Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Slowhanded posted:

I feel like any tool meant to exfoliate skin wouldn't have a hard time cleaning it. I mean, it is just dead skin gunk, after all.

what about cleaning keyboard goop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

duckfarts posted:

what about cleaning keyboard goop?

:siren:

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
The combination of Simple Green cleaner, microfiber cloths, and a electronic duster have been enough to keep 99% of my electronics spotless.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What are the thoughts on Steelseries wired mice? Specifically Sensei Raw series?

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 30, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

slidebite posted:

What are the thoughts on Steelseries wired mice? Specifically Sensei Raw series?
My old roommate had a Sensei and seemed to like it. I didn't like the shape though, not enough volume. I have average sized hands, his are a little smaller than mine.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Was kinda worried the rubber wouldn't play nice with a toothpick but it worked well enough.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

slidebite posted:

I had a steelseries RAW frost edition, I liked the shape of it (because my right hand hates ergonomic mice for some reason) and it was perfectly adequate for my regular gaming, but after a year the scroll wheel would double scroll or not track the wheel scroll right. It was just barely under warranty so I got it replaced, but I decided to get a new mouse because I didn't want to deal with that mouse in case more problems cropped up.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Steelseries seem to have really terrible mousewheels in general, I always see them failing in one way or another.

Sensei series are all mediocre laser mice, and the software is pretty bad as well from what I recall. If you're looking for a gaming mouse you should really be looking elsewhere, the Rival (the classic one) is your best bet in terms of gaming mice from Steelseries, it's pretty decent overall but a completely different size/shape. If you want the Sensei shape but a better mouse you're probably going to want to look at a Zowie instead.

Anyone got any opinions on a decent couch-gaming setup? I've got a Steam Link which is pretty nice, but I'm trying to figure out if I can get a practical setup for playing stuff like turn based strategy. Wired or wireless doesn't matter. I was thinking Trackball is probably the most obvious choice to maximize usability and play-ability. Any suggestions on that front? Maybe something with a small and light couch-friendly keyboard?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Anyone got any opinions on a decent couch-gaming setup? I've got a Steam Link which is pretty nice, but I'm trying to figure out if I can get a practical setup for playing stuff like turn based strategy. Wired or wireless doesn't matter. I was thinking Trackball is probably the most obvious choice to maximize usability and play-ability. Any suggestions on that front? Maybe something with a small and light couch-friendly keyboard?

Logitech M570 is a pretty good, cheap, wireless trackball (though it is a thumb ball which has its downsides. Battery appears to last literally forever and uses unifying so can have a decent range.

My solution a few years back when I did a bit of couch gaming was, for my keyboard, use synergy, back when it was free to send my netbook's (which I was happy to have on my lap) keyboard to my gaming PC, but still used an actual mouse connected to the gaming PC. If you went with the M570 I'd look for something logitech and unifying but I don't have any actual suggestions.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I've been bouncing between the FK1, G303 and Castor lately. Theyre all quite different but I enjoy them all depending on the type of game I'm playing.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I just had a G303 delivered today. Despite ubiquitous consistent Logitech buzz, no one has really talked about it in this thread, but it's in this bizarre position in the hierarchy of gaming mice at the moment. It's a contentious device, because it's a refresh of the unique shell Logitech made for their 302, but what's in it is very different.

Serious mouse carers are divided over it. It's really lightweight, it's got the absolute best sensor on the market (PWM3366, like the 502), but it's combined with what is near unanimously considered the best M1/M2 clicks in any mouse ever, in both latency and feel. The reason it's a cause for controversy is because people loving hate the shape. It's this weird ambi (but not actually ambidextrous, thumb buttons only on one side) shape with a low front end and a flat+narrow rear end with some inexplicable hard angled edges. Word has that for most hand sizes it's basically impossible to wield unless you're Fingertip/Claw style, and even then those might not be comfortable for you either. It pisses nerds off because it's got the best pound for pound guts of any mouse going right now, but if a mouse isn't comfortable then that's the ultimate dealbreak. I've been reading slews of posts about tryhard CSers who love what they can do with it but have to ice their wrists and wear a brace in the aftermath, lol

There's another major con, and it's that a recent batch has had questionable quality control, namely expressed in the form of a loosely anchored sensor nest. It's come to be known as the "rattle", in which the sensor inexplicably has wiggle room, and intertia causes weird little humps at the end of straight, fast movement. This seems to be incredibly widespread. The good news is that it's fixable with a really simple mod using double sided tape, but the mouse has to be completely opened to do so. Logitech still has the best warranty in the biz, but they shouldn't have let such a glaring defect happen with corner cutting.

I've ordered mine sight unseen without even ever touching the shape before, because I'm a Fingertip/Claw and an old G500 wasn't cutting it. I'll see how it goes. First impression is that it feels weird just to touch, but M1 and M2 are insanely tight and it glides with unprecedented accuracy. Oh it also has rainbow connection LEDs, if that matters to anyone. lol

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 2, 2015

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I was going to say most ergonomic problems can be resolved with enough Sugru, but at that point you might as well just buy a 502.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I did not realize the MSRP of the G303 was only $10 less than the G502. With it not being properly ambidextrous, I really don't know why you would pick it over the G502.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

GokieKS posted:

I did not realize the MSRP of the G303 was only $10 less than the G502. With it not being properly ambidextrous, I really don't know why you would pick it over the G502.
The only thing the two have in common is the sensor, the 502 is like 60g heavier and not everyone likes its shape either.

Logitech would double down on their niche market dominance if they put the guts of a G303 into one of their legacy shells that are universally loved, like the mx518. Does Goo still post here? haha

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm one of the wierd people who likes the G303 shape more than the 502.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I'm even weirder, I hate the 502 and use a Naos 7000.

Just forget logitec unless you look at razer stuff and think how great it would look if it was limited to exclusively blue LEDs.

ColHannibal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Dec 2, 2015

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

GokieKS posted:

I bought the G302 (similar to the G303 shapewise) since it was on sale, I never did like ergonomic mice and my small weak hands like the light weight g302. If I was really a serious gamer I might have splurged for the g303 but the 302 is perfectly adequate for most of my gaming.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'm eyeing the G402 myself. After playing around with the 402 and the 502 in store I found the 502 uncomfortably tall. The slightly lower profile of the 402 felt better. Only reservation I have is the wheel on the 402 feels awful compared to my old Performance Mouse MX.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

ColHannibal posted:

I'm even weirder, I hate the 502 and use a Naos 7000.

Just forget logitec unless you look at razer stuff and think how great it would look if it was limited to exclusively blue LEDs.

Hey, if I could have a more Naos-like shape, but with the height, thumb rest, and button layout of the 502... I'd buy extras just in case.
I love the Naos shape but its just a little bit smaller and shorter than I'd like, but I really like the G502 button scheme/options. Oh, and no scroll-wheel freespin toggle. Just make it indexed and stiff, but with the tilt still available. Perfect mouse.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Logitech always screws up the 300 series mice somehow. It's really weird because ever since I used the mx300 I've wanted to buy one, but every time I go to buy one they always have some ridiculous mistake going on. One generation had an awful sensor, another generation had a really lovely sensor position on the bottom of the mouse, and if you look at each generation there's something ridiculously wrong with it. The current generation has a really awful shape for some reason but is otherwise great. Like, they fixed everything, except they decided that instead of using the great shape people wanted to begin with they were going to go with a really bad shape.

It doesn't matter as much these days because there are a million quality mice brands now. Although logitech is one of the few you can try in stores.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still using a Logitech G1 that I only picked up because my MX300 was starting to wear out the left click switch. I grabbed a refurb G100s later and tried it out, but little things like the cord and movement is a bit off to me. Just acclimating to the G1 took awhile.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Logitech MX Master: Would I have any trouble getting the thumb-wheel to play nice with autohotkey?

I'm assuming the software just has it set as generic mouse function in the eyes of windows? Just need to make sure it's not something so crazy baked in to the software that I wouldn't be able to hijack it with AHK.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
isn't it just horizontal-scrolling? You can probably test it with other mouses with scroll-left and scroll-right or something. Logitech mouse usually have those on the tilt function of the mouse wheel.

E: but then again the tilt function is just a button not a scroll so it might be very different

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
I have a G402 and the middle click stopped working after about 6-7 months of use.

Logitech support initially responded to my claim with suggestions to try another USB port and another computer. Now that I've provided my receipt and shipping address that they asked for they haven't replied in almost 2 weeks. Pretty lovely support experience. Do they only honor their warranty if you call them up or what?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I always called them and spoke to a human and never experienced any hitches in the warranty process.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

program666 posted:

isn't it just horizontal-scrolling? You can probably test it with other mouses with scroll-left and scroll-right or something. Logitech mouse usually have those on the tilt function of the mouse wheel.

E: but then again the tilt function is just a button not a scroll so it might be very different

Yeah I did some searching today and I'm less optimistic.

It seems like the way people were getting the old MX revolution thumbwheel to work with AHK was by using third party software to mess with the logitech drivers to just have the wheel send generic keystrokes which AHK could pick up and go from there.

This is the software menu for the MX master scroll wheel I pulled off some youtube video:

Which looks like a lot of special software stuff I doubt could be grabbed by AHK,

And then there is "horizontal scrolling" which I have no idea if the wheel literally just sends a 1 generic left/right tilt command every tick (which I think I could get working with autohotkey) or if it's something more complex in the software.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
My Intellimouse Optical 1.1a is breaking (after scrolling down the wheel will usually register one more a few seconds later, and now the left side button is occasionally double-clicking and not registering), so I'm looking to get something new, and I'd like to try something with a more modern sensor and whatever other niceties come with newer mice. I use a fingertip grip but I also sometimes rest my palm on it while not moving it so it's probably better that it not be super tiny, but at the same time I don't want something huge and heavy. My main requirements are that it have a good sensor, a reasonably sturdy scroll wheel (I figure that's probably the most fragile part on most mice), and at least two side buttons. The main things I'm looking at right now are the Mionix Avior 7000 and Castor, and the Zowie FK. If anyone has opinions on those or suggestions of different mice (I'm open to pretty much whatever) I'd be interested to read them. Thanks.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Either of the Mionix mice are much better choices if customization is a concern. They let you adjust the DPI in 50cpi increments and let you remap all the buttons and setup profiles and that kind of stuff. The Avior is kind of oddly shaped IMO, I'd definitely go with the Castor over it by default. I really like the mouse wheels on the Mionix stuff I've used, they're very accurate compared to other offerings (and much better than Logitech's stuff).

Zowie is very bare-bones, the DPI settings are fixed (iirc 400/800/1600 on the newer ones), no software or profiles or anything like that. Also uses Huano switches which are a little stiffer. Shape is very much WMO, super light weight, good sensor.

I think either the Castor or Zowie will be good for you just depending on what you care about in a mouse.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'd like my mouse to double click when I single click. Either by holding a key down to activate the feature, or by it being in place until I turn it off. Does anyone know of any Windows 7 software that will do this?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'd like my mouse to double click when I single click. Either by holding a key down to activate the feature, or by it being in place until I turn it off. Does anyone know of any Windows 7 software that will do this?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/10117-single-click-double-click-open-item.html ?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jewel Repetition posted:

Autohotkey can do this, you'll have to do some copy/pasting of code but it's not too hard.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

I need it to actually double click unfortunately.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Autohotkey can do this, you'll have to do some copy/pasting of code but it's not too hard.

Is there an existing script?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jewel Repetition posted:

Is there an existing script?

You should just be able to do something like this:
code:
F12::Click 2
return
As such to map F12 to Double Click. You can do fancier stuff of course, like making it on a shift modifier or such, depending on what exactly you want.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Yep If you just want to turn left click into double click it's just

code:
LButton::Click 2
return

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
If the phone support guy didn't flat out lie to me or himself, Logitech will just be flat-out sending me a new G502. I guess God just loves me more than most

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

If the phone support guy didn't flat out lie to me or himself, Logitech will just be flat-out sending me a new G502. I guess God just loves me more than most

No that's standard for logitek, there reputation is earned.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Either of the Mionix mice are much better choices if customization is a concern. They let you adjust the DPI in 50cpi increments and let you remap all the buttons and setup profiles and that kind of stuff. The Avior is kind of oddly shaped IMO, I'd definitely go with the Castor over it by default. I really like the mouse wheels on the Mionix stuff I've used, they're very accurate compared to other offerings (and much better than Logitech's stuff).

Zowie is very bare-bones, the DPI settings are fixed (iirc 400/800/1600 on the newer ones), no software or profiles or anything like that. Also uses Huano switches which are a little stiffer. Shape is very much WMO, super light weight, good sensor.

I think either the Castor or Zowie will be good for you just depending on what you care about in a mouse.

They're all excellent, depending on what is most comfortable in your hand. I found the Avior shape didn't work for me, but I love the FK and Castor. I like the Castor when playing lazier games, and the FK for shooters where the lightness and small size make it easy to throw around.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Their support via email can be a little slow, but they've always come through. They sent me a new G502 because the one I bought had the braided cable fray due to being wrapped up (so it could no longer pull straight). Between the support and their products just being plain excellent in ergonomics (to me) and features (I can't use a mouse without a tilt mousewheel with hyperscroll mode now), I literally have used nothing but Logitech mice for over a decade now.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

eh nevermind bought the Performance Mx

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kairos posted:

My Intellimouse Optical 1.1a is breaking (after scrolling down the wheel will usually register one more a few seconds later, and now the left side button is occasionally double-clicking and not registering), so I'm looking to get something new, and I'd like to try something with a more modern sensor and whatever other niceties come with newer mice. I use a fingertip grip but I also sometimes rest my palm on it while not moving it so it's probably better that it not be super tiny, but at the same time I don't want something huge and heavy. My main requirements are that it have a good sensor, a reasonably sturdy scroll wheel (I figure that's probably the most fragile part on most mice), and at least two side buttons. The main things I'm looking at right now are the Mionix Avior 7000 and Castor, and the Zowie FK. If anyone has opinions on those or suggestions of different mice (I'm open to pretty much whatever) I'd be interested to read them. Thanks.

I got burned on a Zowie AM when the right mouse button malfunctioned less than a year after buying it and Zowie declined to fix/exchange it.