Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Update worked perfectly for me, started it when I went to bed last night and this morning my WDTV was working fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Tivac posted:

Update worked perfectly for me, started it when I went to bed last night and this morning my WDTV was working fine.

Any new features worth upgrading from b-rad's firmware for?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

voltron posted:

Any new features worth upgrading from b-rad's firmware for?

No clue, I don't run b-rad's firmware and use my wdtv solely for streaming from serviio in the worlds most basic home theater setup. Sorry!

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
There's something called "Mac Sharing" now under Network Shares, but I couldn't get it to work, I'm sticking with NFS

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, you guys. I just solved two different but similar problems I've been having with my WDTV Live for literally years. It has plagued me across all firmware versions and multiple installs of Windows ever since I bought my first WDTV player and nobody on the WD forums have been able to help or even point me in the right direction. I just got ignored every time like a crazy person.

I have all my music, TV and movies on a network share. Seemingly at random, I'll get files that won't play and the WDTV says "can't play this file type" and to refer to the manual for a list of compatible files.

Other times, I'll have folders that will show up as empty, and the WDTV says "there is no media in this folder". It has driven me nuts for-goddamned-ever and I finally found out why it's happening. It comes down to two issues: Share permissions and Ownership.

Right click on your shared folder and go to Properties, then the Security tab. If you have the same problem as me, you might see some funky users under the "Group or user names" section. They don't appear in my screenshot because I removed them, but you'll take care of them later. Click the Advanced button for now.

Click the Owner tab and then the Edit button at the bottom.

You'll then want to select your current Windows user under Change owner to. Check the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects box, then hit Apply.

Once that is finished, you want to close all of the property dialog boxes and then right click on your shared folder again, and go to Properties again. Go back to the Security tab again, and then click Advanced again.

Now you want to stay on the Permissions tab and click Change Permissions

Now you'll want to remove any of those janky users I mentioned earlier, if they exist. They might appear as a big serial number. Leave only SYSTEM, your current user, Administrators, and Everyone. Make sure Everyone has either "read" or "read & execute" access (it's up to you how strict you want to make this). Giving Everyone read access will allow you to have anonymous network shares across different OS's and the WDTV won't require a password.

Once you are done, check the "Replace all child object permissions..." box and hit Apply.

Now you may need to unshare and re-share your network folder now, and reboot your WDTV for the changes to work, because the WDTV caches network settings and may not realize that permissions have changed.

As far as I can tell, this problem occurs because I sometimes move my external HDD (which contains my shared folders) between computers. I also drag/drop entire folders of media between drives, and I think ownership and permission values transfer along with them. Sometimes, folder permissions don't properly cascade down into subfolders and it's what causes the "no media in this folder" error. I believe the "can't play this file type" error is caused by the ownership issue.

I hope this helps others who have had the same problem as me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

New WDTV released yesterday called the WDTV Personal Edition. Practically the same hardware as the previous live stuff but with the following changes:

No more Netflix (??)
New Home screen
Miracast support for Android devices
SDK released

Price is still $99. The drop of Netflix seems baffling but previous WDTVs had Netflix DRM hardware in them so it's likely a cost cutting measure. The introduction of an SDK seems interesting but with the same hardware (No 5ghz WiFi, 10/100 Ethernet) at the same price point it just doesn't seem that appealing.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

FCKGW posted:

New WDTV released yesterday called the WDTV Personal Edition. Practically the same hardware as the previous live stuff but with the following changes:

No more Netflix (??)
New Home screen
Miracast support for Android devices
SDK released

Price is still $99. The drop of Netflix seems baffling but previous WDTVs had Netflix DRM hardware in them so it's likely a cost cutting measure. The introduction of an SDK seems interesting but with the same hardware (No 5ghz WiFi, 10/100 Ethernet) at the same price point it just doesn't seem that appealing.

Still $99 and they dropped Netflix? I'm thinking there are better options like Roku. Though I guess you could miracast netflix from your phone to the WDTV :rolleyes:

SB35 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 28, 2014

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
The operating system sucks on these things, I have to pull the cord every day or two due to a memory leak. I don't see a reason to bother with this in a world where you've got the FireTV, Roku and Plex. It's great that it plays local content but the hardware itself is pretty dated at this point too. I don't know how you release a media box that doesn't have Netflix and expect sales, that's pretty loving bizarre.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

The Gunslinger posted:

The operating system sucks on these things, I have to pull the cord every day or two due to a memory leak. I don't see a reason to bother with this in a world where you've got the FireTV, Roku and Plex. It's great that it plays local content but the hardware itself is pretty dated at this point too. I don't know how you release a media box that doesn't have Netflix and expect sales, that's pretty loving bizarre.

I'll have to remember to check uptime on mine later but barring any power outages, I leave mine on all the time with no issues. The biggest difference with me is that I only play local content. All Netflix/HBO-Go duties have been handed off to the Chromecast.

Now, I need to figure out a better way to play Amazon Video on my Chromecast, Apple TV 2, or WDTV.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

Netflix is getting more selective about the devices they let their service run on.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.
I've got a weird issue with my WDTV Live, wherein it can't browse the network shares on my NAS when any of the computers on my LAN are connected to a VPN. Any ideas what might be causing it? When there's no active VPN connections it works fine.

EDIT: I changed the NAS to be the Master Browser (disabled the service on the desktop PCs, enabled it on the NAS), and I can happily browse away from my WDTV Live box while the PCs are on VPNs.

modeski fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 10, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

All recent encodings seem to no longer work on my WDTVLiveHub. A mix of x265 encodings, something with AC2 audio, and occasional profile oddities with x264. VLC appears to shine through well. WD have stopped releasing firmware so what is the solution these days? Chromecast plays MKVs from OS X but AVIs are getting no joy.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Firetv or firetv stick with xbmc side loaded is what I've replaced my boxee and wdtv live with.

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Christobevii3 posted:

Firetv or firetv stick with xbmc side loaded is what I've replaced my boxee and wdtv live with.

What are they like with massive libraries? I have a poo poo-ton of media organised into folders, and I use WDTV Live's list view as the quickest/easiest way to scroll through. I don't have time to scroll through pages and pages of icons and in fact rolled back my firmware after a release seemed to gently caress that up. All I want is to be able to scroll through my folders quickly.

EDIT: VVV Excellent, thanks. I'll check out the FireTV.

modeski fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 7, 2014

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

modeski posted:

What are they like with massive libraries? I have a poo poo-ton of media organised into folders, and I use WDTV Live's list view as the quickest/easiest way to scroll through. I don't have time to scroll through pages and pages of icons and in fact rolled back my firmware after a release seemed to gently caress that up. All I want is to be able to scroll through my folders quickly.

The FireTV absolutely smokes the WDTV when it comes to UI/general responsiveness. Whilst one of the major selling point of XMBC is its library scraping you can still just point it at your root directory in a list view and browse through your folders the same as the WDTV - just faster and more customizable.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
My WDTV Live just stopped being able to connect to my network shares. I've reset it to factory defaults. Made sure that it was updated to lately firmware. Reset network settings. It can connect to YouTube and other internet things.

Media servers shows the two computers I have on the network, but I don't have them set up as media servers (not sure how) so WDTV returns that it can't find any media.

Network shares - I've always played movies with this option. Now I select it and I hit "ok" and nothing happens, it doesn't appear to be trying to connect to anything.

Everything works, except the 'Network shares', anyone else have this problem? It just randomly stopped working one day, I didn't change anything.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Fozzy The Bear posted:

My WDTV Live just stopped being able to connect to my network shares. I've reset it to factory defaults. Made sure that it was updated to lately firmware. Reset network settings. It can connect to YouTube and other internet things.

Media servers shows the two computers I have on the network, but I don't have them set up as media servers (not sure how) so WDTV returns that it can't find any media.

Network shares - I've always played movies with this option. Now I select it and I hit "ok" and nothing happens, it doesn't appear to be trying to connect to anything.

Everything works, except the 'Network shares', anyone else have this problem? It just randomly stopped working one day, I didn't change anything.

I've never been able to get mine to connect to them properly.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Acer Pilot posted:

I've never been able to get mine to connect to them properly.

I installed Plex, seems to be working ok.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mine randomly loses connections to network shares.
Changing the home group name on the computers and the wdtv itself always seems to fix it.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Mine works through Plex flawlessly, never had a problem if you want to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

I changed the Master Browser computer on my network to be my NAS which is on 24/7, that fixed the same problem for me.

• Locked thread