Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Does anyone know how the WD TV Live Streaming (the newest model from that Wiki article) compares to the Boxee or running XBMC on an HTPC? I primarily want to be able to run Netflix and play a large media library (over 600 movies) via Samba from a Linux server. devmd01, I see you were replacing your WD TV with a Boxee. Any reason you are choosing it over this? I know some people were complaining that the UI seemed sluggish. I had a similar experience using the Boxee software running on a PC until they discontinued it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I ended up getting the WD TV Live Streaming and so far I like it a lot. I tried playing 10 different HD movies in x264 (using MKV as a container), ranging from 720p to 1080p and it played all but one perfectly. The audio in one of the movies wasn't playing, but I didn't play around with it much. I also setup Netflix quickly and it works really nicely. The UI on the WD TV is nice looking, if not simplistic compared to the Boxee. I haven't had a chance to play around with the meta-data features via the media library, but I'm sure Boxee is superior as you are suggesting. It's funny that you mention you manage over 4,000 computers because I manage computers in IT as well and I've gotten tired of dicking around with XBMC to make it integrate perfectly. Sickbeard has extra functionality with XBMC for example, to send notifications. I had it setup so SabNZBD would run a SickBeard script whenever processing NZBs from the TV category. I'm sick of dicking around with HTPC though, especially after work. We'll see how the WD TV Live handles.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I haven't had any network issues or problems with shares on my WD TV Live. I think there was 1 video h.264 HD movie (MKV) I had where the audio didn't play, but everything else has played. I've probably played 100s of videos at this point with no problems. I'm using an Ubuntu server with Samba to create shares and I have Sickbeard and SABnzbd to download files. I did have a problem with Netflix where the login credentials would be lost and you'd have to re-enter them every time, but WD fixed that in a firmware patch a few months ago. This is with the WDTV Live Streaming. Compared to spending all day configuring XBMC and dicking around with the Boxee UI, the WDTV Live has worked great. Boxee definitely has it beat in the UI and automated library organization.

• Locked thread