Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I love my G9. I switched to it from a MX revolution due to wireless lag on the Revolution. The Revolution is more comfortable and has the best scroll wheel of any mouse, (clicky at slow speeds, switches to free-spin at an adjustable threshold) but the G9 has no lag, and excellent movement/tracking. Both have middle buttons that are too difficult to press, but the G9 is less difficult. I like the on-board profile memory of the G9, and the application-based switcher.

Logitech should release a G9 with the MX Revolution's scroll wheel, and a middle button with a lighter touch. And the Revolution's rocker wheel.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

It seems like the main difference with having the sensor off-center is behavior when rotated: rotation of the mouse would affect cursor movement more dramatically. When I use the mouse, I avoid changing the rotation, and wouldn't want to magnify its effects.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Trustworthy posted:

Again touting my love for the G9x.

It's just about everything I've always wanted in a claw grip mouse. If the scroll-mode button was on top (like the G500), it would be perfect (for me).

Click here for the full 610x856 image.

It would be better if it auto switched scroll modes like the revolution does.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Full Circle posted:

funcmat archetype 1030 here. Been using the rough side for 4+ years of heavy gaming and I can't really see any noticible wear. Still sticks to the surface of the desk and the mouse still glides across it with the lightest touch.
Same. I think it's 5 or 6 years old here. It's flat and doesn't move around. With a G9.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

foodisgood posted:

The free spin is a treat compared to the M$ mice.
You'll really love the wheel on the MX Revolution. I'm using a G9 and love it, but miss the wheel on the revolution. It changed modes based on how fast you scrolled with an actuated mechanism.

GreatGreen posted:

God drat Logitech can be dumb sometimes. Everybody just wants an updated MX518.

Sorry for the :spergin: but goddamn.
I'm surprised y'all accepted the 518 over the 510. I think it's counter-strike players, or something.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 6, 2010

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Fatal Error posted:

Never change your windows sensitivity from 6/11 (the exact center) as this causes weird problems with your mouse's smoothness (can be proven with a mouse input reader, although the effect is very small)

'Enhance Pointer Precision' is windows maccel, in general unless you love it I'd turn it off and turn on maccel in a game where you use it (Good Quake3 players use this??)
Well, later (for real)
1: Do you have anything to back this up? Sounds like BS.

2: That's an odd recommendation, and reverse of what I like. I like mouse acceleration enhance pointer precision when using a cursor like in Windows and RTS games, but don't like it in first person games.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 17, 2010

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

sixide posted:

Windows mouse sensitivity uses integer math, for obvious reasons. Games with DirectInput/raw input don't suffer this problem.

Whether or not/wherever you like acceleration, nobody likes EPP. It's horrible. Threshold based acceleration just isn't useful.

Fatal Error posted:

This is completely known, and can be proven with an input reader. Nerds have gone aspergers over this many, many times and know about it. You can also use 3/11 which isn't 1:1 but doesn't cause it to be uneven I think (not sure about this)
Well, turned off "use OS native drivers" in logitech profile and set the os sensitivity to 1/2.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Using a G9x right now, and while not perfect it does the job well enough. I like the two large glide pads on it, instead of the standard four. It helps to keep them actually on the loving mouse instead of falling off after a few months. The middle click on the sucker is a little more stiff than I would like though.
I agree. My MX-revolution was the same way. I generally use the scroll directions in games rather than middle click, partially for this reason.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Goo posted:

I participate in the thread sparingly so that I don't look like I'm just whoring out our stuff, but I've been working on the G400 for a year now so I couldn't resist talking about it.
Don't know if you'd know anything about it or can answer it, but do you know if Logitech is planning a firmware fix for the reversal bug on the non-stick axes on the G940? They fixed it on the stick a few months ago, but the other axes are still jacked up, and it sounds like a firmware fix would work for them too.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 10, 2011

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

K8.0 posted:

The MX518's is the most functional and usable of any mouse out there.
I really liked the MX-revolution's scroll wheel that automatically switched between click and free spin modes; I wish my G9 had that functionality.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Bit the bullet and got the g9x. I tested some mice I listed and it was the only one that felt right for my massive spider fingers. :)
I also like my G9 and have long fingers.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Goo posted:

The G400 doesn't use SetPoint - it's been moved over to our gaming device configuration software (Logitech Gaming Software 8.0).

The sound you're describing is also present in the G400 I'm using as well as the MX518. I'm not sure what that's about, but I'll check. I can tell you that the buttons are rated to 10 million clicks, so what you're hearing won't be detrimental to its life span.
Any word regarding a firmware fix for the G940 reversal bug (feature?) on the throttle, rudder and aux axes. They fixed it on the stick several months ago.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Goo, is there any chance of a Logitech mechanically-actuated keyboard in the future?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Goo posted:

The overall height of the product, dimensions of the wheel module, and internal space constraints all drove that decision.
One of my main complaints about the G9 is that it doesn't have the auto-switch from free to clicky like the MX Revolution does. That feature is very useful. Do the newer Logitech mice have it?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Goo posted:

A disclaimer here is that I have no idea what the actual history on the auto-clutching wheel is, but I will add some additional insight.

In a broad product development sense, it always comes down to what consumers are willing to pay for. If a specific feature is not worth the added cost to consumers it doesn't always get to stay in the product line. Or, sometimes it's determined through research that the additional cost would be better spent improving other features. It's about optimizing the feature set to meet the market's needs. Sometimes this does mean that features some people like get dropped, though.
The MX Revolution has the best scroll wheel I've used. I had assumed it would become the standard for future mice.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm using a G9 and also think the wheel-press is too heavy. In games, I like wheel up = weapon 1, wheel down = 2, left=3 and right=4.

Make sure to bind wheel left in windows to ctrl+pgup and right to ctrl+tab. Switches tabs in browsers.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Longinus00 posted:

Why not bind right to ctrl+pgdn?
That works too.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

hohoh0 posted:

It looks like the Steelseries Sensei is finally available for order. Still going to wait a bit till it's added to Amazon.

http://steelseries.com/products/mice/steelseries-sensei
That looks a lot like the Intellimouse Explorer.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I really wish they'd just give up on the switching scroll wheel.
The automatic switching scroll wheel on the MX Revolution was fantastic. The manual one on the G9 isn't very useful.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dogen posted:

I wish they would give up on the horizontal side scrolling thing with the wheel, I like the other aspects of the G500 wheel.
Sounds like someone's never bound sidescroll to change tabs!

Crtl-pgup and Ctrl-pgdn, (or Ctrl-tab like Credo said)

vvvv Looks like we had this conversation in September.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 21, 2011

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

unpronounceable posted:

What do you use to bind controls to the mouse like this? I have a Logitech M500 if it matters.
SetPoint.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

chizad posted:

I've got a Logitech MX Revolution and, just like all the other wireless Logitech mice I've owned, I'm starting to have problems getting it to charge when I put it in the charging cradle. Instead of just being able to put it in there and have it charge, I have to fiddle around to get it to start charging. I actually got this a few years ago as a warranty replacement for my last mouse when it started having this problem, so I doubt it's still under warranty.

I really like the shape and button layout of the MX Revolution, but I think I'm done with wireless mice. Looking on Logitech's site, I'm not seeing anything corded that's the exact same shape as the MX Revolution. The G500 and the G9x do come somewhat close though. What other options are out there for something similar in design to the MX Revolution?
I replaced my MX Revolution with a G9 due to the Revolution's lag. Solid replacement. My main complaint is that the scroll wheel doesn't have the auto-switch clutch; you have to switch modes manually with a button under the mouse, which is more trouble than it's worth. The MX revolution has the best mouse wheel of any mouse, and I'm disappointed that Logitech didn't put it on their newer mice.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

That 70s Shirt posted:

I'm looking at the G9X to replace my dying MX Revolution, but looking at consumer reviews it appears that people have two big issues with it. The first is that the braided cable can kink and ruin itself; the second is that, since the laser isn't centered on the bottom, that if you pivot the mouse instead of move it directly left/right/up/down it can throw the cursor off in unintended directions.

Any goons have anything to say on these two issues? Are they as bad as people make them out to be?
I switched from a Revolution to a G9. Have a cosmetic kink, but only because I melted the cable under my laptop. No issue with the off-center laser.

However, the weight compartment kind of fell apart (a small plastic piece fell out), and now I have the weight compartment out so it doesn't rattle.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 30, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm looking for a mouse for OS/games. I have a Logitech G9 that I've been using for years and love, but now I need one for my laptop (or if I like it better than the G9, I'll put it on the desktop and use the G9 on the laptop). Not really budget conscious. Must be wired.

G400/500? Something by Razr? G9x?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey guys,

I am looking for an ergonomical mouse. While I rarely do desk work for more than 6 hours per day, when I do, I start developing pain in my wrist. I would like to put that to an end.

Are vertical mice any good? Are they any better/worse than the Logitech MX Revolution?

Thanks.
I loved my MX Rev, mostly. Comfortable, and the scroll wheel clutch is wonderful (It switches between click and free spin mode depending on a customizable speed threshold - I wish more mice had that option) I replaced it with a G9 due to mouse lag.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I also use MotionJoy, always in XBox emulation mode. It's unfortunate that you have to enable Xbox mode every time you reboot. It works wirelessly if your computer has blutooth support.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Digital_Jesus posted:

There isn't a reason to uninstall it. It uses a whopping total of 40MB of disk space. Also fairly sure that if you have multiple profiles set for different .exes they won't switch over on game load.
I haven't had it installed in about a year. I reformatted and never bothered installing it since the onboard memory works well.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I've been using a G9 for four years. Need another mouse, so I can have one for my desktop, one for laptop. The G9's getting a bit crusty. and the weight tray no longer works (a piece popped out and now it rattles if the tray's in). I was considering a G500, but went with a G9x since the G9's comfortable with my long fingers. Relegating the aging G9 to travel/laptop duty.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Tulip posted:

I'm pretty much permanently travelling, so durability is at a premium. Just get another G500 or is there something that's a fairly clear upgrade?
My understanding is that the G500, G9x are the flagship mice from logitech. G500 for palm grip, G9x for claw. I've heard good things about the Razer Deathadder; worth looking into since some like it better than either Logitech mouse.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Rudi Starnberg posted:

So my old G9 is finaly starting to die, and I'm wondering about replacements. Whilst I've loved the gently caress out of this mouse I feel I'm not 100% getting my money's worth out of it since I dont use half its features.

Things I like about the G9:

The shape
The weight
The thumb buttons
Reasonably high DPS

Things I've never really used:

Pushing the scoll wheel side to side
The insanely high dps
The scroll wheel brake on/off

So what I'm wondering is; is there a slightly cheaper option that still has the features of the G9 I want without my having to pay for all the stuff I don't want too?
I was in the same position recently. I considered the G500 and the Razer Deathadder. Ended up with a G9X, relegating the G9 to laptop duty. The deathadder's $48 on Amazon Prime or $50 shipped on Newegg, and some people like it more than the G9x.

If you're not using the side-side-scroll for switching tabs in browsers, try it! Bind left scroll to ctrl+pgup and right scroll to ctrl+pgdn

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 7, 2012

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Naturally Selected posted:

So, looking for a new mouse. I'm a Logitech fanboy, so of course was looking at the G700, but thought I would ask anyways: is there anything in the same price range that's equivalent/better/different that is still as ergonomic/flexible?
G9x.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The Gasmask posted:

I never put much thought into how I held the mouse until 2 days ago when I got the G9x, and I'm starting to see why some people use the claw grip or two fingers. I just assumed everyone naturally palmed and the claw grip was just some thing leet CS players did for the hell of it.

I'm also realizing clawing is pretty uncomfortable for me, and maybe the G9x won't work out after all. My hands are just a hair too big to properly hold it :(. I may grab the palm version of that (on my phone so I can't look up the model easily). It's got the same laser, right? Only difference is the size of weights, shape, and no exchangeable grip?
The closest thing to a palm-grip G9x is the G500.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I think I'm the only one who liked the MX revolution's scroll wheel clutch. It would change from click-mode to free-spinning automatically based on a wheel speed threshold you set in software.

The mechanical lock on the G9/x isn't useful because you have to lift the mouse and push a button under it to cycle it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Confounding Factor posted:

For all the Logitech users, do you have SetPoint installed? I'm a little nervous installing it for my G700 since it gave my old G9x alot of issues such as freezing my mouse for short burts (a few seconds). I want to play around with the DPI settings than what's already set on the deafult profiles. Just want to hear from your guys' experience.
Since your concerned, if the G700's like the G9, you could install SetPoint, save your settings to a profile loaded on the mouse's memory, then uninstall SetPoint. Your settings will be saved, and will work with the mouse on any computer. I used my G9 for a year without SetPoint installed this way.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

As far as I know, the automatic clutch was a one-off that only existed in the MX Revolution. All subsequent hyperscroll mice have had a mechanical toggle switch somewhere on the mouse (most frequently just behind the wheel) to switch modes.

It was really cool to have that feature -- lots of fun alt-tabbing between programs that you had set up for alternate modes and hearing the mouse go "kachunk" as it switched over -- but that thing was $130 new, and the electromechanical hardware probably took up a fair bit of space inside. So, alas, you're out of luck
Oh well. It and the G9 came out at the same timish/price point, but I ended up switching form the revolution to the G9 due to the drat wireless lag. (Granted, it lagged less than the MX1000 and MX700I used before it) I miss that scroll wheel.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Hey dudes, looking to possibly replace my mouse. I'm currently running a G9X; wondering if anything better's come out within the last 7 years since I bought it. I'm looking for a scrollwheel that can switch between free and click (ideally with a clutch auto-switcher like the MX-revolution; that was awesome), and ideally a grip where your palm isn't on the mouse, like the G9. Needs to have foward/back thumb buttons, and the scroll wheel needs to tilt. Any suggestions? If not, may stick with what I have.

Do wireless mice still lag?

It looks like the Logitch G502 may be my best bet; looks super dorky though. The top review for it on Amazon's a favourable comparison to the G9. No clutch scroll though.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 4, 2015

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Initial impressions of G502 compared to G9/X: It feels like a combination of the MX Rev and G9. The rubber grip and shape remind me of the Revolution. The scroll wheel, while clutchless, feels more like the Rev as well; It carries inertia better than the G9, and is easier to scroll with. The top button to switch between free and click is much more convenient than having one on the bottom. The extra, programmable buttons are nice. The movement's a bit smoother, although this might be due to the feet of my G9 being worn out. It's larger and heavier than the G9. I think I like it more. I don't miss the play of the swappable shells. I appreciate how I can disable the LEDs.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 13, 2015

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Turn it off in the settings.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

isndl posted:

I've just been using the default Windows drivers so I don't have the Logitech software installed, and the light doesn't bother me enough to go out of my way to install it. :shrug:
It's worth it to install the Logitech drivers, and set up your profile on onboard memory when you first get the mouse. You can then delete the software if you want, and the profile will stay on the mouse, for any computer and OS you use indefinitely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

illezt posted:

I don't know why goons have such a raging fetish for Logitech mice over everything else (they're good mice but they're certainly not the only good ones), but the g402 and g502 are nothing like the Intellimouse... and I also think the g502 looks like garbage personally.
They're reliable, and Logitech has outstanding customer support. When comparing mice, I noticed others lacked useful features that Logitech uses, like side-scrolling and free/click switch scrolling.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 14, 2015