Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I love my MX700. It's using the shell from an MX500 because I didn't like the paint job, but it's lasted a good five or six years now with very few problems. I accidentally broke the mousewheel so it doesn't click, it just scrolls smoothly, and sometimes it refuses to left-click properly, but bashing it on the desk fixes that for a couple of months.

It's outlated two computers now, and I really should think about replacing it, but it's been such a great mouse. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

Half a year ago I bought a Logitech corded USB mouse for $10 at Target and recently the left clicker started bugging out and registering twice at a time on occasion or a bunch of times when held down. This sucks when playing any video game so I called Logitech up and the guy is sending a newer model of the mouse that costs $20, and they don't want the old mouse back. :c00l:
I could have got any mouse of theirs between 20 and 30 bucks, and it was the most expensive corded one. I'm afraid of wireless mice and having to change batteries or them being unresponsive. Am I unreasonably afraid of technology in this case?

I've been using a Logitech MX700 for a good five years now, no problems at all, except for the same left-clicker problem on occasion. (Which you can solve by banging the bottom flat of the mouse against the wall or against your hand)

If the batteries do run out, 15 seconds on the charger keeps it running for another couple of minutes until you can switch the batteries out. With newish fully charged batteries, a full charge lasts about a week.

Wireless mice have come along to the point where as long as there's a reasonably clear line of sight to the receiver, there's no issues at all. A good wireless mouse is much better than a cheap corded one.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

C-Euro posted:

The left click on my Logitech mouse (not sure what model, but PID LZ515RD is on the receiver) is starting to give out on me, and with 3+ years of use I think it's time for a new one.

In the meantime, if it starts doing that thing where it double clicks instead of single, which a lot of Logitech mice seem to, pick it up and slap the bottom of it with your hand, fairly hard. It should be ok for a while after.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Linux Nazi posted:

My new-ish G500 has been doing this a lot lately, it seems to get stuck in a mode where it wants to double click every 2nd or 3rd click.

The button feels absolutely perfect, and to me it seemed like a strange software issue. I've not bothered to get a replacement since I'm not sure it will help, but maybe I'll look into it.

What are the characteristics of the double-click issue that you allude to? Should I notice something physical about the mouse w/r/t the buttons feeling mushy or anything?

Nothing feels different, just sometimes when you click, it sends a double instead of a single. I have no idea why slapping it works, maybe it just needs the punishment?

Try it and see if it fixes it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

AlphaDog posted:

Eh, I'll go without then. The way I hold my mouse has been called "weird", but I find it super comfortable. I sort of rest the base of my palm on the edge of the table and then manipulate the mouse with my fingers and palm. If I'm gaming I use it a bit more traditionally. Eh, works for me I guess :)

Just noticed I do the same thing, I generally have the pad the side of the desk with something though.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

:hfive:

Probably doesn't apply to most goons, but I suspect this may otherwise be a frequent reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa9DLxDtPtc
Somebody also did a nice animation of it.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Mush Man posted:

My five and a half year old Logitech MX 3200 mouse has started having clicking issues. Sometimes it double-clicks on a single click, doesn't click at all on a single click and releases a click when I'm holding down. It's about time I got a new one.

You never got an answer so I'm pulling this from the previous page, it's useful to know for anyone with a Logitech mouse really. Pick up the mouse and whack the bottom of it hard against the palm of your hand. Bam, your mouse is fixed!

I bought one of these a while back as an emergency mouse for my laptop, it's lasted surprisingly well but the scroll wheel is awful.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

fuseshock posted:

So I used to own a Logitech MX Revolution which had left click issues registering as double clicks so I dumped it, and now my G300 is doing the exact same thing a year and a half later. Is there any mice that won't do this to me?

Try slapping the bottom of it hard, or slamming it bottom-flat against a wall/desk once (not hard enough to damage, but enough to jar it), that normally fixes logitech mice.

I picked up a Kensington Trackball off a carboot a while back, new in box, for £3.50. I love it. I'd never used a trackball before but it's lovely. It's a little difficult to aim in games, but apart from that, I totally forget I'm using it.

The dude in England, carboots are a great place to look for computer peripherals. Most of the stuff there is junk, but there's the odd gem!