Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Horizontal Tree posted:

You've basically said what I've said about my Func. I'm now on a Mionix Naos and... its not the same. I want the Func back. I'm tempted to buy a "Revision 2" or whatever MS-3 and see if its really fixed...

My first Func scroll wheel got used to jump, after stripping to blow it out with canned air got too much of a pain. I managed to pick a "Revision 2" ex test model of Ebay. all good so far!!! If you were a uk goon I would send you my old one for the cable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The plastic cover on the receiver on my G602 broke. Do I have any good options? Worse, I'm in India for the next 11 days.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
Contact customer care.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
Reading over the last few pages of this thread. My beloved G9x is on it's last legs and I'm looking at replacements. The 502s is looking more and more like a good choice, even if it's a tad expensive. I'm mostly interested in ergonomics and durability, with just a couple extra buttons for my thumb for voice-chat, alt-fire and the like (I'm not really fond of mapping buttons I use frequently or have to hold down to shift and ctrl). Quick DPI selection is also nice but not necessarily mandatory. Is it safe to say that the 502s is worth the money? Are there any other somewhat cheaper alternatives I should consider?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

To everyone who liked the G9x I have the same recommendation: look at the Corsair M40 (now M45). It's optical (better sensor than the G9x, which like all laser mice I've seen reviewed had acceleration problems), similar size and, in a broad sense, shape. The M40 has gone under $30 on sale so you should be able to find one cheaper than a G502. It doesn't have the same features and the scroll wheel starts a little chunky but after some use it's stiff but reasonable. I'm not too familiar with Corsair's RMA procedure but my impression of their customer service is "better than Razer, not as good as Logitech."

The software is pretty good with features and I haven't had any annoyances with it, and you can store profiles on the mouse if you use different computers or OSes.

The m65 has a sniper button and the m95 is laser if you prefer that. Both are more expensive than the M45, haven't priced them recently enough to compare to the G502.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
While this is slightly off topic, I didn't see a mouse pad thread, which we don't really need to have it's own thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a mouse pad or if that poo poo really matters at all? I have one that's well worn the gently caress out, and is sliding around all the time, and was just curious if there was anything that really mattered in a mouse pad or if I should get something that won't slide around very much when I use my mouse?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

SpookyLizard posted:

While this is slightly off topic, I didn't see a mouse pad thread, which we don't really need to have it's own thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a mouse pad or if that poo poo really matters at all? I have one that's well worn the gently caress out, and is sliding around all the time, and was just curious if there was anything that really mattered in a mouse pad or if I should get something that won't slide around very much when I use my mouse?

Shampoo and throughly rinse the top, wash the bottom, let it dry for a few days in the sun, presto, good as new.

Well, not always, I usually have to rinse and dry a few times before it gets all the soap out. But basically, if it does what you need it to do, it's usually the best to stick with a similar mouse pad -- it all boils down to preference. It doesn't matter if it has super thick or wafer-thin hard plastic, is made of glass or has wrist rests, or glows at night to help you see, if your arm feels uncomfortable using it.

Note that some types of mouse pad don't work so well with certain mice. I used basic cloth mouse pads for a long time, then I started using my drawing tablet as a mouse mat, and though my G1 is very happy on it my new-fangled G100s and SteelSeries Kinzu v2 aren't 100% responsive on the thing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

If you like a cloth mousepad, I highly recommend the SteelSeries mats. They're not obscenely priced, come in a variety of sizes, and I've had them work well with both laser and optical mice. They're also comfortable on your wrist if you have a lazy grip like I do.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

SpookyLizard posted:

I like the Steelseries QCK mats. They they are made out of a foam-like material that is very easy to clean, doesn't get sticky and if you use a QCK Mass it is thick enough to cover up minor gaps in the surface if for example your Ikea desk has two segments. They're also optically subdued being black with just the white steelseries logo in the corner, so you don't have some gaudy thing sitting there.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
For mouse pads, I use the Corsair MM600. The "precision" side tracks very well for all the mice I've tried it with (Logitech G500/G502/G600), it's very solidly built, and looks quite nice too (without the garish aesthetic that plagues so many "gamer" products). I liked it so much that I bought two of them.

In normal mouse-related matters, I have to once again sing the praises of Logitech support. I bought the G502 but used it as my work laptop mouse due to the initial lack of OS X support. After LGS on OS X got updated, I wanted to use it on my workstation, but keeping it in my backpack lead to the braided cable coming undone and preventing the cord from being able to be straightened. Contacted support, sent them a picture of the cord and one of the receipt, and they shipped me a new mouse.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I liked my MM600, but after about a year of use the centre area of the precision side is worn to the point where it is painfully bad to track on. The outside rim still feels like it used to, which is fantastically good. I'll probably need a new pad soon which isn't good for one I paid like $50 for (Aussie prices).

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

If you feel like spending a lot on a mouse pad I think Artisan pads are the best quality out there, bar none.

Main site: http://www.artisan-jp.com/all_eng.html
Where to buy them: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_pc?ie=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Artisan&node=541966
A guide to deciphering their models: http://www.overclock.net/t/1321688/artisan-mousepad-review

You can safely ignore the Engrish, the mouse pads are the poo poo.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah I have an Artisan Hayate, it owns. I don't get buying a super expensive mouse and keyboard and the using a total piece of poo poo mouse pad. It's like putting the shittiest cheapo tires on your sports car.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Goodbye G5, hello G500s. Please be as good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

neato burrito posted:

Goodbye G5, hello G500s. Please be as good.

why did you buy a g500 when the G502 is out now, and is one of the greatest mice ever?

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Honestly, it's because I find it aesthetically displeasing. Is it that much better?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

neato burrito posted:

Honestly, it's because I find it aesthetically displeasing. Is it that much better?

Yes. Failing that the G402 would also have been a better purchase. It's also more normal looking.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

Changed my order, thanks for the advice :frogbon:

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

overdriveGTO posted:

Well I've come to the conclusion that the newer Logitech mice are just too big for me. I had to return the g402 now because I can't reach the sniper button and can't even come close to reaching the dpi buttons. The mouse is actually fairly usable but with no tilt wheel and three buttons out of reach it doesn't have enough buttons for me.

Goo please make mice sized for ladies and guys like me with baby hands.

If it makes you feel any better the new g502 is just narrow enough that I get constant hand cramps from using it. I thought it would be the same width as the g602 which is a perfect shape but lacks the fine dpi precision I need.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

overdriveGTO posted:

Well I've come to the conclusion that the newer Logitech mice are just too big for me. I had to return the g402 now because I can't reach the sniper button and can't even come close to reaching the dpi buttons. The mouse is actually fairly usable but with no tilt wheel and three buttons out of reach it doesn't have enough buttons for me.

Goo please make mice sized for ladies and guys like me with baby hands.

I have the same problem especially since I hate wires. I can't find a single wireless mouse with a good sensor that isn't enormous. I just want the G602's innards jammed into the Anywhere MX's formfactor or something.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
I'm interested in buying a new mouse and I'm torn between the Logitech G100s and the Logitech G400s. I have used the MX518 for a few years now and like the ergonomic shape but always felt it was a little too large and heavy for a palm grip. I mostly play FPS games now a days and I'm wondering if the g100s would be a better purchase due to its smaller size. The shape of the g100s looks like it could be less comfortable than the G400s however and it is also missing my beloved back / forward side buttons. Does anyone have a personal preference between the two?

Edit: Ended up finding the g100s for $18.00 dollars and decided to go with it.

Ample fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 21, 2014

Lardroom
Oct 15, 2012
I've generally used a logitech mouse since 2003 and have a first generation MX518 that still works perfectly although I dabbled with the Razer MMO mouse products and now have such an utter hatred for that company. Switched to a G400 when they removed the angle snapping and I've been pretty happy until it started to develop a double-clicking problem.

I decided to "upgrade" to a G502 and I'm pretty happy with it. I like the feel of the rubber and the thinner size because I have small hands. Also it's not hideously ugly like the G400s. I'm still getting used to the different button configurations and the additional weight, having used basically the same mouse for 10 years. The only real complaint I have is with how slippery the scroll wheel is, especially when set to click mode. I think I can get used to it though.

Goo, I know you can't discuss potential products but if you could make a G13 with those new and fancy mechanical switches you just annouced I would be very pleased.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Is the Logitech G700s about the same size as the old MX1000 would have been? (Or maybe the Performance Mouse MX is now?) That thing was enormous and I loved it, but the area that I am in has a very noisy spectrum so the wireless performance is poo poo.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 21, 2014

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Torpor posted:

Is the Logitech G700s about the same size as the old MX1000 would have been? (Or maybe the Performance Mouse MX is now?) That thing was enormous and I loved it, but the area that I am in has a very noisy spectrum so the wireless performance is poo poo.

G700s is 129x84x47mm, MX1000 is 126x81x46mm, so yeah pretty close.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I have been using one of these vertical mouse setups at work for the last couple weeks.
http://www.amazon.com/Evoluent-VerticalMouse-Regular-Right-VM4R/dp/B00427TAIK/

They are really nice. I can really tell the difference in the way my elbow and wrist feels after a day of using this versus a conventional mouse. I don't yet really have the accuracy that I could game with, but thus far I really like it.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Ahz posted:

Pretty happy with the Razer Naga 2014. The new mechanical buttons are pretty easy to differentiate, but I mostly like it because of how light it is to use and it has a nice rest for my ring finger instead of clumping it with my pinky. The finish is surprisingly good for my sweaty palms as well. I also like how the mouse wheel has side clicking, but the wheel rubber grip has enough of a 3d effect that I can shift left/right without actually shift/taking my finger off the scroll wheel.

Have Razer fixed the wheel click problems?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
M65 spotted in the wild:

edit: I am retarded and thought this was a new mouse.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 22, 2014

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

pisshead posted:

Have Razer fixed the wheel click problems?

What problems? Mine is probably the best one I've used.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

Knifegrab posted:

M65 spotted in the wild:

edit: I am retarded and thought this was a new mouse.

The RGB version is new I think.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Diddie posted:

The RGB version is new I think.

Upon further research, so it is. Still the same old mouse though except for the new LED features I think, I still don't like the button layout.

Simple Simon
Dec 29, 2008

"Good sir, would you fancy a Salmon tartar?"
So I have a Logitech M510, that has 2 mouse buttons that are now no longer working and need a new one but I loving loved this mouse. Probably the best mouse for my hand (can use it for hours and not feel a thing). Now I need a new one since I can't seem to get one here in Sweden.
What is the closest thing to it, size, button and feel?

Also bought a Logitech M560, since I thought it looked like what I wanted but holy poo poo that is one small piece of poo poo.
The middle button feels terrible and it doesn't work with clicking. Then the body feels like cheap plastic.

So any advice? Not planning on spending more then 50 on it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So my G700 is starting to crap out on me, losing left clicks when holding both LMB and RMB together (it's an MMO thing). Should I RMA it or just pick up this newfangled G502 everyone's talking about? I do kinda miss the lightness of my old G9.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Eej posted:

So my G700 is starting to crap out on me, losing left clicks when holding both LMB and RMB together (it's an MMO thing). Should I RMA it or just pick up this newfangled G502 everyone's talking about? I do kinda miss the lightness of my old G9.

My G700's left click switch also started giving out, so I called Logitech about it and they sent me a newfangled G700s as a replacement.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
Is there 3rd party logitech software to configure the sensitivity? I had old logitech software for my G500 and it was all kinds of configurable; I have the new logitech 'gaming' software and it kind of sucks. I got the G700 and the software for that really, really sucks.

Edit: or is there a way to get the g700 to be configurable on the logitech 'gaming' software?

Torpor fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 24, 2014

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

My old Mx518 is developing that cord issue they get and is way out of warranty. I am pretty much looking for the same thing with more buttons so I found the G402.
Can the DPI buttons be changed to be regular buttons?
Are the buttons next to M1, labeled G7/G8, able to be clicked with the thumb or are they pointed the wrong way for that?
Should I be worried that the G400 and G502 have 3 year warranty but the G402 is only 2?

Are the features on the G502 worth it? I have never used a tilt wheel so I don't know if that is useful and my first reaction to the surface tuning is a marketing gimmick that doesn't really change much. It is slightly heavier even without the weights and $20 more.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
G700s is on sale at amazon for $64 today. Worth picking up? For reference I've loved my previous mx510 and mx1100 (though laggy), and am currently on a performance MX.

edit2: I have a marathon mouse (m705?) that I like overall for gaming with the laptop, but the scroll wheel has a tendency to trigger a scroll on its own even when in ratcheted mode. Warranty replacement was slightly better but can still do it.

Primarily an FPS/RTS guy.

edit: and by today I guess I really mean last 2 weeks or so. camelx3 says $50 is the lowest it's ever been.

MrBond fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 24, 2014

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The G700 was very nice, though it needs recharging daily. Thus, my current G602. I never noticed any input lag, either plugged in or wireless. I thought it an excellent mouse.

PreformedSoup
Jun 22, 2011

MrBond posted:

G700s is on sale at amazon for $64 today. Worth picking up? For reference I've loved my previous mx510 and mx1100 (though laggy), and am currently on a performance MX.

edit2: I have a marathon mouse (m705?) that I like overall for gaming with the laptop, but the scroll wheel has a tendency to trigger a scroll on its own even when in ratcheted mode. Warranty replacement was slightly better but can still do it.

Primarily an FPS/RTS guy.

edit: and by today I guess I really mean last 2 weeks or so. camelx3 says $50 is the lowest it's ever been.

I use the G602 as well and it's incredible. I change the batteries roughly once every 3-4 months maybe more and use it daily for a good chunk of the day on the performance setting (I don't really know what the difference is between it's settings, and I never really changed it). In my experience it tracks as well and is as responsive as my MX518 I used previously. If there's a difference it's negligible. I bought an M705 a few years ago and it's essentially unusable compared to the 602. It's tracking is god awful and just feels bad in the hand. If you're going wireless I'd recommend the 602 as well. The only thing I wish Logitech would do different is release a wireless mouse with the same internals as the G602 but with a more professional and less gamer-y look to it (for reference, see MX Revolution/ Logitech Performance MX) and hyperscrolling, but I guess that's a small gripe, all things considered.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Anyone got a recommendation for a bluetooth mouse that will work on a glossy surface?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

signalnoise posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a bluetooth mouse that will work on a glossy surface?

Microsoft's Bluetrack seems to work pretty well - I used it on a clear glass table and it never flinched.