Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Got one of these for Christmas, and set it up today.

My experiences so far:
  • got shafted on the USB WLAN compatibility: Linksys WUSB100 is supported, but not the hardware revision sold in Europe. Had to get another stick: this one works, albeit not being in the official list
  • flaky Youtube support: video playback works, but logging in with my account crashes the box every time First I was using my profile name, using the xy@gmail.com adress I registered the account with fixed this
  • every single one of these crashes requires fumbling around for several minutes with a bent paper clip, pulling the power, removing the WLAN USB device until the box randomly decides to come up again
  • anamorphic h264 mkvs were initially played back incorrectly, i.e people having "eggheads". Upgrading to the latest firmware fixed that.
  • with DVDs in ISO containers over SMB, DVD menus are ignored. The first track is played, after that you get the file explorer again

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

but luckily some one already has custom firmware out for it here: http://b-rad.cc/1000/wdtv-live-homebrew-firmware-development/
After putting custom firmwares on an NSLU2 and an WRT54GL respectively, I'd love to try this out as well. Alas, rapidshare seems to hate me. Is there another way to get the latest release? got it

kyuss fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jan 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

See my post for that:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3221900&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post371230503

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

tronik posted:

WD released new firmware today (1.01.24) that fixes all of the youtube problems. I can now log in to my existing youtube accoun without the player crashing! :chord:

Had to fiddle again with the reset button to get it to boot after the update. The new Youtube support seems like a huge improvement though.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Debian + Samba, gentlemen.

:smugdog:

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

New firmware is out: 1.02.21

Now I can't access my samba share anymore. This is bullshit.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

kyuss posted:

New firmware is out: 1.02.21

Now I can't access my samba share anymore. This is bullshit.

Turns out it was my own fault. I like the new video preview feature, and flv playback seems to have improved.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

veonenergee posted:

I just tried this, drive name is WDTVdrive. It says "Invalid file mode: WDTVdrive" after I type in the chmod command. Any idea what that means? Is that referring to the file system?

If I'm not mistaken, you are trying to access your drive by its name, which is not the way Unix (and MacOS) works. Instead, you have to refer to it by its mount point, like

code:
(sudo) chmod 777 /mnt/nameofyourwdtvdrive/
1. Use sudo if you get a "no permission" error, no idea how MacOS behaves here
2. To see the actual name under which your drive is mounted, look in the /mnt/ directory.

See also the man page for chmod: http://ss64.com/bash/chmod.html

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

That's weird. Maybe its got something todo with this guys problem:

quote:

Basically, by default, Ubuntu mounts all FAT32 partitions as root:root with permissions 770 (rwxrwx---). If you want to be able to have some software work okay with it, you're going to need to set up your /etc/fstab to mount it as root:root with permissions 777.

Basically, open your /etc/fstab as root (back it up first, naturally) and under the partition you're having trouble with change "umask=007" to "umask=0".

Then either restart the system, or unmount and re-mount the partition.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-213803.html

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

From my experience, NTFS access is considerably slower on low-end embedded systems. Check with "top", the NTFS driver will be maxing out your CPU.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Anyone having problems with a/v desync? This is with the latest official firmware.

edit: this seems to happen with SAMBA shares and a local USB pendrive, changing it to Mediatomb (UPnP) fixed the problem.

kyuss fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 23, 2011

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Is there a way to reliably play full ISO images of DVDs?
My WDTV live seems to ignore everything but the main feature, so I'm missing out on the DVD's menu, subtitling, different audio tracks and such.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

bilperkins2 posted:

Is there any way to access this over the internet (i.e. NOT local)? I sometimes want to add files to it when I'm not at home. I know it'll be slow but the files aren't big and it's less annoying than putting them on a stick and bringing them home to copy locally.

After installing that custom firmware, you should be able to access it with SSH / SCP easily enough.
Set an an appropriate rule in your router, register with a dynamic DNS provider and you should be set.

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

Unblock-Us isn't a DNS service but a VPN service. That means for every service provider you appear like a genuine US citizen (because of a genuine US IP adress).

Now obviously, if a WDTV device detects the country its running in by your public (VPN endpoint) IP adress, you are out of luck.

(There might be a way to make the WDTV bypass the VPN tunnel, so it appears with your Australian IP adress, unless the VPN tunnel is established directly by your router.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kyuss
Nov 6, 2004

BIFF! posted:

I've had this same problem recently and some of the MKVs don't play the audio. I rolled back to like 4 different firmwares and, although the loading is faster, a lot of the MKVs still don't play audio. Anyone know anything else I can try?

Try remuxing your MKVs with the mkvtoolnix utilities.
I remember having to do this myself and it helped.

• Locked thread