Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
is there any way for me to change the spring for something better? I already opened the whole clicking mechanism to fix it twice, but the left click seems that will already need another go soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

program666 posted:

is there any way for me to change the spring for something better? I already opened the whole clicking mechanism to fix it twice, but the left click seems that will already need another go soon enough.

Call Logitech before you void your warranty, they have replaced a mice of mine that was 3 years old without the original proof of purchase no questions asked.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I'm in brazil so these things are tougher

surc
Aug 17, 2004

The g502 is fine, I bought one to switch to from an mx518. In terms of weight, I actually found it to be lighter than I wanted, so I added two of the 3.6g weights they provide. The only things that took a little getting used to were: The way my pinky/ring finger sat on the outside of the mouse had to adjust because the roll-off on the slope is different, and it took a day or two for me to stop hitting the DPI adjustment buttons when surprised in an FPS. :shrug:

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Anyone have any experience with the Asus ROG Gladius? Looks like it's got the Razer DeathAdder form factor I like with the bonus of not having to deal with Razer's horrible build quality or buggy synapse software.

And from their marketing it looks like it might(?) actually be easy to replace/service the switches:

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

astral posted:

Anyone have any experience with the Asus ROG Gladius? Looks like it's got the Razer DeathAdder form factor I like with the bonus of not having to deal with Razer's horrible build quality or buggy synapse software.

I got to try it just today, seems alright. Definitely similar shape to deathadder. Sides are very grippy, theyre fairly soft rubber and that pattern you can see on the side is really deep grooves in the rubber that give it a lot of texture. Switches feel fine, nothing special but nothing wrong with em just feel like any garden variety not-$10-but-not-Zowie mouse.

Edit: I just noticed after posting that it comes with extra/replacement switches in the box. So I guess they really are fairly easy to replace. The package contents calls them "extra" switches so I assume they are the same type that are installed from the factory, just replacements for when you eventually need them. Kind of a cool idea considering a switch failing is one of the most common ways for a mouse to fail.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 20, 2015

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
Checking in after getting a replacement Mionix Castor. This one tracks just fine, but my gripes about the loose USB input and scroll-wheel do indeed seem to be design choices and not manufacturing errors. Really my only issues with the mouse in general though, I think this is the first I'm actually happy with a mouse after 2 other vastly different attempts with the Logi G700s and EVGA TORQ5. Feels comfortable, buttons in the right spots and the optical sensor as I said is fully functional. I don't want to speak too soon about the scroll-whell like I did with the TORQ5, but for now it doesn't have trouble deciding between clicks despite feeling mushy and loose. I also like the feel and sound of the switches quite a bit more than I did the TORQ5.

Would recommend.

edit: oh yeah it doesn't look like complete rear end either, so that's nice

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
If it's still before 3 pm, if any UK goons want a g502 they're like 33 pounds on amazon on a lightning deal, for probably not that much longer I guess. deals over, back up to £48 now.

Quaternion Cat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 24, 2015

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Not quite on topic but I want to know about mousepads with the padded wrist support. Are those worth it over a regular mousepad and if so what kind of shape/thickness is optimal? Currently using a glass desk and have to put paper under my mouse because I don't have a pad and it sucks.

I use a G400s if that matters whatsoever.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

No, avoid them. They are actively bad for your wrist. Grab any decent 'gaming' mousepad and you'll be good to go.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Ergonomically, a mouse wrist pad is useless and a desire for one is generally a symptom stemming from an incorrect desk height.

cons
Oct 3, 2011

astral posted:

And from their marketing it looks like it might(?) actually be easy to replace/service the switches:

I've been using it for 1 month and I am really satisfied with the feel and performance. I actually ordered an ASUS monitor and a Steelseries Rival, there was an extra box there and it was Gladius. Apparently they were bundled with the monitor. For a few days I used Rival but the grip was a little awkard for me and gave Gladius a chance. As I said, I am happy with it. In about 15 years I used Logitech MX500, MX1000, G9, G9x, G400, G400s, Razer Imperator, Steelseries Rival and this one. MX500 had the best build quality and Gladius is a close second FOR NOW. It's been only 1 month so I can't say anything about any failures like defective buttons over use etc.. But throwing extra switches will solve that problem(mine does not have them since it was promotional). There is also extra mouse skates included. So if you like the DeathAdder grip you can give it a go. I am definetly sure the Gladius is a better mouse.

cons fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 25, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Late to this thread and only read the last few pages, but is there a recomended "go to" for a laptop/travel mouse with a good optical sensor that preferebly doesn't cost $50? 3 button with a scrool wheel would be nice.

e: Are MS mice still OK? Thinking of something basic just like this
http://www.amazon.ca/Microsoft-Wireless-Mobile-Mouse-1850/dp/B00LGEDU4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448483764&sr=8-1&keywords=wireless+mouse

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 25, 2015

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

slidebite posted:

Late to this thread and only read the last few pages, but is there a recomended "go to" for a laptop/travel mouse with a good optical sensor that preferebly doesn't cost $50? 3 button with a scrool wheel would be nice.

Personally I have a Logitech m325 and I am quite happy with it. Has everything you could want in a laptop/travel mouse and you an get them for about 20 bucks. As a plus on the single AA battery it seems to last forever.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for the recomendation. Not sure if you can answer this, but have you ever tried the mouse on a uniform color? I sometimes use the laptop in bed and use the mouse either on the bedspread or sheets and sometimes the cheapo Amazon special Permixx I presently use "hangs" due to, I presume, the uniform color of what it's going over (IE: White sheets)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the recomendation. Not sure if you can answer this, but have you ever tried the mouse on a uniform color? I sometimes use the laptop in bed and use the mouse either on the bedspread or sheets and sometimes my cheapo Amazon special Permixx I presently use "hangs" due to, I presume, the uniform color of what it's going over (IE: White sheets)

I don't have any white sheets to try it on but the grey sheets I have it works like a charm. YMMV though. Only thing it won't work on is glass/super reflective surfaces in my experience.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
My Logitech G502 mouse is great and I love it except that there's some crud in it between the right mouse button and the contact. It now feels 'mushy' - there's no satisfying CLICK when I push down or a POP when I release, and there's a barely-perceptible delay between me taking pressure off the button and the button releasing. I've stuck a compressed-air nozzle under the lid and given it a few blasts, but no change - whatever's there is mushy and aerodynamic. Do any of you know good instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble a g502 so as to clean crap out of the internals without wrecking the thing, or barring that, how to get Logitech to fix a thing?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If it's still under warranty you might as well get Logitech to take care of it. If not, just search G502 disassembly on Google and you'll get a bunch of hits.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

My Logitech G502 mouse is great and I love it except that there's some crud in it between the right mouse button and the contact. It now feels 'mushy' - there's no satisfying CLICK when I push down or a POP when I release, and there's a barely-perceptible delay between me taking pressure off the button and the button releasing. I've stuck a compressed-air nozzle under the lid and given it a few blasts, but no change - whatever's there is mushy and aerodynamic. Do any of you know good instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble a g502 so as to clean crap out of the internals without wrecking the thing, or barring that, how to get Logitech to fix a thing?

If you call up logitech warranty support they may just send you a new one or suggestions on fixing it. They replaced my G400 with a bad cord with a G400S and I won the G400, it wasn't even purchased.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Aight, I'll see if I can make the swap happen. Thanks for the advice.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
G502 is currently $40 on Amazon, I'm assuming that's a good deal?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I think it's usually like 79 bucks

e: usd bucks

cons
Oct 3, 2011

Nibble posted:

G502 is currently $40 on Amazon, I'm assuming that's a good deal?

It is indeed a good deal but this is a better one.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Talk me through why the 303 is better than the 502 please. I recently picked up a 502 and am happy with it, but at that price I have no real qualms about getting an upgrade so soon, assuming it would be an upgrade.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It's a better deal but not necessarily a better mouse. It's got some of the same features as the 502 (same sensor, profiles, cord) so it's very solid in that department. Very light weight as well.

However it's got a completely bizarre shape that makes 0 sense to anyone's hands. People who exclusively fingertip will probably not mind it, but if you're used to ergo shapes or palm at all, it's a deal breaker. Also has really lovely side buttons by comparison to the G502.

So if you want a super small, light weight mouse for fingertip usage and gaming, it's not a bad choice.

Both of those deals are amazing though so whatever is your preference, hard to go wrong.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's a better deal but not necessarily a better mouse. It's got some of the same features as the 502 (same sensor, profiles, cord) so it's very solid in that department. Very light weight as well.

However it's got a completely bizarre shape that makes 0 sense to anyone's hands. People who exclusively fingertip will probably not mind it, but if you're used to ergo shapes or palm at all, it's a deal breaker. Also has really lovely side buttons by comparison to the G502.

So if you want a super small, light weight mouse for fingertip usage and gaming, it's not a bad choice.

Both of those deals are amazing though so whatever is your preference, hard to go wrong.

If I'm used to using this http://www.amazon.com/GE-Ergonomic-Design-Optical-98529/dp/B004Z2991K/ , would that 303 look to be about the same size? I dont quite get how mouse "dimensions" work as they are listed on each amazon page, as height actually looks to be what I consider the length of a mouse. They look to be about the same shape at least, looking at them from a side perspective and the dimensions listed look relatively close.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Honestly the size and shape looking very similar could mean absolutely nothing in actual use. For example: G500s, can't loving stand it. Uncomfortable mouse that I just hate the feel of and hate using. G502, great mouse, far comfier, much better overall feel. And those two are very similar shapes.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If I'm used to using this http://www.amazon.com/GE-Ergonomic-Design-Optical-98529/dp/B004Z2991K/ , would that 303 look to be about the same size? I dont quite get how mouse "dimensions" work as they are listed on each amazon page, as height actually looks to be what I consider the length of a mouse. They look to be about the same shape at least, looking at them from a side perspective and the dimensions listed look relatively close.

Yeah I really can't tell exactly how big that mouse is without a comparison photo, the dimensions and weights on Amazon are never reliable, they tend to be all over the place (often being the size of the box it comes in). The G303 is a very small mouse though, smaller than even a WMO1.1 if that gives you an idea.

The big thing is that the shape is inverted of what you might expect, it's diamond shaped almost.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Man, I'm sad I missed the g502 being on sale. :(

Sloop
Jun 1, 2003

RobotsLoveSpectres posted:

Man, I'm sad I missed the g502 being on sale. :(

It's still 39.99 from Best Buy, I missed out on the Amazon deal too but picked one up myself from there.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I'm sad that I bought my g502 a week ago and missed these sales :( But, it's a great mouse so far and I love it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Well, now my G502 makes a sound on the mousepad like it's pulling at the fibers.

gently caress, what's a good alternative?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mutation posted:

Well, now my G502 makes a sound on the mousepad like it's pulling at the fibers.

gently caress, what's a good alternative?

1/8" anodized aluminum plate.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Speaking of the G502, anyone got any tips for cleaning the rubber grip on the right and left sides of the mouse? They have those tiny little designs and grooves, gunk is getting in there and neither q-tips nor wet wipes (without alcohol) seem to get the job done.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I took my asus strix claw apart and made my wildest dreams came true. A bit of contact cleaner sprayed on the switch fixed the left mouse button issue I was having where it would randomly not register left clicks and let go+reclick while holding it down.

Also if anyone else has the mouse and has difficulty flashing firmware I can do a write up on how to do it cleanly. Their newer firmware update exectuable is garbage and often doesn't work. You can use their older exectuable to flash the new firmware and it's problem free. The mouse actually acts like it's bricked when the new firmware updater fails. I have no clue what's going on with the QA there. It really is a great mouse that's really well built.

The only real issue some people might have with it is mouse3 (the scroll wheel button) takes a ridiculous amount of force to press. I haven't bothered to fix it because I simply don't use it outside of rarely scrolling on webpages with it where the 3-5x actuation force of a normal click at a weird angle is no big deal.

C-Euro posted:

Really dumb question, but what's the best way to clean a mousepad? I've noticed that mine is currently causing my mouse to be unresponsive to certain small motions (checked against my wife's pad which is much newer). I should probably just buy a new one but I'm too cheap to do so right now if I can take a wet cloth to it for 30 seconds tonight instead, or something.
You can literally throw pure traks in the washing machine and then in the dryer. Although anything else you put in the dryer with it will smell of rubber. Probably works with other cloth pads, but washing it by hand takes a similar amount of time and is much safer.

I usually just wet it with cold or warm water, put a bit of detergent on it, hand wash it, and rinse until I feel like all the detergent is gone. Then I hang it on something until it dries.

I guess you could use a foam upholstery cleaner instead of detergent, but I don't have that stuff on hand. I just use regular tide and spray it down in the ol bath tub.

Det_no posted:

Speaking of the G502, anyone got any tips for cleaning the rubber grip on the right and left sides of the mouse? They have those tiny little designs and grooves, gunk is getting in there and neither q-tips nor wet wipes (without alcohol) seem to get the job done.
Use something smaller and probably metal or plastic. I guess a toothpick might work or anything that you would clean fingernails or the bottom of shoes with.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 29, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Det_no posted:

Q-tips and wet wipes are both super soft and likely to get caught/pulled/torn on any kind of rough texture. Have you tried a thicker paper towel, a cloth rag/washcloth, or a sponge?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think my VX Revolution is nearing the end of its days and I'm considering a replacement. The thing is that I'm looking for basically another VX Revolution, or something very close to it. I'd buy another one but I don't think any have been made for a few years and it's freaking $180 on Amazon. Ideally it would be Mac-compatible, wireless, laser, with around 7 buttons and a decent battery life. Oh, and I'd love to not have to pay anywhere above, say, $70 for it. Any help is appreciated!

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I feel like any tool meant to exfoliate skin wouldn't have a hard time cleaning it. I mean, it is just dead skin gunk, after all.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Slowhanded posted:

I feel like any tool meant to exfoliate skin wouldn't have a hard time cleaning it. I mean, it is just dead skin gunk, after all.

You can buy an abrasive exfoliation sponge at any drugstore for like five dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Slowhanded posted:

Dead skin gunk, glued in with skin oil, and any bacteria that's started growing on it, yeah. A toothpick is fine but it's not like it's dandruff that you just wipe off.