Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Fusion Restaurant posted:

What is a good FPS gaming mouse for someone with really large hands? Ideally I'd like a wired mouse with switches like the FK1+, the FK1+ is just too narrow for me to hold comfortably, even with claw grip. I've never been able to palm grip any mouse. I've been using the Sensei, and it's not bad, but still is a bit uncomfortable to hold for long periods, and way too short to ever not claw grip.

My hand is roughly ~8.7 inches long, which apparently is way bigger than average: http://www.theaveragebody.com/average_hand_size.php

Watch this guys reviews on mice. He has the best out, and goes into everything you actually need to know including hand size and in game tests.

http://www.rocketjumpninja.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMxPhAusHJQ

RBX fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
I need a new mouse, looking for recommendations. I've been using a 5-ish year old Logitech Performance MX, or whatever its precursor was called. Laser, wireless, AA batteries. Looks like this but has a rocker switch to the left of the index finger button for dpi adjustment that I've never used. It has worked really well for years, but at this point both top buttons double click, the battery contacts are loose and cut out all the time (I've bent them to make better contact, but it's still getting really flaky), and it's just getting old-looking, rubber surfaces starting to break down etc.

I am almost 100% on a mac these days and prefer wireless, so a good bluetooth implementation would be ideal to free up a USB port. I have AA rechargeable batteries pretty much always sitting in a charger and don't mind swapping batteries every once in a while. I think I'd prefer that to having to plug in a mouse to recharge, but that's not a deal-breaker. I get a month or two of typical use out of Eneloop AAs with my current mouse. I game a little, but probably not enough to get a specialized gaming mouse.

I looked at the MX Master, but the side scroll wheel and over-under thumb buttons look kind of ridiculous. I don't think I'd really use the second scroller, and I use the thumb buttons all the time. I've really gotten used to the tall curved MX form factor, though. Does the MX Master suck? Is there something else that's good?

eames
May 9, 2009

ufarn posted:

Logitech support is absolute poo poo now. It was indeed one of the best at one point, but now they're absolutely one of my worst customer experiences.

+1

Just following up on my last posting, after 5 weeks they sent me a boilerplate email stating that my mouse is defective. They also stated in no uncertain terms that replacement will be handled by the retailer.

logitech google translated from german posted:

A device replacement is performed at Logitech within the two-year dealer warranty by the retailer where it was purchased. Since Logitech ships only to wholesalers and not directly to retailers, the service performance of the dealer is not in our control. Discuss with him if a replacement unit is available for the period or if he can offer a similar solution.

Aka "take a hike". I used to specifically buy Logitech hardware to avoid annoyances like this.

I now have a Zowie EC2-A and like it a lot. Very reminiscent of the old Intellimouse Explorer. No extra buttons, no 1GB driver software required, no colored lighting, just a simple mouse that does its job well. I don't game enough to comment on things like accuracy and response time. Build quality could be a bit better considering the price.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

hamsystem posted:

I actually just bought a scimitar to replace a naga. It's bigger than the naga for sure, but the keypad can be moved forward or backward roughly an inch so it was pretty easy to find a comfortable spot for it. The biggest plus and the thing that made me buy it was the buttons themselves. They're mechanical and I find them much nicer to press vs. the naga. They also make a satisfying click. Build quality seems really nice. The only beef I've had with it so far is that the numpad keys aren't mapped out of the box and you have to go to the corsair website to get the software. Other than that I really love it so far.

How's the overall shape of the Scimitar compared to the G600?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Green Gloves posted:

I did a search on Reddit and people who ordered on Logitechs website said that theirs had shipped a few days ago.

Newegg says 10/01 for the g403 and 9/25 for the gaming pro.

$93 is a fuckload for this mouse. I can wait for this mouse no thanks.

Logitech seems to use Digital River for their distribution which, uh, doesn't have a good reputation.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Argas posted:

How's the overall shape of the Scimitar compared to the G600?

No idea, I've never had one and they didn't have any on display when I got the scimitar.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Megalixir posted:

From late 2009 to mid 2015 I went through 4 deathadders. there's no reason to buy their stuff now that Zowie exists.

My 4th just died today. 4 in 6 years. (1) double left click, (2) wheel stopped clicking + double left click, (3) wheel stopped clicking + not scrolling (4) wheel stopped clicking.

Purchase dates = 24 November 2010, 13 August 2011, 13 February 2014, 08 March 2015

scroll wheel assembly partially salvaged from (2) and (3) but they died quickly. I have a drawer with all of them stuffed in for spares. Its a deathadder graveyard.

Guess its back to ambidextrous now (left handed).

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
I'm particularly excited for the G403 to drop because it's basically Logitech's crack at the Zowie EC1/2A except without the shaky huano switches. So if you've liked Deathadders but can't tolerate their poor build quality, check it out because the EC1 and DA were always really similar in shape and feel if you don't have small hands.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Dear Goo:

I reinstalled windows today, and in the course of that, I installed the latest version of the Logitech gaming software (a much newer version than I was previously using). Now, I'll admit that I was multitasking, and just clicking next without really paying attention during the install process, but when it was done, I discovered software called 'overwolf' installed on my PC, and I just wanted to say how unbelievably scummy it is for an installer to install totally unrelated software on an opt out, rather than opt in basis, and I expect considerably better from a major, reputable company like Logitech.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The Lord Bude posted:

Dear Goo:

I reinstalled windows today, and in the course of that, I installed the latest version of the Logitech gaming software (a much newer version than I was previously using). Now, I'll admit that I was multitasking, and just clicking next without really paying attention during the install process, but when it was done, I discovered software called 'overwolf' installed on my PC, and I just wanted to say how unbelievably scummy it is for an installer to install totally unrelated software on an opt out, rather than opt in basis, and I expect considerably better from a major, reputable company like Logitech.

I loving hate gaming overlays and view them as the browser toolbars of gaming software.

Every loving gaming related company is pushing their own flavor of low-bid bought-out poorly optimized screen-capture/social media/chat/recording app and they're not going to be happy until we have UI's that look like 2006 WoW UI's.

Also I'm gonna laugh my tits off when any of them get Microsoft'd and sued in the EU for pushing this poo poo. Apparently you can't even OPT OUT of installing Overwolf; you have to uninstall the crapware after.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 26, 2016

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Wasabi the J posted:

Apparently you can't even OPT OUT of installing Overwolf; you have to uninstall the crapware after.

Yeah that's not good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

poo poo like this is the sort of thing that would make me actively consider not buying a logitech mouse in the future, on general principle, even if their mice are the best products on the market hardware wise (which I genuinely believe they are, at least at the moment)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

can anyone recommend one of those xl mousepads? I'd prefer black with no logos and fairly smooth, probably 90cm x 40cm or so. I'm in the UK.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

well why not posted:

can anyone recommend one of those xl mousepads? I'd prefer black with no logos and fairly smooth, probably 90cm x 40cm or so. I'm in the UK.

Just get a playing card mat

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

well why not posted:

Either you can get it with a tiny little logo in the corner: https://amzn.com/B00WY1BDZE

Or you can spend nearly forty bucks (or eurodollars ??) for a custom thing: http://www.inkedgaming.com/products/panoramic-desk-pad-36-x-11

Nevermind, found a blank one, but good luck if the thing actually comes to you without a logo somewhere: https://amzn.com/B014OOWMHQ

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lungboy posted:

Yeah that's not good.

Yeah that's pretty poo poo. Apparently it just auto-installs if it you try to update your gaming software, doesn't even prompt you if you want it or not. The actual installer supposed has an opt-out but that's still really scummy.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

poo poo like this is the sort of thing that would make me actively consider not buying a logitech mouse in the future, on general principle, even if their mice are the best products on the market hardware wise (which I genuinely believe they are, at least at the moment)

I've always bought Logitech but I'm actively seeking a viable replacement wireless mouse that's half decent.

Razor has a couple wireless options but they're insanely expensive. Unfortunately my MCSE barely holds a charge anymore so the day where I have to find a new mouse is coming

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
My Logitech gaming pro shipped from Newegg today. Excited to try it out.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

well why not posted:

Akasa Venom XXL

890 x 450 x 3mm

Mionix Alioth XL

90cm x 40cm x 0.3cm

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
The Overwolf dialog in the installer is not well designed and will be fixed in a future revision. Sorry for the poor experience. This is not what we want to do. Many people find it valuable, but we absolutely do not want to force it on people.

The Lord Bude posted:

Dear Goo:

Wasabi the J posted:

I loving hate gaming overlays and view them as the browser toolbars of gaming software.

Every loving gaming related company is pushing their own flavor of low-bid bought-out poorly optimized screen-capture/social media/chat/recording app and they're not going to be happy until we have UI's that look like 2006 WoW UI's.

Also I'm gonna laugh my tits off when any of them get Microsoft'd and sued in the EU for pushing this poo poo. Apparently you can't even OPT OUT of installing Overwolf; you have to uninstall the crapware after.

Lungboy posted:

Yeah that's not good.

The Lord Bude posted:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Yeah that's pretty poo poo. Apparently it just auto-installs if it you try to update your gaming software, doesn't even prompt you if you want it or not. The actual installer supposed has an opt-out but that's still really scummy.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Wasabi the J posted:

Either you can get it with a tiny little logo in the corner: https://amzn.com/B00WY1BDZE

Or you can spend nearly forty bucks (or eurodollars ??) for a custom thing: http://www.inkedgaming.com/products/panoramic-desk-pad-36-x-11

Nevermind, found a blank one, but good luck if the thing actually comes to you without a logo somewhere: https://amzn.com/B014OOWMHQ

I got this one about 6 months ago now. No logos and pretty good quality.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0199GE7RC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Goo posted:

The Overwolf dialog in the installer is not well designed and will be fixed in a future revision. Sorry for the poor experience. This is not what we want to do. Many people find it valuable, but we absolutely do not want to force it on people.

Users are reporting they can't click it; sorry Goo I actually am not bitching about your instance specifically -- I was only venting my frustrations for "default on" installs of stuff we didn't want.

Like I know you're not the marketing team or the software team. It's just a holy crap annoying thing that a LOT of software branches are doing.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
I don't see anyone in there saying they can't click it - just that it looks like it's unclickable because of the color choice. Again, it's a poor design, our software team is aware, and it will be fixed in the future. However, if it is actually unclickable or there's a way to install that it's unskippable that's absolutely unacceptable. I'd be happy (though irritated that it's happening) to forward such cases to our software team.

Goo fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 27, 2016

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Goo posted:

I don't see anyone in there saying they can't click it - just that it looks like it's unclickable. Again, it's a poor design, our software team is aware, and it will be fixed in the future. However, if it is actually unclickable or there's a way to install that it's unskippable that's absolutely unacceptable. I'd be happy (though irritated that it's happening) to forward such cases to our software team.

So it's just deceptive. :mad:

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
It's a poor design, our software team is aware, and it will be fixed in a future version.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
right click uninstall

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Goo posted:

I don't see anyone in there saying they can't click it - just that it looks like it's unclickable because of the color choice. Again, it's a poor design, our software team is aware, and it will be fixed in the future. However, if it is actually unclickable or there's a way to install that it's unskippable that's absolutely unacceptable. I'd be happy (though irritated that it's happening) to forward such cases to our software team.

sorry i misread it. it's greyed out and looks unclickable.

It still sucks. Thank you for being responsive man. I'm not gonna hate on you like you did it to me.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How silly would it be for me to buy an MMO mouse with all the buttons?

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

PerrineClostermann posted:

How silly would it be for me to buy an MMO mouse with all the buttons?

If you play a lot of MMOs I think you definitely should. Sure they look stupid, but imo they make a world of difference. The one big downside is that once you acclimate to using one it's difficult to go back. If you're unsure try a cheaper option like a Red Dragon Perdition to see if you like it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, the thing is I don't. But Arma uses all the keybindings. And I'm tired of trying to find a mouse that has side buttons far enough back for me to use easily. I figure at least two of the buttons on an MMO mouse ought to be reachable...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Goo posted:

Thanks for the response.

To clarify my position - even if the dialogue is redesigned, it's unacceptable for the default result for a user who blindly clicks next to be 'overwolf gets installed'. Only crapware does that.

Someone who wants to install overwolf should have to explicitly tick a box to make it happen, and the installer should make it clear that overwolf is seperate software unrelated to the Logitech gaming software.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 27, 2016

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

The Lord Bude posted:

Thanks for the response.

To clarify my position - even if the dialogue is redesigned, it's unacceptable for the default result for a user who blindly clicks next to be 'overwolf gets installed'. Only crapware does that.

Someone who wants to install overwolf should have to explicitly tick a box to make it happen, and the installer should make it clear that overwolf is seperate software unrelated to the Logitech gaming software.

I agree, and I have been told that the next version will.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

PerrineClostermann posted:

Well, the thing is I don't. But Arma uses all the keybindings. And I'm tired of trying to find a mouse that has side buttons far enough back for me to use easily. I figure at least two of the buttons on an MMO mouse ought to be reachable...

I still miss my G600/Razer Naga at times for games with lots of keybinds; you really do get used to having so many around.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

I still miss my G600/Razer Naga at times for games with lots of keybinds; you really do get used to having so many around.

Yeah, I love my g602, I think 6 buttons are more than enough for me. Its compact, the battery lasts a long time, but I think its taken a few to many hits and seems to snap out of the profile Im using at the time back into the default one and screws me sometimes. I dont know if its the mouse or just logitechs software loving up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Goo I know you're bound by your employment to phrase things the way your employer requires you to but we know you're more than smart enough to understand that the gray box isn't a "poor design choice," it's deliberately deceptive and Logitech knew drat well that it was deliberately deceptive when they added that shitware to the installer.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I've never saved a post before but that's the nerdiest example of rude I've ever seen. I'll call this scrapbook "Disconnected Nerds"

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy
This is what the new dialog will look like. If everything goes well it should go live in the next few days.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I was finding it impossible to choose between the G Pro mouse and the G403, so my trusty G9 decided by dying, forcing me to buy the G403 as the Pro isn't available yet. Thanks for all the fun, G9!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The latest version of Logitech's Gaming Software is missing another key feature that used to be present: It's no longer possible to manually select the installation language. My system is set to English, but Gaming Software still insists on displaying in the local language. Very annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

quote:

angry ranting

FFS, chill. It is being changed.

You know I could be doing the same thing you're doing demanding answers as to why Logitech decided they were going to make the G400 and G400s with some planned obsolesence into it, but you should be able to tell by Goo's answers that there is a line of "I have to be a professional face of my company" and not "we are shooting the poo poo over beers and yeah, I'll go and yell at the programmers to unfuck their poo poo when I get in on Monday."