Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE

Dr Tran posted:

I got the last one at Frys. $60 before a $15 rebate. So happy. No more docking station like on my MX1000. I can use the same charger as my phone.
60 dollars!? It's 100 dollars on the frys website. It also says 99.99 on the box you're holding up. How in the world did you get it for 60?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Dr Tran posted:

Holy poo poo! I've been to the same Fry's! Wassup Socal goon?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Instant Stalker posted:

60 dollars!? It's 100 dollars on the frys website. It also says 99.99 on the box you're holding up. How in the world did you get it for 60?

Today was the last day of their New Years sale.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Holy poo poo! I've been to the same Fry's! Wassup Socal goon?

I also went to Woodland Hills and they were out. Burbank also was seemingly out of them. I moped around the store for a bit when I saw this mouse on the floor.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I have a question about the deathadder.

For some odd reason, I have to now apply a lot of pressure in order to middle click. I'm not sure what the issue is (I hope it's not a broken button). Could someone help me diagnose what the hell is going on? Mousewheel scrolls fine, only the middle click is funky.

Weird, it somehow fixed itself. Maybe just clicking over and over again helped.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 8, 2010

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

GoldenNugget posted:

I have a question about the deathadder.

For some odd reason, I have to now apply a lot of pressure in order to middle click. I'm not sure what the issue is (I hope it's not a broken button). Could someone help me diagnose what the hell is going on? Mousewheel scrolls fine, only the middle click is funky.

Weird, it somehow fixed itself. Maybe just clicking over and over again helped.

Stop jizzing in your right hand and your mousewheel won't get all gunked up :)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I have this MediaPlay Cordless Mouse. It has served me so very well, but by this point, the blue rubber around the entire mouse is gone, and the rubber on the wheel is gone and it's just hard plastic.

I'd love another one of these, but they seem to be $150 for one from 3rd party sellers. I don't love it that much.

Is there anything I can get with a button that I can easily map to play/pause that won't be accidentally hit?

I have no problems with a sculpted righty mouse or a symmetrical mouse. I do want wireless. Logitech is preferred, but Microsoft makes some nice mice too.

I've also grown attached to side to side scrolling, so that's a must. Super fast scrolling might be the way to go...

The new Performance Mouse MX looks like it might be the way to go - can anyone tell me how easy it is to hit (or not hit) the bottom thumb button? Do most people hit it accidentally in every day use, or do you have to go out of your way to do so?

Also, has anyone had any experience with using a Magic Mouse in Windows on a non-mac? It's kinda gimmicky, but I could definitely enjoy it..

Wreckus
Dec 15, 2007

From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.

Full Circle posted:

Stop jizzing in your right hand and your mousewheel won't get all gunked up :)

This is why you should have gotten the Mamba... you can just use it in your other hand (temporarily) because it is wireless.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
First Performance Mouse impressions:

I dont like how my ringfinger is positioned. This will take getting used to.
So will the clickless scroll. It is plenty fast though.

Left and right scrolling is not easy with this scroll wheel. It doesn't stick out enough to tilt easily and the wheel is too sensitive to move left or right without first going up or down.

The button under the scroll wheel feels like its in the way. Doesn't do anything right now (I haven't installed Logitech software)

Neither does the zoom button under the back and forward buttons.

The thumb button takes a lot of pressure to press.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

First Performance Mouse impressions:

I dont like how my ringfinger is positioned. This will take getting used to.
So will the clickless scroll. It is plenty fast though.

Left and right scrolling is not easy with this scroll wheel. It doesn't stick out enough to tilt easily and the wheel is too sensitive to move left or right without first going up or down.

The button under the scroll wheel feels like its in the way. Doesn't do anything right now (I haven't installed Logitech software)

Neither does the zoom button under the back and forward buttons.

The thumb button takes a lot of pressure to press.

I got the Performance Mouse from Amazon for 60, back in Dec, its great.

But the button under the wheel is a mechanical switch for free scroll / click scroll. It should work fine without software.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Basfreak67 posted:

http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Mice/ROCCAT-Kone/?RID=a0894f76997809892516ec8092d89c1b

Just bought this off of ebay, with the Valo, Sense, and Kave, for ~300USD.

It's not here yet, but goddamn is that a pretty and practical mouse while retaining the BLUE LED madness.

Would love to hear how these worked, as they look quite nice and I'm very interested in them.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
has no one posted this yet? c'mon, mouse nerds... keep up.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/mad-catz-cyborg-rat-hands-on-true-customizable-mouse-madness/

apparently, the physical form of the mouse is adjustable. i like the idea, but the design... wat?

isagoon
Aug 31, 2009

by Peatpot

MasterWerk posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/mad-catz-cyborg-rat-hands-on-true-customizable-mouse-madness/

apparently, the physical form of the mouse is adjustable. i like the idea, but the design... wat?

Is that a second scroll wheel on the side? Apparently, it can also be wired or wireless.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MasterWerk posted:

It's like that transformer case. I want to hate, but then I go all :buddy:

Rat Supremacy
Jul 15, 2007

The custom title is an image and/or line of text that appears below your name in the forums
That is so awesome I'd buy one if I wasn't saving up for a suit.

Instant Stalker
Aug 8, 2002
JUST ADD RAPE
That mouse has some insane unusable dpi on it. I read the number on a gizmodo post and laughed out loud.

sixide
Oct 25, 2004

Instant Stalker posted:

That mouse has some insane unusable dpi on it. I read the number on a gizmodo post and laughed out loud.

5600 dpi, I found. Assuming the captured pixel array is around 30x30 (typical), it captures roughly 1/27th the area of a pinhead every frame. I hope your mousepad has lots of fine details!

sdk_mal
Sep 25, 2009

haywire posted:

My Razer Copperhead is excellent.

This.

punkrawk
Mar 10, 2003
Your mother is a whore
I've gone though several mice, and use the hell out of them. Between home and work I've had an MS explorer, MS Optical, MX518, Wave, tried the Revolution and returned it, and I now have the the Logitech Performance MX. They were all great (sans the wave), but the Performance MX is distinctly better.

Terrific feel + ergonomics cannot be understated. Also, great battery life, no docking station OR separate battery charger, Unified receiver, etc. Very minor squabble (to me anyway), but you will probably much have to give up useful lateral scrolling -- the wheel's ~1/8 inch too short for it. Amortizing the cost of $90 even over the 3 years or so I keep most mice (shorter than most I'd imagine), the comfort it provides will alone be worth $2.50 a month.

punkrawk fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 10, 2010

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

Rocking a G500 after using a Deathadder and then a G9 for a while. It does feel like a step up from the G9 as far as ergonomics, even if you fancy the 'claw' style. The dpi buttons and hyperscroll switch are in MUCH better spots and the the Forward thumb button isn't set quite so far towards the front of the mouse, making it easier to press. The new button between Forward and Back hasn't been hit by accident at all yet. The only con so far is accidentally hitting the side scroll directions on occasion, which I never did on the G9

I really liked the Deathadder but the software made it annoying to set macros and it didn't have per-application profile support (this was a year or so ago, the don't know if it's been added since). That was kind of a deal killer for me even though it felt and performed great.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
The Mad Catz mouse is rated at 5600 loving dpi? Jesus, if you look at that thing the wrong way the cursor might actually shoot through the side of your monitor and break it.

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

The G500 is 5700 dpi on it's highest setting. The highest I've used mine is around 3200 dpi, I think.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Just a quick question is there a point where dpi becomes redundant?

I used to play games on a standard Microsoft cheapo mouse and switched over to a Razer Boomslang and I could tell the difference, I absolutely loved my Boomslang but it only has a dpi of 1800, I haven't bought a gaming mouse in a long time and now they are all the way up to 5600 or higher. I really dont understand how much of a difference I would notice. Would it be similar to jumping from the cheap Microsoft to the Boomslang? or is it more of a :dong: thing "My dpi is 5 billion yours is only 4 :smug:"

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

KickStand posted:

Just a quick question is there a point where dpi becomes redundant?

I used to play games on a standard Microsoft cheapo mouse and switched over to a Razer Boomslang and I could tell the difference, I absolutely loved my Boomslang but it only has a dpi of 1800, I haven't bought a gaming mouse in a long time and now they are all the way up to 5600 or higher. I really dont understand how much of a difference I would notice. Would it be similar to jumping from the cheap Microsoft to the Boomslang? or is it more of a :dong: thing "My dpi is 5 billion yours is only 4 :smug:"

Actually using 5600 dpi is almost certifiably retarded. You can practically blink at the mouse and the pointer will streak from one side of the screen to the other. I honestly don't see how anyone could control anything at all with a mouse that sensitive.

What's more important, I think, is having a mouse with more modes of instantly adjustable DPI so you can adjust your sensitivity in-game on the fly, the more modes available the better. I bought a Logitech G5 a few years ago and still enjoy it, one of my favorite things about the mouse being the fact that it has 3 instantly available sensitivity settings. I usually adjust the mouse sensitivity using the middle DPI setting so when I'm in-game, I can go higher or lower if I need to. It tops out at 2000 DPI and I even find that to be too sensitive for most things.

Honestly, I really like the mouse, but if I could change it, I'd give it a few more thumb buttons, a better wheel, and instead of 3 DPI settings, I'd up the number to something like 5 or 7 for more variable DPI settings available at one time.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 8, 2010

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 5, 2023

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

MasterWerk posted:

First reaction is to hate the design, but look closely, it sort of makes sense. It looks like that because everything's adjustable. It's full of nice touches, the all metal side scroll wheel, thumb rest, discrete left and right buttons. It's one of the most unoffensive crazy expensive mice I've seen in a while. For once I'm temped to pull the trigger, at least a mouse is something I know will get used far into the future. Considering how many years I've been using this shitass Dexxa.

ravis
Jun 21, 2002
Since no one has mentioned it yet i have to say the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX is the best notebook mouse i've used so far. Its the first mouse that really tracks everywhere and is precise even with fast movement. Everything i had before either had problems on some polished surfaces like granite or on cloth etc. It's not bluetooth like the V470 i had before but i actually like logitechs new nano receiver more that bluetooth since i always had some lag and delay when switching the v470 on and its gone with the new one.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I got a logitech g500 since it's the mx518 + some. I like it enough. But it seems like it's too small for my hands. And I just have medium-ish hands. Not big by any means. I was going to get the Razer mamba but went for the mx518. I'd like to try the mamba before I invest into it.

My laptop ended up coming with a sweet mouse though. It's a rebadged HP voodoo. Same thing just with rubber material instead of that CF look and an Asus light up symbol.

It doesn't have as many features as the G500 but I think I like it better and will use it.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Gaming-Mouse-with-VooDooDNA/dp/B001HLF2KO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It's simple and cheap.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I tried the Mamba. I wanted to like it but really couldn't, after being used to the Logitech G5 for so long. The Mamba is too long for my tastes, and the battery adds a weird, off balance weight to it that I didn't like. Your hand is set to pick the mouse up in front, which is a very light part of the mouse, but the battery is set in the very back of the mouse, making that part heavier, so picking up the Mamba feels a little awkward because it's off balance, sort of like you're picking up a broom from the floor by grabbing the very tip of the stick. I mean it's obviously much more subtle than that, but if you're used to the Logitech G series mice, which are very well balanced, you'll feel it.

Also, the way the sides of the G series mice are shaped and textured really aids in picking them up. The Mamba's sides are slick plastic and fairly verticle, with not much edge to grab onto.

What the Mamba did have going for it, however, was the wheel, two side buttons, and the 7-step adjustable DPI. The Mamba's wheel was fantastic. It felt really smooth, was completely silent, and very easy to click. The DPI is easy to adjust and the adjustment buttons are unobtrusive. And, the side buttons are setup in good positions.

Still though, as much as I wanted to like the Mamba, I returned it and stuck with my G5. The best way to describe the difference, I guess, would be to say that the G5 disappears in my hand after a few minutes, while the Mamba constantly reminded me that I was using it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 8, 2010

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

GreatGreen posted:

I tried the Mamba. I wanted to like it but really couldn't, after being used to the Logitech G5 for so long. The Mamba is too long for my tastes, and the battery adds a weird, off balance weight to it that I didn't like. Your hand is set to pick the mouse up in front, which is a very light part of the mouse, but the battery is set in the very back of the mouse, making that part heavier, so picking up the Mamba feels a little awkward because it's off balance, sort of like you're picking up a broom from the floor by grabbing the very tip of the stick. I mean it's obviously much more subtle than that, but if you're used to the Logitech G series mice, which are very well balanced, you'll feel it.

Also, the way the sides of the G series mice are shaped and textured really aids in picking them up. The Mamba's sides are slick plastic and fairly verticle, with not much edge to grab onto.

What the Mamba did have going for it, however, was the wheel, two side buttons, and the 7-step adjustable DPI. The Mamba's wheel was fantastic. It felt really smooth, was completely silent, and very easy to click. The DPI is easy to adjust and the adjustment buttons are unobtrusive. And, the side buttons are setup in good positions.

Still though, as much as I wanted to like the Mamba, I returned it and stuck with my G5. The best way to describe the difference, I guess, would be to say that the G5 disappears in my hand after a few minutes, while the Mamba constantly reminded me that I was using it.

I use a mamba and I don't get what your complaint about the side-grip is. It has an indentation with a rubber grip on either side, and compared to the similarly shaped Deathadder is a lot easier to hold. As far as I'm concerned it's one of the better features of the mouse design.

You are absolutely right about the weight though. I love a heavy mouse but the balance is off when the battery is inside of it. Of course I really only used it wireless for WoW occasionally, so it isn't really a big deal for me, but if you want to use it wirelessly a lot then it could get annoying.

The wheel is pretty great but there's a design flaw that causes the wheel to start "squeaking" after a week of use or so. It gets very annoying. At least it doesn't tilt, goddamn I hate tilting mouse wheels.

The build quality in general could be better. The rubber grips are starting to peal a little bit and I've had one of the feet slide half-off a couple of times. It is probably one of the better wireless mice but I wouldn't really recommend it.

If I could take a Logitech MX518, add a tad bit of weight to it and replace the wheel with the wheel out of the original boomslang, I would have the perfect mouse.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Can-Goons: The last-gen Razer Deathadder is on sale at Canada Computers for $40 this week. It's 1800 DPI instead of the newest version's 3500 DPI, but I certainly won't notice the difference.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

quote:

If I could take a Logitech MX518, add a tad bit of weight to it and replace the wheel with the wheel out of the original boomslang, I would have the perfect mouse.

Anybody think it might actually be possible to do something like this? Has anybody ever made a Frankenmouse?

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 23, 2020

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I too love my G9. Initially I was shopping for a G7 but they were discontinued at the time, so I sucked it up and got the G9. I do not regret it. It's just so comfortable and I can't tolerate full-grip mice like the MX518, G5 or G7 anymore. I run mine with 4x 7g weights, since I came from a hefty wireless mouse, and it's great!

The rubber coating on the wide grip is peeling off, though :(

malefactor
Jul 23, 2006

by T. Finn

pugna posted:

I've got a wireless Logitech Performance MX at work and a wired G500 at home and both of them are fantastic. The MX has better software - since the G500 is aimed at gamers it's not quite as flexible in terms of keymappings etc, which is a pain. But aside from that minor niggle, the G500 is awesome. Solid and (adjustably!) weighty, cord that doesn't get all bunched up, awesome adjustable sensitivity, etc. I'd wholeheartedly recommend it.

http://uberoptions.net/

uberOptions: Enable all options on all buttons in SetPoint

dbcooper
Mar 21, 2008
Yams Fan
I recently picked up a Logitech G9 (not G9x) from Best Buy's website for a hair under $50.00 (w/ tax and shipping). Its an online-only deal:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Logitech+-+G9+Laser+Gaming+Mouse/8472324.p?id=1185265538878

So far I'm quite impressed. It feels really nice and there are several features that I didn't have before; adjustable weights/dpi, different "profiles", click or free-spin scroll wheel, changeable grips, etc. It feels good and besides a early snafu where the weight tray got stuck inside the mouse (wouldn't eject), it has been a wholly positive experience. Best mouse I've ever owned/used. Going from a cordless (looks like a Logitech LX3 but is wireless) to a corded (G9) doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference.

I've only done some RTS gaming w/ this mouse, so I can't say how useful it is for other types of games (e.g., using the adjustable DPI on FPS').

Just a few months ago I saw a MS Sidewinder (I think) in Best Buy--one w/ adjustable weights, dpi, etc.--and thought "Wow, what a load of crap--who needs this?". I guess it makes a difference (or I've just been bamboozled).

Seems to work well enough in Windows 7 (64-bit) and Ubuntu 9.10 (amd64). I haven't tried any complicated configurations, YMMV.

I think someone previously asked what weight configurations people were using in their G9. I'm currently at 16g. I just went w/ what I felt was a middle-range, I haven't adjusted it since.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Footboy posted:

I have the second mouse in that group, the IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. I love it, but it's starting to show its age -- the rubber on both sides has been peeling off, the silver finish is disappearing from the left-mouse button, and the mousewheel is starting to lose its click.

They still sell these. I bought one this year, even.

I did just cast it aside for a new trackball, and I couldn't be happier, tho. Sooo comfortable. <3 Logitech!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Has anyone tried out the Razer Imperator Gaming Mouse?

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
This has somehow managed to turn into a "Mouse recommendation thread", so I figured I might ask a mouse-related question here.

Over the last 10 years I've had 3 different mice;

Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 - It was a great mouse, but felt a bit too plastic-y. When it one day stopped responding to any rightclicks, I went and got a

Logitech MX518 and it was great. I did get a bit annoyed with the high pitched sound I could hear if I listened for it, but it was nothing major. Then for no reason it began glitching out, randomly disconnected from the PC and Logitech wanted nothing to do with it since it was outside warranty.

Microsoft Habu was the next one up. I've been happy with it, it felt like a updated Intellimouse 3.0. Then my dog takes a bite at the thin wire and look at that, no more Habu. The wires are so thin I don't think soldering will work.

All the mice above have been great to me. I've been thinking about getting a Logitech G500 as a replacement, and the only thing that worries me are the side-buttons that look prone to miss-clicking. I could get another MX518, but the G500 is only ~10$ more here (Sweden). Can someone with a G500 tell me how the side-button feel after having the mouse for some time? :)

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Lamquin posted:

This has somehow managed to turn into a "Mouse recommendation thread", so I figured I might ask a mouse-related question here.

Over the last 10 years I've had 3 different mice;

Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 - It was a great mouse, but felt a bit too plastic-y. When it one day stopped responding to any rightclicks, I went and got a

Logitech MX518 and it was great. I did get a bit annoyed with the high pitched sound I could hear if I listened for it, but it was nothing major. Then for no reason it began glitching out, randomly disconnected from the PC and Logitech wanted nothing to do with it since it was outside warranty.

Microsoft Habu was the next one up. I've been happy with it, it felt like a updated Intellimouse 3.0. Then my dog takes a bite at the thin wire and look at that, no more Habu. The wires are so thin I don't think soldering will work.

All the mice above have been great to me. I've been thinking about getting a Logitech G500 as a replacement, and the only thing that worries me are the side-buttons that look prone to miss-clicking. I could get another MX518, but the G500 is only ~10$ more here (Sweden). Can someone with a G500 tell me how the side-button feel after having the mouse for some time? :)

The buttons on my G15 are just fine. The one button in the middle on the side isn't really in the way, since the thumb groove is a little lower than it. The other buttons are also placed pretty well. I like having the sensitivity selector thing near the end of the left button, since it's easier for me to hit it there (and that way I don't forget it's there when I need it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

I have 2 G500s that I've been using for a while now, and have had no problems with either of them.