Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slanderer
May 6, 2007
So, this thread has been inactive for a while, but instead of making a new thread, I'll post this here:

It seems that Western Digital has made a new version of the WDTV live!

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?s=d6cd3e89e51bdd50ccab78e723c1c257&p=43462434&postcount=13

Wifi, a remote with more than 3 buttons, HDMI 1.4, and an improved UI, and I'm not sure what else. Like the WDTV Live Plus, it supports Netflix, too.

Although it hasn't been officially announced yet, you can apparently already buy one. I got one at Best Buy an hour ago after reading a thread started about it earlier today on the official forums (I just got a WDTV Live Plus last week, which I'll now be returning...). It was good I had the SKU for it when I went to the store, since they were able to see that they had them in stock. They had to search the store for it, since it was just tossed on a self somewhere earlier today.

Good news for new buyers, perhaps bad news for continuing updates of the firmware for current devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Anyone else have problems with Netflix on it? Every so often, it claims my account is deactivated, forcing me to veeeeeeeeery slowly enter in my info again (why the hell the UI is so unresponsive, anywaY?). I figure it might actually be my netflix account, since it stopped claiming I had any devices registered months back....

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Wait, it recognizes USB keyboards? I thought that it might, at least as a left over feature from development / integral component of the OS, but I didn't even bother trying!

But the problem with the UI isn't just the password screen, it's just a general "lag", combined with a pretty slow max rate of moving from item to item.

But just now, I tried using my official remote instead of my Logitech Harmony. Looks life that was the source of some the lag, but overall, the UI is still sluggish. At least in my opinion.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I think I have the WD TV Live Streaming, although it wasn't called that when I got it (the drat day it came out). It still won't play a lot of my mkv packaged stuff, though, for whatever reason...

• Locked thread