Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

My WD Live constantly looses the network share(wired over cat6 through a switch) and it takes random re-bootings of it and my host computer and futzing around with IP addresses to get it to see it again.
What am I doing wrong? It will work fine for weeks at a time then suddenly for no reason not be able to see the host. Or it will randomly start asking for a username/password.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It seems like it either will work as seeing the computer as a media server, or as a network share, but only one or the other. If one way works the other doesn't and it changes randomly. I'd prefer it to work all the time with the network share so the thumbnails work but for now it's stuck in server mode.
I'm going to try and flash the b-rad firmware that is floating around it looks like it solves alot of the factory bugs.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Drizzt01 posted:

Turn on netbios on the computer you are streaming from. (Windows 7 only turns it on if it detects a legacy device) I would only have the file browser show up sometimes also, after I turned that on it shows up every time.

It had been working for a few weeks again, but stopped the other day for no reason.
I turned the netbios on and BAM! works perfectly now.
Thanks for the tip:hfive:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Push the option button and change the view to thumbnail view instead of list view and it should display whatever the folder.jpg is in the folder.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

rivetz posted:

EDIT: Is it possible that this is related to me sharing these mkvs via media server and not via network share? For some stupid reason the WDTV won't see my PC in network shares but will see it as a media server. I've double-checked/updated codecs on the server multiple times, no dice.
Mine will play certain things only in network share mode. It would randomly stop recognizing it and I would have to use the media share mode, and then it would start working again.

I installed the B-Rad firmware and it hasn't been a problem since.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

I have had strange network problems like this since the day I bought my WDTV Live a few years ago, despite upgrading the firmware. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes certain configurations work better than others, sometimes not. I really have no idea why network shares are so finicky. Right now it won't even show my media PC in the list. I have to use a usb stick and manually transfer videos back and forth from my PC to the WDTV Live like a goddamn caveman. I want to upgrade to the newest WDTV Live Streaming so I can use netflix, but I'm worried about similar networking issues.

You can try installing the custom firmware WDLXTV which has better detection of Windows shares: http://wdlxtv.com/wdlxtv-live/. I might do this tonight myself.
I had nothing but problems with shares randomly disappearing. Since I upgraded to the WDLXTV firmware it will still have a problem occasionally but rebooting the host computer fixes it.
Plus it looks a whole lot nicer than the vanilla firmware.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Have you guys complaining about the problems tried the b-rad firm ware?
I had nothing but problems with streaming and it randomly losing the connection to the host computer until I loaded the firmware.
Plus I changed the look of my wallpaper and browser and screen saver to less ugly things.
It takes like 5 mins to stick it on a flash drive and load it up.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Looks like this:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cowcatcher posted:

/\/\/\ For gords sake man, change your custom title

I tried it a few months ago, installed it, couldn't get it to boot, reverted back. It doesn't cleanly revert since it screwed up the text on the bottom of the loading screen (I get two messages one over the other).

Is the new version stable? What are the main features?

I don't think there has actually been a new version released in some time. The forums that support it are pretty good about figuring out issues if you give them enough info.

I never had a problem with it booting up, just stick the files on a usb stick and shove it in the back and it works.

I don't use all of the features it supports like movie sheets and the ability to use bit-torrent on it or the ftp stuff, it adds tons more functionality to the box.

I mostly started using it because my shares would randomly disappear and it would take a dance of restarting the box, restart the host computer, restart the box, etc... to get them to show back up again. Now it just works all the time.
Oh and I use a custom theme/wallpaper/screen saver so it doesn't look so ugly.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

The WD works the same way it'll just play what's in the folder till the last one.
You can set it up to have it stream a playlist from windows media player on a computer networked to it.
But sounds like you don't have it networked so not really an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mine randomly loses connections to network shares.
Changing the home group name on the computers and the wdtv itself always seems to fix it.

• Locked thread