Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

stonewall posted:

I bought a Sidewinder X5 recently, because it was on sale open box from Newegg for 20 dollars. I moved to it from the Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse that redeyes loves. I definitely enjoy the 3000 and all, I own two of them. However, I prefer a larger mouse, and the sidewinder is big and comfy. Not to mention that the macro recording is awfully nice. Couple that with an accurate laser and a really low price, and I'm sold.

I loved the X5 and the only problem with the Microsoft mice is taking them apart to clean them. After accidentally breaking mine, I went and bought the X8 and holy poo poo its the best wireless mouse I've ever used. The best thing about the X5+ is that their side buttons are actually placed well - the front/back design can be a pain in the rear end to use depending on the size of your hand, but rolling your thumb up/down is so much more intuitive to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Chexxum posted:

Can anyone that has used both the MX Revolution and the Razer Mamba chime in with their thoughts? I ordered the MX 5500 (wireless keyboard+MX Rev) bundle for 84.99 and I'm thinking about cancelling it and getting the Mamba from Woot. I've used an MX1000 for gaming over the past 6 years and never noticed any delay, but the 1ms response time on the Mamba sounds appealing. The crappy build quality stories and the 90 day warranty sounds pretty scary though.

To be honest, I'd grab the Microsoft X8 over the Mamba. It's not quite as sleek, but feels better ergonomically, the mouse buttons are placed better, has better battery life (uses a standard MiMH user replacable battery) and is significantly cheaper. All you're getting for the extra cash when you buy the Mamba is the look, double the polling rate (500 vs 1000) and the quality control problems.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Anyone know of any decent mice with the side buttons on top of each other like the Microsoft X series? I've got an X8 and love it, but I'd prefer something with a non-metal wheel in the middle as my finger can get a bit sore after a while if I use it extensively.

Edit: I don't really care whether its wired or not - half the time I only remember its a wireless mouse if they battery is low and it starts flashing at me.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

spasticColon posted:

I did a comparison and the grip texture on my G500 is rougher than on my G5 but I don't have a problem with it but apparently some people do. The thumb button layout does look better on the G700 but its wireless meaning you have to worry about recharges and potential wireless dropouts. The $90 pricetag doesn't sit well with me either especially since I got my G500 on sale for $35. The way I see it, different people are going to like a different gaming mouse. Some people seem be like "You can have my MX518 when you pry it from my cold dead hands." I knew the MX518 was popular but it seems to have a cult following in a way. I may get one if they go on sale just out of curiosity.

To be honest, the wireless on the G700 probably doesn't mean anything if its as good as the wireless on the Sidewinder X8. And either way when the batteries get low you can hook the cord on (probably magnetically) and it'll act like a normal wired mouse. The X8 would be perfect if it wasn't for the mouse wheel being all metal like it is. :(

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Well I found out that razer mouse pads only work with razer mice. My Megasoma will not track on the Sidewinder x5 or the Mx518 at all. It just jitterd all over the place and makes it hard to do things in Windows let alone games. Now I need to get a new hard mouse pad in the New Year.

The Goliathus works fine with the Sidewinder X8, so its probably a fault of the silicone the Megasoma has.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

I recommend the openofficemouse

I think I'd much rather prefer the SteelSeries Cataclysm mouse. Not sure if the application-aware software works for more than WoW, but it does manage to fit 14 buttons on a mouse that does look moderately decent.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Hokasai posted:

When buying parts from Newegg, I got a discount on getting a Razer Mamba. I got it for about $70 and it is comfortable, not too heavy and not too light, responsive, and it's wireless option is perfect for when I rearrange my monitors and table for a home theater setup. I didn't notice any drop in responsiveness when switching back and forth between wired and wireless.

Really, though: it's pretty excessive. My only (broken now) Logitec G3 wired was perfectly fine. Don't go overboard with Razer unless you like the extra fidelity and wireless option. As of this post, $120 is just to much for a ricer mouse.

As someone who owns a Mamba and a Sidewinder X8, the X8 is a vastly superior mouse in every aspect except its mouse wheel. The Mamba's cord docking mechanism is a pain in the rear end compared to the X8's magnetic clip, mouse4 & mouse5 is better with a vertical orientation as opposed to the horizontal, its about half the price, the battery at least seems to last longer and its half the price. The only thing the Mamba has going for it is that the rubber mousewheel is significantly better during longer sessions than the pure metal one the X8 has.

That being said, my next mouse (as soon as I can find one for a reasonable price) will probably be the Steelseries Cataclysm MMO mouse. The Xai laser, fairly ergonomic design, vertical side buttons (the two bottom and top one closest to the rear look like they'll be pretty good for usage), rubber wheel and an onboard memory for a stored profile makes for what looks like it may be the perfect mouse.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

redstormpopcorn posted:

I rather like my Sidewinder X8, which just happens to be about $50 on Amazon right now.

I'll happily second it. The Microsoft Sidewinder stuff is built pretty damned solidly and the X8 is probably the best wireless mouse on the market.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Woolie Wool posted:

I saw an eBay listing for a clone of a Razer Diamondback made by "Sunsonny". Are these Chinese knockoffs as incredibly lovely as I suspect they are?

$11 for a copy of a mouse that originally retailed for $45 sure is a bad sign. So is the fact that I can't find any reviews or descriptions of the mouse in Google, only links to bulk China importers.

On the plus side, Razer's quality control is bad enough that it isn't likely that the knockoff could be much worse than the original.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

My Razer Habu developed it in less than 6 months. Because :australia: I said gently caress it and just bought another mouse rather than try and send that thing in for warranty.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Why didn't you just take it back for a refund? As long as you have a receipt it's illegal in Australia for a retailer to refuse to provide a refund for a damaged product, or a product that didn't last a reasonable period of time (given expectations for that type of product/price/etc). Warranties are almost meaningless here because we have much stronger protections built into the law.

I got it from MSY back when they first stocked it and their customer service was significantly worse than it is these days.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The Zowie AM or Zowie EC1 look like they're pretty much exact replicas of the Microsoft AC 1.1 and 3.0 respectively, so you could try them as options too.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Regular Dude posted:

Umart have the G700S for $99. All stores ship to anywhere in Australia, but if you order from the store that's closest to your location it'll get to you quicker.

Once you add the shipping from Umart onto it, you're paying about $120 anyway.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Agreed posted:

Is there anything VERY BAD about this product that I should be aware of before I invest in it?

It's a Razer mouse, so discounting the whole software side, expect it to have to replace it within a year or so as it's pretty much guaranteed with Razer's build quality these days that SOMETHING will give out on it.

If you really want a design like an Intellimouse, then you should be going for one of the Zowie mice which are pretty much direct clones. The DPI isn't *as* high, but you probably won't notice the difference between 2300 and 4000 and it doesn't require you to install Razer's lovely drivers.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

MrCodeDude posted:

I love Razer mice. Had two Diamondback's, one of those TRON branded ones and am now on my third DeathAdder. Would not use another mouse, but they break like clockwork. Usually it's a button issue, but they are either not built to last or I have had the worst luck with their mice.

The only mouse of theirs I've had that hasn't broken on me within a year (Diamondback, Copperhead, Habu, Deathadder, Lachesis, Naga, Mamba) is a Salmosa and thats because I only use it when I take my laptop out for LAN's. Pretty much all of them died due to the poor quality of the switches under the mouse buttons, but the rubber coating for their mice likes to disintegrate too. The same goes for every single person I know who uses their mice.

On the other hand, their mechanical keyboards are pretty damned sturdy and the only reason I gave away my BlackWidow v1 is because I got lured away by the dedicated media controls on the Corsair board.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

dissss posted:

I'm using a G602 and the only thing I'd complain about is the dpi adjust buttons feel cheap and wobbly.

The batteries it came with lasted months, and I haven't had to recharge the Eneloops I replaced them with yet sobo wouldn't worry about that.

You obviously don't use the side buttons that much. The pointed hard plastic pointed edge shape they've gone for with the buttons is horrendous to use and has me looking at a different mouse to buy just due to the amount of discomfort I get after using them for a while.

If you don't use the side buttons the mouse is fantastic for battery life (especially coming from the 702 with its disappointing battery life), but the side buttons are a deal breaker for any extended session.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Astrobastard posted:

G502 is great, best Mouse I've owned since the MS Sidewinder, god I miss that thing

The Sidewinder X8? I loved the gently caress out of that mouse. Best wireless/wired gaming mouse I've ever owned. If someone made something with similar ergonomics and button layout, I'd buy the gently caress out of it.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Edit: see above

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Horizontal Tree posted:

Its worth noting that while the shapes are pretty similar, the sizes are pretty different. The M705 is a lot smaller (though not quite micro-mouse size) and the G700s is a full sized gaming mouse. Both are solid though!

It's also worth noting that those pointed hard side mouse buttons are loving terriblly designed and will cause your thumb to be as sore as hell after prolonged use.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

redeyes posted:

Assuming you bought that sideways mouse because you need something easier on your arm/carpel tunnel. Guess what? Dragging a heavy mouse around is going to make it worse, not better.

Enjoy your heavy mouse!

The Anker is pretty damned light actually. It weighs about 80% of the G502 or 50% of the G403.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Try contacting Logitech CS?

Logitech's Customer Support in Australia is loving pathetic and completely useless. They're even worse than Razer and only very slightly better than trying to get support from one of the random online grey market retailers.

Thankfully the consumer protection laws are pretty good so we can just go to the retailer and in most cases they have to solve it, because dealing with Logitech AU's lovely support is a nightmare.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

What type of mouse should I get for my desk at work? Seems like if you look for a wired mouse, they're all gaming mice. I have a G502 at home for gaming but I'm sure that's overkill at work. Ideally I'll get it from Best Buy.

Depending on what you need it for. For my work, I'm a fan of the Anker Wireless Vertical mouse (or one of the other cheap amazon chinese clones). It's cheap and it stops my wrist from getting all kinds of hosed up due to RSI.

Edit: Also because of the price, I don't mind keeping a spare in case one dies or someone decides to pinch it.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Mar 19, 2019

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

What exactly happens, mechanically or electrically, that causes the double clicking bug?

If its a mechanical issue, its usually the switches loving up - either because they're cheap or because gunk has gotten in them.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

For a "good enough" cheap gaming mouse, I've been pleasantly surprised by the Redragon M652 for around US$13. I got it as something to temporarily place my Logitech G403 which I need to RMA because of it's poo poo quality scroll wheel, but I might just use it full time instead.

It feels pretty good in the hand, and it's pretty nice not having to recharge the mouse daily and having a scroll wheel that actually works without constantly trying to deal with its lovely rotary encoder that constantly craps out. And while I'm sure I could get a mouse with a much better sensor, this one works well enough and has a stable wireless connection for my lovely old gaming reflexes to deal with.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

polka posted:

I would like to upgrade from my G400s to something lighter. I've been using Logitech bean-shaped mice (G5, G500, G500s, G400s) for more than a decade and I'm really comfortable with the shape. I can play for hours at a time without any discomfort. I'm a palm-grip user and mostly play FPS. I really don't have a major gripes with my G400s aside from the fact that it weighs 133g apparently and I want to get on the light gaming mouse bandwagon to see what the fuss is about. I like the 2 thumb buttons and the clicky scroll wheel. I have no need for RGB and free spinning scroll wheel.

I haven't been mouse shopping for a while and the choice of mice from Logitech alone is a lot to consider. Currently the G403 looks to be what I'm looking for. Any other good alternatives? Also, are wireless gaming mice for competitive gaming really a thing?

Do NOT get the G403. Either google "g403 mouse wheel" or just look at my previous post. There's a known defect with the mousewheel which will eventually cause it to become unusable. Also if you go the wireless version, the battery only lasts a day, which is complete and utter dogshit these days.

Edit: This also applies to the G603 from memory. I can't remember if any other mice are effected, but the rotary encoders that Logitech used in at least a few of their premium priced mice models are complete and utter poo poo.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 22, 2020

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

GruntyThrst posted:

Based on those I'm looking at the G502 wireless (big surprise), the G604 (currently on sale), and the G Pro (doesn't have the extra buttons but I've heard very good things. Might be too small, though?)

I've recently got the G502 wireless and I'm liking it - but if it was available here (it's exclusive to one store in Australia which is "awaiting stock") I probably would have actually went for the Razer Basilisk Ultimate instead. It's basically a G502 without the infinite scrollwheel but with optical switches, charging dock, a better placed sniper button and PTFE feet instead.

Oh and amazingly, the fact that the Razer Synapse 3 software which is still poo poo, doesn't feel anywhere near as buggy as the Logitech GHub offering still does.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Bakalakadaka posted:

That's an interesting idea because it's definitely super noticeable in games like Path of Exile, AOE2DE, and FFXIV and I don't really play FPS or MOBA. A lot more precise single clicks for inventory/unit management instead of mashing.

Might look into this because I just replaced my g613 with a blackwidow v3 pro (the new wireless one) because wireless mechanical keyboards are super rare and this one at least works fine so far without using the software (can't mess with the lights but ehh the default setting is inoffensive and the battery lasts all day).

E: the razer basilisk looks worth trying!

I've had both the Logitech G502 and the Razer Basilisk Ultimate for around 6-9 months now and with two very small exceptions (the infinite scrollwheel and the placement of the sniper button) the Basilisk is superior in every single way. The Basilisk has a dock (which flashes red when the mouse battery is getting low), is lighter, has a lower click latency and better software (GHUB is like Razer Synapse 2 levels of bad when it fucks up - Synapse 3 has been surprisingly decent for me).

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

2 pronged question:

For WAH office use, is the Logitech MX Master 3 basically the best option?

For gaming use, if I love the G502 but wish it was wireless and lighter, is the G502 wireless the best option or should I consider a different manufacturer?

For gaming, the Razer Basilisk Ultimate is better than the G502 wireless. Literally the only thing the G502 has on it is the infinite scroll wheel and slightly more accessible sniper button. The scroll on its lowest resistance has no tactile feel and is kind of similar, and I find the sniper button position useless on both of them, so that makes no difference to me. Oh and the Basilisk has the optical switches instead of the lovely ones that fail after a year that Logitech have been using.

I use my G502 wireless for work, but for literally everything else I use the Basilisk.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 22, 2021

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Martian Manfucker posted:

Barring that, is there a similar mouse that has longer lasting switches in it for a similar price?

Razer Basilisk Ultimate. It has the same shape and is superior in every way (apart from the sniper button) to the G502 and has optical switches. Mine has been going strong for the last year and a half now. Pretty much the only trouble I've had with mine is the contacts on the dock and that just means I run it wired instead of wireless until I can be assed cleaning them.

Edit: Holy gently caress it feels super wierd praising Razer for reliability & longevity, but their stuff with optical switches have all been really decent so far from what I've seen.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 27, 2021

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

K8.0 posted:

Also, while I definitely can recommend the Viper Ultimate, it's worth pointing out that other mice with optical switches have been hitting the market recently. Now is a great time to be in the mouse market, but the current info changes daily for some of these newer products.

I love my Basilisk Ultimate, but I've got a Cooler Master MM731 on the way to test that out. It's also got optical switches and is 59g wireless (without a honeycomb shell).

The one thing to be aware of with Razer is they (relatively) recently came out with a v2 of their optical switches, so you might have a different experience if you get old stock vs new stock - not that I've had any problems with my v1's.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Yerok posted:

Pulsar's EC2 clone is now wireless, 58 grams, and has a 3370 and Kailh 8.0's. If I could change anything it would be swapping the scroll wheel encoder out for a slightly more tactile one.

Have a look at the MM730 - it's got the 3370, is 59g, a body that doesn't look like a grater, battery life that does last for days, and optical switches that don't feel any worse than the v1 Razer opticals. So far I've been pleasantly surprised by it.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

isndl posted:

The only reason to buy Razer is for the optical switches on a couple models, since the double-click issue has become increasingly common. That's essentially trading one type of hardware failure for another though, and the software suite is a downgrade by pretty much any metric.

I've had significantly less problems with Synapse 3 than I did at any point with whatever bloated piece of poo poo Logitech is using (is it still Ghub? LGS was finicky too).

Synapse 2 was pretty bad though.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

The Razer Basilisk series have optical switches. I've got an original Ultimate and it's still going strong after 2+ years.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

buglord posted:

Id rather not get a dongle to downgrade to USB 2 and then also introduce one more wire.

I ended up compromising a bit when I had similar issues and ended up getting a powered USB hub with like 7-8 ports and double-sided taping it to the corner of my desk (part of my issue was with the signal trying to travel through the furniture). I'm still mostly wireless and gives me quick access for changing peripherals.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 23, 2022

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As a former G502 user, I would look into the Roccat Kone XP. I offer no qualifications other than that's my current brand at the moment, and a month in, the mouse that I have has yet to fail me like the Steelseries Prime did.

Also gently caress Razer.

Bitch about Razer all you want, but the Basilisk Ultimate has been rock solid for me for over 2 years now. I only have one complaint about it and thats the Razer Game Manager service which is a loving resource hog, but is easily disabled.

Saoshyant posted:

I have this thing (Microsoft L6V Ergonomic Sculpt Mouse):

Please advice on how to proceed other than "buy another one"?

Edit: and just as I posted this I remembered that the best English keyword (I'm ESL here) to open up an item is "tear down". Just found a video on Youtube, guess I'm going to go find a plastic piece to try and pry open the thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj7LMg3iZkk

I had the same problem, and though I did take it apart, I was still having occasional issues with that button afterwards so I eventually just said gently caress it and bought a replacement mouse (which at least for me was tax deductible as it was purely for work). From what I remember, cleaning those buttons was a bit finnicky because of the layout of the internals, possibly something to do with springs that were sent flying easily or something.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

Razer's actual products aren't the problem, the malware attached to them is the problem.

Here's a little bit of a revelation for you. Nearly all hardware companies have lovely software. Coolermaster's MasterPlus is crap, Corsair's iCue is crap, Logitech's Ghub is crap, Steelseries GG is crap, Razer Synapse is crap. They've all got their idiosyncrasies that make them a loving pain in the rear end in some way or another to work with.

Whining about one specific company when literally every major hardware manufacturer has crap software you have to deal with is just blind fanboyism at this point.

Instead, look at the actual hardware. My Razer Basilisk Ultimate has been rock solid for over 2 years, my CoolerMaster MM731 is working mostly okay (it's got some issues, but is part of the batch affected by the MM731 replacement program, so I'm holding off judgement until I get my replacement), my G502 Hero, Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless and Corsair M65 Pro all developed double clicking issues within a year.

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 17, 2022

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

K8.0 posted:

It's pretty cool that the newest version of Synapse has once again brought back the non-pageable memory leak as well as introducing a convenient feature to factory reset both your onboard and Synapse profiles.

This poo poo is why I will always hate RGB. If all this software did was let you set DPI and button bindings and see battery level, there is no chance in hell it would be half this poo poo.

The memory leak is the Razer Game Manager service. Disable it as per the link below (you can export that specific registry key it to a .reg file once done and then disable the service/merge the registry file again when the program updates if they don't fix it).

https://old.reddit.com/r/razer/comments/kpp3hu/ysk_how_to_disable_razer_game_manager_service_as/

Tornhelm fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Vegetable posted:

Dumb semi-related question: is there anything I can buy to keep my hands warm while using a mouse? I’m thinking like a giant mitten that’s flat at the bottom that can accommodate a palm a mouse and then some. Or something like that.

Have you tried a pair of the cheap thin spandex/nylon fingerless compression gloves? Generally they've been more than enough for me to keep my hands warm when needed, and they're thin enough to not interfere with using the mouse/keyboard.