Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Edit: looks like that front 'sniper button' can't be remapped and just toggles to 500dpi.

Pass.

I'm looking at the Logitech G502 Proteus, but I hear the G series sucks?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deviant posted:

Edit: looks like that front 'sniper button' can't be remapped and just toggles to 500dpi.

Pass.

G-series always have solid build quality. Sensors are usually weird - good baseline, but almost always, and sometimes forever, quirky. G502 is a very solid mouse, if you can avoid setting DPI to 2000 or higher (which any normal person should be perfectly able to).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I just want another one of these, but they don't make it anymore.

3 side buttons, a few on top, matte texture.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deviant posted:

I just want another one of these, but they don't make it anymore.

3 side buttons, a few on top, matte texture.
What's the size/price on that?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

kalstrams posted:

What's the size/price on that?

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Precision-Programmable-Buttons-Cartridges/dp/B00AAQRNQ8/

Price: It was like 50 bucks, now it's not being made anymore.
Size: I dunno, it's about 3" at its widest and 5" long.

However, it did eventually develop issues consistently with the scroll wheel clicking. The point is I love the layout, and the Logitech G series is the closest I can find, but it's still not thrilling me.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Deviant posted:

The G303/G502/G900 are all very good. The rest are a mixed bag.

Put your hands on a G502 before buying one though, because the DPI Sniper button is pretty far up on the mouse, can be hard to reach depending on your grip.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
These are highly regarded as well so I've read:

https://mionix.net/product/avior-7000/

They have a couple other models as well.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The G303/G502/G900 are all very good. The rest are a mixed bag.

Put your hands on a G502 before buying one though, because the DPI Sniper button is pretty far up on the mouse, can be hard to reach depending on your grip.

Can the "sniper button" be remapped to something actually useful?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deviant posted:

Can the "sniper button" be remapped to something actually useful?
Yeah, all of it is very configurable.

I looked around with mice that are know to have decent sensors, more or less, and didn't find anything resembling layout of your old mouse, not within things released this decade. :rip:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Deviant posted:

Pass.

G502 is great with lots of buttons. Only thing is that the mouse is pretty heavy, and the scroll wheel is kinda dumb, but not in a way that ruins your experience.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ufarn posted:

G502 is great with lots of buttons. Only thing is that the mouse is pretty heavy, and the scroll wheel is kinda dumb, but not in a way that ruins your experience.
What about the scroll wheel though, it's pretty stellar in my experience? As to wrt heaviness/size, ymmv but it feels both smallish and featherweight to me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The scroll wheel is great. Clicks could stand to be a bit more well-defined when the ratchet is engaged, but I wish I could have it on more mice. I don't think I can use a mouse without the tilt/infiniscroll capability as my daily driver anymore. But yes, the G502 is a heavy fucker.

Deviant posted:

Pass.

OLD G-series sucked. After the MX series of mice was phased out, they branded the MX5-- replacement mouse as the G400. This was brown, the body had a tendency to break the USB cable internally, and a piece of poo poo in terms of durability. Then they gave it a better sensor with zero prediction. It was still poo poo in terms of durability. Then they replaced it with the G400s. This was blue, slightly more durable, but still nowhere near as good as an MX5-- series.

Now they rebranded the G-series AGAIN, and the current slate of mice seems to be a clean break from whatever the poo poo they were doing before.

Heck, I've got a refurb G502 off of one of those loving G400ses I can sell you. They sent me one as a warranty replacement, but took so long to do so that I had already bought my own by the time it got here.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 30, 2016

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Almost any new big-name mouse will be 100% customizable, including ANY Logitech gaming mouse.

The wheel on the G502 is probably its biggest weak-point, excepting the porky weight, imo.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

kalstrams posted:

What about the scroll wheel though, it's pretty stellar in my experience? As to wrt heaviness/size, ymmv but it feels both smallish and featherweight to me.
I've gotten used the form factor and feel, but the metallic surface and gaps around it makes it a pain to clean.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ufarn posted:

I've gotten used the form factor and feel, but the metallic surface and gaps around it makes it a pain to clean.
:yikes: Wash your hands, dude.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...
I just ordered a G502 myself today (picking up at bb in a bit) as my G700 keeps on double clicking, and getting worse at it. Figure that can go to gfs eventual computer since she's not a gamer and I can tweak the poll rate, etc.

Is the g502 heavier than a g700 with battery baseline? I like heavy mice anyway though.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tedronai66 posted:

I just ordered a G502 myself today (picking up at bb in a bit) as my G700 keeps on double clicking, and getting worse at it. Figure that can go to gfs eventual computer since she's not a gamer and I can tweak the poll rate, etc.

Is the g502 heavier than a g700 with battery baseline? I like heavy mice anyway though.
G502 itself is lighter, but ends up heavier with cable included.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
When I told my girlfriend I have an EC2-A coming in the mail (along with me running to best buy to grab the G303), she made this video to show me how ridiculous I am.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I got a Roccat Pure Optical a week ago and I really like it, I think I've found my MX518 replacement. Really comfy & easier to press side buttons, not one complaint about this thing so far.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Audax posted:

When I told my girlfriend I have an EC2-A coming in the mail (along with me running to best buy to grab the G303), she made this video to show me how ridiculous I am.
No xornet/xornet II. A shameful mouse collection. Was the second mouse a strix claw? As much as I wanted to love that mouse it had weird tracking issues despite using a sensor that generally doesn't have them.

Although with the xornet II you need to swap out the lens because apparently cm is brain dead and custom ordered a small lens with a *0.85 dpi multiplier. Real brilliant guys. The lens from a logitech g100s fits in perfectly and works great. Most of the negative reviews are reviewers not realizing the mouse doesn't actually have big delay or something just their dpi is only 85% of what they think it is.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 1, 2016

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Khorne posted:

No xornet/xornet II. A shameful mouse collection. Was the second mouse a strix claw? As much as I wanted to love that mouse it had weird tracking issues despite using a sensor that generally doesn't have them.

Although with the xornet II you need to swap out the lens because apparently cm is brain dead and custom ordered a small lens with a *0.85 dpi multiplier. Real brilliant guys. The lens from a logitech g100s fits in perfectly and works great. Most of the negative reviews are reviewers not realizing the mouse doesn't actually have big delay or something just their dpi is only 85% of what they think it is.

Why do these things look so left handed?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can't reach the DPI shift button on my G502 because I have stubby midget fingers but it's otherwise pretty great.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
The second mouse was a NAOS and the third is the cheapest thing I own, an e-blue cobra from years back when I didn't have any money and my MX518 broke - and it was $15 on Amazon - just enough to play LOL.

My EC2-A comes in Saturday. Interested to see if it can replace my castor. Also I am unfamiliar with the Xornet... time to go investigate further!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bleh Maestro posted:

Why do these things look so left handed?
They are right hand only. I fingertip/palm hybrid grip and it fits pretty nice due to its width.

It's a $30 mouse with identical features to the $60-$90 mice. And a great shape in my opinion.

I can comfortably fingertip or claw grip logitech's mx518 / g502 which is a lot longer and bigger in general.

Josh Lyman posted:

I can't reach the DPI shift button on my G502 because I have stubby midget fingers but it's otherwise pretty great.
Not even a drawback unless you wanted more rebindable mouse buttons.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jul 1, 2016

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.
How well regarded are Swiftpoint mice?

The Z looks like an interesting design: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1649358926/the-z?ref=category_recommended

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The Swiftpoint GT is apparently pretty well received, I dunno a thing about it but it's pretty weird looking.

But that thing looks like a gigantic clusterfuck of bad features, it will probably weigh more than a brick, and it's $230. Especially loln at the LCD screen.

That wire holder they have looks like it might actually be pretty nice though.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
That swiftpoint kickstarter looks ATROCIOUS.

Anyway, just came to post that a couple Roccat Savu's came up on Amazon for reasonable price (aka not $150). After just buying 2 mice in the last 2 days I still bought it, drat you Swissarmydruid for getting me obsessed with this thing like a gigantic white whale.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Man, I'm trying to decide between which of my Zowie EC1-A and Steelseries Rival 300 to keep and it's pretty maddening. They both are really close in terms of feel. I've spent an hour or so aiming at various things in Overwatch and Doom and I can't make up my drat mind.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
The Zowie. Or keep both and be well prepared!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

TheRationalRedditor posted:

The Zowie. Or keep both and be well prepared!

I think it's come down to this:
- The Rival feels a little bit smoother when tracking something at a slow speed. Like trying to stick with something with a beam weapon at range. I wonder if this is due to the giant skates on the Zowie and the smaller skates on the Rival. Or maybe it's all in my head.
- Clicks are a little easier on the Rival.
- The Wheel and Button 5 placement are so much better on the Zowie. The wheel on the Rival is too close to the palm so I have to click it with the middle joint of my finger, and I can't comfortably reach and hit button 5 with my thumb without accidentally hitting 4 sometimes. They are perfect on the EC1-A, for the first time ever for me. Usually the extra mouse buttons and mouse wheel are put in bizarrely non-ergonomic spots.

I have some hyperglides lying around here somewhere that I'm tempted to try on the Zowie. They are much smaller.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The surface area of your mouse feet don't really matter at all as far as friction goes. Material does matter though, and height is a factor for z-tracking and LOD and such, so either of those is a possible factor. As can be weight, as the Rival is a bit heavier than the Zowie (~120g vs 100g iirc).

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I guess area shouldn't have anything do with friction. And I have hyperglides on both :)

Perhaps it's the weight. Really the difference is so insignificant that it might all be in my head.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm back to the ec1-a this morning. Maybe the 30% heavier rival is less revealing of slight errors in slow tracking motions when I'm tired. But it could also just be that they are so close that it's all in my head.

I wish they made a shell like the ec1-a but with a slightly bigger hump at the heel of the mouse, similar to the rival. The ec1-a feels nice and plump in the front section of the mouse while the rival feels narrow, but the rival has a bigger hump in the rear that keeps my wrist from flattening and dragging in the back. If I'm tired and lazy, my pinky and ring finger drag with the rival and wrist will drag with ec1a.

In general, while I'm probably an outlier with 20cm hands, I've never gripped a modern gaming mice and felt "that's too big", which seems strange to me.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
The castor has a fat ole butt but it may be a bit small for you. I like it as much as my ec2-a, both comfy, just one more business in the front party in the back than the other.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Are there any god-tier mice without a stupid rubberized coating? It's always the first thing to go and makes the mouse look gross while it's coming off.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lolcano Eruption posted:

Are there any god-tier mice without a stupid rubberized coating? It's always the first thing to go and makes the mouse look gross while it's coming off.
Check 'Major list' tab here.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

That thing is missing a bunch of models, like the Zowie EC1-A, Steelseries Rival 300, Deathadder Chroma, Logitech G303/G900; basically all the current models.

Anyways, there is a glossy white version of the Steelseries Rival 300 that I'm aware of. Also, the EC1-A has some sort of in-between coating. It's not as rubberized as the Deathadder, but not glossy like that Rival. I personally really like the feel, but ymmv.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

That thing is missing a bunch of models, like the Zowie EC1-A, Steelseries Rival 300, Deathadder Chroma, Logitech G303/G900; basically all the current models.
Yeah, It is not being religiously maintained, but it's still a decent list if all you need is bunch of decent mice to see if any have suitable materials.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I put my hands on a G502 at the store, and something about it just felt off, like I didn't know where to put my pinky and ring finger. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Despite its size, I find it is most certainly NOT a palm mouse.