last 10 years mimic it.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Twin_Peaks/70153408

Thanks for bumping the thread! Hopefully Netflix will help thousands of people discover the ahead-of-its-time awesomeness of Twin Peaks. PLEASE tell me they were able to include the pilot!

It really is amazing how many "quirky genius solving crimes" shows are on now, and how so many of those characters owe a debt to Special Agent Cooper. Even The X-Files probably would not have exploded if not for Twin Peaks' popularity a few years prior -- plus it introduced the world to David Duchovny.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I bought the Season 1 soundtrack CD (used on Amazon for like 89 cents) because I liked Badalamenti's moody, minimalist score so much. Apparently there's a separate Season 2 soundtrack that is longer, because Season 2 had a lot more unique cues and songs (the 1950s-sounding theme for Nadine, etc).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just so everyone knows, Peggy Lipton, who played Norma, has a famous, gorgeous, talented, and funny daughter: Rashida Jones of Parks and Recreation, The Office, and I Love You Man fame.

(Quincy Jones is Rashida's father.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

Want to know what's even more mind blowing? Eileen Hayward, Donna's mother (the one in the wheelchair) is played by Mary Jo Deschanel, mother of Bones and Zoeey Deschanel.

And even more mind-blowing than that: Zooey Deschanel and Rashida Jones are going to play lesbian lovers in an upcoming movie called My Idiot Brother, with Paul Rudd and Elizabeth Banks. The world is good.

Thank you for the link to the Deadly Premonition Let's Play, by the way. I'm not a gamer and I never even venture into that forum, but I've always been curious about that game, since it always gets compared to Twin Peaks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I was thrilled to find a dog-eared copy of The Autobiography of FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper: My Life, My Tapes at my public library, and I'm reading it now. It is written by Scott Frost and was released as "A Twin Peaks Book" like the Laura Palmer Diary (written by Jennifer Lynch), so I'm treating it as canon and not just a fanfic like so many of the licensed "extended universe" novels today.

I have to admit, it's wonderful spending a little more time with Dale Cooper and "listening" to him grow up, from the moment he got his first reel-to-reel tape recorder as a Christmas present. He was always earnest and a little naive (he was educated in Quaker schools and was an Eagle Scout), but it's hilarious to flash back to Coop's Haverford College days and have him talk about how insanely horny he is. Just like the show, I'm often surprised by how many sequences are quite funny. I strongly recommend any Twin Peaks fans to seek out this book. There are some used copies in the Amazon Marketplace, but check your public library catalogs just in case. You might be pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: The book is awesome. It takes you through Cooper's FBI training, his friendship with Windom Earle and his failure with Earle and his wife Caroline, his first meetings with Gordon Cole and Dennis Bryson, and the Teresa Banks investigation, and ends with him getting the assignment in Twin Peaks. Plus you get a lot of insight into Cooper's family and adolescence, his adventures and studies, his sexual history, and a lot more. If you loved the show, you can consider this as much a prequel as Fire Walk With Me!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 2, 2011

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I've been marathoning the last couple of days, and I just finished the episode where Laura's killer is revealed. I started it watching it because of Deadly Premonition, but Twin Peaks is far weirder than I had expected, and possibly weirder than Deadly Premonition itself.
Get ready for a real dip in quality now, minus a few random great moments, until the batshit-insane series finale.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The Triumphant posted:

Lynch's film Lost Highway takes place in the same universe and plays by similar rules and logic, so while I can't say it would help you understand anything (being pretty drat cryptic) it may flesh out the world more for you and give you some more tools and ideas to approach the show with.

Basically though I don't try to apply logic or consistency to the world. Just roll with what happens. It's what Coop would do.
What, seriously? I liked Lost Highway when I finally saw it a few years ago (before Twin Peaks), but I never had any inkling of a "shared universe" or continuity between Lynch's works. Where and how was this revealed?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

big business sloth posted:

I'm watching through for the first time. I'm pretty confused about what's going to happen after S2E8 or whichever one it is where Leland dies, and the killer is revealed. Does the show remain as good after this? I've noticed David Lynch isn't directing as often.

No, almost everyone in this thread will agree the show devolves after that point, when Lynch had left to direct Wild At Heart. There are still some good parts (Denise!), but until Lynch returns to write and direct the unforgettable finale, you'll see a lot of stuff ranging from boring (anything with Josie) to just plain awful (anything with James).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
It's drat near unanimous that the series gets BAD after the Laura Palmer storyline concludes. Life is short, and you have some really crummy storylines to slog through, but the series finale is pretty awesome if you can make it that far. Actually, if you're dead-set on skipping stuff, I might watch one episode before the finale, just to get caught up on the status quo with Windom Earle and everything else... but most of us stuck it out, and you might end up happy that you did.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

pill for your ills posted:

Also, the opening bit with Cooper and David Bowie is interesting. Seemingly inconsequential, but it sets up a lot about the world Cooper was navigating even before he went to Twin Peaks.

I loved the beginning of Fire Walk With Me, with Chris Isaak and Kiefer Sutherland making their way through the bizarro Twin Peaks -- an ugly town with a nasty sheriff, a dirty diner with horrible food and ugly waitresses. The David Bowie sequence blew my mind -- it gave you just enough background information to whet your appetite, but it raised even more questions than it answered, and left you on a cliffhanger.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
In a good way, I hope? Because I've seen much weirder stuff on Adult Swim, but hated it.

I just noticed the entire first season of The Killing is available on my cable On Demand package, for free. The central premise sounds similar to Twin Peaks, and I heard it started out solid but alienated fans by the end. I'm curious about giving it a chance. Any thoughts?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Occupation posted:

I just started to watch this show, and am up to episode 103. It's a great show, but it's very difficult for me to watch for extended periods of time. It just makes really incredibly uneasy and uncomfortable if I watch it for longer than an episode at a time.

That's everything David Lynch has ever made.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm a Lynch fan (although I prefer his more linear narratives like Twin Peaks), and it took me at least three attempts to make it through Inland Empire, back when it was streaming on Netflix. It's just an exhausting, draining experience, and a very unsettling one as well -- even by his standards. I think a Goon in a past thread compared it to being trapped in someone else's nonsensical nightmare, and that was a solid description.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Just mentioning that the entire series is streaming for free on Hulu (NOT Hulu Plus!), for anyone who is intrigued and doesn't have Netflix.

I saw the rumors spread a few days ago and got really excited before Mark Frost debunked them. Cooper's final fate is my least-favorite part of the series (aside from all those bad episodes in the middle of Season 2), and I would love a chance to revisit the characters and give Coop the proper sendoff his character deserves.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

escape artist posted:

It's not that I disliked the scenario-- it's that it was left unresolved, as a cliffhanger.

That's what I meant too. I hate to think of "what could have been."

I'd even love for Lynch to wrap up Twin Peaks as a graphic novel, ideally with an artist like Mike Allred to capture the actors' likenesses and the quirky weirdness of the show.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I highly recommend that soundtrack, especially for $5. Back when I first discovered Twin Peaks in late 2009, I bought a used copy of the CD on Amazon for something like $4, and I love it. I never sprang for the Season 2 soundtrack, though -- most of Badalamenti's haunting and jazzy pieces that I loved were on the first one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 28, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

thedouche posted:

While its not Twin Peaks, Fringe makes a lot of references to the show. It's streaming right now on Netflix. (The Twin Peaks thread lead me to Lost. The Lost thread lead me to Fringe. I love all three.)

You might have finally pushed me to watch Fringe, which is also streaming on Amazon Prime. I hear getting through the first season is a chore, which is why I've been dreading it. Was Twin Peaks just an influence, or are the references more overt?

I got into LOST before Twin Peaks, but loved both (despite both being uneven). When they were at their best, they were spot-on perfect.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

Relevant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgXLEM8MhJo
Just hearing how into his own music he gets makes me want to listen to all the music again.
God drat, that was cool. Thank you for posting that! I don't know why, but I always envisioned Angelo Badalamenti as very intimidating, impenetrable and mysterious, maybe a severe, tall, thin man who speaks mostly Italian, like a creepy, Lynchian version of Ennio Morricone. I have no idea why. But he seems so lovable in that video, and I got a real kick out of watching it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

I still find the first part of the movie amazing. The bizarro Twin Peaks is genius and I was laughing the entire first part just due to that.

I loved the bizarro Twin Peaks, and I wanted to see so much more of Chris Isaak, Kiefer Sutherland, and David Lynch being awesome, fun FBI agents. But the rest of the movie (except for the awesome David Bowie sequence) is just such a bummer, especially after watching the series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lycus posted:

I feel like I can get behind a reboot that strips out a lot of the sort of stuff that people didn't like in Season 2 and has mostly different characters. Maybe not make the main plot exactly the same, just the basic elements: mysterious murder and BOB. Other than that, depends on what actors they get.

A reboot would have the chance to go into more of the untouched/unexplored mythology: what happened to Chester Desmond after he disappeared, more with the meeting Agent Jeffries spied on, history of the Black and White Lodges, more of Gordon Cole's "blue rose" cases, and the final fate of Coop.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I always wished Lynch and Frost had made Audrey a college student who had returned home to Twin Peaks to help take care of her brother or something, not unlike Jeffrey Beaumont in Blue Velvet. That would have made it much easier to write her and Cooper as a romantic couple, and it's not like Audrey ever interacted much with the high school students (Laura, Donna, Bobby, Mike, etc).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

The only time she did was when Mike was working for her dad. Her returning to help with her brother would make a lot of sense since he needed help, and she could have gotten resentful. Even her connection with Laura was based off her brother/father, and not school.

It also would have made her scenes at One Eyed Jack's the slightest bit less creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
They need to cast Rashida Jones as Norma's daughter.

• Locked thread