Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I just got the Logitech Performance MX and I love the design, ergonomics, rechargeable battery + cord, the textured sides and even the weight of it but the scroll wheel/middleclick is bugging the poo poo out of me.

Is it normal for that middle click to be so hard to hit?

For now I've set the scroll-left to middle click but it's still difficult to hit without scrolling while the wheel is free. I could just bind one of the four thumb buttons to do this but I'm too used to opening new tabs with it.

I think I'll try it for a few more days and if it's still bugging me trade it in for either a Marathon, Anywhere or M510. I'd even go for the G700 if I wasn't worried about having the same problems with the wheel.

Anyone else had a similar problem with the scrollwheel or good experiences with any of these Logitech mice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Griz posted:

My MX Revolution was like that and I had to remap the tilt-wheel to middleclick because it was too hard to click it without accidentally scrolling.

Then it broke (yet another bad left button) so I got the small cheap Logitech M305 with 2 buttons and a tilt-wheel to use while I wait for them to replace it with a Performance MX. The wheel isn't free-spinning so it's easier to click without scrolling, but you have to press really hard and I ended up remapping tilt again because it's easier to use.

What I ended up doing (and I still have twenty-something days to exchange it at Best Buy) is remapping the lower of the three thumb buttons (not the big rubberized one on the rest) to middle click because it's the resting position of my thumb and using the unreliable scroll button for "next" and the left and right scrolls for volume.

The offset angle of using my thumb is kind of annoying and might be more so for gaming though. According to the comments on Logitech's forums a lot of people have had problems with the scroll click and they will mail you a replacement while allowing you to keep using yours until you receive it as long as you give them a valid credit card number for a deposit. With free shipping that's an incredible reason to stay with the Performance, as I love the feel of this thing. I could be wrong about this policy though and should probably call and ask if they still do.

I wish BB would carry that Sidewinder X8 mentioned above too. You'd think they'd have it for order on their website even if they don't want to stock it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Medikit posted:

My Logitech Mx300 just broke. I've been using it for almost 10 years. Before using this mouse I had used a Microsoft intellimouse with a ball so you can see I am picky and partial to mice. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money. I don't really want a lot of buttons on my mouse, I just want something that is comfortable and works well.

These appear to be similar to what I am looking for:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/comfort-mouse-6000/S7J-00001#overview
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Abyssus-Precision-Optical-Gaming/dp/B002XLR0JI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/basic-optical-mouse/P58-00022
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Performance-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B0007Z1M50/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2

Anyone have any experience with the above?

Also, whatever this thing is it is way too advanced for me: http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/touch-mouse/3KJ-00001

It's sort of a long shot for a ten y/o mouse, but you could try contacting Logitech and politely asking if it can be fixed. I read a lot of their (and other sites') support forums after I bought my Performance MX and the one thing that convinced me to keep it was so many people saying how good their return policies were. There's a slim chance they'd replace yours. Satisfying a picky customer generates a lot of positive press to offset some of the bad stuff about screwy scroll wheels, I think.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

thrawn86 posted:

theres no excuse to not own a performance mousepad these days, they're like 15 bucks.

Really, I'm using a performance barstool and my Performance MX is working pretty good.

Although, the only FPS I still play is Team Fortress. Your mileage may vary, and so on.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wiru posted:

So I'm in Japan with my laptop and I realised that I didn't bring my G5.

Off to the shop to get another Logite-

:stare:

The factories must be selling the molds because that looks a lot like my mouse.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pertplus posted:

Does anyone who has been around this desk know if mice can track on it (without a mousepad)?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39842986#/S49870846/
(ikea galant in glass black)

Any Logitech with Darkfield... err there's only two? Should be able to handle that. There are probably some other manufacturers who do the same.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Goo posted:

The Darkfield laser in the Performance MX uses battery life faster because the amount of information the sensor needs to collect to track on glass is significantly higher than, say, the VX Revolution. If you want a mouse with long battery life, there are mice with sensors that are designed to get longer battery life. There's a very real tradeoff between exceptionally high performance (like tracking on glass) and battery life. You can get very good tracking performance with significantly improved battery life by selecting a different product.

Yeah, mine goes about three days before I have to plug it in. My old Intellimouse lasted forever on one AA. I still prefer it, but it means I have to pack one more cord when traveling.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lemur Crisis posted:

Is repainting mice a thing that can practically be done? I can't find one that looks just exactly right, so I'd like to do that provided it doesn't require stupidly expensive paint or something.

Here's someone who did an okay job of it. I would think model paint or fingernail polish would be cool if you had a beige mouse you wanted to art up, although I don't know about the hand feel after it dries.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

My MX518 does the same thing. It doesn't bother me though, because I can only hear it if my ear is about <6 inches from the mouse.

Holy poo poo I just held my Performance MX up to my ear and it does it too. :wth:

It seems to be coming from the DarkField laser port thingie. And the frequency noodles around as I move it over my ear.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

slovach posted:

I bought a G400 as a replacement to my MX518 which developed the dreaded cable problem. It failed with the same problem despite a selling point of it being that they reinforced it. Now the replacement to my replacement has failed. :negative:

These cables apparently have the strength of rice paper or some poo poo. Cable was completely unobstructed, enough slack to stretch probably a good foot off the desk, never snagged once, yet has managed to damage itself by apparently simply moving.

MX518
G400
and now another G400

All toast to the exact same problem. Where the cable enters the mouse, something manages to get hosed up and it gets increasingly temperamental. There's no visible damage whatsoever.

Pretty sure I should just buy a Deathadder or some poo poo because I'm apparently cursed. Logitech support has always done me right thankfully, but I'm worried that they'll tell me to gently caress off this time... and it's kind of irritating that last time they sent out a replacement it took a month and multiple phone calls for them to actually get it out.

I also have a working G500 but I really don't like it.

Don't forget to get on Logitech's case about this. They'll probably ship a replacement or something newer.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So I bought a $100 mouse a while back and while I love the stupid thing the left button is double clicking, the right mouse button is sticky and it isn't tracking for poo poo.

Does anyone now if Logitech is still doing the thing where they'll ship you a replacement, and if so should I go on their forums and whinge or email someone? Thoughts?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SkyEnzo posted:

Sorry to hear that. The MX is a joy to use. Mine recently broke but lasted many years and though I wont be buying another one (maybe one day) I will always think highly of that mouse. I used to hear great things about their replacement policy so hoping you get one that isnt so hosed.

I submitted a warranty claim on the support site so here's hoping all I need to do is ship it to them for a replace/refurb. They're getting back to me in two business days so we'll see.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bieeardo posted:

Ugh, the LMB in my M705 is getting flakier by the day. A part of me is tempted to get some absurd, wired gaming mouse with an assload of buttons, but I'd forget to use the things.

I think this is the third one I've been through under warranty-ish return; they tend to last me nine months to a year (I play MMOs and similar games a lot, so there's a lot of left-click, but not so much an issue with latency), and I'm not sure what I'll do next. I've always liked Logitech gear, but these button switches are for the birds.

The email I got after submitting a warranty claim on my Performance MX had a long list of dumb stuff to do like bypassing USB hubs, if any, switching ports, using 2.0 rather than 3.0, unpairing it from the dongle and uninstalling intellipoint and Logitech's software. I'm going to get around to doing all that stuff and writing back if anything is fixed but I'm pretty sure it's a hardware problem and I really don't want to take it apart myself after seeing how tiny that copper switch is and realizing that you have to bend it back juuuuust right without snapping it.

I hope they fix whatever it is in that switch that fails so very very often.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

Is there a wireless mouse that's similar in shape to the classic microsoft optical mouse?

:allears:

Lost mine in a divorce but it was pretty yellow by then.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
So I ordered a G602 yesterday because it was a great deal on amazon prime but looking at the specs again I noticed the whole 2 battery thing and it made me think, does this thing have a charger like the MX Performance I've been using? It says it ships with a cable to extend the USB dongle but nothing about a charging cable. It'd suck to have to buy batteries for it or get a whole separate charger thing. I'm spoiled because my old one is still running on the battery it came with.

Hopefully I can fix the left button that's been plaguing me on the Performance that I'd been scared to disassemble if that is the case and have the gaming mouse as a spare. The G602 looks kinda silly but I do appreciate the extra buttons.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

I don't own a G602 but I believe it uses standard AA batteries instead of an internal one. Goo posted a couple of years ago about batteries lasting a long time in his G602 and the mouse being very responsive even on the endurance setting.

I always like to see other people take things apart before I do it myself (mostly to see where all the clips and cables are) and luckily there's a youtube video specifically on Performance MX switch fixing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82z-OpHdBgE

Thank you. I saw a guide for generic Logitech switch fixes but that link is probably better.

The reason for my confusion was the Performance also has essentially an AA battery but it's Li- and charges internally and I just assumed that'd be standard with something priced at 80 bucks.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ultrabay2000 posted:

RE: battery life

All the AA Logitech mice with great battery life seem to come with Sanyo (now Panasonic) Enloop batteries:

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK-3MCCA4BA-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00JHKSN76

They seem to be the gold standard of rechargeable AAs. I've had the same one for some eight years and it outlived the original Performance MX it came with. I bought a refurbished Performance MX which came with a dud and so I reused the Enloop I already had and it seems to still last a good week or two on a charge... eight years later.

They still seem to work fine in the Apple Wireless Keyboard/Mouse I put them in four months ago without a recharge.

I think it is a good idea to get a smart charger for those guys. They are not super cheap so I only put them on specific things that are likely to get pampered, like keyboards.

If you have a Costco Membership you can get 12 for $20. They also have AAAs.

This is good advice. Specifically the part about looking at Costco, I need to check that out.

I ended up fixing my Performance MX (still running great on its original Sanyo Eneloop like you mentioned) and sending back the G602 as it wasn't an improvement. It's clickier than ever now and the thing that finally rubbed me the wrong way about the 602 was that it's mouse wheel tilts left and right but however you move it it registers as M3, with no way to change it in settings. So given that the MX has those two buttons plus the hidden one in the thumb rest it's only two fewer than the ones the gaming mouse has (which it uses to adjust DPI by default.) And you can dedicate a button on the MX to adjusting DPI (only two settings but enough for me.)

Other points against it were battery replacement and the low weight makes it feel "cheap" relative to the MX although they are about the same size:

The finish felt like it'd definitely keep clean as some reviews mentioned but the matte surface feels "cheaper" again than the MX's grippy sides. You can see in the pic the old one's buttons tend to get glossy from wear and I'll admit the G602 felt/looks better there.

The six thumb button cluster was maybe a bit much for me too but that's probably just cuz I'm used to the 3+1 mapped the way I like on my old one.

tl;dr goon is old, likes old thing

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bieeardo posted:

I've got a 602; the cord is just for plugging the not-Unifying RF dongle in. It takes 2 regular AA batteries, and is quite gentle on them in endurance mode.

Yeah, someone was complaining about it being jittery maybe because they had the dongle in the back of a gaming tower or something but I had no problem with it plugged into the side of my laptop without the extension.

Nice mouse really and I probably should have kept it but it felt like a waste of money after I'd repaired my old one.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chuu posted:

After ~3 years my G502 is starting to die. Specifically, when I left click; sometimes it comes out as a double click and is incredibly annoying. I'm not sure what the expected lifetime of a daily-use mouse is; but considering my MX512 lasted over a decade it's a little disappointing.

I have an actual question though!

I've had at least 3 mice across different brands fail this way; so I assume this is just an expected and common failure mode in the way mouse buttons are designed. What specifically is causing it though?

I can tell you exactly what is causing it (look up) and that it is physically possible to fix it yourself. Although when I did my MX Performouse I managed to screw up the feet which were covering the screw holes.

It's a tiny piece of copper that you have to gently flex back into shape.

Also you have to fit it back where it came from which is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCcjd4ZMgnY

Not sure if this is the exact video because the best ones have a tight close-up of the exact part and what you need to do to it and how to put it back in.

Or just buy a new one. :shrug: I have a theory that this is so common with Logitech mice because every other part of them lasts so long it's inevitable. And that they secretly channel money into cookie-clickers

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Duct Tape posted:

What's out there right now with a similar size/shape as a G9X? Preferably still with that hyperscroll (which I guess means Logitech, unless someone else is making scrollwheels like that).

I'm trying a G900 right now, and am going to return it tomorrow. I've got tiny hands, and this thing is way too large for me. Despite using for a week, I still can't find a comfortable grip.

Not to backtrack the thread to my mouse but the Performance MX has this and it's incredibly nice, still.

The G602 felt really bad in comparison and I can almost understand why logitech.com will show you a picture of a performance with the price tag of 99.99 which is what I paid at worst buy years ago. This was with the expectation that I'd be returning it in a couple of days for store credit.

Also, yeesh if you have small hands stay away from the 602 and the MX they're yuge

Anyone used the successors to the Performance Maus? One of them looked pretty sharp with the new graphics package but another reason to go to Best Buy is just to get your hands on it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

Break into Duct Tape's house and steal his $25 mint new G9X.

Trying to explain a $25 B&E to your new roomies at county will be a frustrating exercise where you end up trying to convince them that you're a pedophile just so you seem cool enough to hit.

-Wait you care about a computer peripheral that much? You are sick and depraved and we are gonna shun you so hard.

-Can I just get some broken teeth and raped in the b-hole a little?

-No one touches this man or speaks to him.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Megalixir posted:

Really bad back/forward button positioning, how is that ergonomic at all? they're on top of each other

You can switch all the buttons from the logitech control panel?

If you tried to use all of my bottons you would be surprised (because middle click was kinda iffy for a bit)

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mcbexx posted:

If you haven't already, look for replacement feet for your mouse and order them for $5.00.
So worth it. Even the brand new G502 had a slight "scratch" to it, now it's gone and so smooth, it's amazing.

I feel like they should package one set with each new mouse. Especially considering you will damage them getting in there to fix the busted LMB at some point.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

I fixed my Logitech LMB by re-bending the copper switch and I'm a klutz. Clicks strong now.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

skooma512 posted:

drat, my G400 is starting to die. It'll randomly go dead, almost always in game, and I have to reconnect it.

Guess I finally get to upgrade.

Also, the G402 is 70 bucks lol Amazon trippin'

I still love the thread title because I got my super overpriced (would have been 60 or 70 from amazon) MX from Best Buy because I just assumed I'd want to return it after a couple days

and you can still order it for that price from logitech.com

And I love the silly thing

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

You know best buy price matches Amazon, right?

Yes

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wowporn posted:

i bought a hundred dollar mouse (and fifteen), seems good

I will now use my 99.99 logitech MX to submit this post

I only paid as much because I was ready to take it back to BB instead of Amazon who had it much cheaper

drat thing is still here

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

astral posted:

Hope you took advantage of their price match policy.

I didn't because I expected to return it.

Stupid thing still works so I count it as a win.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

G502 arrived today, 1 day too late for free Overwatch weekend. I might have played more, but as it was, I played 1 game with the MX 518 and wasn't impressed enough to buy the game.

I also enabled color rotation on the LED logo for now. It's me, I'm the bling bling scum.

I know it's supposed to be gauche or whatever but why even have that as a feature and not use it?

It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dont be mean to me posted:

Microsoft hardware (Xbox consoles aside) has historically gone for neglect of other OSes, not obstruction.

Remember winmodems :allears:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

All mice are subject to faulty double-clicks due to failing microswitches. You will never escape it. It is inevitable.

Eh, I fixed mine and I'm not super coordinated or very bright really

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I didn't say it was unfixable.

I didn't say I had reading comprehension. :colbert:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Audax posted:

$6 for replacement feet

If i don't drop my MX Performance pro to death I may bite the bullet on these. With them half falling off it sticks on fabric

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

But then I have a lifetime supply of useless Teflon. It'll take me a decade to go through two sets anyway; why deal with cutting the mats to size myself?

Slip and slide for ants?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Lord Bude posted:

I bought a G703 about 4 or 5 months ago, and It's recently developed a problem where the scrollwheel will periodically reverse direction - eg I'll be scrolling down the page, and the page will suddenly scroll up for a split second, or vice versa. This has over the past few days become more pronounced to the point where in any given period of scrolling it will happen once every several rotations of the scrollwheel. It has become impossible to use the mouse to scroll through a document - I have to click and drag the scrollbar.

Is this a known issue with the mouse? Is it something I can fix in software or is my mouse hosed in which case I need to return it?

I hate to speak out of turn but it's a known issue with a lot of mice. It just reads wrong. Presumably something's dirty. Try hitting it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nam Taf posted:

I’ve just been allocated the Logitech MX Anywhere 2S at work. Is there seriously no way to make the scroll wheel, which clicks when you push down on it, the middle click button?

The Logitech software lets me change the button just behind it (which is placed at such an awkward angle that my finger will probably drop off trying to use it), and lets me change the sideways action of the scroll wheel, but not the vertical click action, which does nothing despite actually clicking down. Is this seriously the case or am I completely stupid and missing something obvious?

I’m just about ready to throw this mouse through my office window in frustration.

I returned the G602 for the opposite reason. The scrollwheel middle-clicked and tilt-clicked. Except the tilts couldn't be mapped to anything but middle-click.

Why Logitech? Why does it tilt but do nothing? Who thought that was a good idea?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

My G602 doesn't tilt click. Maybe yours was broken

I only used it for about an hour before I packed it back up but I could have sworn it tilted. And I'm 90% sure that resulted in a middle-click.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

He maps RMB to move forward?!? :psyduck:

That's classic. I used that for Q1 right shift was back. Strafe next to that and jump with rctrl

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Atomizer posted:

It sounds like you're talking about using the arrow keys (which I used to do back in the day) instead of WASD, but it also sounds like you're loving with me. :xd:

Nope, left pinky strafe left with the b, middle on m to go right, switch weapons with ring on n

If you're on WASD you have a wide stance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

logitech customer service in the us used to be legendarily good, like to the point you could just send a mouse in and get a replacement for any reason after any period of time no questions asked. i wouldn't know if it's still like that because i haven't had a problem with a logitech mouse since 2005.

They're still coasting on that reputation with us olds but it's not like that at all anymore. Physically I've not had a problem besides the inevitable necessary home repair on the LMB but somewhere between Windows 10 and Chrome (and FF) you can run into trouble with smooth scroll such that you can not scroll at all in either browser but you can scroll in explorer. So you end up doing a bunch of troubleshooting steps particular to a browser before you find out it's smoothscroll that's at fault. Then on the Logitech support forums someone says hallelujah my problem has been solved and the solution is to turn off the feature. :thunk: